Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Kevin Anderson's Saga of the seven Suns : 3/4 way through book one but not entirely certain that I want to read the next 6 , at least they've all been written so I won't have to hang about for the finale. going to read book 2 anyway and make my mind up then.

also just finished Katherine Kerr's Spirit Stone, tbh I had almost forgotten about this author as after a really good 3 books (which I read back in the 80's) i've continued to read all the Deverry series but it has faded into jadedness in recent years, this was no real exception, poor and generally predictable throughout. shame really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

growler wrote: »
    Kevin Anderson's Saga of the seven Suns : 3/4 way through book one but not entirely certain that I want to read the next 6 , at least they've all been written so I won't have to hang about for the finale. going to read book 2 anyway and make my mind up then.

Well worth the read, the first 3/4 of book one is more of an introduction. I made the mistake of picking it up when book 2 was just out, it was agony having to wait a year for each next book.

Currently reading the 2nd of peter f hamiltons void series, i'm quite enjoying it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Lots of people reading Kevin J. Anderson's series but... anything I've read by him makes me think he's an awful writer (his X-Files books and his Dune books). Does his talent really improve that much when working in his own universe??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

never read Dune or any x-file book, didn't realise it was the same lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Did you ever read the others? The third, The Farthest Shore, is excellent (if a little slow). Love that book.

There was also a recent Studio Ghibli feature loosely based on it, called Tales from Earthsea - its worth a gander.

Currently making my way through Hamilton's Fallen Dragon before i move onto his latest The Temporal Void (which looks rather large and ominous).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Shinjuku

Mindbridge by Joe Haldeman. Picked it up in a second hand bookshop, it's a really old print. On the back it says Eire: 95½p!!!

It's a good short read, just finished it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Re-reading (after years) Stephen Donaldson's Gap cycle.

Currently on book 3 (The Gap Into Power: A Dark and Hungry God Arises), and really enjoying it...its every bit as good as I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Currently reading Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin. It's been on my shelf for over a year so I said to hell with it. It's turning out brilliantly. Great atmosphere and characters. The setting is really what makes it though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ great book! ^^

Reading "Red Mars". About 2/3rd through and loving it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Shinjuku

Dades wrote: »
    ^^ great book! ^^

Reading "Red Mars". About 2/3rd through and loving it.

Tis a great book. You know there are two sequels, blue & green mars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm finally getting through the backlog of books I had.

I'm now about 10 chapters into Glen Cook's Black Company, and it's really, really good. Very to the point, where some authors have a blow-by-blow account of combat for everyone involved, Cook will write " 3 men died in the first 5 seconds, then the wizard threw a beehive at the rest. It was over 10 seconds later. Suddenly, it was 2 months later..." Keeps the plot and action zipping along at a great pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ronanc1

Just finished brandon sandersons elantris twas pretty good heard his mist born series is one to read whAt can you tell me bout them eventine ?

Also wondering has anyone read any of juliet mckennas books ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Just finished Matter (liked it a lot, then again I really like Banks) and Revelation Space (Not so sure about this, will read Chasm city anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

I am reading Paycheck and other Short Stories by Philip K. Dick, good stuff so far.

'The Year of Our War' by Steph Swainston. It'd been lying around on my shelf for ages, but it's actually turned out pretty decent. It's part of the "new weird" genre (apparently) and it's fairly refreshing as a result. I'd probably be encouraged to read a follow-up tale, albeit after the thousand other books lying about my room..,

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

I just joined so maybe I have the wrong impression, but does nobody here rate Greg Egan? IMO he is the best hard SF writer around. I'm reading Incandescence at the moment. Axiomatic is a brilliant collection of short stories.

Currently reading "The Confusion" by Neal Stephenson. It'd be tough to call this sci-fi/fantasy, but I'm placing it here because of Stephenson's other works. It's ... very detailed (often too much so) but I can't deny that it's well researched and witty at times. I still don't like the character of Eliza however. Maybe my attitude will change with time. And hey, it features Dundalk...
    I just joined so maybe I have the wrong impression, but does nobody here rate Greg Egan? IMO he is the best hard SF writer around. I'm reading Incandescence at the moment. Axiomatic is a brilliant collection of short stories.
    Just recently bought "Permutation City" as I've always wanted to see what he's like. It'll be a while before I get around to reading it though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

ixoy wrote: »
    Just recently bought "Permutation City" as I've always wanted to see what he's like. It'll be a while before I get around to reading it though...

Actually, I have to say that this is not one of my favourites of Egan's novels. However, hope you enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

'The Year of Our War' by Steph Swainston. It'd been lying around on my shelf for ages, but it's actually turned out pretty decent. It's part of the "new weird" genre (apparently) and it's fairly refreshing as a result. I'd probably be encouraged to read a follow-up tale, albeit after the thousand other books lying about my room..,

ordered it off Play , having read this thread and a review it seems interesting ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I enjoyed its quite good, if a little short, but quite different ad unique in its own right, it somewhat straddles the fantasy. sci fi genres too.
    Looking forward th the next one thanks!
    Just finished Book 1 of the Tawny Man trilogy Fools Errand , which i really enjoyed, it really expands on the wit and if you like Robin Hobb and the assassin trilogy u will like this book. I am
    starting book 2 right after this post. i have also dipped my toes into Sorcery Rising which so far looks okay, also recently finished The Road by Cormac Mc Carty really really good and tied in well with Fallout 3 which I was playing on the xbox at the time !

At the moment, "World War Z" by Max Brooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

The follow up is quite good too as it happens. Havent read the third in the series yet.

LOTP wrote: »
    The follow up is quite good too as it happens. Havent read the third in the series yet.
    Thanks for that. I posted a more comprehensive review on my Reading Log, with not being overwhelmed but still curious to see what happens next to a heroin-addicted denim-clad crazy immortal angel hybrid...

Currently I'm reading "Galactic North" by Alastair Reynolds, a collection of short stories and novellas set in the Revelation Space universe. The first short story was quite weak and had me worried (although it was one of his earliest pieces of work), but the subsequent entries range from good to excellent, with 2 standout pieces so far.

I'm also reading "Devices and Desires" by K.J. Parker. I love his plain spoken characters, who you can easily relate to, rather than the pompous, overly-spoken characters that are in many fantasy characters. I'm a little worried that he'll diverge too much into the technicalities of engineering (something he was wont to do with forging in his Pattern series), but so far it hasn't distracted much.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Well all ill say in relation to the second in the Steph Swainston follow up is that, imo, second books can be tough, especially when the first was so fresh. Finding a new catch and/or formula that remains fresh without diluting the core of the characters can be a tall order. Fortunately Swainston managed to keep me interested. While there wasnt the crescendo that i found in OYOW, the book developed the character nicely and gave me more of an insight into the world in which the characters lived. Also the second book focuses more upon the main characters interactions with the other immortals.

As i said, quite good as it happens :)

Stardust by Gaimen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Sandor wrote: »
    Stardust by Gaimen.

Brilliant book. Have a go at American Gods & Anansi Boys too - actually all his novels are great!

• Advertisement

Smart Bug wrote: »
    Brilliant book. Have a go at American Gods & Anansi Boys too - actually all his novels are great!

I've already read them but cheers! Neverwhere is also quite good. His short stories are well worth a look if you haven't read them. It seems to be the area he really excells in. They're actually better than some of his longer fiction.

Advertisement