Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Abbey127 wrote: »
    Hi has anyone in here built there own house, myself and my partner are hoping to build on land my parents own ,

Also do you just need to be in employment for 6 months with 6 months bank statements from your job . I have 10k saved up and my partner has 20k

Thanks in advance

In general yes, best thing to is sit down with your bank or mortgage adviser and they'll let you know what's required in your circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Hey

I'm just at the start of saving for a mortgage, I have one credit union loan for 9k that I need to reduce. I'm a single mother with one child and earn 55k from speaking to a mortgage broker he said that I could keep the loan and still get approved. I would like to try get an exemption to x4 so that I can buy something close to 250k, as I want to buy in north kildare. My thinking at the moment is to save as much as possible and have my deposit for the summer and then if bank request it clear the loan before I draw down. What is peoples experiences of doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

bulmersgal wrote: »
    Hey

I'm just at the start of saving for a mortgage, I have one credit union loan for 9k that I need to reduce. I'm a single mother with one child and earn 55k from speaking to a mortgage broker he said that I could keep the loan and still get approved. I would like to try get an exemption to x4 so that I can buy something close to 250k, as I want to buy in north kildare. My thinking at the moment is to save as much as possible and have my deposit for the summer and then if bank request it clear the loan before I draw down. What is peoples experiences of doing this?

You'll find it very difficult to get an exemption when you have other outstanding loans. The banks are much stricter on their affordability checks for exemptions. You'll need to have at a guess 2.5k - 3k per month after the mortgage stress tested at 5-6% and all other commitments. A mortgage of 200k at that rate could be over 1k per month depending on term so you'd have to have net income of 3.5k - 4k per month. To be honest I think you'll struggle if you don't remove all borrowings and show good savings history. It's still worth talking to the brokers and see what they can get for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I was going to say the same thing. Having a loan reduces what the bank thinks you can comfortable afford monthly and will therefore reduce the amount they are willing to lend you. I think you will struggle getting an exemption with an outstanding loan.

tobsey wrote: »
    You'll find it very difficult to get an exemption when you have other outstanding loans. The banks are much stricter on their affordability checks for exemptions. You'll need to have at a guess 2.5k - 3k per month after the mortgage stress tested at 5-6% and all other commitments. A mortgage of 200k at that rate could be over 1k per month depending on term so you'd have to have net income of 3.5k - 4k per month. To be honest I think you'll struggle if you don't remove all borrowings and show good savings history. It's still worth talking to the brokers and see what they can get for you.
    Woshy wrote: »
    I was going to say the same thing. Having a loan reduces what the bank thinks you can comfortable afford monthly and will therefore reduce the amount they are willing to lend you. I think you will struggle getting an exemption with an outstanding loan.

Thank you both for the advice, I think I will just try clear it before I go for the mortgage. I'm able to save 2.1k at the moment, so it would just set me back a few months which isn't the worst thing in the world. My net income is 3.4k excluding children allowance, I don't have any childcare expenses. So I should just about pass the stress test.

Another question I've signed up for a work pension so it will be getting reduced should I postpone this pension till I get the mortgage or what way does it work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Thank you both for the advice, I think I will just try clear it before I go for the mortgage. I'm able to save 2.1k at the moment, so it would just set me back a few months which isn't the worst thing in the world. My net income is 3.4k excluding children allowance, I don't have any childcare expenses. So I should just about pass the stress test.

Another question I've signed up for a work pension so it will be getting reduced should I postpone this pension till I get the mortgage or what way does it work.

When we got our mortgage the first time and things were a lot tighter the banks wanted a letter from my husband's job to say he could opt out of his pension. He couldn't, so that reduced the amount that the bank were willing to lend us. In your position, given our experience I would postpone it would not sure that's the best financial advice long-term! It's just what I'd do

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Techn0

Hi bulmersgal,

Just on the pension piece - I literally went through this myself very recently when speaking to a broker. Was looking for an exemption also and on my first round was denied. Broker said pension (was paying 7% of my gross) was going against my affordability. He recommended that I either:

1) Get a letter from my employer stating that the pension is voluntary (i.e. I'm paying at my discretion) and I can opt out at any time or;
    2) Reduce my pension payments for the time being to help with affordability

I ended up going with 2) even though it is the more costly option. I think the banks prefer to just see the extra income on the payslip rather than back and forth with letters etc.

Hope this helps.

Techn0 wrote: »
    Hi bulmersgal,

Just on the pension piece - I literally went through this myself very recently when speaking to a broker. Was looking for an exemption also and on my first round was denied. Broker said pension (was paying 7% of my gross) was going against my affordability. He recommended that I either:

1) Get a letter from my employer stating that the pension is voluntary (i.e. I'm paying at my discretion) and I can opt out at any time or;
    2) Reduce my pension payments for the time being to help with affordability

I ended up going with 2) even though it is the more costly option. I think the banks prefer to just see the extra income on the payslip rather than back and forth with letters etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much. Did you just cancel it before you went for the mortgage. My employer matches my contribution so I would like to keep it as long as I can and then just stop until mortgage is drawn down.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Techn0

Thanks so much. Did you just cancel it before you went for the mortgage. My employer matches my contribution so I would like to keep it as long as I can and then just stop until mortgage is drawn down.

I'm currently going through the mortgage process myself so opted out this month (with a view to drawing down in the summer). I'm essentially foregoing around 5 months of pension payments. I'm in the same boat, I'm losing out on my matched ER contributions and tax savings of my EE contributions. But it's a short term pain for a long term gain. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I have about €33k in a combination of savings and gift from parents, which I’m lucky to have. I’m on just under €60k in a very stable company, which I would have thought gave me a decent shot at an exemption.

However, spoke to 2 banks/brokers in the last week and the chances seem minimal. I don’t really understand how they calculate whether you should get one or not, and I’m a bit disappointed as my friend was easily granted one two years ago, on about €5k less than me at the time.

This gives me a mortgage of €202k, meaning my total budget is about €235k.

Ideally I want a 2 bed apartment, in cycling distance of work (<10km). There’s barely anything out there at the moment in this bracket on the northside.

Just feels like you’re totally screwed if you’re single, as if it’s not ****ty enough already.

Anyone else fed up of having their lives on hold in their 30s, saving for a shoebox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭smndly

Hi, does anyone know if banks take into account additional contract work? I have a salaried job but I often take up the option to do extra evening and weekend shifts as an independent contractor which is well paid. Will the bank look at 3.5 times my salary or 3.5 times my salary plus contracting income?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭lir6777

Shelga wrote: »
    I have about €33k in a combination of savings and gift from parents, which I’m lucky to have. I’m on just under €60k in a very stable company, which I would have thought gave me a decent shot at an exemption.

However, spoke to 2 banks/brokers in the last week and the chances seem minimal. I don’t really understand how they calculate whether you should get one or not, and I’m a bit disappointed as my friend was easily granted one two years ago, on about €5k less than me at the time.

This gives me a mortgage of €202k, meaning my total budget is about €235k.

Ideally I want a 2 bed apartment, in cycling distance of work (<10km). There’s barely anything out there at the moment in this bracket on the northside.

Just feels like you’re totally screwed if you’re single, as if it’s not ****ty enough already.

Anyone else fed up of having their lives on hold in their 30s, saving for a shoebox?

I hear you Shelga! It's really difficult as a single applicant, the house prices are way out of reach on your own if you want to be anywhere near one of the major cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aqn29swlgbmiu4

Hey Shelga, I'm in a similiar boat.
    It's so frustrating being penalised for being single.

I've been renting since I was 16 and have paid over 100 grand in rent to date, it's so frustrating that this isn't taken into account when trying to get a mortgage now.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭lir6777

Hey Shelga, I'm in a similiar boat.
    It's so frustrating being penalised for being single.

I've been renting since I was 16 and have paid over 100 grand in rent to date, it's so frustrating that this isn't taken into account when trying to get a mortgage now.

Oh that's a grim calculation :/ and rents only getting higher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Hi,
    I'm looking for a mortgage that I can pay lump sums off when I want (in addition to paying monthly repayments).
    I looked on bonkers.ie at all the different mortgage types available, but couldn't spot one that fits what I want.
    I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction please.
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

iba wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a mortgage that I can pay lump sums off when I want (in addition to paying monthly repayments).
    I looked on bonkers.ie at all the different mortgage types available, but couldn't spot one that fits what I want.
    Thanks.

A variable rate means you can pay off as much as you want whenever you want with no penalties. Some fixed rate mortgages (Ulster Bank and KBC are 2 I know of) allow you to pay off a certain amount with no breakage fees, others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Hi,
    Thanks.

You need a variable rate mortage - most if not all lenders offer them.

Im most cases, a fixed rate mortgage doesn't allow additional repayments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

If you book an appointment with a mortgage adviser in one of the banks, what will they go through with me? Basically all I want to know is if they'll give me a mortgage at my current level of savings in a few months time - will they do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

OEP wrote: »
    If you book an appointment with a mortgage adviser in one of the banks, what will they go through with me? Basically all I want to know is if they'll give me a mortgage at my current level of savings in a few months time - will they do this?

Yes, they can do it over the phone either. I rang them 5 months ago, they said you need to save x amount for 6 months and then you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

Hi,
    Thanks.
    I know bank of Ireland give the option of splitting the mortgage into 2 whereby one part is a fixed rate and the other is variable. You can then over pay the variable portion as much as you want without penalty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Daveone

I am in the market for a mortgage this year to buy a home with my partner. Thankfully we are in a good financial place for this, with good salaries, savings and no dependents (yet). We are both in our early 30s

I had until recently been quite steadfast in the idea that I did not want to go for a very long term mortgage (30 years +) as I didn't want that on my plate in my 60s. But are we better off going for a long term mortgage like this, to allow for a lower initial repayment, and then after the initial fixed period accelerate payments to cut the life span?

If I pay off a 30 year mortgage in 15-20, do I only pay the interest I have accrued?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

Hi,

looking for some opinions on income, I receive a yearly taxable allowance of 3000 euro which is taxable for health benefits. My company would not record this figure on my salary cert though as it is not guaranteed.

My question is would banks consider this as income? It can be seen on payslips for the last two years f employment. My broker said it needs to be on the cert but wondering if anyone has had similar and had income taken into account that wasn't on a salary cert?

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Daveone wrote: »
    I am in the market for a mortgage this year to buy a home with my partner. Thankfully we are in a good financial place for this, with good salaries, savings and no dependents (yet). We are both in our early 30s

I had until recently been quite steadfast in the idea that I did not want to go for a very long term mortgage (30 years +) as I didn't want that on my plate in my 60s. But are we better off going for a long term mortgage like this, to allow for a lower initial repayment, and then after the initial fixed period accelerate payments to cut the life span?

If I pay off a 30 year mortgage in 15-20, do I only pay the interest I have accrued?

Many thanks

Yes. Mortgage interest accrues daily, so if you pay a 30 year mortgage off in 15 years you have only paid 15 years worth of interest.

The advantage to taking a longer term mortgage and overpaying is that you have a safety net to fall back on if you ever need to reduce your payments for whatever reason, and you don't need the approval of the bank to do this.

The disadvantage is that if you want to overpay you may be limited by the interest rate options available to you. Generally, fixed terms either don't allow overpayments, or only allow overpaying by a certain percent. If you want to overpay by a lot (and paying a mortgage off in half the agreed time is overpaying by a lot) then you may have to stick to variable rates, which are not bad at all right now, but you're more immediately susceptible to rate changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

tolow wrote: »
    Hi,

looking for some opinions on income, I receive a yearly taxable allowance of 3000 euro which is taxable for health benefits. My company would not record this figure on my salary cert though as it is not guaranteed.

My question is would banks consider this as income? It can be seen on payslips for the last two years f employment. My broker said it needs to be on the cert but wondering if anyone has had similar and had income taken into account that wasn't on a salary cert?

No income has to be guaranteed for it to be counted. However AIB were willing to take 50% of my non-guaranteed income into account because I got it 3 years in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

awec wrote: »
    Yes. Mortgage interest accrues daily, so if you pay a 30 year mortgage off in 15 years you have only paid 15 years worth of interest.

The advantage to taking a longer term mortgage and overpaying is that you have a safety net to fall back on if you ever need to reduce your payments for whatever reason, and you don't need the approval of the bank to do this.

The disadvantage is that if you want to overpay you may be limited by the interest rate options available to you. Generally, fixed terms either don't allow overpayments, or only allow overpaying by a certain percent. If you want to overpay by a lot (and paying a mortgage off in half the agreed time is overpaying by a lot) then you may have to stick to variable rates, which are not bad at all right now, but you're more immediately susceptible to rate changes.

I know some banks allow you to put part of the mortgage on a fixed rate and part of it on variable, KBC offered this to us definitely and I think BOI might allow it too. So you can pay off whatever you like of the variable portion.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

Has anyone gotten an exception from kbc/ recently renewed their exception or just drawdown on a mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

ebayissues wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten an exception from kbc/ recently renewed their exception or just drawdown on a mortgage?

I haven't done either but wondering how long your exception lasts with KBC.

I've applied through a broker, not for an exception but wondering if we have approval in principle for no exception and then later ask for an exception is it like a new application?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

tolow wrote: »
    I haven't done either but wondering how long your exception lasts with KBC.

I've applied through a broker, not for an exception but wondering if we have approval in principle for no exception and then later ask for an exception is it like a new application?

I got an AIP which was an exception till the end of this month. Was going to renew it but wondering if anyone has done so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Boozybooze

Any advice for a single applicant. Ill be applying in three months time. No loans, moved back in with parents 12 months ago and been keeping my account squeaky clean for the last six months.

House Price: 195000
    Salary: 50K
    Savings when applying: 40K

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

Boozybooze wrote: »
    Any advice for a single applicant. Ill be applying in three months time. No loans, moved back in with parents 12 months ago and been keeping my account squeaky clean for the last six months.

House Price: 195000
    Salary: 50K
    Savings when applying: 40K

Thanks

Best advice we got was to prove we could afford the monthly repayment through savings. Like you, we had a lump sum so planned to save €1000 monthly. I called a broker to just run it by them and he said that our repayment would be €1400 based on how much we wanted to borrow, so to actually save €1700 to show we can more than afford it. Great advice I thought.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement