Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Marathon 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

4 stars (good)
    Great photos Woddle. I've tagged quite a few favorites inc. your leprachaun pic.

Very well done Mayoroadrunner. Another success story today.

4 stars (good)
    ecoli wrote: »
    Great run from Bazman also just missing out on the medals in 2.22

Super run alright. Martin Francis will forgive me for saying he's well into his 50s and he ran 2:50. Top man.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paulb79

had a great day finished at 3.54 in the end first time so im happy enough, a big thanks to the sub 3.45 pacers done a super job , just a pity i couldnt hang on after 21 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

ecoli wrote: »
    Great run from Bazman also just missing out on the medals in 2.22

It would be great if we could organise a Q&A with him, I would imagine everyone could learn a huge amount from him

(hint hint Mods :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 pinksl412

3 stars (average)
    I have to say the 3:30 pace makers were top lads. Rallying the followers at the right times. Alas I could only keep with them until mile 24. 2.2 tough miles followed.

Finished 03:34:16 (24 min improvement from Cork)

Full marks to the organisers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

4 stars (good)
    3:15:12, first marathon,
    loved the day, the last 3 miles were a horrible slog though,
    couldn't get over the support and encouragement all the way round,

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

It would be great if we could organise a Q&A with him, I would imagine everyone could learn a huge amount from him
    (hint hint Mods :P)

Any time - although you'd possibly learn a lot more from Sergio - yet another Irish marathon victory - he has a monopoly.
    Yet another 4th place finish for me - I'll get it right someday :) Obviously delighted with the time, particularly as some of my training didn't go to plan. Like last year I felt leg cramps coming on from mile 18 onwards, so when Greg & Joe made a break for it down fosters avenue I just had to let them go ... have to solve that problem - more electrolytes I guess
    Perfect conditions today for a PB.
    Fantastic experience - support was amazing all the way in the race.
    Most people I've talked to were delighted with race.
    Only feedback for organisers would be to make mile markers more visible - otherwise spot on ...

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Great achievement guys, whether its your first or smashing previous PB's! Im mostly into cycling now but soo jealous Im not involved in some way with DCM 2010.

Well done!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

very good day for a marathon....and a very good marathon, great support and everything went smoothly, drinks stations etc

finished in 2:56, happy days!
    report on my training log....

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

4 stars (good)
    Great event today. Perfect weather, fantastic support and a good run to cap it all off.

Well done to one and all, hope you are all happy. Some great results posted by boardies

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    According to the results the leprachaun finished in 3:09. The first costumed runner over the line I guess. Doesn't leave a nice feeling to be passed by him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

According to the results the leprachaun finished in 3:09. The first costumed runner over the line I guess. Doesn't leave a nice feeling to be passed by him :D

Dunno i saw a guy dressed as a tiger who would have been hot on his heels:D

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

4 stars (good)
    Shattered. 2:44 something for me, a pb by about 1:40 or so, although I'm missing from the results for now. I'm sure that'll be sorted in time. Great race. Absolutely fabulous race. The Boards pacers were a credit to us all. Well done to everyone who got around.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

First marathon for me today and I think I made every rookie mistake to make...

Hopped to run 3:20 with the plan to start off nice and easy first four miles @0:08:00. Hit the four mile mark within three seconds of plan. Every mile through the park just got quicker and quicker (anyone else think that setting out Furnze road like the race series finish area was just cruel?) Before I knew it I was hitting 0:07:15s, nothing I could do would reign it in, until mile 9 - coming under the N4 on that short little hill, it started to hurt.

Over the next 5-6 miles the lower legs and lower back started to tighten up, resulting in sore knees through tight ITBs. Walked a few times going up Roebuck.

Then the garmin went flat on the Stillorgan road. Nothing to monitor progress, sore and not much of a desire to fight through it.

Yet, fight through it I did. Nearly cried when the 3:30 paces caught me. Stuck with them for a bit, but a bit of a run walk strategy was required to get to the end. On Pearse street, somone said "Your doing well - sub 4" well I did cry.
    Managed to run on round Trinity and got the biggest dump of adrenaline at the 26 mile mark and charged to the line... In 3:31:13! all things considered I am thrilled!!! but I dont want to go through that pain again.

In the finish area I was an emotional wreck. Keep an eye out for any fotos of a 6'2" scottsman bubbling like a little girl wearing bib number 444 (2/3rds of the devil?)

NEVER AGAIN!........ until next time.

Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Saw Donothoponpop on the RTE news coverage:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

4 stars (good)
    Lost my marathon virginity today and got in at 3h 42min (although my chip time will be better). The weather was perfect and the race really well organised. Thanks so much to all involved for their time and the kind people from Dublin for their support and jelly babies along the way. Thanks also to all the ladies wearing lycra... what a day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Started out with the 4.30 pacers and felt really comfortable, left them after about 3 miles and was just ahead of them until about halfway, really enjoying it and amazed I was doing better than expected. Then the wheels fell off - left knee starting getting quite painful (an injury which hasn't given me any trouble since May but decided to show itself today) as did my right glute...the pain got worse and worse, had to keep stopping to stretch and watched in disappointment as the pacers passed me around mile 16...then my entire right leg seized up, from the hip down...I had to slow to a hobble and at UCD was seriously considering stopping as I was in so much pain and could barely walk. The thought of walking 6 miles was nearly too much. Anyway, I made it to the end in 4.53, a pb but there was no joy. In fact a lot of tears :(.

Didn't make it to McGrattans as I still can't walk comfortably. Hope you're having a blast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

All 1212 pics uploaded and I tried my best to divide them by pacer at the 18.5 mile mark.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25938822@N07/sets/72157625238106268/
    http://www.racepix.com/Dublin-Marathon-2010/Pictures/405/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,591 ✭✭✭Cartman78

4 stars (good)
    First DCM for me since 2005 - very very impressed with the organisation from start to finish....would hope that the organisers of the spate of new races that have appeared lately were taking notes. The support was fantastic also thruout the course.

Ran 3:45 in Limerick in May so was hoping to improve on that and attack the course a bit more - got thru 10 miles in 1:18 and halfway in 1:43. The wheels (and my legs) started to come off a bit between mile 18-23 but got myself together near the end and managed something of a sprint finish to cross the line in 3:32.

Started crying when I met my wife at the end! Not sure if this was a side effect of too many PowerBar gels or maybe a few endorphins gone awol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

marathon no 2 today (did DCM'09 last year)

finished in 03:43 - which i was delighted with (did 03:56 last year)

the body is hurting big time now.

Special thanks to the 03:45 pacers. I was about 200 yards behind them the whole race until the last mile when I hit the gas and managed to shoot past them at trinity.

cracking weather, cracking support, well organised - all round brilliant day.

This event really deserves a bit more exposure by the main tourist agencies to bring it to the next level. Dublin on a nice day like today is the best place in the world for a marathon.

I'll be putting the name down for 2011 and pushing for sub 03:30 - one day I'll shoot for sub 3 - one day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭Peckham

Just to give another perspective from a pacing point of view.

I paced the 3:30 group and it was at the same time both one of the toughest races of my life and most rewarding days.

Was great to chat to so many runners on the way round and hear so many stories. Highlight of the run for me was to feel a tap on my shoulder coming through Milltown and see a girl I spoke to at the Expo on Saturday with a beaming smile on her face. She was in two camps on Saturday of whether to go with 3:45 or 3:30, and was leaning towards being conservative and going 3:45. She explained her training and race times and it was clear she should be going 3:30. Anyway, she taps me on the shoulder at mile 18 looking very comfortable and says "Thanks. You were right". (I hope she finished as I didn't see her at the finish).

Wheels came off for me coming along Merrion Road. Quads had totally tightened-up and right knee was quite sore. I was very close to dropping out at RDS, but those balloons aren't very subtle and I knew everyone around me was struggling, and seeing one of their pacers drop out might have meant ruining some races for others. So I pushed on, one mile at a time. Managed to hold the pace, but it was tough. Very tough. Crossed the line in 3:29:07 according to the Garmin.

Have seen video footage of me on Nassau Street and it ain't a pretty picture. Had to be held up by a volunteer on the finish line and had some Coke forced into me. Did an interview with Setanta Sports (who I had carried a head-mounted camera for during the race), and I doubt my incoherent ramblings will be making their final cut!

....but this wasn't my day. It was a day for others, and I was delighted to hear so many PB stories afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I didn't let the balloon go folks, the tie broke at about mile 12 and away to space it flew! It was gas to look back and see all the dismayed faces behind :D I quickly reassured them that we were still good to go.

Another blast pacing the 4 hour group. Truth be told I found it a little tougher today, legs a bit tired, but it was never in doubt. The desired and advised target for us was 3:59:30.

Result: 3:59:30 :D Hit the halfway mat in 1:59:59!! Job done!

It got a little hairy coming into the 25 mile mark as we were pulling along a huge posse. 2 of our 4 strong team flanked the road and pushed the crowds back to let the posse through (apologies to those supporters). I may have scared a few into a final sprint but it was brilliant to see that posse flooding through with the line in sight. There is some really great spirit in the DCM.

Some incredible results from our bordsies, it will take a week of dossing to get to it all. Well done all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

3 stars (average)
    Peckham, you and your fellow pacers were brilliant. Especially the one who kept shouting "Come on the 3:30". I know that kept me inspired.
    Ye hit every mile on the button.
    I managed to tag along with your group until mile 17 when I reall started to hurt. But since it was my first marathon and I only took up running in the summer I was delighted with my finish time of 3:39.
    The last 9.2 miles were tough without you guys though.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

3 stars (average)
    great conditions today and a brilliant atmosphere out there.most of my club mates had pb's today so delighted for them.did 3:15:07 myself so i'm delighted to have put in that performance only four weeks after berlin,coudn't get under the 3:15 although wasn't for the want of trying.said hello to a few boardsies who did themselves proud today.well done to all who competed.now for a well earned rest for a bit.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Peckham wrote: »
    Just to give another perspective from a pacing point of view.

I paced the 3:30 group and it was at the same time both one of the toughest races of my life and most rewarding days.

Was great to chat to so many runners on the way round and hear so many stories. Highlight of the run for me was to feel a tap on my shoulder coming through Milltown and see a girl I spoke to at the Expo on Saturday with a beaming smile on her face. She was in two camps on Saturday of whether to go with 3:45 or 3:30, and was leaning towards being conservative and going 3:45. She explained her training and race times and it was clear she should be going 3:30. Anyway, she taps me on the shoulder at mile 18 looking very comfortable and says "Thanks. You were right". (I hope she finished as I didn't see her at the finish).

Wheels came off for me coming along Merrion Road. Quads had totally tightened-up and right knee was quite sore. I was very close to dropping out at RDS, but those balloons aren't very subtle and I knew everyone around me was struggling, and seeing one of their pacers drop out might have meant ruining some races for others. So I pushed on, one mile at a time. Managed to hold the pace, but it was tough. Very tough. Crossed the line in 3:29:07 according to the Garmin.

Have seen video footage of me on Nassau Street and it ain't a pretty picture. Had to be held up by a volunteer on the finish line and had some Coke forced into me. Did an interview with Setanta Sports (who I had carried a head-mounted camera for during the race), and I doubt my incoherent ramblings will be making their final cut!

....but this wasn't my day. It was a day for others, and I was delighted to hear so many PB stories afterwards.

Well done lad. I'm sure a lot of people were relying on you and you came through for them. Same to all the pacers, massive kudos..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

3 stars (average)
    Did anyone feel they didn't drink enough?? I think it was the first few hours being quite cold I defo didn't drink near enough.

I guess I'm used to feeling warm and drinking accordingly. In any past marathons I've never got cramps in my legs like I did today...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭runningcoach

4 stars (good)
    Bad day today due to stomach problems .Was hoping for sub 3.30 but came home in 3.52. Had to do the run on water alone but no complaints it was my error in food choices yesterday that caused the problem. Good calorie burning day however :D

That aside I thought the level reached for DCM 10 scaled new heights.

The organisation of the race was first class. The conditions were ideal and the biggest thing for me was that the crowds that turned out to support were a absoulate credit to their city. Also a special mention for the pacers who performed their jobs to a tee which is quite rare in a big city marathon.

Its just a pity RTE did not show the event live instead of instead of airing Dr Phil etc . The country is crying out for a good news story. Many thousands of people had a unique story to tell today and RTE missed the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

4 stars (good)
    RTE have more interest in "real sport" like Celebrity Bainisteoir or stuff like "Ireland's Greatest" it seems :o They should be shot with their own S**t

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

4 stars (good)
    Delighted with today! Finished in 3.49, beating the hell outta last year's 4.27. From my training I knew I should go under 4 hours so kept with the 4 hour pacers for the first 6 miles, felt I could do more so said I'd push myself on doing 8.47min miles ish. At 20 miles I felt great but was waiting for the wall to nail me, mile 23 I still felt great so put the boot down for home to arrive in 3.49.

I must have took the long way around at every possibility as my garmin had me down as doing 26.57mile!

Thrilled with the time, but I guess if I'd more confidence from the start I'd have gone with the 3.45 pacers.

Excellent organisation, only comment I would have is that it got very squashed with the crowd in some places in the last mile with no overtaking possibilites (a good complaint i know)!
    Thanks to all in boards for yer help thoughout, some very helpful threads throughout the year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

3 stars (average)
    Bad day in the office for me, struggled to even finish. Really disappointed but went off too fast (School Boy Error) and found it hard after KCR ended up walking from Clonskeagh all the way to the finish line.
    Great day and well organised once again,
    Meet a few boardies on the course, sorry I was not more friendly but really dying on my feet.

Well done to all here, great day seems to be had by all.

Till next year:cool:

Advertisement