Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

• 22-02-2012 10:36pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This thread is for Netflix film recommendations and discussion ONLY! Any posts containing technical queries relating to DNS or VPN settings will be deleted. Please do not ask questions or start threads about regional workarounds.

What is your preference for the Netflix recommendations thread? 112 votes

Film & TV recommendations combined
    0%
    Separate threads for film & TV
    100%
    CorinthianDont be at yourselfEarthhorse[Deleted User]gucciixoytricky DFyshBasqsafetyboyT. HanksMickerooRoddy23NANOJOadoxsweetieVex WillemsNotoriousmaximus02spacecoyote 112 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Well I'll get the ball rolling so. Just finished season four of five seasons of a show called Friday Night Lights. Based on a small town in Texas football team, it's a whole lot more than football, more about the community and their trials and tribulations with the coach and his wife the centre piece.

Very well written and acted, corny as hell at times, but it's a fantastic show none the less. Some fantastic characters in it, you'll finish an episode with a smile on your face more often than not.

Definitely recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Friday Night Lights actually makes me want to move to the arse end of Texas.

Following on from the "smile on your face theme", Being Elmo: A Puppeteers Story was added to US Netflix the other day.

Highly recommended for being just an all round feel good and inspiring documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Dear Zachery,
    The Girlfriend had to leave the room crying. I was holding them back aswell. What an incredible, heartbreaking story!

I liked Frozen also, 3 Americans stuck on a ski-lift. Very tense, short and simply.

Also saw a movie call Rubber about a Tyre who can kill people with its mind. As ridiculous as it sounds, its quite watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

Ahhhh! Zombies
    It's incredibly cheesy (intentionally so) and really very funny because of it.
    It's a zombie flick- from the zombies perspective. Which is quite unique!
    I started watching it as the 'DVD cover' on Netflix and the blurb were so... Yet again cheesy. It was worth it. It's like who framed roger rabbit meets the day of the dead meets your typical teen movie
    If you like zombie flicks, piss takes etc. you might well like this. Seriously funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

adox wrote: »
    Well I'll get the ball rolling so. Just finished season four of five seasons of a show called Friday Night Lights. Based on a small town in Texas football team, it's a whole lot more than football, more about the community and their trials and tribulations with the coach and his wife the centre piece.

Very well written and acted, corny as hell at times, but it's a fantastic show none the less. Some fantastic characters in it, you'll finish an episode with a smile on your face more often than not.

Definitely recommended.

just finished the 5th season of FNL, fantastic show, am a big fan of the original movie and had always been meaning to watch the show but was worried it didnt live up to the film, I was wrong. the second season suffers from the writers strike at the time as its a bit all over the place, especially the
    Landry/Tyra murder storyline, didnt like that at all and Landrys dad just vanishes afterwards
    but it gets better with each season. the ending of season 5 is absolutely brilliant. Tim Riggins is now one of my favorite tv show characters ever.

I've been on a comedy bender the last few nights, really recommend I Am Comic, a doc about standup and a retired comedians attempt to get back into the standup business, some very funny interviews with Sarah Silverman, Louis CK and others:

and this pretty interesting documentary, Pulling John, I'd never heard of John Brzenk before watching it, but sweet jesus, there's undefeated champions and then theres undefeated champions, a professional armwrestler who hasnt been defeated for 25 years goes at it with a Russian prodigy and upstart young American kid who are trying to take his world champion crown, really entertaining doc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

ip man and ip man 2 on the us netflix.. wallander the swedish version on the Irish version..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Pulling John was very good. I'm currently watching the first season of Sons of Anarchy which is brilliant. It takes a few episodes to click but once it does it's mental.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

For those who just woke up from a coma - Breaking Bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Title: 30 Rock
    Genre: Comedy - TV Show
    Starring: Alec Baldwin , Tina Faye
    Season: 1

Ok just finished watching the above which I found to be very funny and what suprised me was the comic timing of Alec Baldwin who is by far the star of the show.

My only gripe is that it is actually too short most episodes only last 20mins

If you are a fan of programmes like two and haf men then this is for you

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

campo wrote: »
    Title: 30 Rock
    Genre: Comedy - TV Show
    Starring: Alec Baldwin , Tina Faye
    Season: 1

Ok just finished watching the above which I found to be very funny and what suprised me was the comic timing of Alec Baldwin who is by far the star of the show.

My only gripe is that it is actually too short most episodes only last 20mins

If you are a fan of programmes like two and haf men then this is for you

Balwin is legendary in that show!

Two documentaries worth a look on the US netflix I watched recently - Bustin' Down the Door about the birth of pro surfing and Pearl Jam Twenty chronicling twenty years of Pearl Jam, directed by Cameron Crowe

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Folks let's not get too bogged down with TV discussion. No problem at all with a bit of general banter in this thread (and it would be utterly futile and unfair trying to mod that), and there will surely be film fans interested in some of the great shows on there, but (to state the obvious) this is the film forum and there's a similar thread over in the TV forum for talk about TV shows :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

1. The Station Agent: Slow moving story, but very nicely shot and a real feel good movie. 4/5

2. In the Mood for Love: Very arty movie set in Hong Kong, worth a look. Not much to it though. 3/5

3. High Fidelity: Hadn't seen it in years. Cleverly narrated John Cusack flick. 3.5/5

4. The Insider: Great movie based around the tobacco industry in America. 4/5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Mr.David wrote: »

4. The Insider: Great movie based around the tobacco industry in America. 4/5

Never actually saw The Insider. Might give that a go tonight. After a few episodes of Married with Children! :o Ahead of it's time I tell ya!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have a mixed feeling about the anime selection - on the one hand, there's a bunch of stuff there I'd like to watch (yay!) but on the other hand, it all seems to be dubbed rather than subtitled (BOOOO!).

I watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time the other night and despite the dubbing it was pretty damn good. A nice take on time-travel and a good enough story, weaving between time-travel and high-school drama quite deftly.

Any other recommendations from the UK/Ireland anime selection?

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Never actually saw The Insider. Might give that a go tonight. After a few episodes of Married with Children! :o Ahead of it's time I tell ya!

Great film, intelligent adult drama, its superbly shot too as you'd expect from Michael Mann. Full of great character actors too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fysh wrote: »
    Any other recommendations from the UK/Ireland anime selection?

Summer Wars is the director's follow up to Girl Who Leapt... and is (IMO) a superior film. Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is meant to be great too. I still haven't gotten around to the TV show and the dub is a cause for concern, but still really want to give it a gander soon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Summer Wars is the director's follow up to Girl Who Leapt... and is (IMO) a superior film. Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is meant to be great too. I still haven't gotten around to the TV show and the dub is a cause for concern, but still really want to give it a gander soon.

Boo, Summer Wars isn't on UK Netflix :(

I'd noticed Disappearance Of Haruhi Suzumiya alright, and I'll likely plow through all the Ghost In The Shell stuff as well. It's amusing that the Anime category includes Invincible Iron Man and Thor :D

Fysh wrote: »
    Boo, Summer Wars isn't on UK Netflix :(

Just checked the Irish one and it's gone too, which is a shame. Oh well, means you have to buy the subbed Blu-Ray instead ;)

Just checked the Irish one and it's gone too, which is a shame. Oh well, means you have to buy the subbed Blu-Ray, full-HD TV and Blu-Ray player instead ;)

Fixed that for you :P

I've read suggestions that a lot of the current anime selection is provided through the soon-to-expire Starz deal, but I'm hoping they have some sort of plan to address that. I know there's not a huge selection on the UK/Irish set up, but it'd be a real shame to lose what's there.

Well in the US version there are a few distributors on board, with varying selections: a company called Viz seem to be the ones providing subtitled anime like Death Note, whereas Starz are the ones sticking with dubs. They do the same on iTunes - downloaded the (dreadful) Eden of the East movies and was disgusted to discover they didn't provide an original language option :(.

I'm not sure if Manga are on board over here yet, but since they 'own' a lot of the anime properties released over here there'd be a lot of potential for subbed stuff. But streaming anime has never been adequately handled over here. Bar whatever's available on crunchyroll (a significantly poorer selection than the US, I gather) there's few legal alternatives. Whereas the US has quite a number of anime streaming sites and services - anime network, adult swim etc... - here Netflix seems the only the option. And it would be a real shame if the distribution contracts don't allow for online distribution options.

• Advertisement

Well in the US version there are a few distributors on board, with varying selections: a company called Viz seem to be the ones providing subtitled anime like Death Note, whereas Starz are the ones sticking with dubs. They do the same on iTunes - downloaded the (dreadful) Eden of the East movies and was disgusted to discover they didn't provide an original language option :(.

Hopefully they'll expand the deal with Viz - they're the crowd who provide a lot of manga to the US (stuff like Shonen Jump as well as Dragon Ball, 20th Century Boys, Pluto etc).
    I'm not sure if Manga are on board over here yet, but since they 'own' a lot of the anime properties released over here there'd be a lot of potential for subbed stuff. But streaming anime has never been adequately handled over here. Bar whatever's available on crunchyroll (a significantly poorer selection than the US, I gather) there's few legal alternatives. Whereas the US has quite a number of anime streaming sites and services - anime network, adult swim etc... - here Netflix seems the only the option. And it would be a real shame if the distribution contracts don't allow for online distribution options.

Yeah, it'd be awesome to get Manga on board. Might go and pester ask nicely via mail if there are plans to get them on board :)

Pulling John was very good. I'm currently watching the first season of Sons of Anarchy which is brilliant. It takes a few episodes to click but once it does it's mental.

SOA is excellent, but be warned,most of season three is nearly a show killer, but season 4 is amazing again so its worth sticking with it, ask any SOA fan and yeah, season 3 sucks for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Watched "Lives Of Others" last night, fantastic film, great evocation of what it must have been like to live in such a dour, colourless dictatorship where you couldn't trust anyone , fantastic performance from main Stazi guy (sad that he died around time that the film was released).

Possibly Cronenbergs finest hour, The Fly is available in HD for anyone who hasnt seen it. A gem of a movie.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Being Elmo: A Puppeteers Story was added to US Netflix the other day.

Highly recommended for being just an all round feel good and inspiring documentary.

Going to check this one out over the next few days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

Alexander Payne's first movie. Never properly released here and I'd always wanted to see it and, though for me it's not his best (hint: Election) it proved well worth a watch. An unusually scuzzy role for Laura Dern. Kurtwood Smith. Abortion satire. (On US Netflix only, assuming everyone has that now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

The Bridge: Great documentary following a year looking at the suicides jumps from the Golden Gate Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Have been watching 24 and Breaking Bad so have not got to watch as many films as I would liked but here are some I enjoyed.

TrollHunter

A group of students investigates a series of mysterious bear killings, but learns that there are much more dangerous things going on. They start to follow a mysterious hunter, learning that he is actually a troll hunter.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740707/

Best Worse Movie - A look at the making of the film Troll 2 and its journey from being crowned the "worst film of all time" to a cherished cult classic.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1144539/

Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Tucker & Dale are on vacation at their dilapidated mountain cabin when they are attacked by a group of preppy college kids.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1465522/

House of 1000 Corpses

Two teenage couples traveling across the backwoods of Texas searching for urban legends of serial killers end up as prisoners of a bizarre and sadistic backwater family of serial killers.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251736/

The King of Kong

Diehard video game fans compete to break World Records on classic arcade games.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0923752/

The Bridge: Great documentary following a year looking at the suicides jumps from the Golden Gate Bridge.

crazy footage in that, I thought it'd be cctv stills not actual footage of people committing suicide, but you're seeing the last moments of someones life, its powerful stuff.

krudler wrote: »
    crazy footage in that, I thought it'd be cctv stills not actual footage of people committing suicide, but you're seeing the last moments of someones life, its powerful stuff.

I watched it a while ago and posted about it in the Doc. Forum. The one thing that didn't sit with me too well was that the director didn't tell any of the families interviewed, that he had filmed their loved ones jumping.

Fascinating documentary all the same which stayed long in my mind afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Jackass 3. Total guilty pleasure of mine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement