Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-01-2017, 20:03   #211
MRnotlob606

See this thread is a little dead.

Anyway reading 'A Will To Power' a biography of Éamon De Valera. Written by the late Ronan Fanning (RIP).

Has received great reviews from eminent historians of Irish history such as Roy Foster, Charles Townshend and Diarmaid Ferritter.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-01-2017, 21:05   #212
Manach

I was trying to skill up on some military history, from the 17th-19th Century, and these are some interesting books:

T. Blanning, Frederick the Great, (Penguin, 2015)

John France, Perilous Glory: The Rise of Western Military Power, (Yale University Press, 2013)

Michael Howard, War in European History, (OUP Oxford; 1 edition 2001)

Piers Platt, From the Arquebus to the Breechloader, (Amazon Press, 2016) - Kindle

D. Showalter, Frederick the Great: A Military History, (Frontline Books, 2012)

M. Van Crevald, The Culture of War, ( Presidio Press, 2008 ).

Russell F. Weigley, The Age of Battles: The Quest for Decisive Warfare from Breitenfeld to Waterloo, (Indiana University Press, 2004)
Thanks from:
27-01-2017, 22:44   #213
laoch na mona

for the year thats in it Soviet Century by Moshe Lewin. A great read if you want an insight to the evolution of the USSR
(2) thanks from:
29-01-2017, 19:34   #214
MRnotlob606

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoch na mona View Post
for the year thats in it Soviet Century by Moshe Lewin. A great read if you want an insight to the evolution of the USSR
Might check that one out!
14-04-2017, 18:01   #215
bobbyss

Eminent Victorians Lytton Strachey. A good read. It is quite pacy.

Only read chapters on Florence Nightingale and General Gordon. Gordon used to write hundreds of letters and I often wonder how all these managed to be sent off and get back to England. The telegram was making its first appearance around this time too I think but am very much open to correction.

Frank Power, whom I have heard of before vaguely, died around the 1884 during Khartoum. He was a well respected Dublin journalist working, I think, for The Times.
Advertisement
15-04-2017, 08:48   #216
ilkhanid

the Caliphate-Hugh Kennedy. A history of the Muslim Caliphs in history and the evolution of that office to it's current meaning and the latest pretender to the Caliphate.

Prisoners of Geography:Ten Maps That Tell You Everything You Need to Know About Global Politics by Tim Marshall.

This book explains how the geographical situation of countries and regions dictates so much of their present historical and economic state.

Last edited by ilkhanid; 15-04-2017 at 08:52.
Thanks from:
30-04-2017, 15:21   #217
bobbyss

Am enjoying the First Casulty by Philip Knightley. It is about how wars were covered by journalists.

Interesting to note that he argues the father of war correspondents to be an Irishman called William Russell who reported from the Crimea. Another important war correspondent was another Irishman called Edwin Godkin. And an American of Irish extraction called MacGahan was an important correspondent whose (accurate) reports on the Russo-Turkish War were seen as highly important.

Has anyone read anything else by Knightely? He is very good.
Thanks from:
19-08-2018, 13:41   #218
Manach

The military history Hapsburg and Central Europe has been a topic I've been reading about of late and would recommend the following:
The Thirty year war by CV Wedgewood
Grand Strategy of the Hapsburg Empire by A Mitchell.
Thunder on the Danube, 1809 Campaign by John Gill.
24-08-2018, 18:38   #219
TomSweeney

I am in two minds between these 2 books about Ancient Egypt

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rise-Fall-A...+ancient+egypt

https://www.amazon.com/History-Ancie...E3805RRTP77CX8

Volume I version of the John Romer one ... the fact that it has a Volume II tells me it's pretty detailed and perhaps better for the student.

I as a lay reader on this subject might be better off with Toby Wilkinsons one - they both get good reviews though.

what do you think ?
Advertisement
30-10-2018, 13:02   #220
bobbyss

With a view to the upcoming anniversary of the War of Independence can anyone recommend a good comprehensive account?
05-12-2018, 10:26   #221
Thomas_IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyss View Post
With a view to the upcoming anniversary of the War of Independence can anyone recommend a good comprehensive account?
There's one I could recommend but I also recommend to read the review about it stated in the linked website:

http://www.theirishstory.com/2012/10.../#.XAelVU3QZKo

I have read it once and like in that review, the author takes some lenghts in some chapters on subjects which I found rather dismissive to my taste. Some details the author has some chapters extended with. But all in all, it gives you a different view on that time cos it covers the daily life of the ordinary people as well, not just having the focus on the usual Black & Tans vs. the IRA stories.

What I can tell from my book collection on Irish history about that specific time period is, that one has to pick up some various and several literature to read about it. But there might be some few in the book shops that cover the whole of it.

www.books.ie has a good listing of history books to select from.

It all depends on some special interest even on that subject and I must say that I have very often placed mine on Dublin and Michael Collins. Things have been a bit different in rural areas, but when you brows on the website of The Irish Story, you'll find many very interesting articles to plenty topics in Irish history.

I hold that above mentioned website as of the best in Ireland and highly recommendable.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion