Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bank of Ireland shares

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

buy loads of em dont worry u will get bailed out:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭iamfromcork

thats what i was thinking lol .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

alan26092 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but I'm going to ask anyway...

In September 2011 BOI shares were trading at €0.07 per share. Today they're trading at €0.14 per share.

If I had bought €5k worth of shares in September would they now be worth €10k?

Mad isn't it, nothing like making easy money? Don't take my word listen to the experts who advised not to at 7c and now at 14c!! Plenty of opps with BoI shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

So BOI shares doing quite well. 40 cent high this year and currently at 27 cent.

Could be up to a euro by 2020.

Canadel wrote: »
    So BOI shares doing quite well. 40 cent high this year and currently at 27 cent.

Yes!! Having lost a chunk with the original bank crash, bought plenty new @ 7 cent and 12 cent. Well into the black now :)

I think it'll be a while to reach € 1.00 but who's in a hurry? Divi's next year ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Canadel wrote: »

I think they are undervalued currently. I think 40c-45c with divs is a fair price.

down 22% YTD though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Any opinions on these as a long term investment. i'm 20, and i want to invest 2k into them now.

Any opinions on these as a long term investment. i'm 20, and i want to invest 2k into them now.

It's an independent (original state funding more or less repaid) Pillar Bank, as the Irish economy improves, it is reasonable certainty so too will the fortunes of pillar banks. BoI is unquestionably the lead player (of all home players) and will remain so for a considerable period.

I think it a no brainer, that even a punt of € 2k will yield rich rewards eventually.

Remember me when you've made it big !:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

It's an independent (original state funding more or less repaid) Pillar Bank, as the Irish economy improves, it is reasonable certainty so too will the fortunes of pillar banks. BoI is unquestionably the lead player (of all home players) and will remain so for a considerable period.

I think it a no brainer, that even a punt of € 2k will yield rich rewards eventually.

Remember me when you've made it big !:D

They have a sizeable operation in the UK too. Although that could a double edged sword considering how overpriced the UK property market is though. They are actively reducing their LTV on new mortgages in the UK to limit their risk

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

newacc2015 wrote: »
    They have a sizeable operation in the UK too. Although that could a double edged sword considering how overpriced the UK property market is though. They are actively reducing their LTV on new mortgages in the UK to limit their risk

They already have almost 1% of current mortgages in the UK and are pretty much making more there than they are here at the moment with the partnership with Post Office. All good so far anyway but like you said, it could work both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

In event of brexit,would boi shares suffer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Spirogyra wrote: »
    In event of brexit,would boi shares suffer?

Probably. But the way the shares are getting hammered with the poll during the week, Brexit might be pretty much priced into the share price

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭chair28

where can you buy shares? how do you go about buying some?im new to this

I hope these shares keep on dropping.

I'll buy some if they reach 15c, if they go to 10, it's worth a few grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Chiarrai92

I hope these shares keep on dropping.

Absolutely! Iv been watching a number of shares myself for a first dip into the stock markets. I only have 5-6k The plan was to spread the money between 3-4 diferent companys but if the price keeps droping il put 2-3k into BoI. With dividend on the way in the next year or two you cant go wrong can you?

Also i assume the week the uk goes to the polls would be a good week to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Bought some yesterday at .22

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

alb wrote: »

a tidy 10% in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I piled in a bit yesterday at 0.22 aswell. I was holding a long term loss on an ETF that was trading at its level and showing no signs or reason to hope for a recovery to near what was paid.
    Sold them at a loss of @40% over what I'd paid, now that said the dividend return over the time I'd held it meant total was only @20%.
    Piled it all into BOI as a longterm hold, wasn't expecting to see such an uptick already nor do i expect it to swing up in any meaningful fashion til at least 2017 and the return of a dividend
    I'm happy to let it sit, if I could get lower ISE trading costs however I'd probably consider a few flips to crystalize any gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

As expected Brexit playing havoc with the markets, Bank of Ireland down almost 25%

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

cherrytaz wrote: »
    As expected Brexit playing havoc with the markets, Bank of Ireland down almost 25%

The bit I don't understand who would go out and sell shares today

• Advertisement

I hope you cashed out on your 10%

popa smurf wrote: »
    The bit I don't understand who would go out and sell shares today

Fear of it getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

I hope you cashed out on your 10%

It was more like 20% by the end of yesterday, but unfortunately I didn't sell. Was always prepared to hold longer term if the vote was 'leave'.

Where is the safest or most reputable place the buy shares ?

BOI shares are down to .20c I wan't some of that action.

It was more like 20% by the end of yesterday, but unfortunately I didn't sell. Was always prepared to hold longer term if the vote was 'leave'.

It's only a loss if your sell, the current price is as meaningless as the 10% gain you made a few days ago in a single day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Augeo wrote: »
    It's only a loss if your sell, the current price is as meaningless as the 10% gain you made a few days ago in a single day :)

Not if you are leveraging your equity like some trading houses do.

Also some investors are more disciplined in their trading. They will close a position based off a movement of X%, or some who will only buy shares if the stock is part of a specific index (eg fund managers). If a price drops and the stock falls out of the index, then the fund manager would sell the stock, regardless of whether its a loss or a profit for them.

daheff wrote: »
    Not if you are leveraging your equity like some trading houses do.

Also some investors are more disciplined in their trading. They will close a position based off a movement of X%, or some who will only buy shares if the stock is part of a specific index (eg fund managers). If a price drops and the stock falls out of the index, then the fund manager would sell the stock, regardless of whether its a loss or a profit for them.

Cheers :)
    I'm pretty sure none of that applies to alb, who my post referred to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 StyleKillah

As Bank Of Ireland is nearly a penny stock is it a good long term investment or is everyone treating it like a penny stock to try and get quick and big returns? I'm worried about the liquidity of it if something happened and needed to sell!

Morningstar surprisingly puts it nearly at a buy at 3.7/5

I'm considering it because of talks they will begin dividends next year with nearly a 5% yield.

down another 16% to 0.18

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

BoI is still a very risky stock, the UK will no longer have to prop up any more of these EU zombie banks. It now looks like another financial crises is developing.

Advertisement