Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

I've always ordered from Bulk Powder (who incidentally have rebranded to just Bulk now, and packaging is different). They come from the UK so I guess I would be hit for VAT and/or Customs after next week.

Are there any comparably priced Irish sellers recommended? I'm thinking along the lines of the same prices as the likes of Bulk when they have 50% off sales (which is every week pretty much).

I have been ordering supplements from Bulk too. I usually receive periodic notifications with a discount code so I was biding my time for a discount before reordering. But I’m still waiting. I never thought about Brexit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The pandemic is biting hard. I purchased a bag of resistance bands to do circuits at home.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Brian? wrote: »
    The pandemic is biting hard. I purchased a bag of resistance bands to do circuits at home.

I got some in the last lockdown too.

The only resistance they've seen so far is my own resistance to using them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I have a red, purple, green and orange band.

Pulling the trigger on the black 100mm one now for RDLs. That said, a couple of times using the orange 83mm one, I thought I was going to launch myself in the air when I was standing on it doing RDLs.

4sol09.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

So my adjustable lever belt buckle is en route. Looking forward to pimping my belt

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    So my adjustable lever belt buckle is en route. Looking forward to pimping my belt

Dtp being interviewed about his lockdown training purchases...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dtp being interviewed about his lockdown training purchases...

Hahahaha I probably would’ve reached that figure if parcel motel didn’t shut down

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Started a new program last week. Which called for deadlift on friday, and squats yesterday (sunday).
    First time deadlifting or squatting since end of March 2019. Due to knee injury and subsequent surgery.
    I did train legs, but mostly machine/rehab stuff.

Week 1 of program is 5 sets of 10 @60%;. Full of regret doms right now.

Brings back a memory...being given a new program with 5x12 on squats at 62 5%.

"62.5?", says I.
    "Grand so....easing in", says I.

Hadn't done multiple sets with of more than 8 in 18+ months.

Was not grand.

There was lots of sadness, thousand yard stares and contemplation or the wrong turns I may have taken in life.

Brings back a memory...being given a new program with 5x12 on squats at 62 5%.

"62.5?", says I.
    "Grand so....easing in", says I.

Hadn't done multiple sets with of more than 8 in 18+ months.

Was not grand.

There was lots of sadness, thousand yard stares and contemplation or the wrong turns I may have taken in life.

So 60% was an ok jumping point on first day back. RPE was 6-8 across the sets I'd say.
    This week its ramps up to 3 x 10 @ 67.5%
    Then 10+ at 75% :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    So 60% was an ok jumping point on first day back. RPE was 6-8 across the sets I'd say.
    This week its ramps up to 3 x 10 @ 67.5%
    Then 10+ at 75% :pac::pac::pac:

I can't really remember what I went to after that first day but it wasn't as bad.

Being so long away from that high volume, I really had no appreciation what it would be like.

It's always the same after a session like that...being braced mentally is half the battle. They're also the sessions I'll always remember :pac:

I was supposed to kick off week two today. But was feeling the mental side as you mentioned. But letting it slide throws out my whole week.

220kg for a set of 20....

His PR is 321kg. Think he's in the low-to-mid 90s weight-wise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Jessica Buettner posted a mock meet on her IG story. 215/100/242.5 not sure what bodyweight but she usually competes at 72kg. Sounds like she wasn't fully peaked either.

Jessica Buettner posted a mock meet on her IG story. 215/100/242.5 not sure what bodyweight but she usually competes at 72kg. Sounds like she wasn't fully peaked either.

She was ~81kg (179.5 lbs) two weeks ago anyway. Even when she's bulking she looks ripped. The main thing I don't like about her :pac:

Probably would have done more of she was more conservative with the 3rd on bench and DL but mock meets are not for being conservative

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

two thing that always intrigued me among the many things that intrigue me.

The massive stimulant doses in some pre workouts that people love taking regularly. My non science brain always felt no good would come of single - guzzled down in an instant - caffeine doses of 300 -400mg (or more) not to mention the other fancy stimulants used.

Also the number of people on social media in the fitness "world" who claim anxiety/depression. It seems at odds with my experience with people in the real world. There could be many reasons for this , social media isn't a great barometer for actual life.

Anyway I found this article - slightly limited in detail - but interesting and tbh I wouldn't surprise me. Appears to link energy drinks (which I'd include pre workouts as a subset) to mental issues. Admittedly it's a bit of a confirmation bias but there you go.

https://www.psypost.org/2021/02/longitudinal-study-links-energy-drink-consumption-to-depression-anxiety-and-stress-59626
    Energy drinks are potent mixtures of ingredients like caffeine, guarana, sugar, ginseng, and aspartame. They are intended (and marketed) to improve mood, alertness and productivity—but may have long-term secondary effects that are decidedly less beneficial.

A variety of cross-sectional studies has already examined the relationship between energy drink consumption and mental health problems like anxiety, depression, and increased feelings of stress. Few to date, however, have done so longitudinally, meaning that causal relationships have been difficult to determine or demonstrate.

To remedy this, the present study looked at data from 897 individuals who have been followed from birth in the context of the previously published Raine study. Questionnaires were given at age 20 and again at age 22 regarding, among others, energy drink consumption and mood.

After controlling for parental mental health, illicit drug use, dietary patterns, family income, parental alcohol consumption and cigarette use, BMI, physical activity and other factors, the researchers found that changes in energy drink consumption were positively associated with increased stress scores and, in young adult males, depression and anxiety.

The authors have made valiant efforts to control for confounding variables, and propose several ways by which energy drink consumption may affect mod, including altering sleep behavior. The possibility of some upstream behavior or other element acting on energy drink consumption and depression and anxiety separately, however, is left largely unexplored.

General lack of energy, for example, can be caused by any number of external influences or internal factors, and could explain increased symptoms on the one hand and lead to increased energy drink consumption on the other to combat the underlying fatigue. The authors do note that the ingredients in energy drinks may exacerbate existing symptoms of anxiety, depression and stress.

The authors recommend that future studies will want to explore additional measurements, as self-reporting, especially of mental health issues, is subject to under- and/or over-reporting bias. Additionally, many of the participants lost to follow-up in the context of the (now 30-year-long) Raine study were characterized by socioeconomic disadvantage, meaning results may be skewed.

Despite their widespread consumption and, in many nations, limited regulation, the deleterious effects of energy drinks are not fully understood, something the present study, “Consumption of energy drinks is associated with depression, anxiety, and stress in young adult males: Evidence from a longitudinal cohort study”, seeks to remedy.

General lack of energy, for example, can be caused by any number of external influences or internal factors, and could explain increased symptoms on the one hand and lead to increased energy drink consumption on the other to combat the underlying fatigue. The authors do note that the ingredients in energy drinks may exacerbate existing symptoms of anxiety, depression and stress.

They did also say that the general lack of energy that may be as a result of anxiety/depression/stress is what might to (increased) consumption of energy drinks so it might simply be a response to these mental issues rather than the cause. I didn't read anything other than there is a correlation.

They did also say that the general lack of energy that may be as a result of anxiety/depression/stress is what might to (increased) consumption of energy drinks so it might simply be a response to these mental issues rather than the cause. I didn't read anything other than there is a correlation.

this is true, but it is interesting to read and note. I did say it was limited.

paw patrol wrote: »
    this is true, but it is interesting to read and note

I think the people in the 'fitness' realm who cite anxiety and depression have issues other than energy drinks.

paw patrol wrote: »
    The massive stimulant doses in some pre workouts that people love taking regularly. My non science brain always felt no good would come of single - guzzled down in an instant - caffeine doses of 300 -400mg (or more) not to mention the other fancy stimulants used.
    High dose of caffeine in a bottle and people act like it will give you a heart attack.

But stick it in a large coffee cup and nobody blinks.
    Anyway I found this article - slightly limited in detail - but interesting and tbh I wouldn't surprise me. Appears to link energy drinks (which I'd include pre workouts as a subset) to mental issues. Admittedly it's a bit of a confirmation bias but there you go.
    It also questions whether energy drinks are the cause.
    It wouldn’t be unrealistic for people who feel a little flat and sluggish to grab an every drink.

• Advertisement

I think the people in the 'fitness' realm who cite anxiety and depression have issues other than energy drinks.

ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Agree, I think there's many factors but I would say one of the biggest ones is social media. We are bombarded with people's highlights reels everyday and I honestly don't think humans are good at coping with that tbh.

DylanJM wrote: »
    Agree, I think there's many factors but I would say one of the biggest ones is social media. We are bombarded with people's highlights reels everyday and I honestly don't think humans are good at coping with that tbh.

Not least the fact that those who are putting themselves out there so much must also be putting themselves under pressure also.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I think the reason it's so common among fitness folks is that exercise is part of an effective therapy for anxiety and depression.

A few of the old mods here were people who helped treat their depression with exercise.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    I think the reason it's so common among fitness folks is that exercise is part of an effective therapy for anxiety and depression.

A few of the old mods here were people who helped treat their depression with exercise.

Yeah, I mean there isn't one reason for it. There are plenty who got into it as a means to help with depression etc. And some of those people will be 'fitspos' (a little piece of me just died....but you know what I mean). But there are those who went into it to be influencers and who have found it comes with a pressure to stay in great shape bit also hashtag live their best life.

And there will be a host of other reasons.

But I don't think it's due to energy drinks, for the most part.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Could it also be a correlation with something going on in youth culture in general...?

My impression that it is more common for young people to say they have anxiety or depression, without necessarily having got a diagnosis. It seems like there's been a lot published in the media about increased requests for welfare, supports and so on, and surveys show young people saying they are really quite unhappy with their lives (I mean even before the pandemic!).

I think some of that is down to there being less of a stigma about talking about mental health, and there are people who difficulties who come forward now who wouldn't in the past.

But I can't help but also feel that there is a bit of a cultural moment happening where people have probably gone too far the other way, and are a bit too quick in talking about their anxiety (In particular, maybe moreso than depression which can still have a heavy stigma hanging over it). I feel like there is a bit of a claim being laid to the whole issue of mental health by people who are not actually dysfunctional in any way, they're literally just unhappy.

A lot of what people frame as being 'unwell' is, imo, sometimes someone who is upset due to a serious life event that they might be well within their rights to be annoyed about for weeks / months. Or their life is a mess for multiple reasons, causing legitimate distress and alarm. I just think it's a shame that we've got to a point where everyone is under pressure to 'get help', 'see your GP' etc. Sometimes being sad is as important a part of life as being happy. I wonder if there is a younger generation who have mistakenly be led to believe that they should always feel great and in particular always feel great about themselves...

In the case of influencers and social media I am even more sceptical about the bona fides. I suspect it's just promoting an image. Almost like fitness influencing being their main gig, with a side-hustle in mental health awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

In the case of influencers and social media I am even more sceptical about the bona fides. I suspect it's just promoting an image. Almost like fitness influencing being their main gig, with a side-hustle in mental health awareness.

Bingo! Mental health content always goes down well and generally gets good engagement from your followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Plus, of course, it's worth considering that most social-media-influencer types, regardless of whether it's fitness-related or not, tend to fit a certain personality profile (at least as far as I can see).

And it's one that probably lends itself to higher incidences of anxiety, depression and general mental health issues than average.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Where is good for liquid chalk? My trusty bulkpowders one is nearly gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Where is good for liquid chalk? My trusty bulkpowders one is nearly gone
    I think myproteins is grand tack

Advertisement