Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Asylum Seekers Getting Apartments in Ballinamore - mod warning in OP (18/10)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If what you claim is true, then their application will be refused.
    The fact remains, they will be more welcome than a similar number of inner city dolers....
    Now, I wonder why that would be?

Application refused then appeal after appeal and we all know they will never be sent home there is more chance of Aliens landing on the White House lawn.

There is no reason anybody from Nigeria should ever have an Irish passport none but as we know they are handed out like candy and anybody who objects gets screamed down as a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Application..................... racist.

Sorry, but you seem to have missed the question put to you earlier. You stated

.Bringing in Christian hating Muslims is all they want

As I asked earlier - Who wants this? How are they doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

The fact remains, they will be more welcome than a similar number of inner city dolers....

You have proof of this "fact" I assume?:rolleyes:

Most likely inner city dolers are as welcome as the "asylum seekers".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There is no reason anybody from Nigeria should ever have an Irish passport none but as we know they are handed out like candy and anybody who objects gets screamed down as a racist.

Candy that costs a thousand euro a shot.

Back about 2003 the hotel in Ballinamore (McAllisters) was used as a centre for refugees.
    I never heard of any trouble in the town, and it did boost trade to local shops and suppliers.
    I worked for a fruit and veg distributor and we delivered weekly.
    It was the only place taking boxes of Aubgerines and the like!
    There aren't 130 empty apartments in the town, but there could be 40 , so probably over 130 bed spaces.
    There is a huge Tesco's, enormous for a town of its size, and with underground parking.
    1300 extra families wouldn't put it under pressure.....
    No one is proposing they would live there forever, but its miles better than a war torn country where you don't know who the next person barging in the door with an AK47 is going to be...

Actually the hotel was a closed one at the time, the sliabh an iarainn hotel, not Mc Allisters.
    There was no problems at all, why would there be?
    & a lot of those people in that hotel ended up staying in the town. And they are all welcome
    No point having empty houses or apartments around the town, a few extra people should be more than welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If you were working class, there wouldn't be apartments given out for free.

Gatling wrote: »
    The guards too

Up until approx 10 uers ago, Ballinamore had a 24 hour q day Garda station, with lots of guards. Do you think a direct provision centre will somehow give the few guards there a bigger workload?

I doubt very much that Drew would agree

• Registered Users Posts: 26,179 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Only problem I'd have with this is the concentration as well.

noodler wrote: »
    Only problem I'd have with this is the concentration as well.

What concentration ?
    What is the problem?

bubblypop wrote: »
    What concentration ?
    What is the problem?

Ask the locals

https://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/leitrim/ballinamore-residents-feel-bringing-100-asylum-seekers-town-madness/

Seems your earlier assertion of asylum seekers being no problem was slightly skewed as there was only 25 of them...not over 100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Do you think a direct provision centre will somehow give the few guards there a bigger workload?

Absolutely yes

Gatling wrote: »
    Absolutely yes

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,179 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What concentration ?
    What is the problem?

I am taking the population of the town as mentioned in the thread as gospel.

So if it's really 7-800 people then I really think 130 additional people begs a huge number of service, emlooyment, integration issues.

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Ask the locals

https://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/leitrim/ballinamore-residents-feel-bringing-100-asylum-seekers-town-madness/

Seems your earlier assertion of asylum seekers being no problem was slightly skewed as there was only 25 of them...not over 100

That's not true, there was more than 25 & the centre was open for years.

That's not true, there was more than 25 & the centre was open for years.

Whats not true?
    There certainly doesnt seem to have been over 100.

noodler wrote: »
    I am taking the population of the town as mentioned in the thread as gospel.

So if it's really 7-800 people then I really think 130 additional people begs a huge number of service, emlooyment, integration issues.

The population of the town is just under 1000, but here are many more living outside the town boundary for census reasons.
    Employment? Asylum seekers cannot work
    Service? What service issues exactly?
    Integration? What do you think they should do to integrate?

Just out of respect to the OP Jamie2k9 this is what this thread is about the last few pages are off topic for some reason.:rolleyes:

Anyway I have had my say this is a reminder of the original post for those yet to post and hopefully restore the thread to it's original track and intention.:)

I did post a link earlier but bubblypop tried to deflect back to his/her sealioning.

Locals are concerned

www.shannonside.ie/news/local/leitrim/ballinamore-residents-feel-bringing-100-asylum-seekers-town-madness/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Im sure you do:rolleyes:
    Better than the people who actually live there,pull the other one.

I'm curious, have you guys who are so opposed to the plan ever visited or stayed in Ballinamore?
    Woodsie?
    Jay0,?
    Cinema guy?

I'm curious, have you guys who are so opposed to the plan ever visited or stayed in Ballinamore?
    Woodsie?
    Jay0,?
    Cinema guy?

What would it matter if we did or not?

What would it matter if we did or not?

Ibecause you have no idea what it is like to live in that town.
    You don't know how it was when there was a direct provision centre in the middle of the town.
    When there was no issues at all

• Advertisement

Ibecause you have no idea what it is like to live in that town.
    You don't know how it was when there was a direct provision centre in the middle of the town.
    When there was no issues at all

I linked the locals having concerns.
    And the DP centre there had a lot less people than what is being proposed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

How to put this delicately, if locals were offered an apartment in this town would they move?

I was under the impression that one of the issues with social housing is people do not want to move.

I can see there being an issue with putting a large population relative to the size of the town but dont think there can be complaints about providing apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Back about 2003 the hotel in Ballinamore (McAllisters) was used as a centre for refugees.
    I never heard of any trouble in the town, and it did boost trade to local shops and suppliers.
    I worked for a fruit and veg distributor and we delivered weekly.
    It was the only place taking boxes of Aubgerines and the like!
    There aren't 130 empty apartments in the town, but there could be 40 , so probably over 130 bed spaces.
    There is a huge Tesco's, enormous for a town of its size, and with underground parking.
    1300 extra families wouldn't put it under pressure.....
    No one is proposing they would live there forever, but its miles better than a war torn country where you don't know who the next person barging in the door with an AK47 is going to be...

Ok, but presumably, as the Asylum Seekers (AS) have little money themselves - this is simply the government spending our money to feed the AS? Its not like the AS are rocking down to Tesco dropping wads of cash is it? No, its business' in the area billing the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

If what you claim is true, then their application will be refused.
    Now, I wonder why that would be?

Bless your innocence.
    Yes, their application is refused as is their second one, and third all the way up the court system. Then their kids application is refused and so on.
    Eventually, when a full determination on their case is made, and the solicitors have banked a load of cash, and the FG/FF insiders running the DP centre has made some money, the Dept of Justice will issue a notice of removal. Less than 20% of those removals are enacted. We don't know who simply choose to ignore it and stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

The same moaners/racists "concerned locals" were rolling out red carpets for the hundreds of people that would have arrived to take up residence in the West should Apple have set up their base.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Woodsie?
    Jay0,?
    Cinema guy?
    I'm gonna presume they have no idea what it's like to live there.

Not that I should even bother responding to whataboutery like this but yes, I have been to Ballinamore. On several occassions. Drank there, played football there.
    Same with Oughterrard.

Never been to Borrisokane...does that make me a bad person :p

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I don't agree with that at all! (BiB)
    There's a list, no problem anyone going on it but prioritising new arrivals above others maybe ten years on it, is a no-no and would be the cause of a lot of trouble.

I'm aware of anecdotes that this happens a lot but that's not verifiable to be a qualitative statistical argument that it does happen a lot.

As usual, there's zero planning put into this by the powers that be in Ireland.
    From dumping the equivalent of 15% of a villages population on the villagers (Ballinamore) to what the hell they think the 130 are going to do all day.
    No-one is satisfied -> no-one will integrate -> bad outcome.
    Proportional allocation and for godssakes, have a little yap with the communities first.

A few hours on a bus or train to Dublin shouldn't be thought of as onerous to update their status/answer questions etc

I'm all for helping genuine asylum seekers from war torn areas (Kurds, Syrians, Yemenis, Libyans etc) but rationed, planned and taking account of our national resources and the resource of towns and villages.

I think you're picking up my post wrong.
    I'm not suggesting not homing Irish homeless, I'm suggesting that if you want people to integrate they should be people that are legally allowed stay here for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

These asylum seekers should be housed in the Dublin or greater Dublin area where they have facilities and activities to partake in .
    It’s madness moving them to places in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do , no job prospects , no transport links etc . Obviously whoever’s sending to the back of beyonds doesn’t want them in Dublin .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

Chinasea wrote: »
    The same moaners/racists "concerned locals" were rolling out red carpets for the hundreds of people that would have arrived to take up residence in the West should Apple have set up their base.

So asylum spoofers are as 'valuable' to a town as people in high paying jobs in apple or some other mnc?!
    Ive heard it all now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,526 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

LuasSimon wrote: »
    These asylum seekers should be housed in the Dublin or greater Dublin area where they have facilities and activities to partake in .

Is there an empty 20 apartment block of 3 of 4 bedrooms in greater Dublin ready to house them?

Advertisement