Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looper *SPOILERS FROM POST 137*

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

could the story not been pretty much the same without the tk though.... cyd could have grown up and sought revenge without tk, the tk just made him powerful enough to take them all on, but again he still could have tried to kill them all without it
    it was the more the fact that the rainmaker was just one person, nobody to dictate terms with, its not like gangs where they eventually come to some sort of arrangement that this is my part of the city and thats yours, and you have a few skirmishes here and there, but if you disagree with the rainmaker hell simply rip you apart with his mind,

without his powers he wouldnt have lasted 10 minutes, these guys had a constant supply of silver and gold to send back to the loopers, they were clearly very powerful people and the rainmaker took them all out in a matter of years by himself, he didnt have to climb up the ladder or any of that ****, he simply walked in and took over,

and also you would have had to witness his ascent to the top if he didnt have the TK, at least with the TK they dont have to explain as much,

i thought it was a very good film, at least it was different from a lot of the stuff you see these days, a lot of studios like to play it safe, making alterations to the directors ideas to appeal to wider audiences, the fact this film was so successful and it was from independent studio can only mean good things ahead,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I've just seen this and I have to say I thought it was one of the most retarded films I've seen in a long time. This and Prometheus struck me the same way. A feeling of meh when the titles rolled followed by building annoyance the next day as thought back more and more on the plot holes that were in the film. I genuinely thought this was a steaming pile of poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

don ramo wrote: »
    it was the more the fact that the rainmaker was just one person, nobody to dictate terms with, its not like gangs where they eventually come to some sort of arrangement that this is my part of the city and thats yours, and you have a few skirmishes here and there, but if you disagree with the rainmaker hell simply rip you apart with his mind,

without his powers he wouldnt have lasted 10 minutes, these guys had a constant supply of silver and gold to send back to the loopers, they were clearly very powerful people and the rainmaker took them all out in a matter of years by himself, he didnt have to climb up the ladder or any of that ****, he simply walked in and took over,

and also you would have had to witness his ascent to the top if he didnt have the TK, at least with the TK they dont have to explain as much,

i thought it was a very good film, at least it was different from a lot of the stuff you see these days, a lot of studios like to play it safe, making alterations to the directors ideas to appeal to wider audiences, the fact this film was so successful and it was from independent studio can only mean good things ahead,
    We didn't see Kaiser Sose's ascent in "The Usual Suspects" and that worked pretty well without powers. I really didn't like the TK aspect to it. I liked the film (didn't think it was amazing or anything. Just a good yarn to watch) but I felt that it would have worked better if they use that aspect of it. I think it would have made The Rainmaker a much more powerful character if it was sheer force of will and hate that made him what he became.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Watched this last Saturday night & thought it a good addition to the genre.
    Instead of looking for time travel plot holes I just took it for what it was, an interesting story well told.

A few things I noted:
    Why bother killing Jeff Daniels off screen NCFOM style, seemed odd.

Did anyone else think the young Gatt man was going to be revealed as Daniel's younger self.

The sequence where Paul Dano's future self was racing to get to the address while losing body parts was good but surely he knew it was a trap.
    In fact there was no reason to be operating on his body at the same address.

If Emily Blunt was that annoyed with the tree stump why not get the young lad to rip it out with his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

I watched this again over the weekend and it doesn't really hold up to repeat viewing at all, too many niggling little problems really. Firstly, the logic behind it crumbles under the slightest degree of analysis - i don't expect time travel stories to be entirely consistent but this particular one makes no sense. Actually it's almost insulting how glibly the writer blatantly informs the audience that they shouldn't worry about little things like a story's internal consistency. Then there is the lazy info dump narration that runs over the course of the first 10-15 mins or so (possibly even more). I gave this a pass before as it's a complicated enough scenario to set up but it could and should probably have been handled better. Also in regard to the kid, although a great performance, what an annoying little prick. I just wanted him to die a horrible death. There were also too many loose ends and red herrings, for example, the odd relationship between the boss and the inept looper (all build up and no pay off), the relationship between protagonist and the prostitute/stripper or whatever she was, which would have been a throwaway red herring if it had just gone nowhere, but to add to the oddness of it all we have the coincidence of her child being one of the targets, which again ends up going nowhere really

It's a shame really because I thought it was a decent enough effort the first time I watched it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Did anyone else think the young Gatt man was going to be revealed as Daniel's younger self.

i did think that but instead it was just a wasted opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I watched it, I enjoyed it but its somewhat over-rated.

I am sure this has been answered already but why did the assassins kill old Joe's wife so easily in the future when its meant to be virtually impossible to dispose of a body and then go to the bother of sending him back to be killed. Sort of defeats the purpose. Why didn't they just kill him as well?

Also, the time travel paradox thing, really just shows what a masterpiece the original Terminator was, no film since has managed to merge the time travel conflict issues so well, watching Looper just made me feel that it just wasn't original.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

bullvine wrote: »
    Also, the time travel paradox thing, really just shows what a masterpiece the original Terminator was, no film since has managed to merge the time travel conflict issues so well

Twelve Monkeys.

Also, the targeting of three children to be executed, why didn't they just get the terminator to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Twelve Monkeys.

Absolutely love that movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Just caught this on DVD last night having avoided this thread and watched no trailers. It looked great and was well played, but the plot: dear, oh dear, what a heap of inconsistent nonsense.

There was a steady level of WTF? throughout, but having JGL narrate the ending was just too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    The sequence where Paul Dano's future self was racing to get to the address while losing body parts was good but surely he knew it was a trap.
    In fact there was no reason to be operating on his body at the same address.

Of course he knew it was a 'trap'. He was going there to be shot. The longer he left it, the more parts they cut off his present self, leaving him more and more mutilated for the 30 year period before he gets sent back.

The more pertinent question would be, why didn't he kill himself years ago given he was missing legs, hands, tongue etc, in which case the future self would have just disappeared (a la Bruce Willis at the end). That said, the doc may have kept him alive for the 30 year period, but who knows.

There are a lot of parts which don't stand up to investigation - for what its worth I really enjoyed the movie though.

• Site Banned Posts: 28 ping123

I have to say I really liked this film, though I think you have to have your head screwed on to understand whats happening in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

ping123 wrote: »
    I think you have to have your head screwed on to understand whats happening in it!

Nah, the plot is summed up by Bruce in the diner yelling at his younger self not to ask about time travel because it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Nah, the plot is summed up by Bruce in the diner yelling at his younger self not to ask about time travel because it doesn't matter.

and he's right, time travel movies are always full of plot holes, goes with the territory, even BTTF has them, so you accept the time travel mechanic in whatever way its used in the movie's universe and go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭paulieeye

krudler wrote: »
    and he's right, time travel movies are always full of plot holes, goes with the territory, even BTTF has them, so you accept the time travel mechanic in whatever way its used in the movie's universe and go with it.

the terminator was only developed because skynet sent a terminator back to the 80's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

krudler wrote: »

But the problem with looper is that it creates paradoxes and does nothing to stick to any form of logic to explain them. It's like the film makers thought the had a smart idea for a storyline but were too dumb or lazy that flesh out the idea and have it make sense even within it's own universe.

I liked the film but its definitely over-rated, personally, I think Donnie Zayn Jolly Lawn handled the time travel paradox better than any other movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

While I enjoyed the premise and execution of the film, the dubstep soundtrack and constant barrage of intense noises really hindered my enjoyment of it.

It felt really over the top and obnoxious.

Advertisement