Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Paddocks, Donabate

• 14-09-2019 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I don’t think there’s a thread yet on The Paddocks in Donabate. Have been eagerly awaiting a viewing but can’t make it today. Would love to hear what people think if they view it this afternoon. We’re interested in the 4 bed semi detached but I think the asking price is quite
    high for the area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Laniakean

Hoping to put a deposit down shortly at this development.
    Would love to hear from any potential/ future neighbors!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Diasydoodledoo

Laniakean wrote: »
    Hoping to put a deposit down shortly at this development.
    Would love to hear from any potential/ future neighbors!

Which house type are you looking at? We’re hoping to go ahead also but on a 3 bed rather than 4 bed. Need to wait for the next phase release.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TheProfessor23

Hi,

Does anybody know when Phase 2 of The Paddocks will be available (ie put down a deposit)?

There seems to be a lot of interest in Phase 2, so hopefully the prices do not increase because of the interest!
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tradewell

Hi Guys, I am pretty much interested on the phase 2 houses of paddocks in donabate as well. I have read some reviews which I thought I need to consider about donabate's traffic, overcrowded trains and the village's infrastructure for more people in to the town.

Do you guys have any views on the stuff above with respect to Paddocks. I know semple woods is over crowded already so I didnt want to go there.

Lets have a healthy conversation. Thanks in advance :)

Which house type are you looking at? We’re hoping to go ahead also but on a 3 bed rather than 4 bed. Need to wait for the next phase release.

Same, apparently phase 2 due for release early 2020?

• Advertisement

tradewell wrote: »
    Hi Guys. ..I have read some reviews which I thought I need to consider about donabate's traffic, overcrowded trains and the village's infrastructure for more people in to the town.

Do you guys have any views on the stuff above with respect to Paddocks. I know semple woods is over crowded already so I didnt want to go there.

Agree about semple woods...viewed the show house recently, and the houses themselves were nice enough, but I can't get past the sprawling anonymity of so many identikit houses..and another couple of hundred of of houses to go in yet!

As regards infrastructure, yes, the busyness of the trains might be a bit difficult, but no more so than any other busy station along the commuter route.
    I believe theres a new bus service started recently, and if/when the dart extension goes ahead, the increased frequency should alleviate things.
    In terms of other infrastructure, there isn't a lot of commercial or hospitality development, but there is some ... hopefully an influx of new people would make the place more attractive for some budding entrepreneur to open somewhere else to go for brunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Elessar

tradewell wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I am pretty much interested on the phase 2 houses of paddocks in donabate as well. I have read some reviews which I thought I need to consider about donabate's traffic, overcrowded trains and the village's infrastructure for more people in to the town.

Donabate is lovely I lived there last year. All your points are valid - traffic is getting worse, the trains are overcrowded (and only going to get worse) and it's too small a town to handle all the extra housing.

However I'd be more concerned about the amount of social housing going into the town. A massive 1200 home site is being built in ballymastone with at least 20% social housing (more than the 10% set down by government). As well as that I've heard REITs are block buying housing and apartments across most new developments there and leasing them long term to fingal for social housing, so the real figures in the town will be much higher. In 10 years lovely Donabate will be a social welfare ghetto.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Agree about semple woods...viewed the show house recently, and the houses themselves were nice enough, but I can't get past the sprawling anonymity of so many identikit houses..and another couple of hundred of of houses to go in yet!

As regards infrastructure, yes, the busyness of the trains might be a bit difficult, but no more so than any other busy station along the commuter route.
    I believe theres a new bus service started recently, and if/when the dart extension goes ahead, the increased frequency should alleviate things.
    In terms of other infrastructure, there isn't a lot of commercial or hospitality development, but there is some ... hopefully an influx of new people would make the place more attractive for some budding entrepreneur to open somewhere else to go for brunch!

The Dart extension has been promised for ages and will likely never happen - also to remember that a Dart will likely add 15 minutes onto any existing journey to Dublin with increased stops etc along the way.

Live in Donabate myself, lovely area, but all the concerns raised above are valid - however all of these could be raised about any town in North Dublin.

The lack of investment in transport and amenities from Fingal CC has been really stark (in contrast to the sheer number of houses being built), and the lack of investment in transport links is unforgivable from successive governments - however all towns on the train line in Dublin North are affected by this.

Same, apparently phase 2 due for release early 2020?

Yeah they are due to release in the jan/feb 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭65535

Elessar wrote: »
    However I'd be more concerned about the amount of social housing going into the town. A massive 1200 home site is being built in ballymastone with at least 20% social housing (more than the 10% set down by government). As well as that I've heard REITs are block buying housing and apartments across most new developments there and leasing them long term to fingal for social housing, so the real figures in the town will be much higher. In 10 years lovely Donabate will be a social welfare ghetto.

May you never lose your job and be in need of social welfare...........

• Advertisement

Donabate is lovely I lived there last year. All your points are valid - traffic is getting worse, the trains are overcrowded (and only going to get worse) and it's too small a town to handle all the extra housing.

I can't agree more of what you said now. That was the only thing keeps disturbing me on to take a fine decision as this is going to be my one time life investment (I guess not just for me for a lot of people). If these things happens the schools will be overcrowded as well. Unfortunately, I didnt want to go to Lucan side of Dublin. My options are getting too narrowed.

Theoretically, I see there are large opportunities for housing development between donabate and portrane. If there is going to be social housing like these then I will be screwed.

I've heard this before, but haven't yet seen any source documentation to support the idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There's quite a bit about the Ballymastone development on http://www.donabateportrane.net. The council actually originally wanted the estate to be 30% social and 20% affordable housing until the developers had to make them realise that they could never sell the other 50% with such high social housing numbers!

It's a big worry for those of us living on the Peninsula tbh. It's a great place to live at the moment (despite the traffic chaos from all the development and roadworks at the moment) and while the trains are busy and a seat is a rarity in rush hour, I've never not been able to board a train due to them being full.

The local infrastructure simply doesn't exist to support the amount of development going on and it's questionable that it ever will be able to (as a peninsula with one road in and one road out - the new bypass of the town is purely an exercise in opening up land for development and will just move the traffic jams from the village to the Hearse Road.

Like I said, I love living here and am hopeful that the limited opportunities for development within Portrane itself gives me some encouragement that the worst case scenario for us personally is simply having to drive through a bit of a kip to get to our end of the peninsula but Fingal County Council have made it blatantly clear that they see the area (and Rush/Lusk, Balbriggan and the rest of the North County) as something of a dumping ground for social housing with no real effort to improve local facilities to keep up with the developments.

The current level of development will put the population of Donabate / Portrane at roughly 20,000 people within a decade (larger than Sligo or Athlone) yet there's not even a discussion about re-opening the Garda Station (we're covered by Swords atm), upgrading the Community Centre etc. A larger population will no doubt have a positive impact on the number of local businesses in the village but let's be honest, an increased choice in takeaways and hairdressers isn't going to do anything to keep local teenagers out of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Diasydoodledoo

Just wondering if anyone has heard any updates on the next phase an if they’ve plans to show the 3 beds?

Looks like Phase 2 is going to be launched soon (Covid 19 dependent). Does anybody know if the prices are staying the same as Phase 1?
    Also, is Phase 2 the final phase? ie. no Phase 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Currently sale agreed in phase 2 which will be delievered between September and December (fully expecting a delay in delivery due to covid-19). Phase 3 is to the back of the site, so sometime next year I'm guessing. Last I saw there were only 4 beds and the 3 bed east facing terraces in the middle of the build left. The houses are big for 3 beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 luckycat007

Do you know what the prices are for the 3/4 beds - are the plans from fingal county f18a/0302 ?

Do you know what the prices are for the 3/4 beds - are the plans from fingal county f18a/0302 ?

The prices were starting at 380-400 for 3 bed terraces and semi-d depending on the aspect. East facing were cheaper by about 5k.

The 4 beds were selling at about 440.

Planning reference is F15A/0456

Sheeps wrote: »
    The prices were starting at 380-400 for 3 bed terraces and semi-d depending on the aspect. East facing were cheaper by about 5k.

The 4 beds were selling at about 440.

Planning reference is F15A/0456

Cool thanks for the info. Do you know by any chance 8f there are units available?

Cool thanks for the info. Do you know by any chance 8f there are units available?

I'm really not sure what has sold. I got the last west rear facing property in phase two. All of the east facing terrace houses were still unsold but there was another set of viewings after the one I put my deposit down in. That was a couple of months ago, so I'm not sure what has happened since then. It's possible they're all sold or that people have pulled out of the sale (but I haven't seen them being advertised since then).

• Advertisement

I'm really not sure what has sold. I got the last west rear facing property in phase two. All of the east facing terrace houses were still unsold but there was another set of viewings after the one I put my deposit down in. That was a couple of months ago, so I'm not sure what has happened since then. It's possible they're all sold or that people have pulled out of the sale (but I haven't seen them being advertised since then).

Thanks for the info!

One more question, can attic conversions be done on these homes?

One more question, can attic conversions be done on these homes?

I'm not actually sure. I've been asking myself the same thing actually. There's quite a bit of height in them, and and you could definitely put in a second stair case above where the stairs are located, but I'm not sure what kind of frame the roof is built with.

It's something I might get in touch with the builder about given that they haven't started work on my phase yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tinkerbell16

Anyone who has already moved in on here to let us know how it is and is there much of a snag list.. Any tips for potential buyers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Adans

Hi, we’ve expressed interest in buying one of the 4 bed houses in phase 3. However we’ve found it very difficult to get any information from the estate agent. We typically get no response or a “sorry we’re delayed response” from them. Has anyone else experienced this? Any tips on who best to contact?

Thanks in advance
    Alan

Adans wrote: »
    Hi, we’ve expressed interest in buying one of the 4 bed houses in phase 3. However we’ve found it very difficult to get any information from the estate agent. We typically get no response or a “sorry we’re delayed response” from them. Has anyone else experienced this? Any tips on who best to contact?

Thanks in advance
    Alan

Yeah things have gone quiet a bit for the moment. That being said when I went to the viewings in phase 1 they were diligent and eventually called me back giving me a preview of phase 2 during which I put a deposit down so, I can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Beithk13

Just signed contracts on a 4 bed detached. Looks like they’re making good progress, apparently the finish of the houses is very good. Same builder has built a few estates in donabate and Howth, and all positive feedback from the people Iv talked to.

Beithk13 wrote: »
    Just signed contracts on a 4 bed detached. Looks like they’re making good progress, apparently the finish of the houses is very good. Same builder has built a few estates in donabate and Howth, and all positive feedback from the people Iv talked to.

Congrats. Phase 2 completion looking at June 2021 by the sounds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Beithk13

Just wondering if anyone currently living in the Paddocks can give details around whether or not the builder was willing to engage around changes to socket points and minor kitchen details.

• Advertisement

Hi, just wondering has any current residents in the Paddocks carried out an attic conversion before they moved in? Or if any future residents plan to do the same before they move in?
    I am sale agreed on a 3 bed semi-d in Phase 2.

Advertisement