Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 Fitness Goals

Options
  • 03-01-2021 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

More challenging than usual with current limitations but it's nice to have a few things to aim for.

Mine are:
    - Schedule weekend hikes for Spring
    - Cycle Western Greenway
    - Replace some of the sports trash talk podcasts with educational podcasts and audiobooks
    -10k steps daily

So boardsies, what are your 2021 fitness goals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

To get into a gym this side of March

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Try to hit 242 training days, managed 188 last year despite a few setbacks.
    Get close to 10%bf.
    Enjoy it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

1. Continue to train 4-5 days of the week, continue to avoid significant injuries (in 2020 all I had was bruised ribs, a good result).

2. Limit days I drink alcohol to 2-3 days of the week and moderate consumption.

3. If I can get my macros correct I'd like to try 16 hour fasting again. I don't see why I can't eat all my calories in an 8 hour window without it being a big deal, I feel like I just need more practice at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Deadlift 230

Bench 130

Press 80

Squat pain free

20 chins in a row

The lifts are lofty enough, but if I shoot for that and miss I'll at least hit a PB of some kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

To incorporate more cardio. Options are limited but hopefully slam ball work is doable. Every time I had a chance to that while it seemed to be wet outside and the few times I tried to do anything, I realised that picking up a wet 45kg slam ball wasn't going to work.

To get my squat back to where it was in March - which will be hip-dependent.

Will see if I can get ROM back to deadlift

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Squat 300

Bench 150

Deadlift 300

All should be achievable, squat might need to be reevaluated after a few months as I possibly have that already but won't get to test it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Squat 300

Bench 150

Deadlift 300

All should be achievable, squat might need to be reevaluated after a few months as I possibly have that already but won't get to test it for a while.

Can I ask what's probably a dumb question but are these types of targets for a single execution of the respective movement of for, say 3 sets of 10?

I'm a total novice and can just about manage to bench press 60kg for 3 sets of 10.
    I haven't tried to do a single bench press at a higher weight for a PB so don't know what's possible but certainly nothing like the figures quoted above

JMR wrote: »
    Can I ask what's probably a dumb question but are these types of targets for a single execution of the respective movement of for, say 3 sets of 10?

I'm a total novice and can just about manage to bench press 60kg for 3 sets of 10.
    I haven't tried to do a single bench press at a higher weight for a PB so don't know what's possible but certainly nothing like the figures quoted above

Single of each :). I compete in powerlifting so you get 3 attempts at a single at each of the 3 lifts with your best counting towards your total.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Single of each :). I compete in powerlifting

Thank God for that, don't feel quite so inadequate 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

More form PRs and hopefully number PRs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

bladespin wrote: »
    Get close to 10%bf.

I'll give you some of mine if you're running low! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

I'll give you some of mine if you're running low! :(

Cheers but I’ve some to spare myself lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Looking at last years goals which were greatly affected by gym closures:
    Hard to make accurate goals when rugby has been the main goal but this might be my last season playing seriously so:
    • Lose 5kg and be at a better body fat percentage
    • Eat a lot cleaner
    • Deadlift 250 - most I've pulled is 220 but that wasn't a 1RM it's just the most that fits on the bar at the current gym.
    • Squat 200 - know idea where this is at the moment haven't trained back squat consistently since the summer when e1rm was 180ish
    • Strict press 95 - have done 85 a few times
    • Bench more - have been stagnant for ages but finally hitting rep maxes at least on inverted juggernaut
    • Run something stupidly challenging like Building the Monolith, Deep Water or Alsruhe's Mass Builder to completion.
    • Did lose the 5kg and looked a lot leaner. Put back on two kilos or so but definitely better body comp.
    • Very vague goal but I would say yes I have at least for my main meals still snack on way too much sweet stuff
    • Hit 230kg before the second gym closure was very close to max. With all the disruptions I was never hitting 250kg in 2020.
    • Got 180kg on the very last day of 2020. Annoying as before the second closure I think I was looking good for 190kg in the near future.
    • Got 87.5kg, progress here is hard won.
    • Hit some rep PRs since then but haven't gone near a 1rm. Think I'm psyching myself out
    • Didn't get to run any of these but did get some more program variety than I've had in other years.

Something I hadn't planned on doing in 2020 and probably wouldn't have done but for gym closures was do couch to 5k and complete my first 5k...and my second one...and my third one. Definitely had my best cardio ever.

Not having any idea when I'll have access to equipment makes setting goals for this year hard but I'll give it a go. Not setting any goals around band workouts because they're so high rep it seems silly.
    • Cut to 95kg by the end of March and when the gyms are open slowly bulk.
    • Deadlift 250kg. If I get a proper run in the gym I know I can do this.
    • Squat 200kg, same as deadlift but mental game will be more important here.
    • OHP 95kg, it's possible but certainly a lofty goal.
    • Bench 120kg. Should be absolutely piss but possibly the hardest goal for me.
    • Consistently run during this lockdown despite the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sonyvision

My fitness has been only running in the last 2 years. Completed two Marathons, last one under 3:30 if DCM goes ahead hope to achieve it again with the goal of 2:59 in the future.

Run a 5k in under 20 minutes, achieved this ones in 2020 want to repeat it easy on a weekly basis.

Take up cycling and get swimming lessons to give a triathlon an attempt. I have terrible swimming technique so if I just got comfortable in the water in 2021 I would be delighted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

JMR wrote: »
    Thank God for that, don't feel quite so inadequate 😂

Don’t go looking up Clarence Kennedy so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Squat 180
    Deadlift 220
    Bench 100
    Ohp 62.5

Maybe run 1/2 a week and drop a few kg.
    If I stay injury free and train consistently then I see no reason not to hit these numbers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Squat 180
    Deadlift 210
    Bench 130

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Squat 300

Bench 150

Deadlift 300

Wow! That's incredible dedication and discipline to get to those numbers. Just curious, Is it common at the elite levels for the the Squat and Deadlift to be on par?

First time I have seen this - Most seem to have a higher deadlift. I'd be curious to hear your take on it - What would you attribute it to?

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Wow! That's incredible dedication and discipline to get to those numbers. Just curious, Is it common at the elite levels for the the Squat and Deadlift to be on par?

First time I have seen this - Most seem to have a higher deadlift. I'd be curious to hear your take on it - What would you attribute it to?

Not really :pac:

I'm very much an outlier there in my weight class (105kgs), my squat is actually bigger than my deadlift. I've hit a 290 squat, 275 deadlift during the summer. Based on training numbers since more should be there on both, but just want the 300 squat before I look further than that. Assuming I'm able to train in a gym rather than alone in my garage in the next few months, I should hit the squat first. I'm much more built for squat.

There is a tendency in the weight classes above me that they would become closer on average and in elite super heavyweights at a World level squat would be bigger typically.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Also, the anime music lends itself more towards squats.

• Advertisement

Also, the anime music lends itself more towards squats.

Incorrect, that's for bench only :pac:. For squats it is Immigrant Song. I like to pretend I'm Thor :pac::pac::pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

Last two year I have trained over 220 times in the year, I completed two fitness goals I wanted to do for number years.

This year I would like to hit 220 or higher workouts - cycle the ROK- become more consistent with mobility and diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Try not to get the 'rona, lose another 3kg, 2 gone since New Year's Day, get a faster 5km time without wrecking my body.
    Can't make many other goals with no gyms for god knows how long.

Drinking far less this year, looks like I might actually complete Dry Jan this year, I've never made it before, but it makes sleep and diet so much better, zero craving for any bad food and eating less.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

This year I want to deadlift over 200kg for the first time in almost 10 years and 2 knee surgeries.

Squat pain free.

Mad one: ice skate 5km. Depends on my local speed skate rink opening again.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Gruffalo27

Train often
    Run another Marathon or two
    Dont get injured

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭alphaLaura

I'm not a big human (34 y/o female, 49 kg) so please don't laugh too loud at my numbers 😂

Buuuut, I'd like to move the following this year:
    Deadlift 85kg
    Squat 60kg
    Bench 45kg
    OHP 30kg

Current 1RM PBs:
    Deadlift 75kg
    Squat 52kg
    Bench 40kg
    OHP 28kg

I haven't tested all my 1RMs in a year due gym closures but my home closet gym is in full use since September so bedroom gains here we come 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Patsy167

alphaLaura wrote: »
    I'm not a big human (34 y/o female, 49 kg) so please don't laugh too loud at my numbers ��

Deadlift 85kg
    Squat 60kg
    Bench 45kg
    OHP 30kg

Current 1RM PBs:
    Deadlift 75kg
    Squat 52kg
    Bench 40kg
    OHP 28kg

I haven't tested all my 1RMs in a year due gym closures but my home closet gym is in full use since September so bedroom gains here we come ��

Ain't nobody going to be laughing at those numbers. The following might be of interest for strength relative to BW - https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/female/kg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Ain't nobody going to be laughing at those numbers. The following might be of interest for strength relative to BW - https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/female/kg

That is so helpful. Makes me feel much better about my numbers. I am another little person and it took me a year to bench 35kgs which sounds tiny but I was delighted.

I am actually at intermediate at some of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Get my 2k indoor row time under 7 minutes (current best is 7.11.9)

Row a marathon (42,195m) on the Concept 2 rower.

Cycle a 100k on the Concept 2 bike erg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Gruffalo27

alphaLaura wrote: »
    I'm not a big human (34 y/o female, 49 kg) so please don't laugh too loud at my numbers 😂

Deadlift 85kg
    Squat 60kg
    Bench 45kg
    OHP 30kg

Current 1RM PBs:
    Deadlift 75kg
    Squat 52kg
    Bench 40kg
    OHP 28kg

I haven't tested all my 1RMs in a year due gym closures but my home closet gym is in full use since September so bedroom gains here we come 😂

Those are amazing numbers...
    I'd struggle with them
    Fair play to ya

Advertisement