Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Huawei P10 and P10 Plus

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Unfortunately three didn't ship the gift pack today. I called and asked and they're going to call me back tomorrow with an up date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Unfortunately three didn't ship the gift pack today. I called and asked and they're going to call me back tomorrow with an up date.

Bummer. Oh well, could be worse.

Bummer. Oh well, could be worse.

If they don't ship me one or give me a hefty discount I'll be shipping the phone back used within the fourteen days and cancelling my contract and getting the phone from meteor.

Called into the 3 store on Grafton St. today...tasty looking phones. The Plus isn't much bigger than my Z3. Having said that, there was a dummy S8....now that's a sexy phone. I imagine with an actual working screen it'll look amazing.

So no gift box for
    Marcos but three agreed to waive 10% of my bill for the duration of my contract as a way of apologising for the mix-up which saves me 108 on the price of the phone over the 24 months and I'm happy enough with that. The super charger car charger would have been nice but I can pick up a xiaomi power bank and similar tripod for small money on gearbeast of similar sites so all is well.

• Advertisement

So no gift box for
    Marcos but three agreed to waive 10% of my bill for the duration of my contract as a way of apologising for the mix-up which saves me 108 on the price of the phone over the 24 months and I'm happy enough with that. The super charger car charger would have been nice but I can pick up a xiaomi power bank and similar tripod for small money on gearbeast of similar sites so all is well.

That's a bit of a pain in the hole. Did they say why you weren't getting one? Just out of curiosity.

That's a bit of a pain in the hole. Did they say why you weren't getting one? Just out of curiosity.

When I phoned them and changed the order it changed from an online sale to a telesale and the offer was online only. Which is a load of balls to be honest but look, they made an effort to make up for the mistake and I'm happy enough with it.

When I phoned them and changed the order it changed from an online sale to a telesale and the offer was online only. Which is a load of balls to be honest but look, they made an effort to make up for the mistake and I'm happy enough with it.

Yeah, this is true. Not every company would do anything.

Yeah, this is true. Not every company would do anything.

Brings the cost of the phone over 24 months down to 451, so I'm looking at it that way.

Brings the cost of the phone over 24 months down to 451, so I'm looking at it that way.

Which is the right way to look at it. In the 5 minutes I had playing with the phones this morning, I was super impressed. Can't feckin wait to get mine now.

• Advertisement

Just looking at the value in contracts, they seem to be getting worse and worse....what is the P10 plus to buy outright?

Whoa....€759.

My S6 Edge+ was €800 outright and €149 on a €55/month plan. P10 plus is €229 on a €60/month plan.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Just looking at the value in contracts, they seem to be getting worse and worse....what is the P10 plus to buy outright?

Whoa....€759.

My S6 Edge+ was €800 outright and €149 on a €55/month plan. P10 plus is €229 on a €60/month plan.

I did the breakdown for p10 and plus on three a few pages back. The 45 per month contract is better value in terms of the cost of the phone when you work it out, which is weird.

Works out at 559 over 24 months.

I did the breakdown for p10 and plus on three a few pages back. The 45 per month contract is better value in terms of the cost of the phone when you work it out, which is weird.

Works out at 559 over 24 months.

The maths just looks terrible, no matter which way you look at it. There's no saving to be made on a contract at all.

€30 x 24 = €720 is the cost of unlimited flex max sim only for 24 months + buying the device outright (€759) = €1479.

€45 x 24 = 1080 + €329 = €1409 is the total cost on €45/month contract.

Taking the benefit of the doubt, and subtracting the cost of the sim only plan from the total cost of the contract:

€1409 - €720 = €689 for the device.

I can see where you get this number, but the reality is also that the unlimited flex max plan is better than what you get on the €45/month plan as you get unlimited calls and texts. Whichever way you look at it, the savings are €70, and you're locked in a 2 year contract.

Compare this to the situation when I took out my contract for the S6 Edge+....

Back then, the most expensive sim only plan was €40/month.

Therefore, €40 x 24 = 960 + €800 (cost of S6e+) = €1760 on sim only.

Contract was €55/month + €150 for the phone = €1470. Going on contract was a saving of a few hundred euro.

So, how are we all doing with the P10 a few days in?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I'm due an upgrade with Vodafone and I'm interested in the P10 Plus with 6gb ram. Not sure if Vodafone will stock it and if so at what cost. The only other option is the S8+ and I'm not a huge fan of Samsung, although I like the screen and the fact it's IP68 certified.
    Any advice on alternatives it between the S8+ and P10 Plus..

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Talula_d

So, how are we all doing with the P10 a few days in?

I love mine! Very quick, battery is excellent, lasts a full day and night! I fast charge in the morning for about an hour! Definitely happy with it!

Yeah really loving mine so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Wamwig

Have Virgin Media 360 but the fastest download I get is 20-25Mbps. Other devices connected usually get 200+ download. Any ideas?

Wamwig wrote: »
    Have Virgin Media 360 but the fastest download I get is 20-25Mbps. Other devices connected usually get 200+ download. Any ideas?

I've got Vodafone lightspeed 350Mbps. I'm being around 160Mbps.

Really liking the phone so far. Kind of annoyed the Irish model did not come with the clear plastic case that all the unboxing videos online had though.

I'm in the city centre for the day tomorrow so I'm going to give the battery and camera a good test.

Finally got my Plus today. Slight balls up on the order, but it was primarily my fault. Initial thoughts are wow. Screen is gorgeous, fantastic build quality.

One interesting thing though...the clear plastic case in all the unboxing videos...I got one in my box.

• Advertisement

Finally got my Plus today. Slight balls up on the order, but it was primarily my fault. Initial thoughts are wow. Screen is gorgeous, fantastic build quality.

One interesting thing though...the clear plastic case in all the unboxing videos...I got one in my box.

Weird that it shipped with the plus but not the normal. I've ordered one from ebay, should have it by Tuesday.

How big does it feel in the hand?

Weird that it shipped with the plus but not the normal. I've ordered one from ebay, should have it by Tuesday.

How big does it feel in the hand?

Yeah, it's a bit surprising that it would ship with one, and not the other. I've two on order from Ali Express as well, but this will do for now.

It doesn't feel much bigger than the Z3, despite the screen being quite a bit bigger. The fact it's so much slimmer, and the edges and bezels are so much slimmer, make it a bit less noticeable.

I called into 3 and carphone wearhouse in Drogheda to see if they had a P10 plus display model, no luck. I also went into Vodafone and carphone wearhouse to check out the display S8 plus. Vodafone didn't have it available, only carphone wearhouse had it. The S8 plus felt comfortable in my hand. Hopefully I'll get to check out the P10 plus soon

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Talula_d

Anyone here have issues with the camera? Mine won't focus at the top of the screen but it will in monochrome, any suggestions??

Talula_d wrote: »
    Anyone here have issues with the camera? Mine won't focus at the top of the screen but it will in monochrome, any suggestions??

Not had any issues that I've noticed as yet. Colours are a bit more saturated than reality, but the quality overall I'd fantastic. Landscape shots, despite it not being g it's forte an brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Just picked up a P10 so still finding my way around it.

Any recommendations or suggestions for tweaks or apps / settings?

Have an oreo update available on eir.
    Has anyone else updated to oreo yet?

bren2002 wrote: »
    Have an oreo update available on eir.
    Has anyone else updated to oreo yet?

Still waiting on 3 myself.

Finally got a prompt to DL OREO/EMUI 8.0 today. Downloading very, very slow today though.

• Advertisement

Talula_d wrote: »

Have this exact problem with the P9.
    Any ideas?

Advertisement