Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VRT on new camper

• 11-11-2020 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Im interested in importing a 2019 California Coast (v basic) but cannot work out how VRT might be charged

Does anybody know how VRT is calculated? I know its 13.3% of the estimated value of the camper but can't work out how its calculated

For example Im looking at the VW product info for a new California Coast

RRP of €61,655 less discount of 8% (as per the way cars are charged) would lead to VRT at 13.3% of €7544

i.e. 61655 * .92 * .133 = €7544

VW state that the ex vat price is 44,855, VAT is €7379 and VRT is a massive €9419 or basically 2k more than my simple maths would estimate it. Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Where did you get your 8% discount figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Is there a nox charge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Casati

Where did you get your 8% discount figure?

Its typical for calculation of VRT on new cars so Im guessing campers might follow the same process. Even if you assume zero discount the VRT should be much less than VW have presented

I know the difference can't be NOX as that only applies to Category A vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Unfortunately you can't estimate the cost of VRT on campers with any degree of certainty.
    It is far from a transparent process and is ultimately up to Revenue to decide what the OMSP is for that model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Casati

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Unfortunately you can't estimate the cost of VRT on campers with any degree of certainty.
    It is far from a transparent process and is ultimately up to Revenue to decide what the OMSP is for that model.

Surely they can’t have an OMSP higher than the manufacturers un- discounted price can they???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Casati wrote: »
    Surely they can’t have an OMSP higher than the manufacturers un- discounted price can they???
    You would think not but the best way to find out is to find some similar models for sale in the UK and then work out a figure from them to Euro and the VRT off that.
    I take it that there is no 2019 ones for sale here?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 scoopdog

Folks, im thinking of buying a Mitsubishi Delica in the UK, can i bring it into ireland , declare it off the road and converet it to a camper.

Can i then apply for the MH tax, or do i need pay the tax as it came into the country , then leave it off rodd for 6/8 months while i convert and then register as a MH-camper ??

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

scoopdog wrote: »
    Folks, im thinking of buying a Mitsubishi Delica in the UK, can i bring it into ireland , declare it off the road and converet it to a camper.

Can i then apply for the MH tax, or do i need pay the tax as it came into the country , then leave it off rodd for 6/8 months while i convert and then register as a MH-camper ??

check if you can insure it as camper first I think you'd find it hard to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You have to convert it to Irish plates within 30 days of import. So just do the absolute basics to get it classified as a MH and once you have it registered then you can declare it off the road.

As spaceHopper said insurance could be a bigger issue

• Registered Users Posts: 21 scoopdog

Agh OK, it might be an idea to just import it and leave as is, only downside to this is the yearly TAX, i'm looking for the petrol 3 litre as the NOX is low, a diesel import i'd be slaughtered on. Dont mind it being petrol as its literally only going to be a camping vehicle...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Agh OK, it might be an idea to just import it and leave as is, only downside to this is the yearly TAX, i'm looking for the petrol 3 litre as the NOX is low, a diesel import i'd be slaughtered on. Dont mind it being petrol as its literally only going to be a camping vehicle...:)

If you leave it commercial you'll have to tax it privately which is on the old cc system and it will be €1494 for a 3l :eek:

Advertisement