Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

OnePlus 8/Pro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Really interested in the one plus 8 pro, Do you reckon we will see a big price drop when the inevitable one plus 9 arrives? When do you think the plus 9 will arrive?

Really interested in the one plus 8 pro, Do you reckon we will see a big price drop when the inevitable one plus 9 arrives? When do you think the plus 9 will arrive?

Rumour has it that it's likely we might see the OnePlus 9 series come out in March. They have a promotion of €100 off plus a free case at the moment but I would expect that to drop a bit further when the 9 series launches. Further rumour has the OnePlus 9 coming out at €850-900, so the 8 pro should be a bit cheaper than that but not much. Could be totally wrong on all that but I have been following all the leaks and rumours for while. I might be tempted to upgrade from my 8 pro to the 9 pro if it is a significant upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

i'll be coming from a galaxy s8 plus, so well overdue an upgrade, how have you found the 8 pro?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

No

i'll be coming from a galaxy s8 plus, so well overdue an upgrade, how have you found the 8 pro?

It's the best phone I have ever had. If the 9 pro doesn't offer something significantly better and I doubt it will, then I will happily keep this phone another year. It's certainly a big and noticable upgrade from S8 plus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I went from s9+ to 8pro and (I'll whisper it) I was smidgeon disappointed. Particularly with the camera.

It wasn't that it wasn't better, it was. It was that phone tech has plateaued, and the jumps that I was used to in Smartphone aren't there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

errlloyd wrote: »
    I went from s9+ to 8pro and (I'll whisper it) I was smidgeon disappointed. Particularly with the camera.

It wasn't that it wasn't better, it was. It was that phone tech has plateaued, and the jumps that I was used to in Smartphone aren't there anymore.

I've been tempted by Onepluses offerings in the past. Their software experience appears quite good and the hardware that is there is nice.

However, I'm tied to a headphone jack and microSD card slot for music. No I dont like spotify/etc.

I'm basically waiting for the spiritual successor to my Samsung Note 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I've been tempted by Onepluses offerings in the past. Their software experience appears quite good and the hardware that is there is nice.

However, I'm tied to a headphone jack and microSD card slot for music. No I dont like spotify/etc.

I'm basically waiting for the spiritual successor to my Samsung Note 9.

I got the 256gb version, would that do the job for you? You using Lossless WAVs or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Someone asked about the Three 5G speed on the 8 pro, here it is

Hnxs9Mq

https://ibb.co/Hnxs9Mq

• Registered Users Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

LeeroyJ. wrote: »

Hnxs9Mq

thanks very much !! I haven't been a whole lot of different places, but have yet to see it yet on my phone, even though I was in towns that were meant to be covered

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Has anyone here bought a oneplus device this year? According to their chat it bypasses the UK and comes from mainland Europe, but I don't fully trust them! Anyone confirm no additional charges and it avoids the UK completely? Stupid brexit.

5starpool wrote: »
    Has anyone here bought a oneplus device this year? According to their chat it bypasses the UK and comes from mainland Europe, but I don't fully trust them! Anyone confirm no additional charges and it avoids the UK completely? Stupid brexit.

Try going through the chat a few times and see if you get the same answer. I would be sceptical though. When I ordered last year, they wouldn't give me a VAT receipt for the phone and it came via UK. I wouldn't risk purchasing anything valuable if there was any chance of it coming through the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I remember as far back as the OnePlus 5 when I ordered one it came from Poland.

Can't speak for the Nord because I got that a different way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

interesting, then it seems Meteor is also blocking the 8 series just like Three is. on Vodafone it seems to work.

I just switched to Vodafone and said I'd upgrade to the 5g plan but there doesn't seem to be an option on the OnePlus 8 Pro to enable 5g? How did you get it to work on Vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hi all,

I have the OnePlus8 (in2013) edition phone , I received the update to 11.0.3.3 2 days ago. I'm using Virgin Media but I tried by housemates 3 sim card and he had the same issue so it seems to be an issue with the phone.

Since then I have noticed that my incoming calls are not working, I have narrowed down the issue to the preferred network .
    • When I have it set to 2G/3G/4G/5G (automatic), the person ringing me can hear the ringing but my phone has no notification at all (not even a missed call).
    • When I have it set to 2G/3G/4G/(automatic), it eventually rings on my phone but is delayed with the other person hearing it ring a few times before my phone starts ringing.
    • When I have it set to 2G/3G (automatic) it works perfectly.

So based on this, it seems to be an issue with the auto switching to 3G during a call, has anyone any advice please? I have reset network/bluetooth/wifi setting and tried to force my phone to use voLTE, neither has worked.

Has anyone any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭timetogo1

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I just switched to Vodafone and said I'd upgrade to the 5g plan but there doesn't seem to be an option on the OnePlus 8 Pro to enable 5g? How did you get it to work on Vodafone?

On mine (OnePlus 8 bought off Amazon).
    Swipe down, Settings, Wi-Fi & Network, Sim & Network

it shows 2G/3G/4G/5G (Automatic)

Very similar to the two highlighted areas shown here

https://www.dignited.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/oppo-reno-5g-settings.png

I'm not with Vodafone so I don't get 5G. The top I seem to get is 4G+, whatever that is. Goes from anything from 7Mb/s to about 190Mb/s

I'm on chat with OnePlus support now and they're telling me 5G just isn't possible on Vodafone in Ireland?

This is all very annoying. You'd assume a 5G phone with a 5G network plan... could use 5G

A Neurotic wrote: »

If you see 2G/3G/4G/5G (Automatic) it's working. Make sure to disable smart 5G or whatever it's called.

Oneplus and three Said the same thing to me but it is working since the 11.0.2 update.

If you see 2G/3G/4G/5G (Automatic) it's working. Make sure to disable smart 5G or whatever it's called.

Oneplus and three Said the same thing to me but it is working since the 11.0.2 update.

Yeah I only see up to 4G on preferred network. Been told by both OnePlus and Vodafone now that it's not possible for vague reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,093 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

1huge1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have the OnePlus8 (in2013) edition phone , I received the update to 11.0.3.3 2 days ago. I'm using Virgin Media but I tried by housemates 3 sim card and he had the same issue so it seems to be an issue with the phone.

Since then I have noticed that my incoming calls are not working, I have narrowed down the issue to the preferred network .
    • When I have it set to 2G/3G/4G/5G (automatic), the person ringing me can hear the ringing but my phone has no notification at all (not even a missed call).
    • When I have it set to 2G/3G/4G/(automatic), it eventually rings on my phone but is delayed with the other person hearing it ring a few times before my phone starts ringing.
    • When I have it set to 2G/3G (automatic) it works perfectly.

So based on this, it seems to be an issue with the auto switching to 3G during a call, has anyone any advice please? I have reset network/bluetooth/wifi setting and tried to force my phone to use voLTE, neither has worked.

Has anyone any advice?

Does your plan or your mates have 5G, I've all the 5G setting on my 8T but I know my plan doesn't have 5G access. I need to change plan to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I've an Eir 5G plan and 8T and I can't get 5G for the same sort of vague reasons from OP and Eir

• Registered Users Posts: 34 trigger78

Hnxs9Mq

Hi probably stupid question but are you getting 5g one the oneplus 8 pro? I've bought one and can't get it at all. Three said this

• Registered Users Posts: 34 trigger78

This can't be right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

trigger78 wrote: »
    This can't be right

I bought a oneplus 8 last july in anticipation of 3 going live, had similar problems as you're having, in fairness to Three, oneplus seem to be a bit hit and miss with networks.

On the other hand, I bought a Xiaomi Mi 10t 5G in Dec. It worked out of the box on Three 5G.

trigger78 wrote: »
    Hi probably stupid question but are you getting 5g one the oneplus 8 pro? I've bought one and can't get it at all. Three said this

I am, since the 11.0.3.3 update no problems. Don't have 5g where i live but I do when I go closer to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Just took a punt on the 8 pro from eglobal. Got a discount code and came in at 660 for the 12/256 version. Its the Chinese rom but flashed to European rom which im cool with.

To my shock, i ordered Friday and its been dispatched and un transit with GLS already!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

Does Oneplus 5G work on Vodafone Ireland? I only ask as the last post about Vodafone is from a couple of months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Been running a OnePlus 6 the last couple years and I'd normally upgrade pretty regularly but it was birthday last week and I got a surprise of a OnePlus 8T and I'm absolutely chuffed with it.

Question for you all in regards to watching movies on it. It seems Netflix will play full screen and overlay on the punch hole camera while the likes of Plex/Prime avoid it and go right up to it. Any advice on running them full screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Been running a OnePlus 6 the last couple years and I'd normally upgrade pretty regularly but it was birthday last week and I got a surprise of a OnePlus 8T and I'm absolutely chuffed with it.

Question for you all in regards to watching movies on it. It seems Netflix will play full screen and overlay on the punch hole camera while the likes of Plex/Prime avoid it and go right up to it. Any advice on running them full screen?

Try Settings / Display / Advanced.

There are 2 settings in there:

Front Camera Display Area, and

Apps to Display in Full Screen.

Add Plex & Prime to the apps in the 'Apps to Display in Full Screen' settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

dilallio wrote: »
    Try Settings / Display / Advanced.

There are 2 settings in there:

Front Camera Display Area, and

Apps to Display in Full Screen.

Add Plex & Prime to the apps in the 'Apps to Display in Full Screen' settings.

Thanks for the response but no luck with any of that.

Advertisement