Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to buy?

Options
  • 15-03-2005 11:28pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apart from Forbidden Planet and Murder Ink- where else can you buy semi-decent squiffy in Dublin?
    I love the quarterly anthalogies of short stories- along the lines of "You bet your planet" and others- but inevitably end up having to get these online (mostly from the states). Was in London at the weekend and am so jealous of their bookshops over there- its just not fair. We're really not properly catered for here.......
    I'd also like to know where to buy contemporary Manga/Hentai- even run of the mill stuff like Luftwaffe 1946 is next to impossible to get here.

Maybe people might like to list any of their more favourite hunting grounds for sci-fi related material here. If we get a decent list going- Sean might sticky it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Arg don't use my real name online, it creeps me out ;P

Sure no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭solo1

I gave up on Dublin. I have a standing order at Forbidden Planet, and they send me Garth Ennis stuff whenever they get it, but for the real stuff, I go to Los Angeles. Those guys have kick-ass comic shops. And the guys know exactly what you're talking about when you mention some obscure 1986 two-shot. If you're going to Los Angeles, I can recommend a number of places, and provide directions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

www.alibris.com

For both new and second hand books.
    Amazing range- and decent updates by e-mail on your order status.

Note: this is based in California, so obviously your shipping costs may exceed the purchase costs of the books. Large orders work out best shipping wise. My last order was in a sealed Deutsche Post mailbag and came via Germany. Books were all in acceptable condition- including a large number of bound "library style" books, that cost an arm and a leg.

Their sci-fi offerings are particularly good.....

No, I'm not on commission :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

smccarrick wrote:
    No, I'm not on commission :)

hehe u sure? ;)

It is next to impossible to get a lot of stuff over here alrite.What I wud suggest it tracking down an Irish book supplier, theres a few good ones knocking around, and see if they will order stuff for ya.I used to work for a company that supplied schools and libraries and it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

For people in Waterford City:

Comixstop on the Quays have manga, anime, sci-fi comics and novels, miniatures, and order most things. Tall Tales on George's St. is another good one, you gotta go into the back. And of course the Book Centre on Barronstand St, good for novels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I'd second this. They even do limited print runs for out of print stuff when requested- very useful for that harder to find stuff.......

Note: I always have visions of the "grassy knoll" when thinking of this company...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

One that hasn't been mentioned in Dublin is SubCity in Exchequer Street. Haven't been in it as always closed when I'm down that way (though it may have something to do with the fact I'd normally be standing outside Central Hotel having a smoke at 9pm on a Friday ;)). Keep meaning to call in during regular hours.

Here's an article I found that mentions it as well as a few others (not sure how old it is).

Second Hand Books

....Dandelion Books in Aungier Street is arguably the shop with the largest selection of second-hand SF&F books in Ireland.....

Ger's Books is in the George's Street Arcade, sometimes also referred to as the South City Market. As you enter the market from George's Street (having just departed from Dandelion Books), you go in to the left, behind the row of stalls in the middle, and, just past the shop selling the Nepalese fisherman's pants, you will find Ger's Books, and its diminutive and charming proprietor, Geraldine O'Boyle. Ger certainly gets my vote for 'best ratio of quality-of-stock to shelf-space', meaning that, despite having a much smaller amount of space that other shops, she still has as much superb stock as if she has a shop three times the size. Ger's has a small but excellent SF&F section, as well as much else to recommend it.

If you walk through to the end of the arcade, and go left and then right, you'll find yourself on Exchequer Street. This turns into Wicklow Street, where the eagle-eyed will find The Secret Book & Record Shop at the end of a corridor leading from the street. This is owned by Dermot Carroll. Dermot keeps great books on his shelves, and fairly recently bought a large SF collection, a lot of which is still there to be found.....

Comic Shops

....SubCity in Exchequer Street is probably my favourite, though mostly because I spend far too much time in there talking to the urbane and erudite Richie Lawlor, who runs the place in conjunction with co-owner Robert Curley. A very good selection of graphic novels is building up in the shop, along with an excellent choice of regular comics. I usually buy my regular stuff here, before I head elsewhere.....

.....The newcomer in the comic business is The 3rd Place on Crow Street, whose name was chosen not just because of Sony, but also to reflect that it represented an alternative to the two established shops. In a way it's too early to say what they're going to end up doing, but they carry a small amount of regular comics, along with an also small, but extremely comprehensive selection of graphic novels, which occasionally has stock not to be found in either of the other two shops.

If you go down to the end of Crow Street, you'll find a shop called Crow Corner. This is actually three small enterprises in one, with Liam Webster's second-hand comic stall tucked away in the corner. Liam has a very broad range of back issue comics, as well as some excellent old graphic novels. I'm always plaguing him for stuff, and, to his credit, he regularly turns up with the goods. Well worth a visit, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭tro81

there will be a fair city center. may have what you want, its free admission. if you want more details just say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

tro81 wrote: »
    there will be a fair city center. may have what you want, its free admission. if you want more details just say

Yes, please may we have more details.

• Advertisement

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pTEpNKMAmIu3_K1DQxW44D73RL_QB6hNXPCqu2sz7EV1gx4bpKMgxdHR6PEryu-BsnQJtNMBaYDOtKJtYJmuGFA/comicmartA3.jpg?psid=1

The event is on Saturday May 21st from 10am-6pm in Wynn's Hotel, Dublin. Free Admission.
    Ireland's top dealers of Comics, Graphic Novels, Toys, Artwork, T-Shirts etc. will be there. Prize giveaways every hour on the hour. Have your photo taken with the caped crusader, Batman. The writer and artist of Ireland's top selling Independant comic, The League of Volunteers, Robert Curley and Barry Keegan will be signing and sketching for fans along with other creators from the Irish small press scene.

ok the new date added is the 15th of October 2011. Same place and time
    If anyone want a regular update of Fair ect the please contact me and ill direct you to my facebook page on TOY FAIRS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭davearthurs

Anyone know if Liam Webster has a new shop yet for Crow Corner Comics?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hatgirl

Anyone know if Liam Webster has a new shop yet for Crow Corner Comics?

In the gift shop at The Wax Museum. Really. No, I have no idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

smccarrick wrote: »
    Apart from Forbidden Planet and Murder Ink- where else can you buy semi-decent squiffy in Dublin?
    I love the quarterly anthalogies of short stories- along the lines of "You bet your planet" and others- but inevitably end up having to get these online (mostly from the states). Was in London at the weekend and am so jealous of their bookshops over there- its just not fair. We're really not properly catered for here.......
    I'd also like to know where to buy contemporary Manga/Hentai- even run of the mill stuff like Luftwaffe 1946 is next to impossible to get here.

Maybe people might like to list any of their more favourite hunting grounds for sci-fi related material here. If we get a decent list going- Sean might sticky it?
    Whatever happened Liam? I useta go to his shop, but now its closed. And i lost his number. I have to sell him loada stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

Liam apparently left the country, according to the fella who ran toy stall in Crow St. the landlord forced him out. They've lost contact. I miss Liam.

Advertisement