Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Considering move to Greystones

Options
  • 02-07-2015 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi

Myself, wife and child are considering moving to Greystones. We both work in Dublin city centre. I’m concerned the commute might be too much over a long period of time. I’d be very interested to hear anybody’s experience with this commute or, indeed, any other views regarding living in Greystones. Any negatives about living in G?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Living in Greystones about 14 years and commuting for the entire duration and it's grand. I lived in Dun Laoghaire prior to that and the commute is longer but no more difficult.

You have the choice of the Dart or the 84X to take you to the city.

The big draw of Greystones is the level of amenity you have here, with all sorts of clubs and facilities all over the area along with having the beach right there and mountains in easy reach, there's a lot to do and look forward to when you get home!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

a190f7d9 wrote: »
    Hi

Myself, wife and child are considering moving to Greystones. We both work in Dublin city centre. I’m concerned the commute might be too much over a long period of time. I’d be very interested to hear anybody’s experience with this commute or, indeed, any other views regarding living in Greystones. Any negatives about living in G?

Thanks in advance.

Where abouts do you work in the city OP?

I travel from Greystones to St Stephens Green each day and find it grand.. i drive to carrickmines park in Ride.. get luas in.... round trip exactly one hour from door to door. 30 mins on the luas fecking around on my phone... its grand and not the least bit stressful.

i did work in ballsbridge for 5 years and found the drive each day a total pain in my a*se... 1.5 hours each way.

all depends on where you work in the city centre to be honest

Negatives about living in greystones - none its a pretty good place to live!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭brokenice

Wow, I was going to post the exact same question myself today! Work in Donnybrook and was just thinking about the commute myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sparkee

Hi

Thanks in advance.

Myself, wife and our 2 young children recently moved to Greystones and love it. LuckyI'll we have parents and family in the area too. We always wanted to live here for obvious reasons amenities, beautiful surroundings and importantly a strong sense of community with everything you'd ever need on your doorstep.

Having returned from working and living in London, where you can walk to a playground, shops, pub, bank, cafes, restraunts wherever youre living, we realised that's a must for us and Greystones offers this.

There's no need to jump in a car if you need to get a pint of milk or want to grab some lunch somewhere as I found was the case living in South County Dublin.

We're already building relationships and friendships and our children adore living here spending time on the beach, playground or library or just out with their friends.

With regards to commute, I work in the IFSC and have no trouble with the commute. It's an hour and 5mins door to door on the Dart for me with a walk to the station. A colleague of mine also lives in Greystones and he insteads gets the 84X and it's the same for him. It's an easy commute with a seat both ways and then 55 mins to read, watch something on your phone or plan the day ahead etc. I have never thought about driving as theres the public transport infrastructure is good and and plus I cannot stand traffic.

Not sure if you're buying but there is certainly value to be found in the area at the moment. Supply of houses on the market is the downside and can reflect in the offer price especially for family house but that's the estate agents fault and a look on myhime you'll see very few homes go for asking.

With regards to negatives we're lucky not to have any. If you're not used to hour long commutes or dislike public transport then that could be a deal breaker but it's all about compromise.

So to sum up: beautiful surroundings, amazing amenities, walkability, sense of community, great primary schools (didn't mention above), plenty of options to commute, bus, drive + luas or Dart, the children love it and all there is to do.

Ask yourself what's important to you and take a walk around Greystones and you'll have an answer.

The above is just my opinion and experience but best of luck with your move wherever it may be to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 a190f7d9

Many thanks to all for taking the time to respond. We both work in the vicinity of the IFSC. I have a few Qs:

(1) Is the Dart from Greystones reliable? Does it generally arrive and depart on time? What about the 84x? It seems to me that for the commute to work we would need to be located as close to the station as possible.

(2) I think I'm right in saying house prices in G have increased significantly in recent years? Current asking prices on houses on MyHome don't appear to represent a huge amount of value. Is there a sense that current asking prices in G are perhaps too optimistic?

(3) Is the south beach in G clean? I have read that there is also a north beach? Is this correct? If so, what's it like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

The Dart is pretty reliable - barring the normal stoppages that affect the line from time to time on the rest of the network, the only additional factor is the single line between Bray and Greystones which can be subject to landslides, but it's pretty infrequent.

The 84X is very reliable, particularly in the mornings and passes through Killincarraig, Charlesland and then past the train station, Church Road, Blacklion and over Bray Head. In the morning it takes about 70 mins from Charlesland to City (although this morning it took about 45 mins thanks to school holidays!)

House prices are what they are, asking prices aren't definitive. For example, one of my neighbours is looking for 395k for a 3 bed corner house with an attic conversion. Knowing the work he's put into that house, I'd say it's worth every penny. Ultimately it boils down to how much you're willing to pay. This applies to any area.

The south beach is usually spotless. Between locals (Tidy Towns in particular) and the council a good job is done on keeping it clean, although like any beach, it's prone to scrotes who think nothing of leaving their rubbish behind after a day of sunbathing with their bag o cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I have read that there is also a north beach? Is this correct? If so, what's it like?

the North Beach has been pretty much destroyed by the harbour development - it's still there but it's difficult to access, and most of the sand has been washed away leaving a very steep sloping "beach" that's not really safe for swimming.

There is also the "Cove" which is between the Harbour and the South Beach here.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Emma A

living here 8 years and love it - I drive to UCD every day so not too bad I know takes 50 mins max on a bad morn flying in these summer days

even on a bad traffic day with a crash on the N11 being stuck in traffic its worth it living here, love the town the beach and ditto what Sparkee said being able to walk everywhere is so nice

appreciate it even more since babs has arrived! Great place to bring up kids

good luck with your decision :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sparkee

Many thanks to all for taking the time to respond. We both work in the vicinity of the IFSC. I have a few Qs:

(1) Is the Dart from Greystones reliable? Does it generally arrive and depart on time? What about the 84x? It seems to me that for the commute to work we would need to be located as close to the station as possible.

(2) I think I'm right in saying house prices in G have increased significantly in recent years? Current asking prices on houses on MyHome don't appear to represent a huge amount of value. Is there a sense that current asking prices in G are perhaps too optimistic?

(3) Is the south beach in G clean? I have read that there is also a north beach? Is this correct? If so, what's it like?

Just reiterating the above

1) DART is pretty reliable every 30 mins or so you can also avail of the commuter Wexford trains. 17:25 from Connolly gets in at 18:20 to Greystones. 84x is also great in the mornings. The closer to the village the better in general. If you can why not try the commute out to see if it works for you.

2) house prices have increased nationwide and as Dublin is becoming more unaffordable people are looking at Commuter towns. Take a look at the price register and remember asking prices are just that asking. You'd be mad not to underbid. Greystones problem is supply of family homes which can skew vendors and estate agents expectations. Good time to buy though given rates are expected to drop.

3) south beach is beautiful and great effort is made to keep it looking good. Blue Flag with life guard. The North beach is somewhat of a trek to get too which is sad given its actual proximity. I know the harbour is a sore spot for many and it's impact.

Way up the pros and cons and your other alternatives.

Advertisement