Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 Fitness Goals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

mdwexford wrote: »
    Get my 2k indoor row time under 7 minutes (current best is 7.11.9)

Row a marathon (42,195m) on the Concept 2 rower.

Cycle a 100k on the Concept 2 bike erg.

A fellow concept2 addict :)

I did my first marathon on the rower last year - the first 30k was grand but then I hit a major wall. I made the mistake of not getting enough 20-30k sessions in - just sort of went for it one day. I do erg a lot generally, but not usually anything beyond 10k

Happy rowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don't think I could ever talk myself into doing a marathon on a C2.

I still remember the Sports Expo in 1st year in UCD when you had to row 500m as quick as you can and I felt it for days. Not the same but I'll never forget it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

eet fuk wrote: »
    A fellow concept2 addict :)

I did my first marathon on the rower last year - the first 30k was grand but then I hit a major wall. I made the mistake of not getting enough 20-30k sessions in - just sort of went for it one day. I do erg a lot generally, but not usually anything beyond 10k

Happy rowing!

Yes sir :D

Yeah I rarely do anything beyond 10k either. Furthest I’ve ever done is 13k so a marathon is a lofty goal! I’ll have to do a good bit of preparation and maybe try it during the summer.

Thanks, you too!
    I don't think I could ever talk myself into doing a marathon on a C2.

I still remember the Sports Expo in 1st year in UCD when you had to row 500m as quick as you can and I felt it for days. Not the same but I'll never forget it :pac:

Going flat out is a killer on it.
    My best 2k I was very close to getting sick after it. Took a long time to recover.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Yes sir :D

Yeah I rarely do anything beyond 10k either. Furthest I’ve ever done is 13k so a marathon is a lofty goal! I’ll have to do a good bit of preparation and maybe try it during the summer.

Thanks, you too!

Going flat out is a killer on it.
    My best 2k I was very close to getting sick after it. Took a long time to recover.

I do love the C2. I got to a point where I used it to build fitness for the last couple of 'proper' runs because I enjoyed it more than running.

I only did 2k once...I liked intervals better but I was so close to breaking 7 mins for it and set intervals too short (200m...No idea why so short) that I don't know how didn't go again.

I'd have bought one for lockdown if it wasn't another thing I enjoy that aggravates my hip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

No fitness goals because gyms are closed till summer. I go out for walk/run intervals, if I can cover 10k in an hour that way -that's perfect, given the fact I'm borderline overweight, aerobic fitness doesn't interest me anyways. I'm also starving myself to lose few kgs of fat and remainder of the muscle from the good old days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That is so helpful. Makes me feel much better about my numbers. I am another little person and it took me a year to bench 35kgs which sounds tiny but I was delighted.

I am actually at intermediate at some of those.

Anyone laughing at someone for training hard is an idiot. Good work.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

alphaLaura wrote: »
    I'm not a big human (34 y/o female, 49 kg) so please don't laugh too loud at my numbers ��

Buuuut, I'd like to move the following this year:
    Deadlift 85kg
    Squat 60kg
    Bench 45kg
    OHP 30kg

Current 1RM PBs:
    Deadlift 75kg
    Squat 52kg
    Bench 40kg
    OHP 28kg

I haven't tested all my 1RMs in a year due gym closures but my home closet gym is in full use since September so bedroom gains here we come ��
    That is so helpful. Makes me feel much better about my numbers. I am another little person and it took me a year to bench 35kgs which sounds tiny but I was delighted.

I am actually at intermediate at some of those.

Everyone here is in the same boat...trying to beat their own best numbers. It doesn't matter what those numbers are.

Any meet I've done, everyone is cheered on just the same regardless of the weight they're lifting because fundamentally its always about you being stronger than you were.

Anyone who scoffs at anyone else's numbers is a díck in any language.

Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'm not a big human (34 y/o female, 49 kg) so please don't laugh too loud at my numbers ��

Buuuut, I'd like to move the following this year:
    Deadlift 85kg
    Squat 60kg
    Bench 45kg
    OHP 30kg

Current 1RM PBs:
    Deadlift 75kg
    Squat 52kg
    Bench 40kg
    OHP 28kg

I haven't tested all my 1RMs in a year due gym closures but my home closet gym is in full use since September so bedroom gains here we come ��

I think these are great numbers for your weight! That's why there's weight classes for weight lifting comps, mass moves mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Heading towards 40, 68kg, F. Started weights/fitness 3yrs ago.

Finally hit 60kg Clean just before Christmas so goal this year is to be able to jerk it.

Also want to hit 45kg snatch and get my first muscle up.

On a program at the moment to train all these and accessories, up protein and build some strength. Lucky to have a barbell at home, but it's not the same training on your own at all. Looking forward to gyms reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Patsy167 wrote: »
    More challenging than usual with current limitations but it's nice to have a few things to aim for.

Mine are:
    - Schedule weekend hikes for Spring - Did park walks instead. Not driving at the moment so the convenience of visiting local parks did the job.
    - Cycle Western Greenway - Will still try to make this happen this year
    - Replace some of the sports trash talk podcasts with educational podcasts and audiobooks - Nope, still listening to every sports podcast going. I did listen to "The obstacle is the way" by Ryan Holiday which was surprisingly enjoyable. Must try pick out another one
    -10k steps daily - Not tracking but i reckon my weekly average would be about 10k/day. Hope to keep this going and not drop off.

So boardsies, what are your 2021 fitness goals?

We're just past the halfway mark for 2021 and this week feels like a clean slate for many with the gyms reopening so it's as good a time as any to nail down some goals.Looking through my goals above and it's been a bit hit and miss.

What are we all aiming towards for the remainder of 2021?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Squat 300 Looks to potentially be on way soon now that I can actually push for it without risking death and training numbers indicate it's on the way.

Bench 150 Perfect timing, hit it Saturday :pac:

Deadlift 300 Work in progress :o

All should be achievable, squat might need to be reevaluated after a few months as I possibly have that already but won't get to test it for a while.

Happy enough, will want to get these in comp but that's all still up in the air so am ok with just getting them in training for now.

We're just past the halfway mark for 2021 and this week feels like a clean slate for many with the gyms reopening so it's as good a time as any to nail down some goals.Looking through my goals above and it's been a bit hit and miss.

Being able to walk with a 10kg backback for 20+ minutes pain free.

Expectations have changed somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A proper deep weighted Jefferson Curl by the end of the year, not sure how long that kind of mobility takes, could be 3 months , could be a year.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Thankfully on track to hit most of my goals above, so long as I can keep the same progress going for the second half of the year.

20 chins might not happen as I haven’t had access to a pull-up bar, but if I can beat my record of 15 weighing 95kg then I’d still be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭alphaLaura

Well I was flying along towards my squat, bench, deadlift and press goals but I have invited some sort of shoulder impingement misery upon myself. This is super annoying because I only really feel it (ie feel the ache) when reracking after benching, when I squat heavier (low bar, narrow grip), and when doing frivolous things such as overhead tricep extensions etc.

Anyways, I've resolved to avoid all the things that aggravate it for a few weeks and concentrate on what I love - deadlifts :D

For now, this is where I'm at:

Deadlift goal is 85kg - I moved 81kg x 2 a few weeks ago and because I am impatient and I love deadlifts I started the Mag Ort template :pac:
    Squat goal 60kg - 57.5kg x 3 in April
    Bench goal 45kg - I can do 39kg x 2 easy peasy but due shoulder disaster, I can't go at bench for a while.
    OHP goal 30kg - disaster, no progress, disregard :mad:

One big plus is that I have managed to put on a whole kilogram of weight. I know this sounds nuts but I am so proud, it's taken alot of work. Even though I LOVE food and have a monster apetite, my body shuts down my hunger after a few days of tricking it into eating over maintenance. So for now, I'm kinda gaintaining.

Well I was flying along towards my squat, bench, deadlift and press goals but I have invited some sort of shoulder impingement misery upon myself. This is super annoying because I only really feel it (ie feel the ache) when reracking after benching, when I squat heavier (low bar, narrow grip), and when doing frivolous things such as overhead tricep extensions etc.

Anyways, I've resolved to avoid all the things that aggravate it for a few weeks and concentrate on what I love �� Deadlifts.

For now, this is where I'm at:

Deadlift goal is 85kg - I moved 81kg x 2 a few weeks ago and because I am impatient and I love deadlifts I started the Mag Ort template ��
    Squat goal 60kg - 57.5kg x 3 in April
    Bench goal 45kg - I can do 39kg x 2 easy peasy but due shoulder disaster, I can't go at bench for a while.
    OHP goal 30kg - disaster, no progress, disregard ðŸ™

One big plus is that I have managed to put on a whole kilogram of weight. I know this sounds nuts but I am so proud, it's taken alot of work. Even though I LOVE food and have a monster apetite, my body shuts down my hunger after a few days of tricking it into eating over maintenance. So for now, I'm kinda gaintaining.

Static hanging when done consistently has been a game changer for resolving shoulder issues.

Plenty resources online but here's a good article as an intro - https://www.elitecme.com/resource-center/rehabilitation-therapy/hanging-like-a-monkey-to-fix-my-shoulder-pain#:~:text=According%20to%20board%20certified%20orthopedic,The%20Solution%20and%20Prevention%E2%80%9D.

Static hanging when done consistently has been a game changer for resolving shoulder issues.

Plenty resources online but here's a good article as an intro - https://www.elitecme.com/resource-center/rehabilitation-therapy/hanging-like-a-monkey-to-fix-my-shoulder-pain#:~:text=According%20to%20board%20certified%20orthopedic,The%20Solution%20and%20Prevention%E2%80%9D.

Have read about this last week while doing extensive google research on my shoulder misery (:rolleyes:) - thanks a mill! Will give these a try along with the rest of the rehab mania, and at the very least it will help improve my grip strength (currently at pathetic level).

Have read about this last week while doing extensive google research on my shoulder misery (:rolleyes:) - thanks a mill! Will give these a try along with the rest of the rehab mania, and at the very least it will help improve my grip strength (currently at pathetic level).

I think I heard it on a Joe Rogan podcast first. It was something Ido Portal was working on with Connor McGregor. I'm hoping hanging from a bar is golden ticket to making it to the top of the Forbes list (but I'll settle for less shoulder pain if that doesn't work out).

Hopefully it works for you. Here's Ido Portal's stuff - http://www.idoportal.com/blog/hanging

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Shoulders are so complex, you have to try it all to find what works.

Hangs made zero difference to me but definitely worth trying. Your grip strength may be a limiting factor, if you can’t hang long enough to create space.

What resolved my pain was honest to god super strict barbell overhead pressing, and really shrugging at the top of the movement. Sets of 5, super correct, gradual progression.

The other thing I would try is, in your warm up, a high volume of band pull aparts, bent over reverse flyes and YTWs. All light, but get in 50-100 reps total.

Either approach will take time to work.

Personally rather than dropping whatever is aggravating I.e the squat it I would sub movements. If you can’t squat try front squats, safety bar squat, or do a few cycles of mixture of machines, single leg, whatever.

Could be that a few weeks not aggravating it could stop any continual inflammation that’s going on.

See it all the time with tendinitis, people never let the inflammation actually resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Static hangs are working for me. I use wraps, that way it doesn’t become a grip exercise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

We're just past the halfway mark for 2021...

Not yet we’re not. ;)

Small update:

• My shoulder is still out of service
    • I pulled a double 87.5kg last week so I may revise my 85kg goal for the end of the year 😊

Good on you! That's phenomenal going on the deadlift. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Gave the marathon a go today for the first time, my only goal was to get it finished and managed that so I’m delighted.

Sore butt and hands now though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭sudocremegg

I got to 150kg deadlift last summer. But ended up losing a lot of progress over winter. Currently at 140kg.

I'd love to be able to get to 170kg by Christmas but that's gonna be tough.

That's a phenomenal achievement - you should be proud! Was listening to a podcast recently with John McAvoy about how he started using an indoor rower and it changed his life around. His story would inspire anyone to give the rower a try - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McAvoy_(athlete)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

amazing, the most I do on the Concept is 5K , I think the idea of rowing a marathon would scare me more than running one.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Got my deadlift PB last Wednesday with a 227.5kg/500lbs pull. Not quite 230 but I'm happy to take the 10kg improvement for the year. Feels like a lot more in the tank.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWrBP-XA9g2/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Not going to be setting any new maxes before the end of the year. Gyms were definitely closed longer than I was expecting and I fell short of most of my strength goals.

Did cut to 95.

Deadlifted 235kg, after coming back from the most recent closure deadlift just never properly clicked the way it was so I'll take this mini pr. Progress was also stalled by fatigue from a different approach to squatting.

Squatted 190kg. A good few other rep PRs could maybe have hit 200 if I'd had a consistent run at it. Feel I have a pretty good base going forward here.

OHP 90kg. My shoulder is in poor condition so I'll absolutely take this.

Bench hit 117.5kg for 1.5 reps and tried 122.5 on two different. Occasions but has a mix of me messing up and poor spotters. Confident I would have hit 120 if I'd tried it. Bench was really clicking recently but it'll be a while before I can do it.

Did run consistentlyish and PRed my bronco in the summer but cardio has really fallen off recently as I've pursued strength goals.

• Advertisement

Advertisement