Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

what is the burning passion for having an open fire?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

There is way more hate off a stove but the open fire is still nice.

Did anyone here ever try dipping a hot poker from the fire into a pint of stout? gives it lovely flavour

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Have you anything to back that claim up?

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41893-018-0125-x

'Air Quality in Ireland' (though that doesn't reference specific solid fuels).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ah you can't bate a lovely fire

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Not many power cuts at the moment but as demand surges and the pressure is applied that could change

as electric cars become mainstream and everyone is plugging in to charge there could possibly be power-cuts? , not enough power in the system and all that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I truly believe that a good open fire keeps you healthy. There is something about an open fire that lifts your immune system.

I couldn't live without one. We burn turf, logs and sometimes briquettes. Heaven.

We have a stove too which is very efficient but I often open the stove door to watch the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Has to be something selected in us through evolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I truly believe that an good open fire keeps you healthy. There is something about an open fire that lifts your immune system.

I couldn't live without one. We burn turf, logs and sometimes briquettes. Heaven.

We have a stove too which is very efficient but I often open the stove door to watch the fire.

It’s primal

Setting a fire to keep your family warm is ingrained in the genes of a man

There is way more hate off a stove but the open fire is still nice.

Did anyone here ever try dipping a hot poker from the fire into a pint of stout? gives it lovely flavour

no, ... I cant say i have .......... or never will be any time soon haha :D

bluewolf wrote: »
    Ah you can't bate a lovely fire

.. beat :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

.. beat :)

have to say it with the accent though

• Advertisement

I truly believe that a good open fire keeps you healthy. There is something about an open fire that lifts your immune system.

not technically true i should think - fires can warm up rooms to 30'c or more. Normal room temperature is 20'c - more heat = more germs, they love heat , multiply more - sore throats , headaches , lethargic , fumes blowing back in the room when wind blowing in wrong direction , dangerous if chimney gets blocked, or catch fire to something nearby .. no I don't think open fires are good for your health TBH

I'd go out on a limb here and say I bet you could live without one honestly :) ...

bluewolf wrote: »
    have to say it with the accent though

indeed! ..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I have a new build house and I am a little bit sad I'll never have an open fire again. They are just lovely and cosy and give a fantastic glow, always brilliant during power cuts too. There's something soothing about the flicking warm light and the heat and the gentle crackling.

They are great, I love the intense heat right beside you, the smell everything... don’t have one here but did where I lived before. The mess and morning cleanup I don’t miss but a real fire is nice. Again though, just standing up and flicking a switch here and place is roasting in 10 minutes...I’m not trading that... :)

not technically true i should think - fires can warm up rooms to 30'c or more. Normal room temperature is 20'c - more heat = more germs, they love heat , multiply more - sore throats , headaches , lethargic , fumes blowing back in the room when wind blowing in wrong direction , dangerous if chimney gets blocked, or catch fire to something nearby .. no I don't think open fires are good for your health TBH

I'd go out on a limb here and say I bet you could live without one honestly :) ...

Central heating probably much better for keeping the germs alive if a room doesn't get a chance to cool down. 30 degrees wouln't be comfortable at all. Anything past 23 I find too hot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

who is to stop you ripping out a stove and putting in an open fire in a new build? thats what i would do. an open fire is one of the perks of winter.

I have to just get my head around this all, and its late but here goes.

OK so burning in your back garden is illegal and banned, for reasons of like if you burn paper with ink on it , and plastics or would with paint on it or plastic bags, plastic milk bottles and other plastics that the chemicals are released into the atmosphere, not only bad for the environment but also a public anti-social nuisance .... but you can burn anything and everything in your fireplace (even heard of people trying to burn nappies - yuk!- and ashtray contents, and plastic carrier bags and plastic milk bottles and throw anything else into the fireplace when there is a roaring fire going and its OK ... and yet you can go outside and go walking and running but get lungfuls of all this coming out of the chimneys and its grand , its not anti-sociable at all and fine to burn this stuff in your fireplace yeah?

Right, next thing people burning trees and logs in an open fireplace. Trees are great natural absorbers of Co2 - why are people cutting them down to burn them for their home heating? or for a nice cosy fireplace - we need more trees not less surely

OK so burning in your back garden is illegal and banned, for reasons of like if you burn paper with ink on it , and plastics or would with paint on it or plastic bags, plastic milk bottles and other plastics that the chemicals are released into the atmosphere, not only bad for the environment but also a public anti-social nuisance .... but you can burn anything and everything in your fireplace (even heard of people trying to burn nappies - yuk!- and ashtray contents, and plastic carrier bags and plastic milk bottles and throw anything else into the fireplace when there is a roaring fire going and its OK ... and yet you can go outside and go walking and running but get lungfuls of all this coming out of the chimneys and its grand , its not anti-sociable at all and fine to burn this stuff in your fireplace yeah?

Right, next thing people burning trees and logs in an open fireplace. Trees are great natural absorbers of Co2 - why are people cutting them down to burn them for their home heating? or for a nice cosy fireplace - we need more trees not less surely

most timber burned in open fires are trees that have fallen in storms, they aren't healthy trees cut down to burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Around here I think it's for burning stuff that goes in the bin so as not have higher bin bills.

It's like the smog in the 80s 90s.

The antisocial thing is just a brainstorm by John Gormley back in the day. I wouldn't take too much notice. Burning plastic isn't great though. There's no point in trying to burn the contents of an ash tray because it's already been burn, trees don't live forever so will have to be cut and burned eventually. Most trees that get cut down here become MDF or some other craptastic material for making cheap furniture

Central heating probably much better for keeping the germs alive if a room doesn't get a chance to cool down. 30 degrees wouln't be comfortable at all. Anything past 23 I find too hot

you have raised a pretty good observation there - central heating radiators dry the air , and then if your nasal passages dry out that's when you could come down with a sore throat or cold ... but would a roaring fire not be dry heat as well?

I remember when i were younger ad we had gas central heating my mum would put out a bowl of water in the rooms in the winter and that would evaporate quite quickly when the heating was on and then later on we come across some (I dont know whether they were china or plastic) tanks that used to hang on the central heating rads and you filled with water every day (we even put some smelly oils in it to make the room smell nice) and that would evaporate along with the heat from the rads to keep the room humidified.

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    most timber burned in open fires are trees that have fallen in storms, they aren't healthy trees cut down to burn.

oh good , am glad about that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Not true. I live in Wicklow and the wood you are burning is a mix of fallen and felled. There arent enough fallen trees on it's own to justify selling the usual half-ton bags.

anyone listen to Mairead Ronan (or whatever she calling herself these days) on today FM this morning, someone phoned in and said they were given a task of lighting an open fire and she had never lit a fire in her life and had been 'experimenting' and 'couldnt get it to take' so people were phoning in giving advice how to start a fire.

One bloke phoned in (i think he sold stoves or something) and said put firelighter on top of the coal not underneath it like others that make that mistake. I thought firelighters always went under the fuel?

There is a knack though to get a good fire started , i know when we used to have an open fire sometimes more than other times it was a bítch to start when getting it to light sometimes with it just going out and smoking the place out. I used thin sticks, firelighters and rolled up / scrunched up newspaper and sometimes it was having none of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

For those of you that don't have an open fire, Netflix has an 8hr alternative.

I don't think it's possible to put an open fire in a new build these days as it is not possible to get an A rating with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Stovepipe wrote: »
    He said it himself, too. he was being interviewed by Parkinson, I think, about the film and said that he "encouraged" himself, before stepping in front of the camera. It wasnt the kind of closed set that happens now and quite a few of the crew were there, so he felt the need to "stiffen" his resolve.

Which begs the question.

Did he think stoves were more efficient than the traditional open fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

And when I come in cold and tired Its good to warm my bones beside the fire. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

pgj2015 wrote: »
    who is to stop you ripping out a stove and putting in an open fire in a new build? thats what i would do. an open fire is one of the perks of winter.

Might struggle due to the lack of a chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya open chimneys mess up the whole idea around airtight homes.
    Someone asked what is to stop you putting in an open fire after the h o use is complete. Well if you.build to current regs, you will have a good level of airtightness with a heat recovery mechanical ventilation system meaning the old style open vents in walls are a thing of the past.
    Suddenly installing an open fire will completely do away with the efficiency provided by the heat recovery system and would likely require a wall vent or similar to allow fire to burn.
    Basically, it's the last thing you should be thinking of doing if you have build a recent house.
    That said, there are plenty options for stoves that can be used. Some of the double sided ones can give a very good fire effect in a large room.

Might struggle due to the lack of a chimney.

Do stoves not need chimneys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Níl Aon Tinteán Mar Do Thinteán Féin

uther2.jpg

Advertisement