Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Unfortunately I’d heard about a month ago that Riber Island were closing. Hopefully just relocating actually be good to see them in showgounds even. The old dunnes unit nearly would have been ideal for a grocery store you’d have thought.

Yep I heard the same they were due to close.

No one is buying clothes as they've no events to go to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Loughc wrote: »
    Yep I heard the same they were due to close.

No one is buying clothes as they've no events to go to.

Everyone to busy staying local staying safe and staying at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Some good news, I think.

Martin's Fruit and Veg are getting ready to reopen with a revamped shop.

Behind the shuttering it looks lke Parkes Chemist with its vintage shopfront has been fully restored. Don't know about a reopening date though.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Maymack

Daybreak will operate the new retail outlet to replace River Island on O Connell Street. Planning reference number is 201372 in Tipperary County Council section on eplanning.ie. Images of proposed development are in the planning application.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Lightscribe

It's a pity to see River Island closing and I'd have my doubts about the viability of a Daybreak in the middle of town with Deals as neighbours.

Hope to be proven wrong

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It's a pity to see River Island closing and I'd have my doubts about the viability of a Daybreak in the middle of town with Deals as neighbours.

Hope to be proven wrong

Completely agree. Can’t see them getting the passing trade they need to stay afloat. Remember the newsagent that was on Gladstone street around where boots is now. That didn’t last too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Completely agree. Can’t see them getting the passing trade they need to stay afloat. Remember the newsagent that was on Gladstone street around where boots is now. That didn’t last too long.
    i was in Conmel one day and it was there, a few weeks later i passed and it was gone

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I’ve seen a few small shops popping up on main streets lately. The main thing that keeps them a float is if they’ve a good enough deli counter.

i was in Conmel one day and it was there, a few weeks later i passed and it was gone

I have no memory of a newsagents there:eek:

When was this (mind you I find that increasingly common)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

cml387 wrote: »

Thank god it’s not just me! I don’t recall it either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

jlm29 wrote: »
    Thank god it’s not just me! I don’t recall it either!

They opened and closed very quickly I’d say they weren’t even open 6 months. Boots seemingly came in with a big offer for the building at the time.

I think they are there with 17 years so I can understand how memory could be hazy.

I think they are there with 17 years so I can understand how memory could be hazy.

After doing some research so you don't have to, I discovered an application for a Mace shop in 2002. It must have been short lived as an application from Boots came in 2003.

On the subject of the new shop, it may do well given the number of apartments in close proximity with no general grocer, especially if it also has an offie (which I believe is the plan).

cml387 wrote: »

Early 00's. It wasn't really a news agent more a mini mart shop. They may have had papers too though

I would imagine that many more won’t survive.

Early 00's. It wasn't really a news agent more a mini mart shop. They may have had papers too though

They did indeed sell papers that’s where I used to go get my 11am break newspaper.

They did indeed sell papers that’s where I used to go get my 11am break newspaper.

Had they Christmas decorations?

ok i was only in there once,it was empty

Have to say the Christmas lights are very impressive this year especially o Connell Street Mitchell Street and Parnell Street. Well done to all involved.

• Advertisement

Will there be any Christmas fairs held this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭tiegan

Will there be any Christmas fairs held this year?

Fethard having an open air xmas market Friday 11th December - stalls booked through Fethard Horse Country Experience.

https://www.facebook.com/FHCExperience/photos/a.250365488764314/1085213821946139

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Have to say the Christmas lights are very impressive this year especially o Connell Street Mitchell Street and Parnell Street. Well done to all involved.

They are very nice this year and the new additions in Upper O Connell St. look really well. I wonder if they will be putting a few more in lower O Connell St?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭touts

Edinburgh Woolen Mills have big "Closing Down Sale" posters in their windows.

touts wrote: »
    Edinburgh Woolen Mills have big "Closing Down Sale" posters in their windows.

All 56 of their stores closing in Ireland and UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Is the Blue Beret Cafe still operating at the railway station? And, does anybody in the town use the railway anymore? Thanks. :)

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Is the Blue Beret Cafe still operating at the railway station? And, does anybody in the town use the railway anymore? Thanks. :)

Not sure about the Bleu beret but I think it's closed.

My evening walk corresponds to the passing of the 17:10 to Limerick Junction and I sometimes see a person on board. Maybe even two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

Post 24, Irish United Nations Veterans Association (IUNVA) has control over the Railway Station building, Post 24 along with the Blue Beret Cafe have suspended activities due to Covid-19, the building is still being utuilised by the Clonmel community Soup Kitchen and Free Food Bank, who are doing great work there every week.

Irish Rail have absolutely neglected the line to a shameful extent. Having said that pre covid the evening train from Dublin via LJ which got into Clonmel around 19.50 was reasonably busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Yes very impressive. Drove down through the town yesterday evening coming back from Cahir. I especially like how they have decorated the trees on either side
    Top class.

Advertisement