Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any chance of getting BTEA for a QQI 8 course if you have an older QQI 9 qualificatio

Options
  • 26-02-2021 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Been unemployed for a year and my LES case officer pushed to do a Springboard course. I choose a QQI 8 course, which is four evening hours a week. Got in, applied for PTEO. Was just informed by DEASP that the course is technically "full time" so I need to apply for BTEA. However I've a MSc from sixteen years ago which I believe means I'm not eligible to get BTEA for this course? In which case my only option is to quit the course or lose my JB payments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭zell12

You won't get BTEA.
    Did they really say that 4 hours a week is full-time?

I suggest you appeal the PTEO refusal in writing, highlighting that you're out of work year, emphasising this course will enhance your employability, or get the LES case officer to do it since they pushed it.
    A decision to refuse the PTEO should be based on availability and this should be explained to the person involved so they may appeal the decision on the same basis.
    Since a decision to allow or refuse the PTEO is based on the person's continuing availability for employment on JA / JB, this decision is statutory and may be appealed to the Appeals Office.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/f4113d-operational-guidelines-back-to-education-part-time-education-option/?referrer=https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Education---Part-Time-Education-Option.aspx#eligibility

• Registered Users Posts: 48 EVanB

zell12 wrote: »
    You won't get BTEA.
    Did they really say that 4 hours a week is full-time?

I suggest you appeal the PTEO refusal in writing, highlighting that you're out of work year, emphasising this course will enhance your employability, or get the LES case officer to do it since they pushed it.

Yeah, I had to send in the timetable along with the PTEO option. The timetable lists the course name and "Full Time" beside it. Not sure if thats what swayed the deciding officer or if they did any research beyond that. They didnt give much information when they rang, basically said the course was full time so I have to apply for BTEA and they'd post me out the forms this coming week.

Thanks for the advice I'll appeal the PTEO and fire off the BTEA form as well I guess.

EVanB wrote: »
    The timetable lists the course name and "Full Time" beside it. Not sure if thats what swayed the deciding officer or if they did any research beyond that.

I'm fairly sure that they don't decide whether the course is full time or not. It's officially designated as full time or part time by the course provider. This isn't related to how many class hours are involved, but rather, how many hours are deemed as being required to achieve the qualification at the end.

E.g. a science/tech course will often involve a lot of practical classes, tutorials, and lectures, and most of the non class time is spent on assignments. Whereas something like English literature would require a lot of reading as well as assignments, so class time is minimal but because you're expected to basically be reading 24/7 the overall hours required for the course are full-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 EVanB

I'm fairly sure that they don't decide whether the course is full time or not. It's officially designated as full time or part time by the course provider. This isn't related to how many class hours are involved, but rather, how many hours are deemed as being required to achieve the qualification at the end.

E.g. a science/tech course will often involve a lot of practical classes, tutorials, and lectures, and most of the non class time is spent on assignments. Whereas something like English literature would require a lot of reading as well as assignments, so class time is minimal but because you're expected to basically be reading 24/7 the overall hours required for the course are full-time.

It just seems like an odd edge case though. It's a full time springboard course, that consist of eight hours a week in the evening. It's "full time" so PTEO doesnt cover it, but its in the evening so BTEA doesnt cover it as its not a full time day course. Why bother letting unemployed people apply for it as it would seem that none of them could do it?

Advertisement