Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

TheNog wrote: »
    that will look good on your CV. Fair play ye for doing.

Would suggest it to others as well.

i was thinking of a security course but i was told community work will look better on the C.V

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

i was thinking of a security course but i was told community work will look better on the C.V

As much and all as I applaud your effort, and appreciate those who get involved in their community, I would say this: Please don't do community work solely to enhance your CV. I would hope you have an interest in the work you are doing!:)

eroo wrote: »
    As much and all as I applaud your effort, and appreciate those who get involved in their community, I would say this: Please don't do community work solely to enhance your CV. I would hope you have an interest in the work you are doing!:)

yap i love it

really enjoy working with the kids

was thinking of getting a job in the youth service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Gingface

I'm in my final year in college and just discovered this board, i had no idea there was such a huge queue! I had always planned to join after I graduated and a few friends left early and got in this summer and it seems like they just got in in time! I only applied on irishjobs earlier this week, does that mean I'm looking at 2010 application?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

What type of security course?
    Gingface wrote: »
    I only applied on irishjobs earlier this week, does that mean I'm looking at 2010 application?

Did you mean to say Publicjobs.ie?

No one really knows when the next recruitment campaign will be. The numbers being taken in next year will be around 400 so I would imagine they will already have those numbers from the 2007 campaign tbh (campaign advertised in 2007 and recruiting in 2008).

• Advertisement

TheNog wrote: »
    What type of security course?
    its the one is Templemore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

id remove that name from your last comment ..not good to mention names over the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Celtic07 wrote: »
    id remove that name from your last comment ..not good to mention names over the thread

:rolleyes:

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

and the point of that was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 EI-CML

Hi Guys

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I couldnt seem to find an answer to it.

I am due to sit my Leaving Cert in June 2009 an I was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to go on to College and get a degree and then apply for the next Garda recruitment drive when I finish college?

Or do I stand the same chance as everyone one else as getting recruited with only a Leaving Cert and having previous work experience?

Thanks..

• Advertisement

EI-CML wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I couldnt seem to find an answer to it.

I am due to sit my Leaving Cert in June 2009 an I was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to go on to College and get a degree and then apply for the next Garda recruitment drive when I finish college?

Or do I stand the same chance as everyone one else as getting recruited with only a Leaving Cert and having previous work experience?

Thanks..
    if you get a degree and is then sucessful with the garda Siochana you'll get a slight payment increase

as for better chance going for the garda im unsure
    i personally think doing a security course or community course would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭keith101

Hi EI-CML I was asking the same question as you only a few months ago i did my L.C june08.. i would recommend definitely apply for a college or some course try not to be idle after june.. im currently in university but would leave in a second if was accepted in GS.. Would having a degree improve your chances? my opinion i dont think so.. A degree or cert does not make a good garda.. if your the right person for the job it will show and you will progress through the stages...

Anyone going for the Reserves in the mean time hoping it will improve their chances of getting in next yr?.... got the word of PublicJobs during the week off the upcoming interviews!!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

is there a recruitment freeze for the gardai for the next year or so, similar to the Defence Forces?

if you get a degree and is then sucessful with the garda Siochana you'll get a slight payment increase

as for better chance going for the garda im unsure
    i personally think doing a security course or community course would be better

the GRA website stated extra 'increments' to be paid if a degree is held by a member? any idea how much this is? and is it a once off payment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Lomu

Scouser wrote: »
    the GRA website stated extra 'increments' to be paid if a degree is held by a member? any idea how much this is? and is it a once off payment?

You get the increments once you have done a min of 2 years service. The difference is only a few hundred quid each year.

Lomu wrote: »
    You get the increments once you have done a min of 2 years service. The difference is only a few hundred quid each year.

better than a kick in teh arse!

is it nearer 999 euro or 100 euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TheDark_Knight

hi guys,
    I'm a 28 year old fella, working as a carpenter since i left school in the year of my leaving cert 2007, since things have gone belly up in the construction industry i am having to reassess my chosen career. I am interested in joining the guards, am i correct in thinking the leaving cert is an absolute minimum education grade to have before going through the hoops, I have no problem working my arse off for the next year or two as mature student to get this under my belt, do i need to do all subjects or what would help me to get the ball rolling, so hopefully i can join the guards in the next couple of years and have a stable job, thanks for any advice

hi guys,
    I'm a 28 year old fella, working as a carpenter since i left school in the year of my leaving cert 2007, since things have gone belly up in the construction industry i am having to reassess my chosen career. I am interested in joining the guards, am i correct in thinking the leaving cert is an absolute minimum education grade to have before going through the hoops, I have no problem working my arse off for the next year or two as mature student to get this under my belt, do i need to do all subjects or what would help me to get the ball rolling, so hopefully i can join the guards in the next couple of years and have a stable job, thanks for any advice

Speaking as someone who wants to be a Garda, alls I can say is this.. don't go for it if your only after a 'stable job'. If that is your only motivation, then you may not last very long imo. Every Garda I've ever met has said this to me! Hope this helps mate!:)

eroo wrote: »
    Speaking as someone who wants to be a Garda, alls I can say is this.. don't go for it if your only after a 'stable job'. If that is your only motivation, then you may not last very long imo. Every Garda I've ever met has said this to me! Hope this helps mate!:)
    no no not at all, i want something i can do for life, i always give 110% to anything i do, but as you know the arse has fallen out of the construction industry, i need something i can commit to in the long term, i'm not the kind of person that could go into a factory now as all the building has stopped, the gaurds has it all,

• Advertisement

no no not at all, i want something i can do for life, i always give 110% to anything i do, but as you know the arse has fallen out of the construction industry, i need something i can commit to in the long term, i'm not the kind of person that could go into a factory now as all the building has stopped, the gaurds has it all,

Yes but the Gardai isn't just another job! You should have an interest in policing, and maybe you do. But if you don't, it may not be for you. Anytime I've spoken to a Garda in the last few years, that is the first thing they say..don't do it just for money, pension, job security etc:)

don't worry about me or my motivations ,
    unless you can help with my original questions
    thanks

don't worry about me or my motivations ,
    unless you can help with my original questions
    thanks

Just trying to help, take it easy.

This should help:
    http://garda.ie/faq.html#R2

lovely, thank you

hi guys,

you must have 2 languages anyway..english counted as a language so you can have eng and irish or irish and german etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 midlander22

Hey.

I am hoping to to sit the ap test in 09 at next recuitment drive, I tried 3 years ago but was not successful. I really want to join but am so worried that I will never pass this ap test. This year is gonna be harder with less numbers goin through and I cant see myself being placed in the top 100 or whatever to go through . I am taking a home study course now and intend to study from now till I sit the exam. I have a basic pass in my leaving cert and im not 'overly' clever when it comes to tests like this and esp with the time limit. I am gonna work my ass off and do my best but I feel it will not be enough. Am I worrying too much?? What more can I do?? Any advise??

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭keith101

Well lads its officially 09 now... Anyone got an idea for when another drive might start..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Nobody knows but there are more than enough in the pipeline already so would not surprised if it did not happen in 2009 ... totally an opinion though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

As Paolo said, nobody knows but imo they will start another drive in the first half of 09. It takes the guts of a year to get people through the recruitment process anyway so I reckon if they dont have one in Feb then they probably will in May. Also just an opinion though! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

keith101 wrote: »
    Well lads its officially 09 now... Anyone got an idea for when another drive might start..

New Year but :confused:

okay, well I for one would say that their won't be any recruitment drive until after April onward, they will possible stay with tradition and hold one in May ...

My reasoning behind this is in the A.G.S. Policing Plan 2009 found on http://www.garda.ie/home.html , but especially on page 12/17 where :
    The Strategic Imperative is "To engage, train, develop and motivate staff" ,
    The Change Improvement Project is "Review of Recruitment and Selection"
    the Timeframe is given as "Project Completed Quarter 1" .

So I would say that it won't be until after that is completed will a new Recruitment Drive be held considering they would already have the numbers for the 4x100 intakes scheduled for 2009.

Advertisement