Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Coach Experience

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Should there not at least be some sort of strict regulation on these buses? I don't want to be sitting on something that could burst into flames at any moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Should there not at least be some sort of strict regulation on these buses? I don't want to be sitting on something that could burst into flames at any moment!

A burst pipe or fuel line.

Could happen even on something new.

Most newer fleets are equipped with extinguish equipment in engine bay but may not put it out.

They don't tend to just explode as most will show signs before going up.

Shpudnik wrote: »
    2003 I believe.

Most of that model seem to be around 07 to 09.

It could well be 03 and as said well used.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

It has many were lost even when with air coach..

One Aircoach 2004 Setra went up in Leopardstown but it was repaired.

The 2003 ones left Aircoach in something like 2009, some turned up in the UK whilst others were exported to Cyprus of all places but most of them were never spotted again after Aircoach withdrew them following new deliveres.

All but one of the 2004 ones ended up with Dublin Coach, some may now be withdrawn. Not sure what happened to the other one, it's possible it ended up in the UK on a new reg or had an issue deemed beyond economical repair
    Shpudnik wrote: »
    2003 I believe.

Looks like a later generation of the Citaro than that to me by the shape of it.

The only non articulated Citaros I've seen operating for Dublin Coach in Limerick have always been 2007 or 2009. When I was there at the start of September I saw a 2009 one operating alongside 2003 artics.

devnull wrote: »
    One Aircoach 2004 Setra went up in Leopardstown but it was repaired.

The 2003 ones left Aircoach in something like 2009, some turned up in the UK whilst others were exported to Cyprus of all places but most of them were never spotted again after Aircoach withdrew them following new deliveres.

All but one of the 2004 ones ended up with Dublin Coach, some may now be withdrawn. Not sure what happened to the other one, it's possible it ended up in the UK on a new reg or had an issue deemed beyond economical repair

Looks like a later generation of the Citaro than that to me by the shape of it.

The only non articulated Citaros I've seen operating for Dublin Coach in Limerick have always been 2007 or 2009. When I was there at the start of September I saw a 2009 one operating alongside 2003 artics.

Air coach lost a few more setras then that.

One went in ballinteer at their newish now not terminus also.

• Advertisement

Air coach lost a few more setras then that.

One went in ballinteer at their newish now not terminus also.

Not sure about the 2003 Setras, they left in 2009, not sure if they lost any of them,

They had 20x 2004 according to here. Looking through RTOL.ie I can see that Dublin Coach have 18 of them on their books now so that leaves two missing, one which is this one, no idea what happened to the other, could have been lost I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

I pass by there depot every day
    The Vanhools look nice but those king longs need to be torched for the insurance.
    just walk by any day you can have your very own piece of bus memorabilia just lying on the road!

Very true the king longs look desperate.

If they actually maintained them and fixed cosmetics they may look OK.

I do like the lights down the side when some are actually working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Very true the king longs look desperate.

If they actually maintained them and fixed cosmetics they may look OK.

I do like the lights down the side when some are actually working.

King Long's are a fine machine.

Drove one for 2 days and loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

I was in a few a while back and they were good but lately theyre falling apart.
    Id still buy one to convert to a camper though :)

• Advertisement

If it were me the green would go.,.. Such a rotten colour.

+1

Even the yellow they use for other brands is horrible.

They're almost universally known as "the green bus" though, particularly outside Dublin. So it's part of the brand at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

In all honesty, buses are such big vehicles, anything apart from white just looks ghastly.

As others have said, say "the green bus" anywhere and people know what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭john boye

Karsini wrote: »
    They're almost universally known as "the green bus" though, particularly outside Dublin. So it's part of the brand at this stage.

Albeit, a brand which doesn't appear to have a very good rep.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

john boye wrote: »
    Albeit, a brand which doesn't appear to have a very good rep.

Alas, the fact I can travel Tralee/Red Cow for €15 means I tend to overlook the less than impressive experiences I've had with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Just reading some TripAdvisor reviews and the overriding problem everywhere and the main gripe customers have is the lateness of the coaches. If you look on their site, the times are completely and utterly unrealistic and do nothing to allow for morning/evening traffic which they know is an issue.

If the timetables were actually realistic, people can make proper plans and know what they're dealing with but when they see that a coach is supposedly meant to arrive at say 11:40 but doesn't show up until 12:35 due to a combination of traffic and unrealistic expectations, then this doesn't really bode well when you have a flight to catch or business of some sort to conduct in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Not at all, the green is lovely.

I only travelled on DC once, I enjoyed the experience, but that was for leisure, so cannot comment on reliability.

tabbey wrote: »

I only travelled on DC once, I enjoyed the experience, but that was for leisure, so cannot comment on reliability.

What was the coach and the year of it?

Was it old or modern?

tabbey wrote: »

If it were a different shade of green, its snot green its hidious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

What was the coach and the year of it?

Was it old or modern?

I honestly cannot remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

The bus that went up in flames was an ex quickpark 2009 model Mercedes Ciatro. Just for the record Dublin Coach only have the one King Long.

I saw one of the yellow Tourismos dedicated to tours today and honestly the state of the paintwork wasn't very good.

Chippings and scuff marks in quite a few places, you can start to see bits of green in a good few places where the yellow paint has came away. and it looks pretty poor for a coach that is on a 2016 plate and there's a large dark green line of a scuff mark down the side of it and missing a fuel cap cover.

I saw one of the yellow Tourismos dedicated to tours today and honestly the state of the paintwork wasn't very good.

Chippings and scuff marks in quite a few places, you can start to see bits of green in a good few places where the yellow paint has came away. and it looks pretty poor for a coach that is on a 2016 plate and there's a large dark green line of a scuff mark down the side of it and missing a fuel cap cover.

I was nearly sure they were wrapped but maybe not.

That looks like more than stone chips, probably a ditch i'd say, the cliffs of moher's narrow roads are very unforgiving to a coach, i had to reverse 100 yards up there one day as i met 'Helga' in her German registered tri-axle driving in the middle of the road and refusing to move in for fear of scuffing her paint work.

That looks like more than stone chips, probably a ditch i'd say, the cliffs of moher's narrow roads are very unforgiving to a coach, i had to reverse 100 yards up there one day as i met 'Helga' in her German registered tri-axle driving in the middle of the road and refusing to move in for fear of scuffing her paint work.

Yeah, come to think of it going up there wouldn't be forgiving, didn't really think of that when I saw the coach today, but you're right, looking at that picture and seeing where the coach has been it certainly wouldn't help even if the paint job doesn't look the greatest,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

thelad95 wrote: »
    Just reading some TripAdvisor reviews and the overriding problem everywhere and the main gripe customers have is the lateness of the coaches. If you look on their site, the times are completely and utterly unrealistic and do nothing to allow for morning/evening traffic which they know is an issue.

If the timetables were actually realistic, people can make proper plans and know what they're dealing with but when they see that a coach is supposedly meant to arrive at say 11:40 but doesn't show up until 12:35 due to a combination of traffic and unrealistic expectations, then this doesn't really bode well when you have a flight to catch or business of some sort to conduct in Dublin.

My problem is that they outright lied when I had an issue and wouldn't give a refund. They claimed a bus left at the advertised time. IT never arrived, either up to 15 minutes before or 25 minutes after.

They didn't acknowledge complaints until I cc'd the NTA and even then it was a token phone call and "we'll look into it". I know where I was, and I provided them with proof I was in the area of the advertised stop for the entire time. They didn't do the same. On principal I'd never travel with them.

Yeah, come to think of it going up there wouldn't be forgiving, didn't really think of that when I saw the coach today, but you're right, looking at that picture and seeing where the coach has been it certainly wouldn't help even if the paint job doesn't look the greatest,

Looking at the photo again on closer inspection, the drivers side mirror is also marked, that would most likely be from a tight left hand turn and having to almost kiss the ditch to get around it and obviously the driver caught the trees in the process.

There was a rule when i was driving coaches that if you damage them you pay for it.

If you blew off a mirror,they were called P45's,and no wonder they were, €2000 a pair plus painting, you got the P45.

If you can drive the cliffs of Moher and the ring of Kerry you can drive a coach anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Claude Wilton

Seeing as its a bus, I wouldn't be expecting the Hanging Gardens of Babylon myself.

Advertisement