Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whirlpool fridge freezer_" Mains Filter Suppressor"

Options
  • 14-01-2021 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Hoping for some help with my Whirlpool fridge freezer here. No model number, believe me I have looked!
    Issue is as the fridge motor kicks in my TV blacks out just for a second. The fridge & TV are on the same circuit.
    Lets introduce " Mains Filter Suppressor" : The purpose of the mains filter inside your appliance is to prevent interference from the motor affecting other appliances in your home.
    So Mains Filter Suppressor is suspect.
    I have found a replacement & now my question, can you ID the component highlighted in RED in front of the white capacitor in the rear of the fridge?
    This fridge has more life in it yet!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

To me it looks like an aftermarket solid state relay, if you remove the cover over the compressor terminals and the two wires are connected to the two bottom pins of the motor it is a start relay, one of the wires will have the main feed down from the stat connected to it, that side will be the run winding of the motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭mrtom

To me it looks like an aftermarket solid state relay, if you remove the cover over the compressor terminals and the two wires are connected to the two bottom pins of the motor it is a start relay, one of the wires will have the main feed down from the stat connected to it, that side will be the run winding of the motor.

Good detail for me to follow. Next time I spin & examine the fridge.

Question : Is a mains suppressor fitted as standard and as you can see from previous attch, where can I fit this replacement with 3 connectors on this unit ? Marching forward.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

The suppressor is fitted across the live and neutral on the mains connector block of the three core lead and green lead to earth

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭mrtom

The suppressor is fitted across the live and neutral on the mains connector block of the three core lead and green lead to earth

Can you see where this mains connector block is in the attch ?

Illustrated suppressor has 2 black & 1 green lead so polarity isn't relevant ? Black on L, black on N, Green earth?

My basic understanding is when the motor kicks in, momentary arcing generating noise in the circuit or a dip in voltage...
    Makes sense ?

Advertisement