Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The wife was talking about this last night and just to act the bo11ix, I told her that I think teenage girls should be free to wear whatever revealing clothes they liked.

.............anyway, I'm no longer allowed inside the house. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

A new barbers is opening beside the Weeping Thaiger........; being renovated currently; it used to be a print shop. It's on your L.H.S. as you approach the bridge but before Corcorans; black shopfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

FHFM50 wrote: »
    New turkish barbers coming to castle hill street.

Could always do with more of them.
    Nokia6230i wrote: »
    A new barbers is opening beside the Weeping Thaiger........; being renovated currently; it used to be a print shop. It's on your L.H.S. as you approach the bridge but before Corcorans; black shopfront.

I assume it's the same one. Is there some kind on incentive payment for opening a barbers in Carlow?:D

I am not saying any of them in Carlow are being used for it but a lot barber shops are used for money laundering fill a shop full of young lads and it always looks busy and drug money is cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,284 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see the principal denies what was said in the petition and said all that was mentioned at the assembly was the PE classes were turning into a fashion show.

That was going on 30 years ago when I was in school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

In fairness I’d say the whole thing is completely overblown.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

fits wrote: »

Depends on if a teacher actually said that the revealing clothes were distracting for the male teachers.

I'm not convinced that a teacher said that, but it does change things if it was said.

fits wrote: »

Agree, it's like Chinese whispers now I'm waiting for the Sun or someone to come out with some provocative headline about male teachers grooming school girls :rolleyes:

Unfortunately the school did itself no favours by not nipping it in the bud straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    I refer to it as simply "the Pres." or the Presentation Sec. School but for any of you with kids there this Change.org e-Petition might be worth a gawk if it hasn't already been brought to your attention that is; it relates to a talk given on Friday by Year Heads/Dean of Discipline.

Saw a few tweets on it overnight Friday into Saturday & the 500 Mark has already been broken in space of less than 24 hours which, for a local e-Petition, is probably fairly impressive; I doubt, for example, there's even 500 in the school?

551 and counting as I type > https://www.change.org/p/students-across-ireland-sexism-against-female-students-in-school-by-the-staff-and-students?recruiter=1165229277&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_term=27915cf28cac4026ae7e1bddb7a9275b&recruited_by_id=89132210-2bf0-11eb-9d47-9149247c149a

Basically, as per content of it, female students from 1st Year (12-13 year olds) to 6th Years/Leaving Certs & told not to wear leggings or tight bottoms!!
    Male students weren't subjected to the same talk and this issue isn't been driven by male students either; it's being driven by both male & female staff which raises all sorts of uncomfortable issues about the sexualisng of what are, who are, minors, juveniles........

Apparently the kids, children, teenagers & young adults are displaying female anatomy by donning their attire; the male students weren't addressed regarding displaying their appendages/anatomy.......

The female student body is clearly being oppressed in the Pres.

I'm deeply uncomfortable for all sorts of reasons with this decision; it smacks of control; I'd be fuming if I were a parent.

I understand a dress code for P.E.; like you don't wear Farrah Slacks or a pair of jeans or work shoes, high-heels etc. but leggings & "tight pants" (which covers a whole gamut of lower leg coverings for men & women) are par for the course in any gym etc.

So, you like many have got this completely wrong. Are you going to correct the above.

This wasn't a "par for the course gym" as you call it. It was a school with a uniform and they weren't weaning it. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

So, you like many have got this completely wrong. Are you going to correct the above.

This wasn't a "par for the course gym" as you call it. It was a school with a uniform and they weren't weaning it. Simple as.

It’s a school with a uniform policy that applies to both sexes, of which both sexes we’re not following, yet they only saw fit to single out females & talk to them about it.

The school mismanaged the whole thing, apply it across the board or don’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

denis160 wrote: »
    It’s a school with a uniform policy that applies to both sexes, of which both sexes we’re not following, yet they only saw fit to single out females & talk to them about it.

The school mismanaged the whole thing, apply it across the board or don’t.

the school principle said they decided to only talk to female students as it was 'particularly the girls' who were coming to PE in non approved clothing. Didnt mention the boys. I dont think it as mismanaged - I think it was gossip mixed in with reality and then it got blown way out of proportion into an argument about sexism.

maccored wrote: »
    the school principle said they decided to only talk to female students as it was 'particularly the girls' who were coming to PE in non approved clothing. Didnt mention the boys. I dont think it as mismanaged - I think it was gossip mixed in with reality and then it got blown way out of proportion into an argument about sexism.

The principle said it was ‘primarily’ girls, not that it was only the girls, so it was a rule been broken by both male & female students, therefore they should have spoken to all students. Nor did the principle give any of the talks so he is also just been fed second hand info from the various school staff that did give the talks.
    Under no circumstances do I think it was acceptable how any of the teachers were spoken about online or in the school, but the school did not handle the situation as they should have & I do agree it was blown way out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Rosahane

denis160 wrote: »
    The principle said it was ‘primarily’ girls, not that it was only the girls, so it was a rule been broken by both male & female students, therefore they should have spoken to all students. Nor did the principle give any of the talks so he is also just been fed second hand info from the various school staff that did give the talks.
    Under no circumstances do I think it was acceptable how any of the teachers were spoken about online or in the school, but the school did not handle the situation as they should have & I do agree it was blown way out of proportion.

The problem is that the Principal is a teacher not a spin doctor! Do you want PR people running schools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

Hasn't this school had drama in the past? Something about a teacher quitting so he could go out with a 6th year, or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SeanKeat

Hi, does anyone know companies/businesses that make Xmas hampers around €70 mark. Online companies in that price range aren’t great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

SuperValu do them.
    You might see them at the farmers market either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

SeanKeat wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know companies/businesses that make Xmas hampers around €70 mark. Online companies in that price range aren’t great

The Dainty Teacup do them locally, you can set your own budget and what you want in it, on Facebook or Instagram.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Coolanowle on Dublin Street are doing hampers. https://coolanowlefoodhall.ie/

Nicola's embroidery (home of the Honesty Hut) will also make ones for you, she's in the former Superquinn centre at weekends, but is also on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/Nicolas-Embroidery-187815854581252

Has New York pizza opened? Seen they were doing the unit up when I was in the town a few weeks ago.

Drove passed today and it looks to be open. No idea on what the food is like but from looks alone it seems to be another bit of everything takeaway. Not so much a stone baked pizza type joint.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Drove passed today and it looks to be open. No idea on what the food is like but from looks alone it seems to be another bit of everything takeaway. Not so much a stone baked pizza type joint.

Sign in window/door saying opened from 6 O'Clock til 12 Midnight (was 2pm but it's scratched out/covered up); taking cash only & no menus but they are up on Just Eats.ie.

• Advertisement

SuperValu do them.
    You might see them at the farmers market either.

Thanks a mill

The Dainty Teacup do them locally, you can set your own budget and what you want in it, on Facebook or Instagram.

Thank you

Nicola's embroidery (home of the Honesty Hut) will also make ones for you, she's in the former Superquinn centre at weekends, but is also on Facebook

Thank you

Thank you

Rosahane wrote: »
    The problem is that the Principal is a teacher not a spin doctor! Do you want PR people running schools?

I don’t know what you mean by that to be honest 🀷*♀️

Harrys Turkish Barbers opened up opposite Dominos Pizza this morning > https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/385036226085376/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment

Turkish Barbers on Dublin St. also started business this morning.

O'Hara-Byrnes on Tullow St. are/is renting a chair > https://www.gumtree.ie/a-office-space-commercial/carlow/barber-shop-shared/1008466311660910356868009

As said before Mama Mias (formerly Umbertoes) on Dublin St. is becoming a Golden Grill (with the apartment upstairs for rent on DAFT currently too) and the Asian Street Food Shop/Restaurant/Takeway opening where Peri-Peris Grill House was on Dublin St.

And.....an Estate Agents opened in the unit that was Carlow Arts Festival office on Dublin St. beside Royal Hotel Car Park.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Malones Fruit Farm near Ballon will do up hampers s well- and you can provide alcohol to add in- might be handy , rather than paying a company their price for the drink.

So Dunnes've secured their injunction > https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2020/1203/1182176-dunnes-stores-mr-price-court/

The case is now adjourned til the New Year & Dunnes might bring a motion on what products constitute groceries since the term is so vague; as it is the injunction covers food which includes confectionery & bottled water.

Malones Fruit Farm near Ballon will do up hampers s well- and you can provide alcohol to add in- might be handy , rather than paying a company their price for the drink.

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Another new barbers open where little piggies and Barbero barbers was, it's called Crown Cutz. Staff look like they are all about 15 though haha

Advertisement