Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I would imagine the poles etc might come under some of these

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=bag&quest=prohibiteditems

..so if you're not bringing them onboard, you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Ya I figured that too so I'm gonna stick them in my main bag goin under the plane.

I don't think they can complain as it's basically just a bag of cloth n stuff. Just thought I'd check cause it's not the usual thing you do and airport security is so f**ked up these days. Looks like I'm gonna have to risk it anyway though cause my other bag is full :)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Probably too late but I brought a tent to a festival in Germany recently and Ryanair refused to allow me carry it on as hand luggage and wanted to charge €30 for 'oversize sports equipment'!!! So beware.. my tent (3 man size of sleeping bag..) was only worth 40!! so I'd say take clothes on with you as hand luggage and leave tent in check-in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I saw a few people getting on the flight back from Bristol earlier this week carrying tents on with them. Just don't try and get on with the pegs, although you might get away with the potatoe tent pegs.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Just thought I'd say how I got on in case someone else needs to do it.

Got on no problem. If you're doing it though make sure you put the pegs in your checkin luggage as one of my friends forgot and they took them off her.

Flew from Dublin airport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

What I'd usually do is just buy a tent in Germany for 20 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Just thought I'd post here to see what the story is with this. I live in London and fly home to Ireland fairly regularly, as well as other destinations. I took about 20 flights in 2009, over half of them with Aer Lingus and never had a problem in any way. I was due to fly into Dublin a few days before Christmas, with my usual hand luggage of a small wheelie suitcase and small handbag. The suitcase wouldn't be tiny, but meets Aer Lingus' regulations and fits easily into their 'hand baggage size checker' thing they have in the airport.

While I was waiting to board, they made an announcement that as the flight was full, only one piece of hand baggage per person would be allowed. I wasn't worried, as as far as I was concerned, and as their own rules state, the handbag a) didn't count as hand luggage and b) was small enough to put inside the suitcase if needs be. So I was very shocked and annoyed to reach the desk and be told that my suitcase had to be checked into the hold. I asked why and they said because there wasn't room, and that if I tried to board the plane with it, the air hostesses would refuse it. The attitude of this woman was extremely hostile and overly rude, given that I was being completely calm and polite. She basically threatened me that if I didn't co-operate, the suitcase would be taken off me in the plane and go into the hold untagged. I was pretty upset, as I was feeling very unwell, and because the suitcase contained a lot of valuables which I would never have packed if I'd known I'd have to check the bag in. Jewellery, presents, loaned books, and medication which didn't fit into my handbag. Several passengers around me tried to defend me, one even bravely showing the AL employee that his bag was the same size as mine and she hadn't told him to check it in, but the employee would not change her mind. I very unhappily handed the suitcase over, and several women said 'I can't believe she did that' or 'that's so unfair'.

I understand that the flight was full, but that wasn't my fault. Surely they should assume all flights are going to be full when they make their hand baggage rules. I wasn't taking the p*ss or bringing loads of items, I had totally complied with their rules. I was very uncomfortable with having to check in this bag which I had thought I'd have with me, and I saw people getting onto the plane with much bigger bags. My boyfriend told me they had no right to take the suitcase, and that I should have refused to hand it over. I didn't feel like I had an option - this woman was a nasty b*tch and I'm sure would have offloaded me for not co-operating. I assume Aer Lingus do have a rule to cover them in these cases, something about passenger safety or operational reasons or something? I am extremely unimpressed with the shockingly hostile behaviour of this employee (unfortunately didn't get her name) but I gather that they can decide not to take hand baggage for this reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Enigma'

It's unfortunate what happened, but there's always problems on the Ireland-London routes with hand luggage. People tend to avoid checking in luggage and will try and bring all their stuff on board with them. The Aer Lingus short-haul cabins are fitted with a high density layout and there simply isn't enough room in the overhead lockers for everyones luggage if the flight is full. Therefore there's no other option but to place some of the hand luggage in the hold.

Just one other point, Aer Lingus don't have any ground staff based in London anymore, it's all third party agents that handle the flights. So it's not an Aer Lingus employee that confronted you at the gate. There's certainly no excuse for the way you were treated though. It's up to the discretion of the gate agent(s) which bags are or are not allowed on board though, so I see little point in taking this any further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

When I check in I say I don't have any handluggage, (give it to a friend) they go to boarding with it. They will make you checkin anything over 6 kgs.

Its the only thing that Ryanair is good at. They allow a generous 12kg handluggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I had a similar incident happen to me with Aer Lingus at Brussels airport about a year ago. I was one of the first passengers on the plane, so it wasn't as if the overhead bins were already full. It was a slender over night suitcase and I had my handbag as well. It was really grating to see passengers get on after me with ridiculously-sized bags.

I presume that they decided to take bags off the early boarding passengers and I was just unfortunate to be chosen. Like you, there was a very aggressive attitude (probably adopted to protect her from angry passengers).

What really gets my goat in things like this is how people stow their luggage overhead. Peolple just throw in bags without attempting to get the best arrangement. Coats should be laid on top and women's handbags and other small bags should go underneath seats. But the majority of people just don't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

This is why you should fly Ryanair (although they wouldn't allow your small handbag as it would have been counted as a second bag). People think that Ryanair are being Anal by enforcing their one bag and size rule but in fact it ensures fairness so that people are pretty much guaranteed to have space for their bag.

There is nothing you can do here. Fact is that there would not have been enough space for all the hand luggage that people were bringing on. It has happened to me before on Aerlingus and it meant that a cabin crew member had to take the bag off of me in the airplane and get it put in the hold untagged. The bag is then removed when you land and left at the bottom of the stairs to be picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I had checked in online, so went straight through security. It was at the boarding gate that she took away my suitcase.

Enigma', that was what I thought but I'm surprised they can just decide to put some peoples' luggage in the hold with no notice. It's really unnerving to think you'll have stuff with you on the flight (as I said, I had medication in there) and then suddenly it's taken away and at risk or being broken or lost. As you said, if this is a policy of theirs, I don't think there's anything I can do about it now but it's really bad form. If they really do have such a problem on this route, they should advertise that luggage may be checked in, or allow less baggage than for other routes.

dudara - I was also one of the first to board. I had booked seats at the front of the plane and got there hours early, so it was especially annoying to see the latecomers getting on with full size backpacks and people putting coats and scarves up in the bins. Surely if space is so tight, everything that can go under the seat in front/on your lap should go there, and the flight attendants should enforce this. I could have easily fit my suitcase in the space above my seat taken up by about 4 coats.

About Ryanair, I agree. At least they're fair and everyone ends up in the same boat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Hey folks, travelling from Cork to London Heathrow tomorrow (return) - this is Aer Lingus's policy on carry-on
    ei_bagdims.gif

(The maximum dimensions for a cabin bag are: 55cm x 40cm x 20cm or 22in x 16in x 8in.)

I was thinking of bringing this Jansports bag:
    tn89_008_b.jpg
    51cm h x 34cm w x 25cm d

So it appears to be out in terms of depth by 5cms - are they uber strict in anyone's experience? Or is it as I suspect, no problem on way out but maybe on way back in? What's the penalty if it exceeds?
    Thanks
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Flew Dublin-Salzburg-Dublin this month - they didn't check hand luggage at either airport. Loads had more than 1 bag and plenty were oversized.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Aer Lingus only tend to check when the flight is quite full. Otherwise, as long as the luggage is reasonable, they don't tend to bother. It also helps if you are a Gold Circle member with the luggage tag on display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

if you dont overstuff it it should be ok - they tend to zone in on very obviously overstuffed hand luggage thse days (you know - bulging zippers that kind of thing)
    ive seen many a CRAZY sized luggage as hand luggage - they do check more than they used to. they often look at the bag at check in. ask me if the bag beside me is my hand kuggage or that. ive seen them ask people to stick their bag in the size tray thing if they seem to think it looks too big. but it seems to be hit n miss.
    i had a bag the right size and at dublin they didnt say anything. but flying BACK they did - the bag didnt fit the aer arann size tray (aer arann operating via aer lingus) so its possible youd be ok going out but not coming back.
    still - such a tiny size discrepancy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Hi all. Travelling to paris this week with wife and 5 year old son. Does this mean we all have cabin baggage allowance or is it just myself and wife?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

All three of you have an allowance - but you're not allowed combine allowances, so your 5-year-old has (be able) to carry his own baggage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Not entirely accurate. He is entitled to the normal allowance for cabin baggage but your child doesn't have to carry his own bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭missmoo

+1 to the above, there's absolutely nothing stopping a parent from carrying a childs bag on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

Hi all just a quick question on Prescription drugs.I'm travelling with Ryanair and only taking hand luggage.Can I just bring my tablets or do I need a doctors letter and prescription with me..Thanks boardsies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

If they're not liquid there's no concern, FR don't care what you have inside your luggage once it's 10kg or under and your case fits into the sizer. It's DAA security who care what's in your bag. So prescription tablets are no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

No problem at all travelling with prescription drugs, even liquid ones. If you have liquid medication or syringes just say to security before your bag goes through X-ray and they are more than helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Layinghen wrote: »
    No problem at all travelling with prescription drugs, even liquid ones. If you have liquid medication or syringes just say to security before your bag goes through X-ray and they are more than helpful.

This may be the case, but generally as a rule you should have something in writing from a doctor to confirm this. I mean, you could be a suicide bomber posing as someone who needs liquid medications and syringes! so general tablets for blood pressure, heart problems, pain management etc should be fine, but things like syringes or liquids would be better with a letter from your doctor or pharmacist at least.

Also, it is good practice to keep your medications in their original packaging, and make sure they have your name clearly printed on them.

and finally, bear in mind, you might get through Dublin with no problems, but on arrival a foreign customs official may take issue if they stop you for a spot check. So again, a letter from your doctor would be very helpful should that be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Any medication would have the pharmacists label on them with dosage instructions and name of patient i.e. me. Must say I was surprised first time I travelled by air with all my paraphernalia with the very kind and calm manner security dealt with me. I had letters from everyone and print outs explaining why I needed to carry all the medication, they just said it was fine and let me through. Ever since then I am far more relaxed about it, I must look harmless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Yeah I agree, they are very relaxed about it in Dublin, but I still think its worth having the paperwork just in case. My experience is that I was fine leaving Ireland but when returning home they asked for the letters etc at the other end. My sister also has to carry medication, which has to be kept refridgerated and she has a special 'passport' she needs for it. Again DAA staff were very non-plussed by her arriving up with it, but when she arrived at her destination she was passing through customs and they picked her for a spot check. They were very interested in her medication and examined her paperwork for it very thoroughly. For for those reasons I think it is always better to be safe than sorry.

And yes you are right, your meds will have your name etc on the box, but a lot of people just take whatever dose they need for their trip so might take some out of the box so then there is nothing on it to say it is their medication. So if you only want to take half a pack, take the excess out and bring the box rather than leave the box behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

I recently flew with Ryanair. I checked in online as with them you have to and decided to pay the extra to check in a bag. It said it was €40 for a 15kg bag or €50 for a 20kg bag. I paid the €50 for a 20kg bag.

I got over there with it no problem but when I went to come back they told me in the airport there that I had not paid for my bag. I told them I did, that I had paid online and they said that I had only paid one-way.

Now when I was checking in online, I only saw the one option to check in a bag which gave the cost of €40 or €50 and I paid it. I saw nothing about this being one-way or anywhere else that I would have had the option to check in the bag for the way back. Naturally I assumed this meant it was both ways, as who would bring a 20kg bag with them on holidays and not bring it back?!

I had to pay €140 in charges to get my bag home, it was an absolute joke! And I had no option but to pay it. The woman at the counter over there was extrememly unhelpful and had poor English.

It total I paid €190 just to bring a bag on holidays! I swore after a bad experience with Ryanair last time I would never fly with them again but I can certainly say after this that I will never go near them again.

• Site Banned Posts: 257 ✭✭Driveby Dogboy

Only bring carry-on luggage if flying Ryanair, usen't be too bad, but its a joke now

always read the small print, terms and conditions apply, the value of your investment may go down aswell as up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    I recently flew with Ryanair. I checked in online as with them you have to and decided to pay the extra to check in a bag. It said it was €40 for a 15kg bag or €50 for a 20kg bag. I paid the €50 for a 20kg bag.

I got over there with it no problem but when I went to come back they told me in the airport there that I had not paid for my bag. I told them I did, that I had paid online and they said that I had only paid one-way.

Now when I was checking in online, I only saw the one option to check in a bag which gave the cost of €40 or €50 and I paid it. I saw nothing about this being one-way or anywhere else that I would have had the option to check in the bag for the way back. Naturally I assumed this meant it was both ways, as who would bring a 20kg bag with them on holidays and not bring it back?!

I had to pay €140 in charges to get my bag home, it was an absolute joke! And I had no option but to pay it. The woman at the counter over there was extrememly unhelpful and had poor English.

It total I paid €190 just to bring a bag on holidays! I swore after a bad experience with Ryanair last time I would never fly with them again but I can certainly say after this that I will never go near them again.
    I'll bet it was still cheaper than going with a travel agent tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Your check in printout should have on it that a 20kg bag was included and this should be on both legs, it's not possible to add a bag for one leg only on a return flight, was this displayed on it?

Advertisement