Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

How's it going Roosterman. With those times and sensible training a time of 3:45 should not be the limit of your ambitions.. I did 3:47 off slower times then than you have now and judging by the little bundle you are expecting I'm giving you a few years!! Hahaha. I really like that you are doing training based on heart rate if only for no other reason than it's a great way of not running easy runs too fast. Please do keep posting your training and any races you might do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

She thinks I'm crazy of course but I've convinced her the long runs would be only around 3 hours so I might just get away with it :D

Yes but there’s getting to where you are running and back again if not running from your house and shower and food after too ;) You might need to be prepared to be flexible the odd time. I’ve two young kids myself, the youngest is 2, and it’s just a case of more logistics at times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Former novice here (still a novice in reality!) and one who DEFINITELY found this hard to believe this time last year. I would go out on long runs and think 'this pace is a piece of p1ss, id definitely hold this pace in the marathon' and I was running faster then MP! Trust this theory, please!! Skyblue is a perfect example of it.

I ran too fast in training, and I got injured as a result of it. I still had one of the best days of my life on the day tho, but please keep the easy runs easy, dont try impress anyone with mad paces on Strava. Otherwise youll end up like me on here moaning about a dodgy knee for months! :pac:

Just to add to Damo and Skyblue's learning, there were a good few people in sick bay last year at various points, and fairly late on in the training too.

For now your main target should be to get the start line in good shape, consistency is your friend for this and for avoiding injury. Ever stretch a rubber band and it snaps against your skin? Training too fast might hit you back like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Just to add to Damo and Skyblue's learning, there were a good few people in sick bay last year at various points, and fairly late on in the training too.

For now your main target should be to get the start line in good shape, consistency is your friend for this and for avoiding injury. Ever stretch a rubber band and it snaps against your skin? Training too fast might hit you back like that.

Never a truer word spoken, i got injured on the last long run before the taper, with 3 weeks to go it was major panic stations but thankfully i made it to the start line - the lesson is that getting to the start line is as challenging, if not more challenging, than getting to the finish line! It's a marathon and not a sprint you're training for, you'll be hearing this regularly ;)

Welcome roosterman and congrats on the impending arrival. Lazare from last year's novices group will be able to let you in a bit on what to expect when the new arrival comes ;) There's absolutely no doubt late July and onward will be a busy time for you and you'll find yourself pulled in many different directions but you'll also find that everyone is juggling real life with running so you'll get plenty of tips on how to make it work, you're already doing a lot of your training at lunchtime which is a great start. As the mid-week run gets a bit longer you may not be able to fit it in at lunch-time so it might be worth giving some thought to how you might fit that in. Your times are very impressive but make sure you're not racing every run you do - this is especially true if/when you start running with a group at lunchtime, make sure the paces suit you and you're not over-reaching every run as this is a fast track to injury and burn out. Have you thought about what plan you might follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Yeah I have a plan done up, based on the Hal Higdon intermediate one. Bad news is that the long run is Sunday, and there is another longish one on Saturday. So I'll probably need to rejig that to a Friday cos I wouldn't have time on Saturday for up to 2 hours running! If the lunch time stuff doesn't fit in, I can go morning or evening anyway. The lunch ones are grand as I'd have company for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Yeah I have a plan done up, based on the Hal Higdon intermediate one. Bad news is that the long run is Sunday, and there is another longish one on Saturday. So I'll probably need to rejig that to a Friday cos I wouldn't have time on Saturday for up to 2 hours running! If the lunch time stuff doesn't fit in, I can go morning or evening anyway. The lunch ones are grand as I'd have company for them

Roosterman, out of interest what sort of distances are you covering during your lunch time run? I work in Dublin city centre and can just about squeeze in a 10k run on my lunch break. Good to get a run like that out of the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭roosterman71

coogy wrote: »
    Roosterman, out of interest what sort of distances are you covering during your lunch time run? I work in Dublin city centre and can just about squeeze in a 10k run on my lunch break. Good to get a run like that out of the way!

Normally between 5 and 10k. Could push to 12 but that would be cheeky :D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ASISEEIT

Im thinking of doing the DCM in Oct. When Do I have to register? Am I nuts??

Have run four half marathons in Dublin over last two years. I am running about 14-17 miles a week. Not in a running club.
    Am I nuts? Is running a marathon worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rossi7

Just a quick question guys regarding the LSR, I went out last night and done 16.5k, I tried to keep an avg of 6.30 per k as it felt easy and slow. I know the saying that if it feels slow go slower. But as I don't have any goal specific time at the minute what sort of pace should I be looking to do the LSR

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Just a quick question guys regarding the LSR, I went out last night and done 16.5k, I tried to keep an avg of 6.30 per k as it felt easy and slow. I know the saying that if it feels slow go slower. But as I don't have any goal specific time at the minute what sort of pace should I be looking to do the LSR

Hi rossi, good question! If you have a recent enough race time (for you I'd say your 10k time) you can use a calculator such as McMillan to get an idea of training paces? Or if you don't have a race time then use a time from a run where you know the distance and you really pushed yourself - a time trial of sorts. For those with no clue as to current paces then i'd suggest sign up to a race or do a park run in the next 6 weeks as a starting point.

Just a note for everyone as you mention goal time - you should be training to your current fitness or in other words your training paces should be based on current fitness and not on your goal time/fitness, let that pace come to you with increased fitness/endurance over time rather than you push yourself to train at it just yet.

16.5k is a great distance to be doing at this stage and it's great that you're keeping easy & slow in check as well, well done :)

• Advertisement

ASISEEIT wrote: »

Have run four half marathons in Dublin over last two years. I am running about 14-17 miles a week. Not in a running club.

I think we all seem a little bit nuts to others :D

Is it worth it? It was worth it to me but only you can decide if it's something you think will be worth it for you. No doubt it takes a lot of commitment, the training is the hard part, the motivation has to be there as there will be times you will struggle.

Your weekly mileage is ok as a base and those 4 HMs will stand to you but the mileage will increase significantly, you will need to be in a position to give over more time to running. It's a decision only you can make. You should also discuss it with any significant other(s) who may also need to make sacrifices to support you in your goal.

With respect to registering i believe it usually sells out in around June/July but I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I don’t know of anybody who has done it that has regretted it and there is an incredible sense of achievement BUT it requires training and you have to have the motivation to do that or else the day could be a nightmare.

Why do you want to run a marathon? Are you prepared to do the training and put in the time? Did you enjoy the half marathons and more importantly the training?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

I just inputted details on McMillan and even though I thought my long runs were snails pace, they are still at least 30 secs faster than what they are suggesting. I guess slow down?! Does it really work!? Seems mad.

effibear wrote: »
    I just inputted details on McMillan and even though I thought my long runs were snails pace, they are still at least 30 secs faster than what they are suggesting. I guess slow down?! Does it really work!? Seems mad.
    Yes it does really work. And believe it or not, McMillan isn't even the most conservative pace calculator out there but it is the one that accompanies the Boards plan.

There are lots of articles, like this one, on the subject. The marathon is just that, a marathon and not a sprint, you want to train smart, stay injury free, and build a strong aerobic base, the more easy miles you can run the better your endurance come race day. Running easy miles improves heart and lung function AND puts less stress on the ligaments and tendons that are vulnerable to injury at higher intensities. Believe it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

ariana` wrote: »
    Yes it does really work. And believe it or not, McMillan isn't even the most conservative pace calculator out there but it is the one that accompanies the Boards plan.

There are lots of articles, like this one, on the subject. The marathon is just that, a marathon and not a sprint, you want to train smart, stay injury free, and build a strong aerobic base, the more easy miles you can run the better your endurance come race day. Running easy miles improves heart and lung function AND puts less stress on the ligaments and tendons that are vulnerable to injury at higher intensities. Believe it :)

Thanks for that. Makes sense, hard to break the thoughts of I really should be going faster/further/stronger. That will be my homework for the next few weeks!

Had a look at the boards plan, think I’ll be following that. It’s great that you’ve colour coded and indicated the intensity the runs should be at. Looking forward to starting... I think :-)

effibear wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Makes sense, hard to break the thoughts of I really should be going faster/further/stronger. That will be my homework for the next few weeks!

Had a look at the boards plan, think I’ll be following that. It’s great that you’ve colour coded and indicated the intensity the runs should be at. Looking forward to starting... I think :-)

You'll do great. It's very exciting, i personally can't wait for the plans to start as then when things will really take off in these parts ;)

Hi Rossi. You'd be a bit of an anomaly a present :pac: Your 5 and 10k times are so out of kilter with each other. It could be that your training was good for 5k improvement but lacked an endurance element suited to 10k. Your 5k time would indicate a 45/46 minute 10k would soon be possible. Based on your 5k time I would be happy to see you do long runs at 6:00/6:15 pace. I wouldn't suggest jumping into 16k distance at this pace yet. Try a 10k at this pace and see if it still feels very easy. It's important that you learn to differentiate between what's genuinely easy on the body (almost feels like a slow jog) and what is an effort that is comfortable yet you know you are 'running'.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

ariana` wrote: »

I love that most of the training runs will be slow ones. Suits me just fine being a plodder :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

Hi all,

not exactly a novice as this will be my third dublin marathon, but i did my last one in 2013 and have struggled with injuries over the last 4-5 years but managed to get through 3 half marathons last year so im really hoping to get through the next 5 months ok!!

These threads were awesome in the years i have done DCM especially as i train alone, the camaraderie is great and also the knowledge sharing

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    DCM 3:44 (2013)
    Half 1:36 (2013)
    10k 40:20 (Apr '18)
    5k 19:53 (2015)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    Nope
    How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Run 3 times a week, one intervals, one tempo and one long run
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Hoping to get through training without getting injured, Timewise i'd hope based on my recent 10k time to do it in 3:20-3:30
    How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Thinking of trying the FIRST plan as i can only do 3 runs a week
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    INJURY.....Damn you weak ankles!!!
    Why are you running this marathon?
    2011 DCM was horrendous I hit the wall hard and struggled for last 6 miles (undertrained and it showed). 2013 was fun but i had a hamstring strain for the few weeks leading up to it and ran within myself, I'd like to see how i would do without any limiting factors.

Hi imknackered, i really hope you aren't too knackered yet or it's going to be a rough few months :pac: Very impressive background! I don't know if you know but there's also a marathon improvers thread also which may suit you but of course you're more than welcome to hang out here, you may even be able to teach us recent novice mentors a thing or two ;)

It sounds like you're in a good place on the injury front recently but as i've been saying already on here the key to keeping those injuries at bay is conservative pacing. Do you do much/any strength & conditioning work? A good Pilates class or something along those lines would be great for you too especially when you are injury prone.

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »

Hi Rossi. You'd be a bit of an anomaly a present :pac: Your 5 and 10k times are so out of kilter with each other. It could be that your training was good for 5k improvement but lacked an endurance element suited to 10k. Your 5k time would indicate a 45/46 minute 10k would soon be possible. Based on your 5k time I would be happy to see you do long runs at 6:00/6:15 pace. I wouldn't suggest jumping into 16k distance at this pace yet. Try a 10k at this pace and see if it still feels very easy. It's important that you learn to differentiate between what's genuinely easy on the body (almost feels like a slow jog) and what is an effort that is comfortable yet you know you are 'running'.
    Thanks for that, I haven't "raced" a 10k really as such. That 10k pb I put up was a training run so I need to look at entering a 10k to see where I'm at regards that distance. I knocked off another 8 secs off that 5k time on Sunday at the Tallaght AC 5k. I've gradually upped my distances over the past 2-3 months so my training has been a bit random but I've trained 3-4 days most weeks.
    Is there some sort of plan I could follow at the minute that would bring me up to the marathon cycle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

Hi Ariana, Juggling work, kids and running i'm always knackered but looking forward to some good training over the next while. Still feel like quite the novice when it comes to marathons as i still do silly things like overtraining.

Since last summer i've been doing work on a wobble board and some strengthening exercises a few times a week which has helped a lot. I definitely plan on keeping that work up over the summer. I've tried to bring in some pilates work to build up my core to help hamstrings etc. this will probably become more important as the training ramps up.

Thanks for that, I haven't "raced" a 10k really as such. That 10k pb I put up was a training run so I need to look at entering a 10k to see where I'm at regards that distance. I knocked off another 8 secs off that 5k time on Sunday at the Tallaght AC 5k. I've gradually upped my distances over the past 2-3 months so my training has been a bit random but I've trained 3-4 days most weeks.
    Is there some sort of plan I could follow at the minute that would bring me up to the marathon cycle ?

Good to get a PB on such a warm day. Well done. There isn't a plan here but it sounds like you're doing grand as it is. Between now and the beginning of the plan I'd work on getting a consistent easy pace for your 16/18k long run as one of your weekly runs. Ideally if you could do 4 days a week I'd throw in 2 easy runs of 4/5 miles and a 25/30 minute tempo run at 4:50-5:00 mins per K.

Good to get a PB on such a warm day. Well done. There isn't a plan here but it sounds like you're doing grand as it is. Between now and the beginning of the plan I'd work on getting a consistent easy pace for your 16/18k long run as one of your weekly runs. Ideally if you could do 4 days a week I'd throw in 2 easy runs of 4/5 miles and a 25/30 minute tempo run at 4:50-5:00 mins per K.
    Thanks skyblue46, I'll work off that until we got going. I'm sure I will have more question beforehand to annoy you with ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

You're asking the wrong people :D to answer your question nope not nuts :) register whenever you want, just do it sooner rather than later as it will sell out soon

Oh and you are running more per week than I was when I decided to run the marathon ;)

Thanks skyblue46, I'll work off that until we got going. I'm sure I will have more question beforehand to annoy you with ;)

That's what we're here for. :D It'll be questions, questions and more questions from now until DCM. Then the questions will continue...and I'm 12 months since being in your shoes but no let up in how many questions I have yet! :pac:

It'd be great if you, and everyone else, post details of your runs so we can see how each of us are getting on. A training log is another option.

That's what we're here for. :D It'll be questions, questions and more questions from now until DCM. Then the questions will continue...and I'm 12 months since being in your shoes but no let up in how many questions I have yet! :pac:

It'd be great if you, and everyone else, post details of your runs so we can see how each of us are getting on. A training log is another option.
    Will do, I better follow the plans now the eyes are on me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

I started a training log this week myself, I reckon I'll start posting a weekly update of my runs in this thread too so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It'd be great if you, and everyone else, post details of your runs so we can see how each of us are getting on.

I'll wade in on this. Currently in week 9 of 12 of a Half Marathon plan. My week generally looks something like this:

Monday: Rest
    Tues: 3m Easy
    Wed: 5m (Even weeks Easy, odd weeks Pace)
    Thurs: 3m Easy
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: Long Run (e.g. 10 miles this week).
    Sun: Rest

I've heard that keeping your easy runs 60-90 seconds/mile slower than your pace run is the way to go?

I've been doing my Easy runs and Long run around 10:30 min/mile and my pace runs around 9:09. Hoping to go sub 2:00 for the Half Marathon, so I'll need to maintain 9:09 for the duration. I'll only have done 5 miles at that pace before the race tho, it's daunting thinking I'll have to keep that pace up for another 8 miles...

Should the pace for your Easy runs be the same as for your Long runs tho?? Always confused by this!

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »
    I'll wade in on this. Currently in week 9 of 12 of a Half Marathon plan. My week generally looks something like this:

Monday: Rest
    Tues: 3m Easy
    Wed: 5m (Even weeks Easy, odd weeks Pace)
    Thurs: 3m Easy
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: Long Run (e.g. 10 miles this week).
    Sun: Rest

I've heard that keeping your easy runs 60-90 seconds/mile slower than your pace run is the way to go?

I've been doing my Easy runs and Long run around 10:30 min/mile and my pace runs around 9:09. Hoping to go sub 2:00 for the Half Marathon, so I'll need to maintain 9:09 for the duration. I'll only have done 5 miles at that pace before the race tho, it's daunting thinking I'll have to keep that pace up for another 8 miles...

Should the pace for your Easy runs be the same as for your Long runs tho?? Always confused by this!

How's it going. Paces for long runs vary according to plans but for novice runners they shouldn't be faster than your easy runs. Keep them at a pace that you could chat away if someone was with you without having to pause to grab a breath.

Have you done any races recently? Training paces should be based on where you are now fitness wise not on any target time in the future.

Is the plan your own or one you picked up elsewhere? If it's any comfort I recently did a half and had not done 30 minutes at pace in any one training run. I had doubts too about my ability to hold it for another 70 minutes but it worked out on the day. It's about the accumulation of your training.

Advertisement