Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unfinished pine table

• 10-01-2021 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi,

Bought one of the Ingo unfinished pine tables from Ikea recently. Unfortunately, I did not realise how expensive finishes were. A carpenter told me really what I need to coat it in is shellac sealer but that seems rather expensive.

Does anyone have any recommendations? There is varnish in Mr.Price that is very cheap, while the shellac stuff is around 12 euro per 250ml. I don't think 250ml will do this :o

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/ingo-table-pine-14630009/

Comments

That’s a table that needs painting IMHO

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I think JZ has hit the nail on the head here.
    It looks like a whitedeal table, and white deal is normally painted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

Tin of satin varnish, it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Odelay wrote: »
    Tin of sarin varnish, it will be fine.
    Yes, deadly :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hah, that's gas.

• Advertisement

Killer idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

You can varnish it and yes, finishes are expensive. If you want to keep the blonde look I would use water based polyurethane. Solvent based polyurethane is tougher IMO but will turn the piece honey yellow and keep on mellowing over a few years. Get yourself a good varnish brush from a paint shop and it will give the best finish.
    If you want the best of both worlds find somebody who will give it a spray finish with precat lacquer,:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

+1 for the varnish, and make sure you're wearing sufficient PPE if you go with the sarin option.

539085.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, deadly :D

The ole autocorrect and previous searches..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'previous searches'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭gaming_needs90

Well, I went for the varnish in the end. This stuff was in Mr.Price for 1.99 and I have one coat on the tabletop done.

https://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk/manufacturers/151_/151_clear_gloss_varnish_180ml_tin_dy007a_P31019.html

One small issue though, there may be no sarin in it but the solvent inside (Naptha) is absolutely poisoning me out of it in my small apartment. Hopefully it doesn't linger for too long :pac:

recipio wrote: »
    You can varnish it and yes, finishes are expensive. If you want to keep the blonde look I would use water based polyurethane. Solvent based polyurethane is tougher IMO but will turn the piece honey yellow and keep on mellowing over a few years. Get yourself a good varnish brush from a paint shop and it will give the best finish.
    If you want the best of both worlds find somebody who will give it a spray finish with precat lacquer,:pac:

Yep, looks like the table is turning honey yellow :o I don't mind, its a dirt cheap table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Well, I went for the varnish in the end. This stuff was in Mr.Price for 1.99 and I have one coat on the tabletop done.

https://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk/manufacturers/151_/151_clear_gloss_varnish_180ml_tin_dy007a_P31019.html

One small issue though, there may be no sarin in it but the solvent inside (Naptha) is absolutely poisoning me out of it in my small apartment. Hopefully it doesn't linger for too long :pac:

I bought a tin of that brand in mr price, black gloss
    never again - pure posion! avoid at all costs

boomdocker wrote: »
    I bought a tin of that brand in mr price, black gloss
    never again - pure posion! avoid at all costs

It is absolute poison, no argument there.

I am in too deep now though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Looks fine to me - nothing wrong with a bit of colour :)

I shall give a PSA to anyone. Do not use 151 Gloss Varnish. It is absolutely poisonous stuff. It seems to give grand coverage although I see spots that are dry. It is quite hard to spread as it is considerably thick. As a bonus, there is are Chinese symbols and a mans head on the bottom of the inside of the can!

For my third coat and the legs, I have moved to a more quality brand. Dealz "Mini Paints Hi-Gloss Yacht Varnish". I shall report back on progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭boomdocker

I shall give a PSA to anyone. Do not use 151 Gloss Varnish. It is absolutely poisonous stuff. It seems to give grand coverage although I see spots that are dry. It is quite hard to spread as it is considerably thick. As a bonus, there is are Chinese symbols and a mans head on the bottom of the inside of the can!

For my third coat and the legs, I have moved to a more quality brand. Dealz "Mini Paints Hi-Gloss Yacht Varnish". I shall report back on progress!

From Mr price to Dealz ... you're really stepping it up a notch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've often used those small tins of varnish and metal primer from Dealz- they're made by a UK manufacturer and they are actually very good quality. They're ideal for small jobs.

My friends, I present to you the finished product! Sorry for the terrible photo, I just wanted to get the reflection from the light :P

DSC_0002 (1).JPG

In the end it took two coats of the Mr.Price 151 Industries Gloss Varnish and one coat of Dealz Mini-Paints Yacht Varnish on top. One coat did the legs etc. It is by no means perfect or good but fine for a 50 euro pine table.

DO NOT under any circumstances buy the Mr.Price "151" brand varnish. It has lethal VOC fumes, made in China, honey thick and takes a solid 48 hours to touch dry.

41urgwiW99L.__AC_QL70_ML2_.jpg

And the bottom of the tin :P

DSC_0003 (1).JPG

The Dealz Mini-Paints varnish is brilliant. Made in the UK, not as thick, fumes are perfectly bearable, dries in 16 hours (As it says on the tin!) and is 1.50 for 215ml. (Compared to 1.99 for 180ml above).

TWO-Yacht-Varnish-Hi-Gloss-Mini-Paints-Decorating-215ml.jpg

Advertisement