Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lack of lighting at junctions: How to complain

• 08-11-2018 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

I hear alot of this "surveys show the lighting isn't needed" without any information on their sources. Personally i find the lights being off quite dangerous. In addition, its much easier for one to miss their exit now.

How does one get the voice across that just switching them off with next to no public consultation is not on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I hear alot of this "surveys show the lighting isn't needed" without any information on their sources. Personally i find the lights being off quite dangerous. In addition, its much easier for one to miss their exit now.

How does one get the voice across that just switching them off with next to no public consultation is not on?

http://www.tii.ie/news/press-releases/Motorway-junction-lighting/Technical-Information-Note-Energy-Reduction-for-TII-WEbsite.docx.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have to agree with the OP on this one. I do mostly motorway mileage and the "benefits" of having most of the junction and slip road in darkness is beyond me.

It's grand on the stretches in between as it's really just driving straight (even though lots can't seem manage that), but with cars slowing, changing lanes (often at the last minute) and so on, having the lights off seems stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

A lot of studies have been done on this.

No benefits were found of having such a high number of lights and it was found that the light fixtures themselves were hazards.

Do some Google search and you'll find several extensive reports from various countries including UK, Canada, Sweden, Germany etc.

Initially it's strange if you are used to having the lighting, but after a while you don't notice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Are we talking about motorways, where the only vehicles allowed use the road have to have fixed mounted lights?

If your lights aren't good enough, slow down, and get better lights

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I have recently driven the M7 where the lighting at junctions has been significantly reduced. I didn't take any exits between J29 and the M50.

For people on the mainline not exiting, there is no need of lighting as you are driving away as if there was no junction, and any merging car will be fully lit.

When exiting, there is still full lighting at the roundabout or whatever else the junction is comprised of.

The one area I would hope to see lighting remain (and I'm not sure what the story is) is at the Moneygall (J23) and Roscrea (J22) junctions as these are quite dangerous if unlit due to the sharp turns involved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement