Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

feeling quite nippy now in Meath, currently only 11C.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

My weather station gave a high of 26.2C today.

I would be happy for this weather to remain if it came with thundery showers, maybe later in the summer, though the Met Office in the UK were showing the possibility of isolated heavy showers breaking out tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

9C now, jumper back on. Dublin airport reporting 7C. I see it's still 18C in parts of the west!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its been a great few days ,photo below ,approaching Westport and heading for Clew Bay with Clare Island in the background

Glad the heat is about to dissipate, it has sat here in the midwest for over a week like a giant leech draining the lifeblood. Sleep at a premium, and meandering through the day in first gear. Never one to complain about the sun, however the recent spell has been relentless. Worry about the great balancing act, we seem to be veering from one extreme to other in past two years. Near drought conditions since the middle of March, only two minor rainfall events that passed over quickly. Hopefully a biblical deluge isn't in the works for greater part of summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

27.1 recorded at Newport yesterday, I think that is the official highest temp of the year so far

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Glad the heat is about to dissipate, it has sat here in the midwest for over a week like a giant leech draining the lifeblood. Sleep at a premium, and meandering through the day in first gear. Never one to complain about the sun, however the recent spell has been relentless. Worry about the great balancing act, we seem to be veering from one extreme to other in past two years. Near drought conditions since the middle of March, only two minor rainfall events that passed over quickly. Hopefully a biblical deluge isn't in the works for greater part of summer.

Well Mother Nature does like to balance herself out so I expect some real deluges aren’t far away after such a dry spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

pad199207 wrote: »
    Well Mother Nature does like to balance herself out so I expect some real deluges aren’t far away after such a dry spell.

Could be the warmest day of this current spell in the southeast with a long land track northwesterly instead of the sea breeze
    Often the way
    Already 20c in Arklow, that's 3 to 4c warmer than any time this week at this time of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Dublin Airport the joint warmest ME station at 9am.

Don't get to say that very often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

John.Icy wrote: »
    Dublin Airport the joint warmest ME station at 9am.

Don't get to say that very often.

Just nudging 22c down here in Arklow
    Not 10am yet and that's the highest it's been here in this spell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

27.1 recorded at Newport yesterday, I think that is the official highest temp of the year so far

Got to 27.2°c at the climate station in Durrow, Laois County. There may be higher temperatures from other climate stations which won't typically report until early-July unless the station operator makes contact with Met Eireann directly to report a high temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Absolute roaster of a morning in South Dublin, the land track of the wind has made a huge difference - normally the mornings are nice and cool but today has gone right into the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Very warm in the sun already this morning again in North Donegal, but a nice breeze should make it very pleasant.
    Pity I'm working and won't see too much of it, as meant to break for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Dewpoint at Knock has shot up this morning, currently at 17.1 °C. It's way higher than other station in the area, all of which range from 10-13 °C. Air temperature is only 17.4, so almost 100% r.h.

Hourly dewpoints:

7 am : 10.1
    8 am : 11.7
    9 am : 14.8
    10 am : 17.1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

36.8c in my garden at the minute, its well sheltered from any breeze, proper temp says 23.4c and rising but unsure how accurate that might be, high cloud line directly above us, but sun is still on the right side of it thankfully

Edit: sun is about to be covered by the cloud :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So are we back to the usual after today? Highs of 10 to 13c in Dublin forecast from tomorrow till Monday at least, urgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

22 degrees in cork city already this morning, going to be our warmest day of the year no doubt. :)

23 degrees at phoenix park and 22 at Dublin airport at 11am. Gonna be a warm one today

It’s the same for most of Northern Europe but signs that it will really improve again from early next week. It will be cooler this week after today but I think those looking for a good soaking to help the soil will be disappointed. I don’t think a lot of rain is forecast. The ground in my garden in Dublin is cracking and the grass has gone yellow
    So are we back to the usual after today? Highs of 10 to 13c in Dublin forecast from tomorrow till Monday at least, urgh.

22.5°c at Kildare

• Advertisement

Pretty miserable now along the northwest west coast, in contrast to recent days, e.g. Belmullet overcast at 800 ft, temperature 13.6. Finner and Sligo and Donegal airports similar.

Further east, cloud bases are around 14,000 ft at e.g. Athlone and Mullingar.

Dewpoint at Knock has shot up this morning, currently at 17.1 °C. It's way higher than other station in the area, all of which range from 10-13 °C. Air temperature is only 17.4, so almost 100% r.h.

Hourly dewpoints:

7 am : 10.1
    8 am : 11.7
    9 am : 14.8
    10 am : 17.1

Something not right at Knock. The dewpoint has risen further to 18.3 °C and seems to be tracking the dry-bulb temperature, which itself is also 18.3. Anyone in the area able to confirm that Knock is shrouded in cloud and it's that humid? The automated reports from there don't include any visibility or cloud data.

I wouldn't say we are back to the usual but certainly a big change in terms of temperatures and probably sunshine. It will be cooler from tomorrow and unseasonably cool over the weekend, temperatures will begin to recover very slowly from Monday. There will be very little rain in the south and south-west, small amounts elsewhere with showers. The north and north-west will see the most rain or showers over the next week. Some parts of the country could stay completely dry throughout if they avoid the showers.

However, there is still the threat of it turning much more unsettled around the 10th to 12th of June before we start to see more settled and warm conditions build back. We won't be seeing temperatures or sunshine amounts like the past few days for several weeks. At the same time it doesn't look like we're going to see the typical normal service from the Atlantic either with conveyer belts of low pressures moving in over us one after another for weeks on end.

Something not right at Knock. The dewpoint has risen further to 18.3 °C and seems to be tracking the dry-bulb temperature, which itself is also 18.3. Anyone in the area able to confirm that Knock is shrouded in cloud and it's that humid? The automated reports from there don't include any visibility or cloud data.

Hi GL,its CAVOK here in Castlebar about 12 nautical miles west of Knock.

23.3°c at midday in Kildare

Today defo feels the warmest day here in Dublin so far

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's already cooler here today than compared to yesterday, it's beginning to get cloudy too. Personally i'm not a fan of temperatures creeping into the highs 20's, unless it signals the arrivals of Thunderstorms. I'd be happy with temperatures in the low twenties otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

I'm in Ballymote and its 19c here and fair. Does that help?

definitely the warmest morning here in Meath. It is currently 23C which makes this the warmest day of the year so far. Our high up to today was 22C. Our highest temperature last summer/2019 was also 23C so I think today we will beat last year's high temperature record for our area.

• Advertisement

Midday
    Phoenix park 24 degrees
    Belmullet 14 degrees

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement