Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shutdown

• 29-03-2020 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Reports today of Gardai stopping traffic on the N11 and asking them to justify their journey.

In a democratic country that's quite the thing. I know these are exceptional circumstances, but surely a family unit living in the same home driving in a closed car isn't going to spread anything to anyone. A motorcyclist with helmet on and visor down surely isn't either, especially if they can pay at pump for petrol like at my local Maxol.

This seems intended to scare people and is over the top in my humble opinion.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

With this shutdown, and the weather at last improving, its time to get the bike out of hibernation. I can't see what risk of either contracting or spreading the virus is when out on the bike. Also the 2 km restriction is a blunt instrument, because I could ride out to the wilds of Wicklow and back without ever actually getting close to any actual person, whereas if I am walking in my local area I would encounter numerous other people. I suppose the only logical reason not to go out on the bike might be that if you did have an accident hospital would not be the best place to be right now.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Stick a backpack on and tell the Guard you are going doing your shopping and picking up essential medicines. Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Or you could just follow the rules like everyone else? Loads of time for spins when this is all over.

Make an exception for one group and everyone else will want an exception, the only way it works is if we all do it regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭H_Lime

If this was purely a bike related site I'd engage with this thread, but here, nope I pass. No offence;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,378 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Not sure if your trying to be edgey or not. But people have lost loved ones up and down the nation.

The last time they saw their wife, mother, sister , brother , dad ,uncle, aunty was when they went off in the back of an ambulance. Gone.

No funeral to attend nothing.

I note your concerned about democracy. I'd be concerned about cop on. Stay in your bloody homes help the frontline car workers do their job. They're out there working huge shifts under extreme conditions.

No one should be travelling anywhere unless they have a serious need to. Anyone that is driving around the place with their family is an utter moron and is literally costing lives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

listermint wrote: »
    Not sure if your trying to be edgey or not. But people have lost loved ones up and down the nation.

The last time they say their wife, mother, sister , brother , dad ,uncle, aunty was when they went off in the back of an ambulance. Gone.

No funeral to attend nothing.

I note your concerned about democracy. I'd be concerned about cop on. Stay in your bloody homes help the frontline car workers do their job. They're out there working huge shifts under extreme conditions.

No one should be travelling anywhere unless they have a serious need to. Anyone that is driving around the place with their family is an utter moron and is literally costing lives.

Just in case you did't notice it in the OP, but the OP states that they are wearing motorcycling helmet and can pay at the pump. On his motorbike, he's not going to come into contact with anybody. Explain to me how the OP, if he decides to take a spin, is "costing lives".

Your post is hyperbole and scaremongering. Yes this is serious, no you are still over-reacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

I can feel your frustration. Yesterday I put my bike out, washed it, clean it, charged it and then back in the shed... We use to go out every Saturday, throughout the whole year, unless it rains. And now we are missing some of the best Saturdays.

However, this has to stop. The sooner. It is not just the few people that will die. People die every day from several reasons. It is the impact that will have to the economy, the country, and everyone.

If we don't play by the rules, next step will be monitoring. Mobile providers already agreed to give our location data. Governments all over the world looking for opportunities to remove some of our rights, our privacy. Don't give them that.

...especially if they can pay at pump for petrol like at my local Maxol...

This has been reported as of of the major points of virus transmission. HSE says it isn't, but Gas stations provide single use gloves...

Just in case you did't notice it in the OP, but the OP states that they are wearing motorcycling helmet and can pay at the pump. On his motorbike, he's not going to come into contact with anybody. Explain to me how the OP, if he decides to take a spin, is "costing lives".

Your post is hyperbole and scaremongering. Yes this is serious, no you are still over-reacting.

I'm a motorcyclist it's not scare mongering. If that idiot comes off his bike even a small tip he's taking up resources on an already over stretched service.

He's also touching handles and keypads and pumps that don't need to be touched.

It's not worth a spin to be out it's the opposite it's selfish behaviour . You lads are adults it's nigh on time to grow up and cop on. Have a thought in your brain for the nurse or doctor that's doing 14 hour shifts and more. One of them died last week because of all this.

Why do people need to be reminded of this. Do you get your news off Facebook???

And just another note having re-read posts again.

If you use the term 'scare mongering' for a pandemic which cost a person their lives every 6 minutes in New York Sunday (yesterday) then id suggest you re-examine your sources of information.

Its the actions we take in this country that mean we don't have those astonishing figures on our little Island. Those actions include calling people out when they are being selfish clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The lockdown is not all about virus transmission, its also to stop people being out and about and injuring themselves which puts huge pressure on a barely functioning heath system.
    Its one thing you can do which will save lives.
    Did you see the video from the Dr in Spain where he is explaining how they are just taking ventilators off people over 65 because they are trying to save young people?
    I'd love to be out and about on my bike/s but I know full well that it would be stupid, selfish and irresponsible of me to do so.
    So I am at home and staying safe with my family.
    This is one time you need to be thinking about everyone else and not just yourself.
    Do the right thing and be a responsible individual.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The lockdown is not all about virus transmission, its also to stop people being out and about and injuring themselves which puts huge pressure on a barely functioning heath system.
    Its one thing you can do which will save lives.
    Did you see the video from the Dr in Spain where he is explaining how they are just taking ventilators off people over 65 because they are trying to save young people?
    I'd love to be out and about on my bike/s but I know full well that it would be stupid, selfish and irresponsible of me to do so.
    So I am at home and staying safe with my family.
    This is one time you need to be thinking about everyone else and not just yourself.
    Do the right thing and be a responsible individual.

I've been stripping mine down doing preventative maintenance so that it's tip top when it comes back on.

So far I've done.

Head race bearings.
    Front wheel bearings.
    New tyres.
    New front and rear disks
    New front and rear pads.
    New braided brake lines.

Chain pulled off and cleaned down in kero. Relubed. And I've been tying up any loose cables as there was annoying rattle on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Park the bike up and be a good citizen for christ sake. My DL1000 is looking sad in the garage but that's life. This is bigger than our own personal satisfaction

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

aaakev wrote: »
    Or you could just follow the rules like everyone else? Loads of time for spins when this is all over.

Make an exception for one group and everyone else will want an exception, the only way it works is if we all do it regardless

WHAT...????

What the fcuk are you talking about a "group"...we're all individuals...theres still people out walking, cycling getting on with it (within reason)....we can still use our bikes for the purposes outlined........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭sonic85

It absolutely amazes me that this situation still has to be explained to some people. I'm constantly lurking on this forum and I know most of the lads that post here seem to be very intelligent - so how is the message not sinking in?

This lockdown or whatever you want to call it will go on much longer than it should because some people just cant use an iota of common sense and do the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

[QUOTE=sonic85;112997431This lockdown or whatever you want to call it will go on much longer than it should because some people just cant use an iota of common sense and do the right thing.[/QUOTE]

100% agree...Why was not more action taken when that woman and child arrived back from Italy weeks ago knowing what was happening in China and Italy....and now here we are..;)

FYI..i havent been or shall be out on the bike...but if some people want to ,its not my business and i wont judge them...:)

100% agree...Why was not more action taken when that woman and child arrived back from Italy weeks ago knowing what was happening in China and Italy....and now here we are..;)

FYI..i havent been or shall be out on the bike...but if some people want to ,its not my business and i wont judge them...:)

Aye we did'nt do it back then so we shouldnt now.... ... ...... ....

They should be judged, if someone i know needs that critical care i know who il be judging. spanners that willyfully wouldnt had they stayed put

I would ask anyone that thinks it doesnt apply to them, spend a few minutes to read this.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/the-last-time-i-saw-her-was-when-she-was-being-put-into-the-ambulance-1.4215100

then sit back and have a think about your loved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I note your concerned about democracy. I'd be concerned about cop on.

I'd be concerned about overzealous rules which don't actually contribute anything useful, but that's just me :rolleyes:
    I'm a motorcyclist it's not scare mongering. If that idiot comes off his bike even a small tip he's taking up resources on an already over stretched service.

True but you could make this sort of argument to ban motorcycles at any time. Also I think 25 years of experience and an advanced rider qualification helps somewhat.
    He's also touching handles and keypads and pumps that don't need to be touched.

I've never ridden a motorcycle bare-handed, have you? My gloves have a metallic fingertip that operates touchscreens...
    It's not worth a spin to be out it's the opposite it's selfish behaviour .

Again this could be used as an argument at any time, the green lobby would love that one. Burning hydrocarbons for a jolly, how very dare you!

What the fcuk are you talking about a "group"...we're all individuals...

I'm not :)

I'd be concerned about overzealous rules which don't actually contribute anything useful, but that's just me :rolleyes:

True but you could make this sort of argument to ban motorcycles at any time. Also I think 25 years of experience and an advanced rider qualification helps somewhat.

I've never ridden a motorcycle bare-handed, have you? My gloves have a metallic fingertip that operates touchscreens...

Again this could be used as an argument at any time, the green lobby would love that one. Burning hydrocarbons for a jolly, how very dare you!

Rules of stay at home dont product anything useful ?..........

Your the best driver in the world!..............

and you dont know how the virus is transmitted your gloves can transport it for 8 hours around anything you touch right back to your home.

Stay of facebook fella. You are now talking bout carbon emissions, Facebook has alot to answer for. Ive tried to get my mother to delete it, shes actively losing braincells quoting stuff off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

I would ask anyone that thinks it doesnt apply to them, spend a few minutes to read this.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/the-last-time-i-saw-her-was-when-she-was-being-put-into-the-ambulance-1.4215100

This bit got to me

Clutching a photograph of his wife, Tom paced up and down his garden, a short distance from where his wife was being laid to rest. It was all that he could do.

“I am not going to break all the rules and walk up there and see her. I’m not going to do that because that would not be right; it would be selfish on all the people of Derrylin,” he said.
    ****end of quote ****

But I know, some people get entrenched and can't, or won't see a bigger picture.
    What can you do 🙄

Yiz are hilarious lads, but don't give up the day job.

Facebook is blocked at my firewall btw...

It was a pesky motorcyclist wot dun it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

State of this edgelord, fuckin loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Also I think 25 years of experience and an advanced rider qualification helps somewhat.

You can't account for other drivers though. Just follow the rules and don't be a dick.

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, Bob Log III, David Kitt, Ludovico Einaudi, DADDY LONG LEGS, The Prodigy, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, The Murder Capital, PJ Harvey, The Bonnevilles (w/Amy Montgomery, Rews, New Pagans), The Undertones (w/Buzzcocks), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

It was a pesky motorcyclist wot dun it :rolleyes:

The man lost his wife, and couldn't even attend the funeral.

And you're making jokes about it?

Says it all really.

The overreactions on here are absolutely bloody ridiculous.

Get a grip people.

The man lost his wife, and couldn't even attend the funeral.

And you're making jokes about it?

Says it all really.

Remember when the whole country got an extra public holiday after 9/11?

I organised a group spin for that day and everyone (who remembered to fill up at one of the few petrol stations open, first) had a great time

Did I feel a shred of guilt - no.

Should I feel a shred of guilt about what happened to that poor man - no. It's not my fault and you're not going to guilt trip me over something I've had nothing to do with.

Get a grip people.

Lovely attitude you've displayed on here. Becoming embarrassing is it ? Usually people get like that when they are embarrassed. Rather than say actually I was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Get a grip people.

Your overreaction to government guidelines in the midst of a worldwide pandemic are absolutely bloody ridiculous.

Get a grip.

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, Bob Log III, David Kitt, Ludovico Einaudi, DADDY LONG LEGS, The Prodigy, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, The Murder Capital, PJ Harvey, The Bonnevilles (w/Amy Montgomery, Rews, New Pagans), The Undertones (w/Buzzcocks), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Advertisement