Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A&A Feedback

Comments

i think that final statement of what "should be" is a fine and admirable sentiment until the discussion isnt an agreed process with a stated aim of consensus!

no consensus is possible on the topic in question and i think that this is contextually vital to whether a mod has a "goal" in mind for the thread or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

i recognise that civility of discussion is desirable but, and i hope i may be frank here, the conduct, quality of argument and general pproach of pro-choice posters (indeed that entire lobby) throughout the debate does not lend itself to a moderator ensuring a draw!

Pro-choice or pro-life? I'd argue that the pro-life campaign is largely based around and ill-informed appeal to emotion and would like nothing more than the pro-choice side to lower its argument to that level and have the debate play out as a simple slagging match. I think the pro-choice side has many far stronger arguments in relation to women's rights, duty of care to vulnerable citizen's, undue influence of the church in secular society and foreign powers attempting to undermine our democracy.

You could also argue about the wisdom in attempting to further polarise the two sides. There are no doubt very many people who are uncomfortable with abortion yet put far greater weight on the pro-choice arguments. It is actually rather brave in my opinion for someone who is a strong Christian and would never personally countenance abortion to vote to liberalise it for all the right reasons. If, like me, you consider the pro-choice argument is one of inclusivity, its focus is primarily on protecting those vulnerable citizens in our democracy.

ah ffs
    pro-life

yes i meant pro-life

it was a long day

:-/

I suppose you're right smacl.

Still makes me a little bit sick in my mouth typing "pro-life" though.

Fair enough, but the combination of those two words is already so heavily tainted that it will taste bitter for the foreseeable future.

Much like owning a BMW, being "pro-life" says something about a person. It is not something I'd like said about me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

smacl wrote: »
    Some on the pro-life side of the debate were calling the pro-choice side the pro-abortion side which is also arguably true by your above logic

Can you explain this because I'm not seeing it?

I am not saying I disagree with the rule, mind, if for nothing else to keep discussion moving on in that thread without yet another tangent to argue about. But no pro-choice poster has ever advocated abortion for anyone else (only for the choice of abortion) in the thread, so pro-choice is the correct label for that side as it actually describes their worldview.
    That "pro-life" posters never have a substantive answer for FFA (a painful birth followed by inevitable slow death is better than an early painless abortion) at least shows that being dogmatically anti-abortion (or just pro-birth) is the real extent of their worldview.

Even all that aside, pro-life is not a good label for one side of the debate as it assumes that the other side is anti-life, which is clearly inflammatory and wrong.

• Advertisement

heh after my ballsup last night i dont feel very well positioned to continue arguing, but yes: i would also be interested to see if you would be able to put out a position criticising 'anti abortion' on any basis other than "they dont like it"

youve eloquently set out two specific cases for one side to be called the new agreed term, but as yet havent really (imo) set out a case for the other and tbh i dont see one.

we can then get on to the question of instabans for 'baby' instead of foetus ;)

Can you explain this because I'm not seeing it?

Pro-choice in this context is specifically pro being allowed to choose to have an abortion where deemed necessary by the woman in question. Rather than truncate the above to 'pro choice' (to have an abortion), they're truncating it to 'Pro' (choice to have an) 'abortion'. I'm of the opinion that this is wrong but that is just my opinion.

'Anti-abortion' is also not a correct replacement for 'Pro-life' as there are those who are against abortion but prioritise the rights of the individual woman. 'Anti-choice', while possibly a fairer description in some respects, allows scope for name-calling and the whole thread turning into a slagging match and getting closed on that basis. Which side of the argument do you think that serves better?

we can then get on to the question of instabans for 'baby' instead of foetus ;)

Not looking to instaban anyone, quite the opposite in fact. The thinking here is that being a bit more restrictive about language where things are prone to becoming incendiary, posters are less likely to find themselves drawn into a position where they get infracted.

Mod: Moved all the content relating to pro-life versus pro-choice argument to the abortion discussion thread as the point about use of terms in order to promote civil debate has been addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

robindch says this

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111853187&postcount=1399
    robindch wrote:
    Prominent public intellectual and former rugby player, Israel Folau, took to the pulpit to explain that the six people who died in the latest Australian bushfires were undergoing a "little taste of God's judgement". The remarks have not gone down well:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-50455162

The thread revolves around Folau saying gays will go to hell. God's wrath will be upon them.

He now says God's wrath is upon six people who died in bushfires

Folk won't be pleased with Folau

Now I come in..

Whatever about how the wrath of God expresses, it's hardly surprising the remarks haven't gone down well.

Presumably if Israel had chosen his remarks in the wake of Jeffery Epsteins suicide or some such, there wouldn't be a whimper.

Wrath no problem, so long as man the decision maker on where and when it ought be applied.

It's fairly clear what I mean. Folk would have no problem had Israel said the wrath of God would be on Epstein. They are picky and choosy when it comes to where they think wrath ought to be applied.

Mod warning follows. Mod thinks I'm comparing gays to paedophiles. I query and point out the obvious. Infraction follows as I haven't followed mod instruction (presumably I'm not allowed to mention gays and paedophiles in the same area, in any way, shape or form - lest I be seen to be saying the gays and paedophiles are some way equatable. Even if it's patently clear I'm not connecting the two in this context.

[I gather too, that saying gay actions are sinful isn't permitted on this forum anymore. For to do so would be to equate those actions with the sinful actions of every other person in the world. Fair enough, it's someone elses forum to do with what they will]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robindch says this

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111853187&postcount=1399

The thread revolves around Folau saying gays will go to hell. God's wrath will be upon them.

He now says God's wrath is upon six people who died in bushfires

Folk won't be pleased with Folau

Now I come in..

It's fairly clear what I mean. Folk would have no problem had Israel said the wrath of God would be on Epstein. They are picky and choosy when it comes to where they think wrath ought to be applied.

Mod warning follows. Mod thinks I'm comparing gays to paedophiles. I query and point out the obvious. Infraction follows as I haven't followed mod instruction (presumably I'm not allowed to mention gays and paedophiles in the same area, in any way, shape or form - lest I be seen to be saying the gays and paedophiles are some way equatable. Even if it's patently clear I'm not connecting the two in this context.

[I gather too, that saying gay actions are sinful isn't permitted on this forum anymore. For to do so would be to equate those actions with the sinful actions of every other person in the world. Fair enough, it's someone elses forum to do with what they will]

This is the warning you received:
    I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you have phrased that badly and are in no way comparing LGBT people to a convicted sex offender and trafficker of girls. Kindly think more carefully before posting as rather like Australian Rugby there is a policy of not tolerating homophobic comments in this forum and it would be a shame if you were sanctioned in the future for ill judged remarks.

It's quite clear that I was giving you the benefit of the doubt - therefore I did not think you were comparing LGBT people to paedophiles, I did think it could be read that way. If I had thought you absolutely were making that comparison I would have issued a sterner sanction for inflammatory language and/or being uncivil. I did warn you to mind your phraseology going forward as benefit of doubt has it's limitations.

You were carded for questioning a mod instruction in thread. Which you have been around long enough to know is a cardable offence.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    It's quite clear that I was giving you the benefit of the doubt

Why was there any doubt to give me the benefit of? The point was about as crystal clear as it could be. If it were a case of people being triggered by the word gay/paedophile in the same post then I think the problem isn't so much with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Why was there any doubt to give me the benefit of? The point was about as crystal clear as it could be. If it were a case of people being triggered by the word gay/paedophile in the same post then I think the problem isn't so much with me.

nobody is triggered by the word gay/paedophile. they do have an issue when they are conflated. The mod may have given you the benefit of the doubt but i wouldn't.

nobody is triggered by the word gay/paedophile. they do have an issue when they are conflated. The mod may have given you the benefit of the doubt but i wouldn't.

Just one fly in the ointment for your career prospects. There was no conflation.

People wouldn't object if Folau said Epstein was being subjected to the wrath of God

People would object if Folau said people burnt in bush fire were being subjected to the wrath of God.

Were is the conflation in noting what people get their knickers in a twist about?

I think it is you who is conflating. By reading something other than whats written.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Just one fly in the ointment for your career prospects. There was no conflation.

so you keep insisting.

so you keep insisting.

So go show. There it is above in the edited post.

The point was about as crystal clear as it could be.

Clear? Have you even read what you've written, one could be forgiven for thinking you're speaking in tongues?
    Wrath no problem, so long as man the decision maker on where and when it ought be applied.
    If it were a case of people being triggered by the word gay/paedophile in the same post then I think the problem isn't so much with me.

Again, you're language is as clear as mud. A kind interpretation would replace 'the word gay/paedophile' with 'the words gay and paedophile' or even 'the word gay and the word paedophile'. Given you use 'word' in the singular another interpretation is simply 'the word gay paedophile', as the '/' character is not a well understood alternative for the word 'and'.

Cynically one might also suspect intentional use of association by proximity. So for example, if I were to talk about Christianity, and then to talk about homophobia, even without making an explicit connection the reader starts to form an association between Christianity and homophobia. Even without making an assertion, people read Christianity and homophobia.

Clear? Have you even read what you've written, one could be forgiven for thinking you're speaking in tongues?

I think your clutching @ straws. Or should I say 'you're". The point was clear if you read it, through. And if you somehow managed to sea a conflation, well, that's you doing you're damndest 2 find it.

Punctuation imperfections notwithstanding

Again, you're language is as clear as mud. A kind interpretation would replace 'the word gay/paedophile' with 'the words gay and paedophile' or even 'the word gay and the word paedophile'. Given you use 'word' in the singular another interpretation is simply 'the word gay paedophile', as the '/' character is not a well understood alternative for the word 'and'.

Cynically one might also suspect intentional use of association by proximity. So for example, if I were to talk about Christianity, and then to talk about homophobia, even without making an explicit connection the reader starts to form an association between Christianity and homophobia. Even without making an assertion, people read Christianity and homophobia.

Again, if your looking you'll find, even if it's not there. It's clear from the point that gay/paedophile are not/meant/synonymously.

I'd hope that if you were writing about Christianity and homophobia that I'd be able to see whether you mean the two connected or are talking about two distinct things.

We are in serious trouble if even empirical evidence isn't believed.

Carded for referring to people who probably consider abortion to be murder.

Not sure why the card. Since when can abortion not be referred to in the manner one side view it? And what discussion is possible when the grounding view of one side is out of bounds.

Or is it the intent to merely have a 'ha ha' echo chamber thread.

Carded for referring to people who probably consider abortion to be murder.

Not sure why the card. Since when can abortion not be referred to in the manner one side view it? And what discussion is possible when the grounding view of one side is out of bounds.

Or is it the intent to merely have a 'ha ha' echo chamber thread.

Since the charter was updated last May. You seem to be falling foul of it quite regularly these days so I might suggest you reacquaint yourself with it if you intend to continue to contribute here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

That's fine, it works for you so go for it. I think the problems start happening when people start presenting their beliefs as undeniable truths that others should accept and live their lives accordingly. In this case, they should be able to evidence their beliefs if they are to have any kind of a convincing argument. Someone tells me they're Christian, Muslim, Wiccan, or Jedi I've absolutely no problem with it. The problem happens if they tell me I should also become Christian, Muslim, Wiccan, or Jedi or whatever, or try to teach it to my kids. Likewise if they try to set down rules as to who can or cannot get married, have sex, or engage in planned parenthood.

Absolutely, as long as you're happy why should anyone else try to convince you will be happy +++ if you close your mind with restrictions...

Christianity is very restrictive and might I add vindictive...I found when I became a pagan I opened up to a whole new world that's amazing and all inclusive...

Whether you're an atheist, Christian Mulsim Jew Buddhist we can all get along ok

But being a dick head doesn't discriminate.

Call a spade a spade, I notice a lot of anti religion and spirituality and point's being scored on this forum, collective thanking and moderators taking the atheists side more frequently, and shutting people down and ruining some banter and the odd squabble which could be sorted out here rather than face the rath of somewhere else to sort out the problems...

So in effect if this forum represents Atheism as a whole on board's it's quite PC sterile and boring... don't question a mod, you're banned because you questioned a mod ?

One more infraction and you're out, it's like school..

Then the mod puts up a smart comment...so and so are taking a break for a few days to cool down and the usual happy clapper's giving it a like.

Seriously, there needs to be a bit of room for heated debates and discussions...

This place used to be very popular and entertaining now it's been run like a politically correct Californian college campus...one strike and you're infracted...

A bit like what Atheism doesn't stand for...ye left the church and religion only to create something that's so similar.
    Very much like the Abrahamic dogma without the god head in charge.
    What I see is a lot of critical discussion of theistic and spiritualist claims, well written and thought out posts receiving thanks from other posters who appreciate the points made and effort invested, and moderators working quite well with posters to keep discussions moving.
    The other thing I am seeing is posters who don't like their ill-thought religious and spiritual crutches being deconstructed in front of them, aghast that the mods don't step in and rescue them from the nasty atheists with their offensive reasoning and logic.
    I am sure that you are not one of these people and that you actually have plenty of evidence of your claims happening in this thread.

There is a feedback thread to discuss this kind of thing and I would genuinely like to continue discussing this with you there because I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. The only times I have seen mods exercise their powers is when posters are directly insulting someone or ignoring direct mod instructions and they are very lenient when they do use their powers (any other forum on this site where calling a mod an idiot to their face would only get you an infraction?).

It is still entertaining, maybe the problem is that your posts and banter aren't as entertaining as you think you are?

Where's your evidence for me thinking my post's are entertaining or my banter is appreciated ?

My favourite personality trait is not giving a sh1t what people think of me, my humour, banter or debating style...
    As long as I'm not intentionally harming anyone else and I can sleep at night without any resentments or guilt.
    I think I'm doing ok.

You assume that some people are deconstructing others belief's in front of them.
    I think that's quite egotistical to be honest.
    Cohesion isn't about destroying people's beliefs and using my post to validate your argument or discussion is a poor attempt to get your point across.

Proselytizing isn't tolerated on the Atheist and Agnosticism forum, why should deconstructing people's beliefs be allowed ???

Then I've a moderator telling me maybe this forum isn't for me, maybe it's not the forum but the way it's been moderated isn't for me and many others...
    I'm ok I accept that.

I'm not going to discuss this with you where you'll have the upper hand in a discussion.

I often can have these discussions with friends who are Atheists over a coffee or a hike.
    And we find common ground and agree to disagree.

You've a right to your opinion and me mine.
    It doesn't mean we don't have anything else in common, only our beliefs in how certain things work.

There's more than one way to prune a tree or set a sail.

I think in action and pictures rather than number's and targets...

I adapt more metaphorically rather than intellectually...

I'm dyslexic and slightly autistic, so neither of us have an advantage over the other.
    iceman700 wrote: »
    I have to say Iam quite happy I posted here, its easy to converse with like minded people where everyone more or less agrees.
    I knew I was walking into the lions den, but felt I had to challenge my beliefs.
    I understand totally where you are all coming from and would like to thank everyone who took part.
    Not been able to give evidence for the existence of God, in a logical debate, was an eye opener, seriously,that is a problem.
    Again thank you to everyone who took the time, but may I ask one more question, and could we apply the same strict parameters of logic and science and dealing with the five senses.
    Can anyone give proof/evidence for the existence of love.

Love is all around, you experience it iceman and I wouldn't ask anyone here about the existence of love. Like yourself I dip into the lion's den now and again and it's the only forum on board's where one has to walk on eggshells.

A moderator here in a roundabout way suggested to me that if I want to share and respond in my usual way, that after hours might suit me better.
    And I appreciate their heads up about that.

Not everyone in here will try to set a trap for you, there's more reasonable people than unreasonable...

I love debating with banter and a bit of heated debate doesn't cause me any bother, doesn't do me any harm.

You'll get people plagiarising from Richard Dawkins book's and other popular author's, thinking they're intelligent or scoring point's.
    And the lion's will start coming out of the grasslands and my observation is they're not there for a balanced debate.. only to push people out. It's their territory.
    I like holding ground until the lionesses or lion tells me that it's time to leave our den now, so like a cheetah I'm sprinting to greener pastures and then when I feel safe I'll have a look through the tall grass and pop my head up only to be chased off again.

I've heard it all in here,and I'll admit yes I do derail the thread now and again.
    You'll never get someone agreeing to disagree, or respond to your genuinely nice post above, and say..

No worries man, were all different but we can get along all the same and sure it's like being being in the lion's den but our roar is worse than our bite. Oh no there's not an ounce of that here.

I tried to be friendly here or put my hand up and apologise for my attitude or upsetting the decorum of the subject matter, and when I do it's only the moderators who'll thank your post,as they have mine sometimes.

Maybe we should have a better place to discuss these matters, such as a loosecloak type of sub forum.

Where people can let off steam,slag each other off etc.. and have a warning that if you're highly sensitive or lack emotional intelligence maybe it's best you steer clear.

There's a sub forum here where you share about the Hazard's of belief etc and it undermines religion and spirituality quite a lot, so what's good for the goose should be good for the gander...
    I note you still haven't given us your definition of what love is. Can't exactly put forward evidence indicating that something exists when you haven't even said what that thing is.

I've seriously come to the conclusion there's a lot of sock puppetry here,and if the moderators had access to the IP addresses they'd get multiple accounts under the one IP address.

Love exists all right,and quite frankly cupcakes if you have to question it's existince maybe you don't exist at all.

This thread has a bang of narcissism and gaslighting, what a place this turned into.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people in here are chatting with themselves, just one person who has multiple accounts.

Iceman seems to be making a lot of sense about the existence of love...but if you smacl are going down the same route of trying to push iceman out of the forum as Robindch is with me, well this is going to be a lonely place...

There's been tumble weed blowing through here for a few years now, and with the present situation I'd say it'll be a ghost town soon.

I'd love a permanent ban from Atheism and Agnoticism to be honest...love it
    Why do you want a ban? So you can play the victim card? Or is your impulse control so poor that you need someone else to take that decision out of your hands?

Oh and by the way - the mere fact that people don't share your worldview doesn't make them narcissists.

I'm far from playing the victim, it's you lot running to the moderators every time I supposedly derail the thread, or say something which ye deem to be upsetting athiests...

The only time I ever ever get infractions is in the A+A forum.

And I'm being told by a moderator to abide by the forum rules, because I'm upsetting other forum members.

Now there's only a fckn hand full of people who are here regularly, so it's not hard to see who is more than likely getting triggered by my posts...

So I think there's a double dose of impulse control going on here...

The amount of people who gave up posting here is phenomenal, ye have ran them all out of the forum.

This is like a middle class Christian mans club, no cursing, no going off on tangents, the mods decision is final, don't argue with a mod, you you're ok you can say what you like, I don't like your attitude you're very bold...I'm putting you in the corner..
    Robin likes to fire his moderator whip in front of everyone, so you can all see how powerful and effective he can be, he is like a white knight swoops in like a hero and saves the day...
    Then he tells you all he's sending the poster on a holiday, you all gleefully clap your hands like chickens..

Why on earth would I play the victim card ? there's feck all people interested in coming in here anyhow. If anything it's some of you people who play the victim card... I've been told by a moderator that people are upset.
    And I've to tone down and stop my rant.

You're all experts at plagiarism and suggesting that so and so wrote a certain book and on page what ever it says.... they're well qualified therefore they're right.

Have ye not got mind's of your own ?
    Are any of you original ?

Plagiarise this...

Be Fully Present in the Conversation. Finding common ground requires listening; you need to be fully present in the moment. ...
    Realize and Vocalize the Things You Agree On. ...
    Seek Understanding More than Being Right. ...
    Honor the Other Person. ...
    Commit to Communicate with Kindness.

Iceman and myself often might I add try to communicate with kindness, admit when we're off on tangents.
    Or say we understand your side of things.
    I've said sorry now and again in here for being a dick, but there's a lot of dick's in here who've over the years, belittled people, reduced them to hopping out of here like timind rabbits, and the moderators didn't flinch or batt an eyelid.

There was a member here frequently called sarky and he was left do and post whatever he liked, I had a feeling he had some connection to the website because nobody else could get away with his rants only him. And anyone who had a problem with him could end up getting an infraction or ban.

Haven't seen him here in a long time....
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    You're being asked to follow the rules of the forum. Every forum on boards has its own rules. If you breach the rules you get warnings or bans.

You seem to think that the trite style of AH posting you're used to will be tolerated everywhere.

So do you think if I created or got the permission to open a more loosecloak style subforum where people like myself and others who've been run out of here is a good idea..

It could be similar to The hazards of belief and we could scoff and discuss how we think agnosticism and spirituality is far more open minded than Atheism.

And we could post clip's similar to The Hazards of belief too.

One thing for sure it would probably gain more momentum than this haunted place and having to wear a straight jacket and a gag on entry.

Back in the day this place was a hive of activity and people were having a great laugh, JC coming in here winding you all up and the laughs etc

Maybe ye need a new management structure and bring in more relaxed moderators.

Bring back the zest and get the juices flowing...

Mod

Posts discussing moderation and containing suggestions merged and moved as this is the correct thread for them.

nthclare wrote: »
    You assume that some people are deconstructing others belief's in front of them.
    I think that's quite egotistical to be honest.
    Cohesion isn't about destroying people's beliefs and using my post to validate your argument or discussion is a poor attempt to get your point across.

Proselytizing isn't tolerated on the Atheist and Agnosticism forum, why should deconstructing people's beliefs be allowed ???

Why shouldn't be allowed? Deconstructing a belief doesn't necessarily destroy it and even if it does, so what? If your belief falls apart under examination then is it not better to discard it?
    Then I've a moderator telling me maybe this forum isn't for me, maybe it's not the forum but the way it's been moderated isn't for me and many others...
    I'm ok I accept that.

Many others? I think most people are happy with how the forum is moderated.
    The few who have a problem are those who are not interested in actually discussing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Because thats what Atheists do - its nothing personal. Remember that at one stage or another most of us had some sort of belief, which we deconstructed ourselves.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Because thats what Atheists do - its nothing personal. Remember that at one stage or another most of us had some sort of belief, which we deconstructed ourselves.

I hear you, I'm a heathen/pagan myself not into the Abrahamic belief's some of ye deconstructed, so that fire and brimstone aint something I can fully identify with.
    My family came from North Kerry on my dad's side, and they never went to mass or put the church on a pedestal. The old people used to say my grandmother would run the priest out of the house if he came knocking on the door. She didn't like nuns either. So maybe I should be less is cuma and more iomasach...

Like a leopard I won't change my spots but I'll carry them around with better intentions.

It's over I said how I felt.

I'm moving on and I'll try to behave myself...

Odhinn wrote: »
    I hear you, I'm a heathen/pagan myself not into the Abrahamic belief's some of ye deconstructed, so that fire and brimstone aint something I can fully identify with.
    My family came from North Kerry on my dad's side, and they never went to mass or put the church on a pedestal. The old people used to say my grandmother would run the priest out of the house if he came knocking on the door. She didn't like nuns either. So maybe I should be less is cuma and more iomasach...

Like a leopard I won't change my spots but I'll carry them around with better intentions.

It's over I said how I felt.

I'm moving on and I'll try to behave myself...

Mod

Can we please keep this thread for Feedback?

The ins and outs of beliefs or lack thereof have many many many threads available - indeed, the one I had to move posts into this thread from is ready and waiting... but this thread is for feedback about the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Mod

Can we please keep this thread for Feedback?

The ins and outs of beliefs or lack thereof have many many many threads available - indeed, the one I had to move posts into this thread from is ready and waiting... but this thread is for feedback about the forum.

I think in that post above, you have made nthclare's argument. Possibly better than anyone.

nthclare and Odhinn seem to have no problem with entertaining/arguing each other's idea's. It looks very civil to me.

Yet ,still, they got a (gentle) Mod intervention.This place used to be "buzzing" at times .Recently, it has had more mods than posters.

It is curious. I suspect the regulars here know this.

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    I think in that post above, you have made nthclare's argument. Possibly better than anyone.

nthclare and Odhinn seem to have no problem with entertaining/arguing each other's idea's. It looks very civil to me.

Yet ,still, they got a (gentle) Mod intervention.This place used to be "buzzing" at times .Recently, it has had more mods than posters.

They are civil, but nthclare's original post was a question about what should and shouldn't be allowed on this forum (on topic for this thread) and when answered he responds with anecdotes about his life (wildly off topic). This is not the first time they have done this.

Maybe this place did used to be "buzzing" before, but the quantity of non-atheistic posters capable of discussing their points in even a semi- rigorous and thoughtful manner has largely fallen off of a cliff. It is unfortunately not unusual for a non-atheist poster to admit that they aren't here for discussion, don't care about what anyone else says and to immediately decry heavy-handed moderation when they are inevitably told that insults and soap-boxing don't make for engaging and entertaining posts.

Lucy8080 wrote: »

Perhap you would prefer a forum where posters can post what they like when they like where they like?
    It could be called A(narchy)& A(holes)

In this forum we ask that people try and stay on topic, and even then allow an awful lot of leeway while asking people to kindly post in the relevant thread - which tbh generally only happens when what they are posting falls under the category of feedback specific.
    Despite being asked to do so - rather than sanction or delete sections of posts that are off topic, a mod goes to the trouble of finding, merging, and moving the feedback related posts to the feedback thread, and then politely asks that the feedback thread is kept for feedback.

And you think this is heavy handed modding?

nthclare and Odhinn may entertain each other in a plethora of other threads.
    But this thread is for feedback.

And if it gets clogged up with entertainment either a)important suggestions re improving the forum will be missed or b)the entertaining posts will be deleted as off topic clutter.

Which would you prefer we do?

They are civil, but nthclare's original post was a question about what should and shouldn't be allowed on this forum (on topic for this thread) and when answered he responds with anecdotes about his life (wildly off topic). This is not the first time they have done this.

Maybe this place did used to be "buzzing" before, but the quantity of non-atheistic posters capable of discussing their points in even a semi- rigorous and thoughtful manner has largely fallen off of a cliff. It is unfortunately not unusual for a non-atheist poster to admit that they aren't here for discussion, don't care about what anyone else says and to immediately decry heavy-handed moderation when they are inevitably told that insults and soap-boxing don't make for engaging and entertaining posts.

You're like a dog with a bone, but I respect your opinion.
    I'll keep it on topic and stick to the charter, myself and the moderators have been quite civil to each other via pm

And I'm trying to adhere to the principles of the A+A rules and I'm entitled to move on and be left get on with it.

So Mark can we just move on please as I've made my points with the moderators, and I know this isn't after hours and the discussions are more serious here so I'll have to engage in a more professional manner, and leave my ego outside.

I think I can do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Perhap you would prefer a forum where posters can post what they like when they like where they like?
    It could be called A(narchy)& A(holes)

In this forum we ask that people try and stay on topic, and even then allow an awful lot of leeway while asking people to kindly post in the relevant thread - which tbh generally only happens when what they are posting falls under the category of feedback specific.
    Despite being asked to do so - rather than sanction or delete sections of posts that are off topic, a mod goes to the trouble of finding, merging, and moving the feedback related posts to the feedback thread, and then politely asks that the feedback thread is kept for feedback.

And you think this is heavy handed modding?

nthclare and Odhinn may entertain each other in a plethora of other threads.
    But this thread is for feedback.

And if it gets clogged up with entertainment either a)important suggestions re improving the forum will be missed or b)the entertaining posts will be deleted as off topic clutter.

Which would you prefer we do?

Two gentle points here.

I never mentioned "heavy-handed" moderation. I suspect you are fair enough to acknowledge that.

I never said I had a preference for a forum where folks can post "what they like,when they like ,where they like". Again ,in fairness,these are what you read into my post,and not my words.

The rest of your reply seems, to me, a fair viewpoint of your position as a mod currently. I have "no probs." with that. I think nthclare offered a viewpoint that had some valid observations in it too.

It seems both sides have resolved the issue ,which is a credit to moderation and feedback, so I'll leave it there, on a positive note.

P.S.

I've noticed recently that you got "Mod" status, congrats on that. Best of luck.On a lighter note,I am now off to the Anarchy "n" Headcase forum- (A-H to the rest of you). You can have half the royalties on that pun as you inspired it.

Advertisement