Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Philip Pullman's Book of Dust is now a trilogy and release date of 19/10/17

• 15-02-2017 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭

FINALLY!!!!! I've been waiting and checking in on this for years.

Looks like it's a full trilogy of actual novels now as opposed to a collection of short stories about the characters in HDM trilogy. (Lyra's Oxford and Once Upon a time in the North were originally supposed to be from Book of Dust and will probably be in there still in some form or other).

Will be interesting to see.
    I mean Lyra and Will's story together is complete. Pullman always insisted that that that will never change and that changing it would gut their story and I agree. (Although I do love the Lantern Slides expanding on these)

Plus, looks like he's not gonna pull a GRR Martin: Books 1 & 2 are complete and he is working on book 3 so I bet it will be a book a year.

[LINK]
    Philip Pullman has ended years of speculation by announcing that The Book of Dust, an epic fantasy trilogy that will stand alongside his bestselling series, His Dark Materials, will be published in October around the world.

The as-yet-untitled first volume of The Book of Dust, due out on 19 October, will be set in London and Oxford, with the action running parallel to the His Dark Materials trilogy........

Pullman’s brave and outspoken heroine, Lyra Belacqua, will return in the first two volumes. Featuring two periods of her life – as a baby and 10 years after His Dark Materials ended – the series will include other characters familiar to existing readers, as well as creations such as alethiometers (a clock-like truth-telling device), daemons (animals that are physical manifestations of the human spirit) and the Magisterium, the church-like totalitarian authority that rules Lyra’s world...........

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I am officially excited. Had no idea this was in in the pipeline.

On most given days, HDM is my favourite book/series. I have a signed copy at home.

Not sure if I'd prefer not to revisit existing characters and instead just use the "universe" (HDMU!) for a new trilogy. That said, the Lord Asriel/Mrs Coulter backstory is probably worth telling.

Regarding the role of the Magisterium, I can only imagine Pullman has got older and even more cynical and the 'church' is going to be a serious bad guy. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think I read the first one years ago (as a teen) and wasn't grabbed by it so never carried on.

I know people swear by them, so going to dig them out and try again in light of the new trilogy coming. I'm looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

keane2097 wrote: »
    I think I read the first one years ago (as a teen) and wasn't grabbed by it so never carried on.

I know people swear by them, so going to dig them out and try again in light of the new trilogy coming. I'm looking forward to it!

The first one really only introduces the characters, and not even all the characters (The 2nd most important character is not introduced). And you don't really get an impression of the bigger picture. Definitely worth sticking with them.

Agreed. The first book reads like intelligent, young adult fiction.

But parts two and three bring a whole other level of complexity and depth. And I've never had a conclusion to a book/series as moving as with HDM.

Lovely signed limited edition available for preorder [HERE]

00102141-500x272.jpeg

00102142-500x498.jpeg

• Advertisement

Now sold out

Got my copy on Kindle as well as the physical copy (In the post Office today). Started reading it last week but trying not to rush through it.

So far so (very) good. Same beautiful writing and descriptions. Loving it so far. It does overlap with Lyra's story (No spoiler there, it's in the book description) and there has already (re)introduced characters from the previous books. But well done. Not like "Lee Scroresby? What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be with Iorek? Oh there he is......." :)

Interestingly enough, it does hint more directly
    on the timeline. I always imagined Lyra's time as being a Victorian version of about mid-late 20th century and this does seem to be the case.

In short: Worth the wait

Got it on Saturday for the Kindle.

Started again last night - it's great to be back in that world. :)

Also, they had some (unsigned) copied of that limited edition in my local bookshop.

EDIT - actually maybe just something similar to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Have been holding out as I told the missus I wanted it for christmas. Not long to wait now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Another kindle book for my xmas reading list!! This is exciting!

• Advertisement

My Spoiler-free review:

Very good introduction to the new trilogy. Not perfect but very good:

The writing is just as great as ever: Descriptive without being too verbose. I always liked that about Pullman. He knows how to describe a scene without going all Tolkien/George RR Martin on it.

The characters are well written and engaging. There was maybe a slight bit of trying to match characters to the previous books: Oh they're like him and he's like her etc... But still great characters.

The main adversary is quite disturbing: His own actions and state of mind are quite disturbing (Trying not to spoil it. Will become clear if you read it)

It does go a little bit more into fantasy creatures than I was expecting but I suppose in the original trilogy you have witches, spectres, armoured bears, Galivespians, ghosts, angels etc.

It is a little episodic in nature, especially the 2nd half. However this is also very true of Northern Lights: If I had one criticism of Northern Lights it is that it introduced many characters very quickly. However this is obviously by design: In the bigger picture of the three books it will work out.

Just FYI: There was a little bit of swearing that seemed a little out of place and off putting. Just in case you have an issue with swearing. God knows I'm not a prude (Especially when it comes to swearing) but it did stick out a little.

Overall, a VERY good start to the new trilogy with similar strengths and...... "weaknesses" to Northern Lights.

They say that Books 1 & 2 are completed and ready to go and that Book 3 is almost there. HOPEFULLY they plan on releasing them on a yearly basis. If so, roll on next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I meant to buy a while back, then kind of forgot.
    Just went to buy it on Amazon, and I know it's ridiculous but I'm seriously put off by the cover/artwork (can't add picture at the moment, in work).

The fancy one above looks like something I want to read, the one currently showing on Amazon looks like a dodgy kids book from the 80s (and not in a good way).
    I'll hold off for the moment in case somebody gives me it for Christmas, if not I might just go for the Kindle version.

Am I the only one put off by the look of it? Although anybody on this thread probably got in early and got themselves a pretty book :D

No, the trade cover is terrible alright. Glad I got that limited run version and hope to get the other two as they come out.

No real issue with the book cover myself. All the same on the Kindle anyway.

HDM had some dreadful covers too. Though the UK Adult edition covers I have are just perfect. I even got a print of the painting used on The Amber Spyglass.

Love these:

pullman-northern_lights_1.jpg

pullman-subtle_uka.jpg

pullman-amber_uka.jpg

Signed copy of book two (The Secret Commonwealth) on sale at Waterstones [HERE]

While I wasn't overly gone on the first book (I thought it had some moments but it was quite episodic and didn't engage me as much as I hoped) I am still really looking forward to book 2.

Set about 20 years after book 1 (and about 7 years after The Amber Spyglass).

I'm revisiting the HDM trilogy through the audiobooks. The versions narrated by Pullman himself are fantastic. They use actors for all the characters and it almost sounds like a radio play even though it matches the novels word for word.

I really enjoyed the first Book of Dust, although I found it slow to get moving.

No idea the second book was jumping forward in time. Wow. Will be dropping everything to read Volume II.

Anyone watching His Dark Materials on BBC?

Really enjoyed the first two episodes. The casting is spot on.
    Only thing that slightly put me off is the technology in Lyra's world. It's less steampunk and more a mix of early 20th century than I had envisaged.

It's also quite dark in tone, and looks like getting darker. My 11 yr old is cool with it, but I think my nine yr old is now out!

Overall they've done a super job, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kensaon

I love this show! I think it has a nice Victorian/Steampunk feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'm not sure why they decided to have the witches fly as opposed to ride brooms, seemed rather unnecessary.

Advertisement