Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drogheda Wheelie Bin Options?

• 14-11-2019 2:52pm

Hi all,

We used to be with Panda many moons ago (years). Then made an effort to get rid of them around the time they brought in a price increase.

Instead I found it was a lot cheaper to just dump and burn my rubbish on quiet back roads and in other housing estates. Much handier.

(Obviously that's a joke.)
    Really I just took recycling a tad more seriously and let my stuff build up until I would take an ould spin into the recycling centre and off-load most of my stuff there. What little general waste was created went into my brother's bin (usually fill a black bag every 2-3 weeks). There's really only one person in the house, so it was handy.

However, looks like I could have a relative coming to live for a while and that'll mean back to 'normal' waste levels and instead of spending a rare €6 on a bag of waste in the recycling centre, it'd be much more common and i reckon just getting the dreaded wheelie bins back would make the most sense.

From what I can see from Googling, I have a choice of Panda or AES? Are those the only options?

Alternatively, does anyone know a decent (legit) way of getting rid of rubbish without spending a fortune (I don't really have anywhere to put the wheelie bins without them being an eyesore, so although I've accepted I'm more than likely going to get them, it's always worth asking incase there are some other options out there that I'm not aware of).

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Are Oxigen not an option? You can go to the recycling place on Mell and pay them to take general stuff.

I have been using the recycling centre, but €6 per bag is a bit too hefty unfortunately for me to continue to use them.

Hadn't thought of Oxigen. Must look them up. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

I live on my own and use Oxigen's 'Pay By Use' service.

They have an annual charge of €60 which I pay monthly. They then charge €12.50 to pick up a black bin and €6 to pick up a green bin.

It used yo be better value. They only started the €60 charge about a year ago but it's still the best value for me I think.

maximus02 wrote: »
    I live on my own and use Oxigen's 'Pay By Use' service.

They have an annual charge of €60 which I pay monthly. They then charge €12.50 to pick up a black bin and €6 to pick up a green bin.

It used yo be better value. They only started the €60 charge about a year ago but it's still the best value for me I think.

Seems Oxigen will be my preferred option, too, albeit not the plan you're on.

They have a 'standard' service which works out at €306 for the year (weekly collections, but alternate between each bin, so you only get each bin lifted twice a month).

Seems a better deal to me.

If you pay €12.50 and €6 for each bin, and put them both out once a month, you're paying €222 + €60 (annual charge) which brings you to about €282. I reckon you'd be better off just paying the extra €24 per year and getting twice the amount of lifts? (or if you opt for paperless billing and direct debit, they knock €6 off, meaning you'd only pay an extra €18 per year).

(although it obviously only makes sense if you actually put the bins out that often. Obviously if you only stick them out every two months, it'd make more sense to stay as you are).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I've had Oxigen since a became a blowin in 2004. Yes, it was great to have the weekly collection, but when they moved to every two weeks, it really just made me step up my recycling game. I pay €75 a quarter and while there have been others that have tried to better the price, I just find Oxigen's service very reliable, which is what you want when it comes to emptying your bin.

• Advertisement

delly wrote: »
    I've had Oxigen since a became a blowin in 2004. Yes, it was great to have the weekly collection, but when they moved to every two weeks, it really just made me step up my recycling game. I pay €75 a quarter and while there have been others that have tried to better the price, I just find Oxigen's service very reliable, which is what you want when it comes to emptying your bin.

I couldn't disagree more with this in terms of service with Oxigen. Black bin emptied ok every two weeks with pick up times varying from 7am to 12 pm the green one is another matter. Most weeks it's still sat on the kerb come 5pm and it's hit or miss if they'll pick it up or not at that point and when they do it's the general wast truck that lifts it. They'll send you a text over night telling you to get the bins out early long after you've gone to bed ffs.

Sorry folks, i was talking out my hole earlier - It's not Oxigen i was talking about above at all, it's AES. I got them mixed up.

Oxigen don't have prices listed on their site so I skipped by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Oxigen don't have prices listed on their site so I skipped by them.

Oxigen have prices shown at the following link.

https://www.oxigen.ie/app/index.php?task=product&cat_type_id=4

Ah I never found that before. I went through the system and it wants me to pay for it before it'll tell me how much the 'extra charges' are for weight related issues.

Why would I sign up without knowing how much I was gonna ultimately end up paying? :rolleyes:

Mind you, their pricing seems cheaper at €288 per year for what seems to be the same service as the others so presuming they're not price-gouging on overweight charges it doesn't seem too bad.

I'll give them a ring to confirm, tomorrow.

Cheers for that link. Dunno how I couldn't find that myself.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The below might help you, taken from my own online Oxigen account. I've only ever gone over once and was charged a fiver in Q1 this year, and I fairly stuff my bin tbh.

Waste Weight Allowance - 160KG
    Allowance Period - Quarterly
    Charge Per Excess Kilo - €0.23

Weight Allowance and excess charge is based solely on your waste bin. Fair Usage Policy applies to recycling and organic bin lifts. It is based on household average weights and is our way of giving you great value while keeping it fair for you and Oxigen. Recycling fair usage is 20kg per lift and weights in excess may be charged €0.15 per kilo. Organic fair usage is 40kg per lift and weights in excess may be charged €0.18 per kilo

• Advertisement

Ah that's great, cheers Delly :) Seems reasonable. Fortnightly lifts, and a 160kg per quarter allowance means 25kg per lift. I doubt I'd exceed that. I'll sign up with them then, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

Thanks, you'd need to be Sherlock Holmes to find that on the website on your own:rolleyes:

Do Oxigen do a brown bin though in Drogheda?

Anyone know Panda's prices, as their website aint very helpful!

Advertisement