Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How old is too old to return to study GAMSAT and Grad Med ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

TallGlass wrote: »
    Is it any level 8 degree? Is there any difference doing one route over the other. The LC stuff, I am just really struggling with Irish for starters, haven't even looked at another EU language, English is a mountain too but achievable.

Yeah any lvl 8 as long as you pass the gamsat. I Dont know older ppl who went back and repeated LC.
    I know of a lot of ppl who went for lvl 8 and then on to medicine with gamsat, I did med chem so a gd few went on, with some that was always the plan.

I know most of the sciences are 4 years for a lvl 8 but I'm almost sure some business courses are 3years. Worth looking into.
    Only problem is doing the lvl 8 will be subsidised but furthering onto medicine it will be 15k/year (that ballpark in Ireland anyway). If you factor in loss of what income you're on now, plus atleast 7 (3 for degree and 4 for medicne) years living expenses and college fees.. it adds up.. I'd say it's doable though especially if you have access to credit/have savings and work parttime/over summers. That's also assuming there's no fails and you hit the gamsat points when you need for that year.

I'd say it would be some.rollercoaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Some rollercoaster! LC route is hard but the positives if maybe less time and fees be less?

Level 8, hard again, structured and I will have a degree, longer time and then fees loss of earnings, unless I pick something up part time?

With a level 8, do I bypass so to speak the educational requirements like Irish. HL Bio Chem etc..

I don't want anyone to think I am trying to skip, but if it's something I want to do then time is against me here.

Some rollercoaster! LC route is hard but the positives if maybe less time and fees be less?

Level 8, hard again, structured and I will have a degree, longer time and then fees loss of earnings, unless I pick something up part time?

With a level 8, do I bypass so to speak the educational requirements like Irish. HL Bio Chem etc..

I don't want anyone to think I am trying to skip, but if it's something I want to do then time is against me here.

I'd look at the most financially viable option and then read around requirements for each college. Also don't rule out other eu countries, a lot of universities teach through english on the continent and are cheaper to live there and fees maybe cheaper too. Regarding the science, you're gonna need to learn it one way or another.

If I was in your situation I'd prob go the college route, you can always think, **** this and leave with a cert/diploma or whenever.. plus if you did it in your current field it would add to your cv even if you decided not to progress to medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Is there a mature entry route for people with no degree or leaving cert?

Repeating leaving cert would be faster and cheaper. If you have no degree then you'd be entitled to free fees for medicine. One year to repeat the LC and get the points as opposed to 4 years for an undergraduate degree and then 60k fees to do grad med.

Have you considered eastern Europe?
    They'd take pretty much anyone there if you are willing to pay. Plenty of English speaking medicine schools in Czech Bulgaria Hungary and Romania to name a few.

Is there a mature entry route for people with no degree or leaving cert?.

No I don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Is there a mature entry route for people with no degree or leaving cert?

Repeating leaving cert would be faster and cheaper. If you have no degree then you'd be entitled to free fees for medicine. One year to repeat the LC and get the points as opposed to 4 years for an undergraduate degree and then 60k fees to do grad med.

Have you considered eastern Europe?
    They'd take pretty much anyone there if you are willing to pay. Plenty of English speaking medicine schools in Czech Bulgaria Hungary and Romania to name a few.

I know a lad who didn't have a 2.1 in his level 8 so GEM was out for him. Mid to late 20s went back to do the LC. Did the HPAT & think he did well on that and did well in the interview and was offered a place as a mature student (in the undergrad programme) before he even sat the LC. That said, he did have to do the LC after. He paid 9k for 5 years I think

The LC route is not the worst of the options, however I would really struggle with the language side of things. The sciences I would be fine with, find that it interesting.

From my calculations it's around 550 points minimum needed, so there is little to no room for error and or lack of knowledge in any area, so that's where I am stopped at the moment, I would need minimums in Irish/French at OL, would have to meet them. I have even been playing with the idea lately of Danish or German, as they are from same family as English (well German anyway), but then Spanish is apparently easy to pick up. However unlike the sciences or English even, YouTube is a great resource to pick up where your not sure, but it falls down then for the languages, so trying to fork out 30€ a pop for grinds is going to run into some bill.

Going in as a Post Grad, I could pick up a IT degree fairly handy in IT management as that's nearly my role at the moment. Could do it part time, however I would be picking up the tab on that, which is quite expensive from researching about 3.5/4k a year, then not sure but would be picking up the tab again on med for 15k a year (provided I get in that is). Then there is a niggling thoughts in back of my mind, that part time degrees might no be counted for post grad entry?

Regards EE, I have thought about it. I don't think that it would be for me to be honest.

The LC route is not the worst of the options, however I would really struggle with the language side of things. The sciences I would be fine with, find that it interesting.

From my calculations it's around 550 points minimum needed, so there is little to no room for error and or lack of knowledge in any area, so that's where I am stopped at the moment, I would need minimums in Irish/French at OL, would have to meet them. I have even been playing with the idea lately of Danish or German, as they are from same family as English (well German anyway), but then Spanish is apparently easy to pick up. However unlike the sciences or English even, YouTube is a great resource to pick up where your not sure, but it falls down then for the languages, so trying to fork out 30€ a pop for grinds is going to run into some bill.

Going in as a Post Grad, I could pick up a IT degree fairly handy in IT management as that's nearly my role at the moment. Could do it part time, however I would be picking up the tab on that, which is quite expensive from researching about 3.5/4k a year, then not sure but would be picking up the tab again on med for 15k a year (provided I get in that is). Then there is a niggling thoughts in back of my mind, that part time degrees might no be counted for post grad entry?

Regards EE, I have thought about it. I don't think that it would be for me to be honest.

Honestly from your starting point it seems a bit daunting. Especially when you haven't studied third level before and know what's involved. FIor instance, no matter what you find i nteresring it eill be made to be bot fun at all.
    I found med chem alright although I did say after 4th year that i never want ed to sit another exam ever again .. that feeling has somewhat m disappeared and im doing a masters... but the thoughts of medicine, a notch up form science.. gawd, tired just thinking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

This looks like the best option for yourself;

http://www.ucd.ie/all/cometoucd/applying/accesscourses/accesstoscienceengineeringagriculture/

Doing well enough in that along with the HPAT should allow you to apply for this;

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/admissions/MY_DN400.html

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Here is further information;

https://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/Brochure%20High%20Res.pdf

I only skimmed through it, never actually heard of this myself, must be new. Looks like you don’t necessarily need LC, do the prep course one year part time @ €1800. Get a min gpa of 3.08 which is a 2.1 overall and a first in their chem science module, with a HPAT 150 min. Then you have to do a 750 word reflective journal presumably on why you want to be a doc.

They take 2 of the applicants into undergrad medicine, although how competitive that is, I don’t know, didn’t actually spot how many they take into the access course!

• Advertisement

Skimmed it earlier alright!

2 people is really low, that is some gamble. However it seems like something I would like to know more information about. Part time is also great for the other course, allows me to remain in my current role.

I might just give it a shot and go see what happens.

So read over it. Seems the best option, will put in an application and go from there. Seems to have just been added this year also, so might be in testing. Plus I think it will give me an idea of the level of commitment involved and the level at which we are talking education wise and if I can cope.

Good thing also, I literally just repeated LC maths at OL.

Will update you guys on how I get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jammydodger7

Hi all,

Sorry if this is hijacking or diverting from your questions Tallglass.

I read the previous posts and there are lots of useful insights so thanks everyone.

Anyway, Im 29 and considering giving up mundane but sensible/ stable accounting in search of the fulfilment that I hope medicine might be able to provide.

In terms of grad entry vs mature student undergrad courses:
    Can apply to undergrad courses as a mature student if I have graduated already but have enough leaving cert points?
    Is there much difference in terms of fees? Ive only looked at UL GEMS so far which I think is 14k p.a. Could I save much by going the other route (or do I lose any potential benefit by having done an undergrad already)?
    Are the undergrad courses always a year longer?
    Ive heard from a few that the UL GEMS course is very good. Are there any particular courses, grad or undergrad that are considered to be "better"/ looked on more favourably?

Maybe the answers are that I need to delve into the websites are prospectus more deeply, but would appreciate any input and advice.

Thanks!

Hi all,

Sorry if this is hijacking or diverting from your questions Tallglass.

I read the previous posts and there are lots of useful insights so thanks everyone.

Anyway, Im 29 and considering giving up mundane but sensible/ stable accounting in search of the fulfilment that I hope medicine might be able to provide.

In terms of grad entry vs mature student undergrad courses:
    Can apply to undergrad courses as a mature student if I have graduated already but have enough leaving cert points?
    Is there much difference in terms of fees? Ive only looked at UL GEMS so far which I think is 14k p.a. Could I save much by going the other route (or do I lose any potential benefit by having done an undergrad already)?
    Are the undergrad courses always a year longer?
    Ive heard from a few that the UL GEMS course is very good. Are there any particular courses, grad or undergrad that are considered to be "better"/ looked on more favourably?

Maybe the answers are that I need to delve into the websites are prospectus more deeply, but would appreciate any input and advice.

Thanks!

I think because you did undergrad already your subsidies have been used up and you'll have the higher rate of fees. Also the extra year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Recap

Are there any particular courses, grad or undergrad that are considered to be "better"/ looked on more favourably?

The GEMs are all more or less the same in terms of content and what is taught. You will have a few small differences but medical education is more or less the same in the Western world, regardless of where you go. Hence why you see so many doctors travelling across borders.

UL does take a slightly different approach to teaching compared to, say, UCD, which is far more classroom based at the start. Don't worry so much about getting into the 'best' and focus more on where you would like to live and practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Recap wrote: »
    The GEMs are all more or less the same in terms of content and what is taught. You will have a few small differences but medical education is more or less the same in the Western world, regardless of where you go. Hence why you see so many doctors travelling across borders.

UL does take a slightly different approach to teaching compared to, say, UCD, which is far more classroom based at the start. Don't worry so much about getting into the 'best' and focus more on where you would like to live and practice.

There is little to no teaching in UL GEMS so the courses are actually considerably different.

I don't suppose anyone knows.

If for example, I was to do a level 8 BSc in IT part time over 3 years and I stand to be corrected on this, if I am funding it, IE paying for it and then apply to do graduate entry Medicine, am I footing the bill on that one also?

I have never been to college* or availed of 'free fees'?

I'm not thinking, are these part time courses 'part funded' or something?

*I have started a part time course in DIT, but had to pull out due to a job change, however I paid fees.

The entire fees system is a nightmare to navigate around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Naija guy

If for example, I was to do a level 8 BSc in IT part time over 3 years and I stand to be corrected on this, if I am funding it, IE paying for it and then apply to do graduate entry Medicine, am I footing the bill on that one also?

I have never been to college* or availed of 'free fees'?

I'm not thinking, are these part time courses 'part funded' or something?

*I have started a part time course in DIT, but had to pull out due to a job change, however I paid fees.

The entire fees system is a nightmare to navigate around.

I applied for GEM with a Business-related degree from DIT which I did part time. I paid my way through during the 4-year duration.

I paid half of my GEM fees and borrowed the rest.

I think if you present a level 8 degree to apply for GEM, it is presumed that you have availed of the so called "free fees" or maybe, the said level 8 degree might have been partly Government funded. I know GEM is being subsidised by the government by 10k on top of the 15+ k students have to pay.

In order of ascending order, the difficulty with the whole GEM experience for me was:
    Fees/Finance < Med school/study < GAMSAT

Even though money was the least of my problems, there were times when I couldn't afford rent and I also had to shower in my local gym so as not to be too much of a burden where I was squatting. It was a rough ride but it's all behind me now.

While it's important to consider the fees, thinking about it step by step, a competitive GAMSAT score + at least a 2:1 in a level 8 degree in my opinion should come first.

Naija guy wrote: »
    In order of ascending order, the difficulty with the whole GEM experience for me was:
    Fees/Finance < Med school/study < GAMSAT

While it's important to consider the fees, thinking about it step by step, a competitive GAMSAT score + at least a 2:1 in a level 8 degree in my opinion should come first.
    Quickly looking like the outcome on this side also! I was of the option, 'cross that bridge when I come to it', however that doesn't play out in this, all parts need to be in sync.

GAMSAT, looks like a few months of study in itself. Then the 2.1, I could manage in an IT course.

So my thoughts are, take a chance with the access course to UCD with a 2% chance if 100 people are on the course. (Provided I get on it), benefits save time and fee situation might be reduced.

Or just get on with the IT management course. Benefits, have a degree in my field if something changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

There is little to no teaching in UL GEMS so the courses are actually considerably different.

I worked with UL GEM grads this year and found them to be no worse than grads from other unis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Hi all

I just wanted to bump this thread to see if there's any other thoughts on it - been doing a lot of soul-searching lately.

is getting on the GP scheme now ultra-competitive and what happens those people who don't get on the GP scheme but perhaps feel they are too old to consider any other speciality, or are just set on GP.

(I'm 41, with a mortgage and 1 young child).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There are now extra GP training places, but there will always be some competition for places. Realistically, if you start in the next intake, you are looking at 10 years before you are a qualified GP.

thanks yes, I would be 50 before being a qualified GP. It's just too old to be honest.

Personally I think a realistic cut-off for going back to GEM is early to mid 30s, i think that age or earlier is perfectly fine and will leave you with a long enough career afterwards to have made it worthwhile.

After this age, and this is just my opinion, i think you are likely to have accumulated dependents and responsibilities that make the GEM courses unviable.

kicking my 28 yo self for not having the town halls to do it when it first entered my mind!!!

Doing medicine and subsequently GP training is challenging for any age student, but I suspect it’s more for mature students with other responsibilities like a family/mortgage. There isn’t a lot of free time for part time work as it tends to be one of the more full-on courses.

thanks for this. can I ask, what happens if you don't make the GP scheme? are you left in limbo?

the latest numbers I say show about 4 people applying for every one place on the scheme.

A lot of medical students start off with a particular career path in mind, only to find during their undergraduate years that that particular field is not what they ultimately decide on. There will be other options apart from GP training, you may even look to schemes outside Ireland (again unfortunately that is where existing commitments may limit your ability to choose alternative options).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I don't necessarily think 42 is too old starting medicine if your intention is GP. You'd graduate at 46, enter the scheme at 47 and by 49 you would be a GP registrar for 2 years essentially doing the same job with some supervision.

Your time in hospital medicine will still be enjoyable, you'll still be earning a decent wage and if it's what you want to do you'll be happy. An intern year fully in Dublin or commutable from Dublin (presuming you're from here) is achievable, and GP scheme is quite localised into deaneries so you'd not have to move either if you got onto a TCD/UCD/RCSI deanery which is also very achievable.

You're going to be 50 either way, may as well be 50 and in a job you enjoy and have wanted!

Thanks Anita, that's a very helpful post. I agree with most of your points and if I were single, I think you're totally correct.

The reality is that, at 41, Life kinda gets in the way!! I am leaning towards thinking it isn't fair on my spouse and son, plus all sorts of practical considerations like mortgage, childcare etc etc.

getting old sucks!

Advertisement