Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"And because we're back, here's our latest video. Only a white person's skin can make enough Vitamin D from the Irish sun without the need for supplements. So based on that, doesn't it make sense to only allow white people to live in Ireland? Of course it does! It's not discrimination to give superior treatment to superior races".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Tell me that that's not their latest quote.

It's especially annoying because it's true (barring that 'superior race'/whites only nonsense).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It was probably caused by a fake DMCA take down notice from someone upset by the content.

This kind of crap happens often on youtube from both sides of the fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

It was probably caused by a fake DMCA take down notice from someone upset by the content.

This kind of crap happens often on youtube from both sides of the fence.

Funny thing is it just serves to get more people to view the channel in the long run. I'd never bothered with it until I heard it was blocked for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Funny thing is it just serves to get more people to view the channel in the long run. I'd never bothered with it until I heard it was blocked for example.

Yes, true. The vimeo statistics showed 200 views today and there was only about 280 in total for the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Awesome. The reason that Iona Institute's channel was down?

At some point, they were sent an identity verification email from Google. And never replied.
    A spokeswoman for Google told TheJournal.ie that it had “nothing to do with censorship” as had been earlier speculated on by the director of the conservative think tank, David Quinn.

The spokeswoman said the account’s temporary removal was a “verification issue”. Quinn said on Twitter this evening: “Seemingly we hadn’t responded to an email from them verifying our account.”

Help help, we're being oppressed.

P.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

^^^ Persecution! Liberal media bias! Anti-catholic!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,813 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Now, now, it's pronounced "meeja". :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think we've all probably let an online verification thing slip by one time or another, wouldn't really fault him there, but he jumped on the censorship assumption pretty quickly - a bit desperate. Happy for their videos to stay up so we can see the subsequent parodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I think we've all probably let an online verification thing slip by one time or another, wouldn't really fault him there, but he jumped on the censorship assumption pretty quickly - a bit desperate. Happy for their videos to stay up so we can see the subsequent parodies.

Obviously, there are times when you do wait for the facts, and times when you don't. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The censorship claims are funny when you think about the books and films that would probably be banned if some of his ultra Catholic buddies had their way. A new English curriculum - Fifty Shades of Dana.

I repeat what I said in the abortion thread: you must be mad to listen to her. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

kylith wrote: »
    The Iona Institute is NOT a religious institute, says Patricia Casey, patron.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/01/21/is-the-iona-catholic/

So... if they're getting charitable status based on their 'promotion of religion', but their patron has said, live on air, that they're NOT a religious institute, doesn't that mean that their charitable status is based on a fraudulent claim, and should be revoked?

Who can I write to about this?
    According to document CHY1 here (from the Revenue website) they would have to submit their reason for being considered a charity, based on the following choices;
    13 Charitable Activity -
    (a) Please indicate under which of the charitable headings - Relief of
    Poverty, Advancement of Education, Advancement of Religion, Other purpose of Benefit to the Community, the application is being made.

(b) Give a brief summary of the activities which are or will be carried on by the body to further the main object as set out in its governing instrument.
    If they are now denying that their main purpose is "the advancement of religion" then presumably they now have to show that they have some "Other Purpose of Benefit to the Community."
    I'd love to know what they wrote on that application form, as regards their purposes and activities, but I'd be pretty sure if you wrote to Revenue now and asked them, the reply would be "we don't disclose info on individual cases."
    Two people have already done this and posted those kind of replies, as received back from Revenue, earlier in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The message on the channel's page says: "This account has been terminated due to repeated or severe violations of our Terms of Service."

It wasn't terminated, it was closed to save the Iona Institute, the termination was an unfortunate side effect of the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

recedite wrote: »
    According to document CHY1 here (from the Revenue website) they would have to submit their reason for being considered a charity, based on the following choices;If they are now denying that their main purpose is "the advancement of religion" then presumably they now have to show that they have some "Other Purpose of Benefit to the Community."
    I'd love to know what they wrote on that application form, as regards their purposes and activities, but I'd be pretty sure if you wrote to Revenue now and asked them, the reply would be "we don't disclose info on individual cases."
    Two people have already done this and posted those kind of replies, as received back from Revenue, earlier in this thread.
    Actually, although I disagree with almost everything they say (that I've bothered to read) I'm pretty comfortable with them having charitable status. As far as I'm concerned, promoting civic engagement with public policy issues is a Good Thing for a republic; it's a purpose beneficial to the community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Fair point, I suppose. But they should be more honest about their intentions and where they are coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

But if they did that they'd get less money. It's a tricky moral dilemma, to be sure :pac:

Can you put in FoI requests about orgs like this, or what's the story there?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Can you put in FoI requests about orgs like this, or what's the story there?
    You can put in an FOI request, but you'll have no joy. Information you give to the Revenue Commissioners will not be disclosed under the FoI legislation because you give it in confidence, and on the understanding that it will be treated as confidential, and s. 26 of the FoI Act says that records containing information obtained under those circumstances are not to be disclosed.

Remember, the purpose of the FoI legislation is to enable the citizen to learn about the doing of government, not the doings of his fellow-citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I don't see them generating large profits, to be honest.

According to duedil.com (which it's free to sign up for), Lolek Ltd (trading as Iona Institute) had profits:

2011 €46,502
    2010 €2,829
    2009 €41,686

and net assets of €273,053 at end of 2011.

• Advertisement

mambo wrote: »
    According to duedil.com (which it's free to sign up for), Lolek Ltd (trading as Iona Institute) had profits:

2011 €46,502
    2010 €2,829
    2009 €41,686

Very useful site that. I'm surprised at how many directors Iona has; also unless I'm reading the financials incorrectly, it has cash of around 277K in the bank.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

One director is...

"Maeve Kelleher is married with six children. She is a stay-at-home mother."
    http://www.ionainstitute.ie/index.php?id=99

Maeve is or was a director of 28 companies according to duedil.com - so she's more than a stay-at-home mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

One director is...

Maeve is or was a director of 28 companies according to duedil.com - so she's more than a stay-at-home mother.

Does she know Sean Quinn's wife? She's able to combine several children, being a stay at home mother, and directing loads of companies!

Maeve Kelleher is a WORKING mother of six children, even if she directs all those companies from home. Working mothers, I bet David has something to say about that! I must tweet him for a comment.

lazygal wrote: »

Maeve Kelleher is a WORKING mother of six children, even if she directs all those companies from home. Working mothers, I bet David has something to say about that! I must tweet him for a comment.

He hasn't blocked you yet? :)

P.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Speaking of Tweets - the Pope's been at it again.

I love trolling the Pope. Amazed they even show the replies he gets. :)

Dades wrote: »

Really? What sort of replies does he get?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Dades wrote: »

Note to self, troll Pope

krudler wrote: »
    Note to self, troll Pope

Isn't technology fun. What an age we live in! :D

One director is...

I wonder if they share any directors with the Life Institute, the Pro-Life Campaign or Jugendschutz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Wee Davey Quinn has already pretty much said that if you ignore everything except Chapter 8 in today's Magdalene Laundries report, it's not too bad. What a wonderful human being.

Advertisement