Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Americans know about Ireland - CNBC interview

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

While it's inexcusable for a business anchor, I can understand your 'normal person' being a bit confused at times.

The usual confusion is that people don't understand the UK's rather complicated setup and think that "UK" is a polite term to refer to Britain and Ireland sort of like "Benelux" or "Nordic Region" or something like that.

The UK setup is incredibly confusing, to the point that even many British people seem to be a bit fuzzy about some aspects of it:

Geopolitical entity: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Ireland.

Subdivides into four regions that get treated as countries in various sports:
    England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Then you've got a confused quasi-federal setup where some regions are more devolved than others : Scotland and Northern Ireland are basically autonomous states within a federal UK, then Wales has less devolved power and England has none.

Then you've got the geographical terminology : Britain, Great Britain (includes small islands and not Ireland), Ireland and the collective term British Isles (which is politically charged and can be offensive to some Irish people).

Then you've sports teams:
    England, Scotland and Wales play internationally as separate countries despite all being part of the UK
    Ireland sometimes plays as the historical single entity which includes the Republic of Ireland, sometimes it doesn't
    Olympic teams are referred to as "Team GB" even though GB excludes Northern Ireland and it should really be Team UK.

Then you've the other big geopolitical entity: Ireland
    Ireland's sometimes called Ireland, sometimes called the Republic of Ireland and sometimes called Éire (using either of these terms is a political minefield and can get you verbally bitchslapped for no apparent reason other than someone takes a notion to be offended).

In sports terms : Sometimes Ireland plays as the Republic of Ireland (but you're not allowed to use that term as it's apparently offensive sometimes to some people).
    Sometimes it plays as Ireland (but does not include Northern Ireland) e.g. in the olympics.
    Then other times it plays as Ireland which also includes Northern Ireland (Rugby).

Then to add even more confusion you've a whole rake of independent crown protectorates Isle of Man, Channel Islands (of which there are several states) that are technically part of the British Isles and also technically part of the British system, i.e. common travel area access, +44 phone numbers, same currency etc but they're independent countries yet the Queen is the head of state and some of their higher functions of state get referred to the British Government e.g. supreme court functions in some cases.

Then add to that confused mix that Irish and British citizens can move seamlessly between the two countries and have almost the exact same rights as locals in a way that is WAY beyond EU treaties and includes full voting rights and instant recognition of residency. Making the two places probably the most interconnected pair of countries on the planet and neither of them are in Schengen and issue separate visas ...

So, eh, to say it's a BIT confusing is a gross under statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

My son was sitting beside a French lad on his first flight to Ireland (Dublin :D) back in September. The lad was really excited about getting away to somewhere foreign (the French don't get out much) and spending strange money. "Huh? We use the Euro in Ireland, same as in France" said my son. The French lad was shocked - he had a wallet full of sterling, sold to him by his local bank after he'd asked what currency he'd need.

My son was sitting beside a French lad on his first flight to Ireland (Dublin :D) back in September. The lad was really excited about getting away to somewhere foreign (the French don't get out much) and spending strange money. "Huh? We use the Euro in Ireland, same as in France" said my son. The French lad was shocked - he had a wallet full of sterling, sold to him by his local bank after he'd asked what currency he'd need.

Reminds me of the American guy I know who was told he needed 4 different adaptors for Ireland and arrived with :

Three different size round-pin adaptors for the obsolete UK system with the big round pins.
    Two different continental adaptors (earthed and unearthed)
    and oddly no adaptor that actually fitted modern Irish/British rectangular pin sockets which were the only type he ever encountered.

Radioshack ≠ experts in geography.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The best one I had though was in Belgium where someone put on my employment contract Citizen of the UK.
    When I brought this up, she said "that's a matter of political opinion". At which point I said, yeah like the way that Flanders is actually in France? She was highly offended at that notion but didn't seem to see anything wrong with just placing the wrong country on a legal document because she was too arrogant to check or admit that she could possibly be completely wrong.

Did it get corrected in the end

Thargor wrote: »
    So? I remember meeting someone who thought Athlone was a county once, that person still wouldn't be stupid enough to think the #1 superpower on the planet was the same country as Canada, you made a ridiculous claim about Irish people and have been backtracking and throwing out strawman arguments for 2 pages now and I really couldn't be bothered talking about it anymore.

:D Wow, highly offended for some reason due to observations of facts being reported on a thread disproving rose tinted glasses view world?

You mustn't get out much or have ever dealt with the 'general public'.
    Irish people are as intelligent and as thick as any other group of people in my experience of them.

A % of the population seem to basically just go around in a foggy haze munching on snacks. That's precisely why Homer Simpson is a worldwide success, every culture, every country has a % of Homer Simpsons.

The problem is that mostly we don't hire them as anchors on major international business news programming.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Did it get corrected in the end

No!
    She just threw her arms up in the air and concluded that I was being an awkward bollox basically.
    It probably would have entailed doing some work which was something she was highly allergic to.

I pointed out what a lovely time I was having in Antwerp, Germany though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

invalid contract wha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Are we taking this whole thing a bit out of context? I assumed that third presenter on the clip was a kind of Ali G or Karl Pilkington-type character thrown in for amusement purposes.

Are we taking this whole thing a bit out of context? I assumed that third presenter on the clip was a kind of Ali G or Karl Pilkington-type character thrown in for amusement purposes.

Maybe he was just someone's embarrassing uncle who was in looking around the studio on an open day and accidentally wandered onto set?

The younger guy and the female presenter seemed quite knowledgable, competent and a bit embarrassed!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

"why wouldn't we" great answer!!

• Advertisement

"why wouldn't we" great answer!!

Reminded me of a Father Ted sketch where Father Jack was taken out of his box with the starscape painted inside.

"What's that thing there?"
    "are those my feet?"

I'm sure it's on YouTube somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

You'd think people were up to date on current affairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

If somebody had Fujian on their passport you'd think they were from Fuji, wouldn't you? :)

Nope. It's a province in China.

Maybe he was just someone's embarrassing uncle who was in looking around the studio on an open day and accidentally wandered onto set?

The younger guy and the female presenter seemed quite knowledgable, competent and a bit embarrassed!

Not familiar with the guy or the programme, but look at his CV.

To me this episode reeks of trolling by Mr Kernen. He knows damn well that Ireland has the Euro, but his golf joke fell a bit flat so he thought he had to crank it up to eleven.

A good troll doesn't make himself look like a total muppet though.

A good troll doesn't make himself look like a total muppet though.

True, he's not a great troll or even a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TomoBhoy

People in Dublin think we use sterling in Donegal so hardly surprising.

We'd bite your hand off for it but that's beside the point.

I actually know someone who changed her euro to Stirling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

The best one I had though was in Belgium where someone put on my employment contract Citizen of the UK.
    When I brought this up, she said "that's a matter of political opinion". At which point I said, yeah like the way that Flanders is actually in France? She was highly offended at that notion but didn't seem to see anything wrong with just placing the wrong country on a legal document because she was too arrogant to check or admit that she could possibly be completely wrong.
    Part of Flanders is in France, ie French Flanders where Calais and Dunkirk are situated. I despair that people aren't aware of this! :mad:

True, he's not a great troll or even a good one.

It's actually been picked up by quite a few media outlets in Ireland and Britain as well as a couple of US news sites.

It's in the Guardian and the Independent (UK)

Part of Flanders is in France, ie French Flanders where Calais and Dunkirk are situated. I despair that people aren't aware of this! :mad:

Yes, but not the bit that I was standing in which tends to want to declare itself as anything but French-speaking Belgian.

• Advertisement

Maybe he could do an in-depth piece with the Curry My Yogurt man in Northern Ireland?
    They seem to be on the same level when it comes to trolling.

It's actually been picked up by quite a few media outlets in Ireland and Britain as well as a couple of US news sites.

It's in the Guardian and the Independent (UK)

And Twitter is buzzing away, so he got his audience all right.

But I still think he was expecting one of the anchors to say "Don't mind him, he's just pulling your leg" or something, rather than get the tumbleweed response - and a US interviewee would presumably know that he had serious form for trolling, which the IDA guy clearly didn't.

Or have I turned into Lord Denning with an appalling vista analysis?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

catallus wrote: »
    If somebody had Fujian on their passport you'd think they were from Fuji, wouldn't you? :)

There is no country called Fuji so not sure what your point is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I was half-expecting the American guy to slowly disappear off-camera, being pulled away by the hook reserved for disappointing stage performers.

Squawkbox is a huge show, I'm really surprised one of their presenters was so under-prepared. He was obviously going for a bit of light jokey "banter" but he seemed completely unaware that it was backfiring.

That female presenter looked like she was dying a little inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Well I know that now, don't I?? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

That guy should have just shut up as soon as he realised what an idiot he was making of himself, but the clueless moron just kept going on and on about it.

How do people that stupid get these jobs? I would have thought a basic knowledge of countries and their currencies would have been a fundemental requirement in securing the role as anchor on a financially based news show.

At a guess, I'd say a mixture of nepotism and having gone to the right Ivy League college.

I've just found this on YouTube - it's the previous IDA man on that Squawk Box programme earlier this year (different host).

Something rather unexpected happens at around 0.24.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

catallus wrote: »

I think he meant Fiji.

I also can't find anywhere in China called Fuji, so it's also possible that he actually meant Japan on that, unless he actually meant Fujian Province in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Basque. That's something you do in the sun, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

One of my English friends totally dismissed me once I told him Ireland wasn't part of the UK. He was adamant that it was!!

He would not believe that Ireland had its own prime minister and president.
    Kept telling me that his passport said 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland'. He kept asking me was I sure...
    I told him to run upstairs and have a look at his passport, that he'd forgotten the 'Northern' bit ahead of Ireland. He returned rather sheepishly once he realised he was wrong!

This was despite the fact he'd been to Ireland, and studied geography as his undergrad!!!! Don't underestimate ignorance.

I think a lot of people from larger countries like the UK and US have a more insular world view; whereas the opposite is the case in smaller nations.

Advertisement