Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Still no memory of any details then? There's charities that offer their support if you want? I can post their numbers if you want to give them a call.

Details of what?

I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you confusing me with someone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Monokne wrote: »
    Details of what?

I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you confusing me with someone else?

Tired and emotional I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Pretend to be English? For watching a football match??? :D:D:D Alright you’ve clearly had a few shandies tonight. I’d say you’ll be fairly sheepish in the morning. Anyway, don’t worry about it.

Still no memory of any details then? There's charities that offer their support if you want? I can post their numbers if you want to give them a call?

Details of what?

See edit

Still no memory of any details then? There's charities that offer their support if you want? I can post their numbers if you want to give them a call?

You might want to give them a call yourself, pal, judging by your recent history in this discussion. Go to bed.

• Advertisement

Not the highest quality league though is it?

AHAHAHAHAH you removed what you actually wrote! But not until after I'd replied. Go to bed mate.

And I said "ARGUABLY" the highest quality league so pipe down. It's top 3.

See edit

HAHAHAHAAHHAHAAH

AHAHAHA :D

Keep going ;)

You might want to give them a call yourself, pal, judging by your recent history in this discussion. Go to bed.

Yeah in fairness to you can't expect you to remember something as trivial as who was playing where since it was over a decade ago. You must have ptsd from the "twisted faces" you poor thing.

Tired and emotional I suspect.

Value for money all the same. Have to respect a man going down swinging :D

AHAHAHAHAH you removed what you actually wrote! But not until after I'd replied. Go to bed mate.

And I said "ARGUABLY" the highest quality league so pipe down. It's top 3.

I didn't remove it I moved it to the correct post.

And its not arguably at all, its nowhere near Spain

• Advertisement

old.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Lads the league of Ireland isn’t even a sport, it’s just like darts except it’s outdoors and the players are less fat

Value for money all the same. Have to respect a man going down swinging :D

:D:D:D

His head is gonna be sore in the morning! Not least from it being shoved up his arse all evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

I used to support English teams to confuse the English. Doesn't seem to be any need anymore so I've taken up Mandarin instead.

:D:D:D

His head is gonna be sore in the morning! Not least from it being shoved up his arse all evening.

Surprised yours isn't sore racking it for such minor details that are over a decade old

Surprised yours isn't sore racking it for such minor details that are over a decade old

I haven’t spent a second trying to remember it, not one second. It is unimportant information I have forgotten and I won’t waste a single moment trying to recall it. And it doesn’t really matter which match it was anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'm a huge Manchester United fan and started following them when they won the treble in I think it was 2000. I've gone over for a few games and always love it. Though it can cost a fortune when I visit the megastore at OT.

Been to a few LOI games but the standard is pretty poor and the grounds are awful. So I'm going to stick with supporting United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The last ten or so pages have been some cesspit from the LOI crew. Hardly encourage anyone to go to a game with the way they go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

TLDR:
    "One of the best things about being Irish is you get to pretend to be English for 90 minutes a week, sometimes even 180 or 270"

It's not pretending to be English, it's not been afraid to admit that there's some things the English do better, just like the way America do films and tv shows better than us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Bit of rebellion too. Lot of Arsenal fans who's Dads were United fans and so on.
    But they still remain within the same sport.

Absolutely rebellion, but it has nothing to do with who the dad supports. The Arsenal fans are fans because the team was winning when they got into football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,247 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The last ten or so pages have been some cesspit from the LOI crew. Hardly encourage anyone to go to a game with the way they go on.

No surprise there. Some of them seem incredibly bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

RoboKlopp wrote: »

I honestly used to resent people following English teams over our own. I'll admit that.

Nowadays, I couldn't give a toss. I feel it's their loss. I wholeheartedly believe that people are missing out by not going to live football regularly. I mean that. Seeing a last minute winner in person and being mobbed by all and sundry around you is something that absolutely cannot be replicated through a TV screen. It just can't be. You see and feel things differently when you're there in person. Again, as the GAA have clevely marketed, nothing beats being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

RoboKlopp wrote: »

The typical welcome to a LOI game for a first timer from a LOI fan is

"What the fcuk are you doing here now, where we're you all your life, go back to following Utd"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

"What the fcuk are you doing here now, where we're you all your life, go back to following Utd"

That's a real Irish trait actually. If you weren't in on something from birth then all you'll be is sneered at. It's not just a LOI thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I support Celtic, no idea why, have done as long as I can remember. Its much easier to watch Celtic play than it is any LOI team on TV. I don't go to Scotland much, three or four times in my life.

Went to two limerick games over the last few years, some of the fans made me an my kid uncomfortable last time so won't be going back!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

No it's not. Stop lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭howiya

Omackeral wrote: »
    I honestly used to resent people following English teams over our own. I'll admit that.

Nowadays, I couldn't give a toss. I feel it's their loss. I wholeheartedly believe that people are missing out by not going to live football regularly. I mean that. Seeing a last minute winner in person and being mobbed by all and sundry around you is something that absolutely cannot be replicated through a TV screen. It just can't be. You see and feel things differently when you're there in person. Again, as the GAA have clevely marketed, nothing beats being there.

You're last sentence hits the nail on the head and it doesn't just apply to the GAA. Look at the success of rugby since the move to professionalism. The success of the English league globally is also down to marketing. Yet it's something the clubs don't really engage in here because they've no money.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Is that before or after you're stamped with the branding iron?

The reality of course is that nobody would even know it's your first time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,362 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I don't think it takes a genius to work it out. Some of us grew up in the back arse of nowhere and would never have even heard of LOI as kids. The only football we saw was the World Cup and the FA Cup and English league on tv. It was a natural progression to start following these teams. I've no interest in LOI and couldn't care less what the high and mighty LOI fans think of me following an English team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

support Liverpool, always have as my older brothers do too. It is far more exciting to do so, going to a game in a decent ground is nice with all the facilities on offer, as said it is a happy experience. I was also a regular to Dalymount for many a year, i miss the old Dalymount, many a happy memory standing on the terraces in the 80's and 90's, days when there were less than 1000 at the games, i still loved it. I lost interest after the Jodi stand was built and the wanba be hooligan element started getting bigger there also a good if not best friend died, i just couldn't get used to going to games without him even if he was only going to 1 in 3 games. Great days that i cherish deep within me. However i do intend to bring my 3 children to the games when they are old enough and of course the redevelopment should be great. I would always support Bohs over LFC but obviously they are a multitude apart and will probably never meet in a competitive fixture.

Advertisement