Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forecasting job interview

• 22-09-2013 11:11pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thought I'd post here instead of the jobs forum as I'd probably get a better response.

So about a year after finishing my meteorology masters degree, I've got my first interview for an internship position at a private forecasting company.
    Seeing as it's my first interview relating to meteorology, I was wondering if there was anyone who has done these types of interviews before and if they would have any tips.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Ah best of luck man ! , though i havent been in that situation , i do HOPE to be though in the next year or 2 . All that id say is be yourself , talk about what part of meteorology you like most perhaps and yeah , good luck again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I can't give you any useful interview tips but can wish you the very best of luck - they'd be fools not to hire you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I know nothing about meteorology, so I can't help with that part.

Other than that, obviously read up as much as you can about the company beforehand. Also having a knowledge of the differences between a public entity like Met Eireann and private companies would be important, as would knowing about industry trends (is more stuff being privatised, are the private companies working as subcontractors to the public sector, competitors or both?)

If you've kept any contacts from your course, especially lecturers, don't be afraid to get in contact with them to get any advice/info they might have. If they're doing their job properly, they'll be more than happy to help, from a purely professional point of view and also from an improve-the-statistics point of view (number of people in work after the course).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Tips for interviews (in no particular order) :

1. Make the interviewers job easy. Try to answer the question being asked, avoiding merely talking around the topic. Keep your answers concise with the odd example thrown in to show your level of understanding and ability to apply what you have learned.

2. Do your research, know the employer well before you go into the interview. Who are they marketing too? (actually what Lucena suggests above)

3. Handling Pressure. If they ask you something that you are not sure about, how you answer the question will give them a glimpse into how you perform under pressure, so don't be afraid to ask for a moment while you collect your thoughts, and if you come up with nothing, perhaps suggest how you might manage that in a work situation. eg: If that scenario was to arise, I would consult with .... (staff, manuals, research..etc) to find out more about that topic, that's one of the things I look forward to learning on this internship.

4. Preparation, preparation, preparation. Take the advice above regarding contacting lecturers, also think about what kind of questions they might ask. Also prepare what skills, training, learning, you might be able to offer them. Think about the things you enjoyed doing on your course, what was the skill or knowledge related to that area.

5. Handling Nerves. Perhaps you are comfortable with interviews or perhaps your one of the millions who are not! either way, one tip to help you stay calm is to remember to breathe. Lots of people tend to actually hold their breath while they are thinking, reducing the oxygen available to the brain and also increasing the stress response. So BREATHE.. Do a few deep breathing exercises in the run up to the interview and again before you go into it. It will calm you down and will help you look relaxed but attentive.

6. Possible answers: Think about: Why do you want the position?, what are your long term plans, what things would you like to learn, what have you to offer the company (perhaps bring along an outline of any original research you completed), what you might do in x scenario, how you get on working with others/working independently, and just how passionate are you about meteorology. Also these days so much focus is on money, and they are commercial so perhaps think about the financial side of meteorology. You have a good educational background, what other weather related questions do you think you might be asked? what about specific IT systems, pieces of equipment...etc...

7. Finally Smile. The people over the table are just that, people, and a smile goes a long way. Oh yeah and eye contact. Try to look at them in the eye when you are answering (without staring) and SMILE!

Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Don't mention seaweed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The most important thing to remember for a forecasting interview is no matter what the first question is, your answer should be, "Whoa, I did not see that question coming...." :p

But seriously best of luck with the interview, hope you nail it :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Thanks for the tips guys.
    It was a phone interview so thankfully appearance wasn't anything to worry about. Was absolutely bricking it beforehand but did OK in it I think. Talked about the course and my thesis and what I'd bring to the job. Didn't really blank on any of their questions thankfully but I did realise that the word "grinds" (as in Maths grinds) doesn't really exist across the water :pac: They were genuinely confused as to what I was trying to say in my CV.

Probably didn't do enough to get the job but it was definitely a good experience. I've put in for a few more forecasting jobs in the UK and hopefully the experience will stand to me.

Thanks again guys. Hopefully if I get a job I'll feel more confident to get involved in more technical discussion here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Good for you. Most people put in a better performance than they think they do. Telephone interviews are a bit different right enough but I am sure that your interest shone through.

Looking forward to you throwing your forecasting abilities about here a bit more too.. sure aren't we all only learning.. lol so don't be waiting for the job to come up... risk it for a biscuit here :)

Advertisement