Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Posting a present from the UK?

Options
  • 01-03-2021 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

Have relatives in the UK who want to send some presents to a child for an upcoming birthday - various Nintendo Switch accessories and games etc. Is there anything that needs to be watched out for on this re. Brexit and potential charges etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

best option is to order on amazon and get it gift wrapped. Saves the hassle of charges. Amazon will deduct the UK vat and replace it with irish vat.

Gifts are subject to taxes when sent from a non-eu country into a EU country once the value is over €45

So if its around that value it is important to clearly mark it is a gift and keep the value under €40 to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

silver2020 wrote: »
    best option is to order on amazon and get it gift wrapped. Saves the hassle of charges. Amazon will deduct the UK vat and replace it with irish vat.

Gifts are subject to taxes when sent from a non-eu country into a EU country once the value is over €45

So if its around that value it is important to clearly mark it is a gift and keep the value under €40 to be safe.

Cheers, appreciate that!

OmegaGene wrote: »
    They can always buy from smyths over here and get it delivered

They could in theory but being Brits they didn't think about that and have already bought it/them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

They could in theory but being Brits they didn't think about that and have already bought it/them!

hence they voted brexit :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I used parcel2go (iirc) quite a bit in the run up to xmas for sending bits and pieces back home - excellent service, dint have to leave the house. Not sure how brexit effects things but I would assume it would be priced into the quote received via the web site.

• Advertisement

silver2020 wrote: »
    hence they voted brexit :D:D

They didn’t actually, they’re remainers. But like a lot of Brits they just haven’t had to deal with this issue up until now, and rather than find out themselves they asked me!

theteal wrote: »
    I used parcel2go (iirc) quite a bit in the run up to xmas for sending bits and pieces back home - excellent service, dint have to leave the house. Not sure how brexit effects things but I would assume it would be priced into the quote received via the web site.

Thanks! Will have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Have relatives in the UK who want to send some presents to a child for an upcoming birthday - various Nintendo Switch accessories and games etc. Is there anything that needs to be watched out for on this re. Brexit and potential charges etc.?

Interest too as I've to return laptop to laptops direct, and apparently warranty won't cover the return. About 400 in value so let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Interest too as I've to return laptop to laptops direct, and apparently warranty won't cover the return. About 400 in value so let me know how you get on.

Totally different to what is asked here.

Try ups standard service. It allows you to state that it's a warranty return. Best to include original invoice.

About €25 to collect and deliver

Advertisement