Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

With the news of the cornovirus getting worse and worse I'm starting to think this console launch is going to be delayed until next year. With microsoft pulling out of GDC I wonder also what are the chances for E3 being cancelled and what that will mean for the microsoft event and the expected full reveal

I think they're planning on running a stream from Their Headquarters for GDC, and in fairness, the reveal of the series X could be done in a similar fashion, the actual physical attendance at E3 is only a fraction of a percentage of an audience for a console reveal.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

With the news of the cornovirus getting worse and worse I'm starting to think this console launch is going to be delayed until next year. With microsoft pulling out of GDC I wonder also what are the chances for E3 being cancelled and what that will mean for the microsoft event and the expected full reveal

Production is starting up again in China. If the virus levels off before summer the only thing that might be affected is the availability of units at launch.

Production of the consoles won’t start until a few months before release, so if they’re aiming for a November launch and the virus begins to taper off we’ll in advance, nothing will be delayed.

Tbh I wouldn’t care for E3 to be cancelled and all major companies to do directs. They’re much better than longwinded, cringe, live shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Production is starting up again in China. If the virus levels off before summer the only thing that might be affected is the availability of units at launch.

Production of the consoles won’t start until a few months before release, so if they’re aiming for a November launch and the virus begins to taper off we’ll in advance, nothing will be delayed.

Tbh I wouldn’t care for E3 to be cancelled and all major companies to do directs. They’re much better than longwinded, cringe, live shows.

I must admit I love the live shows, love the energy in the room and the reaction good or bad depending on what is announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

More power seems to be the selling point here

More power seems to be the selling point here
    I dont know, to me I think it's all about games. If xbox comes out with a boat load of exclusives then people will buy it. Will people buy it just to play 3rd party titles? Possibly, because it's going to be more powerful than most of our PC's but then you still have the keyboard mouse vs controller issue.

Nah to me it's all games. With great exclusives and all available on game pass it's a no brainer to me xbox all the way.

Problem is I dont think they'll have anything fantastic at launch. People will easily pass on another Halo and another Forza. Especially as you will be able to play them on your one x.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Digital Foundry with info from a visit to MS:

Video:
    Xbox Series X Complete Specs + Ray Tracing/Gears 5/Back-Compat/Quick Resume Demo Showcase!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcY4nRHapmE

Article:
    Inside Xbox Series X: the full specs
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-inside-xbox-series-x-full-specs

They also had a follow-up video/article comparing it hands on with the XB One X:

Xbox Series X: just how big is it - and how does it compare to Xbox One X?
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-just-how-big-is-xbox-series-x-really

DF Direct: Hands-On With Xbox Series X + Impressions + Xbox One X Size Comparisons!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cmclCjS5jg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

1080p Xbox One games upscaled to 4k. Nice, so long as the game gets updated to support it.

HDR support added to all Xbox games at a system level, including the original Xbox console. Nice.

Currently working my way through the videos. Looks really impressive so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

very interesting and in depth article.

I don't understand an iota of it. :)

All sounds very promising (the bits I understood). They have to start talking games now. Demos of Gears 5 and Minecraft just won't cut it.

• Advertisement

All sounds very promising (the bits I understood). They have to start talking games now. Demos of Gears 5 and Minecraft just won't cut it.

This was probably supposed to be around the time of GDC before it got cancelled so mainly developer focused, prob having sessions with developers on the DX tools and guides on building for the console.

Games is more of an E3 or consumer thing so would expect that later in the year

Looks class in fairness.

If this costs €500/550 I’d be shocked because by all accounts it should be closer to €600.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Not watched them yet but I will. In the last week I've gone from "no interest" to "yeah, I'll trade my X as soon as there's a decent deal". As I've been locked in the house for the last week I've actually sat down and played a few games. It's been fun.

Just when I thought I was growing up, damn you xbox!

Edit: My X is a noisy baxtard so I kinda want rid.

theteal wrote: »

Edit: My X is a noisy baxtard so I kinda want rid.

Noisy is not something I've ever heard before to describe the X. Mine is whisper quiet. Sounds like you've got something wrong there, maybe you haven't given the vents enough space or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

With the way things are going with the Corona Virus, I’d be highly surprised if this isn’t delayed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Mine isn't noisy either but saying that if I game with the Tv on silent you would hear it but still quiet for the power it has. Compare it to a Xbox 360 they are like a jet engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Only got around to watching the DF videos there this evening. Impressive tech and some genuine innovation there. Hopefully they'll have the games to back it up.

Proprietary expansion cards is understandable (to ensure baseline performance) but also concerning. Being proprietary and with a single manfuacturer (Seagate) the price will probably not be competitive. Probably won't come down in price over the life of the console at the same rate as non-proprietary SSDs.

I assume it'll be locked down so other vendors can't just make their own cards and push prices down. I hope i'm wrong. We could be looking at a Vita type situation where a console is ruined by expensive proprietary storage.

Proprietary expansion cards is understandable (to ensure baseline performance) but also concerning. Being proprietary and with a single manfuacturer (Seagate) the price will probably not be competitive. Probably won't come down in price over the life of the console at the same rate as non-proprietary SSDs.

I assume it'll be locked down so other vendors can't just make their own cards and push prices down. I hope i'm wrong. We could be looking at a Vita type situation where a console is ruined by expensive proprietary storage.

It’s not ideal but they existed for the 360 and likely will for PS5 too.

Sony mentioned SSD’s allow games to be more streamlined as assets don’t need to be duplicated for accessibility due to the slow HDD, so that’ll apply to Series X too and make the drives capacity better compared to traditional drives.

I’m totally fine with the trade off here. They’ll always be more expensive than regular drives, but I’d rather the benefits.

• The games can only run from the internal drive or the expansion drive so I'd imagine this kind of propriety drive is to ensure that people aren't trying to run games from cheaper slower drives.

Not sure what to expect in terms of price? MS have the buying power to get them at a certain price but at a good 1TB NVMe based drive at the moment is €200-250 at retail.

Did they mention the specs for the expansion drive?

• Advertisement

Not sure what to expect in terms of price? MS have the buying power to get them at a certain price but at a good 1TB NVMe based drive at the moment is €200-250 at retail.
    Did they mention the specs for the expansion drive?
    They said 2.4GB/s for the internal so you'd have to assume the external will match that.

A good 1TB NVMe in this ballpark is €200+ and that's in a competitive environment. With a proprietary form-factor, probably a license fee going to MS, only one manufacturer (no competition), that could easily translate to €250-300 for 1TB.

In my opinion 1TB is going to be very limiting next-gen. There's multiple 100GB+ titles this gen. Don't mind what they're saying about asset de-dupe.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

From the wording of the announcement of the external drives, Seagate is just the launch partner, and it'll be opened up afterwards. That's what I got from it anyway.

CatInABox wrote: »
    From the wording of the announcement of the external drives, Seagate is just the launch partner, and it'll be opened up afterwards. That's what I got from it anyway.
    That's good news. Hopefully there's more info about that side of things soon.

• Seems it's just the games optimised for series X that will need to run from the new internal or SSD's. All others can be run from a USB 3.1 drive as is currently possible.

Seems it's just the games optimised for series X that will need to run from the new internal or SSD's. All others can be run from a USB 3.1 drive as is currently possible.
    And I'd imagine you can store games on a USB drive.

All I need is space for 2 games on the go. Once I'm done with a game I never go back.

Anyone else consider this a gaming PC replacement? It would be great if developers would embrace KB&M and then there really is no need for me to upgrade my pc.

My PC is not even a year old and already it is nowhere near this level of performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I have a gaming PC and cannot use KB&M. There is a learning curve that I tried once or twice for a few minutes and gave up. Controller feels more natural to me. That is from years of playing consoles.

• I'm the same. I can type with a well above average degree of speed and accuracy and not look at the keys but I'm terrible at gaming with them.

I use a mouse with my left hand so that reverses the look and move controls as opposed to using a controller. No training me out of that one at this stage of life :D

All about the muscle memory. The more you use KB/M, the easier it gets.

The machine looks great but wouldn't make me replace my PC with one. I have Game Pass so i'll get all the games for it anyway.

• Advertisement

All about the muscle memory. The more you use KB/M, the easier it gets.

The machine looks great but wouldn't make me replace my PC with one. I have Game Pass so i'll get all the games for it anyway.

You probably have a high spec machine. I'm wondering how much would you need to spend to get a pc with similar performance? Gotta be 1000+ easily.

Advertisement