Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are the Irish a benighted people?

• 29-04-2019 5:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

I see our race as comparable in some ways to the ancient Hebrews. After many generations of enslavement in Egypt they won their freedom but they were ignorant. They demonstrated this in their corrupt ways and their worshiping of a golden calf.

Corruption is a term generally applied to administration these days but its meaning is of course far broader than that and as I see it, the term applies to the Irish as a nation. As for worshiping false Gods and demigods, such behaviour is common in these days of irreverence.

In a way, this seems counter intuitive. One would think the experience of enslavement would toughen a people but then again we know that our will power is constantly in a depletable state and it takes a measure of enlightenment to habitually restore it through moral redemption, meditation and when need be, restfulness.

Many Irish drink alcohol or do things like drugs, gambling, cussing not to mention the irreverence of or ways, such as blaspheming, disrespect for the Sabbath and so on. Then there is the approval of general sinfulness in our society, abortion, sodomy, divorce etc.

It has taken 3000 years to make the Jews a light unto the nations and for the Jews, those 3000 years were not particularly pleasant. I suggest we Irish ought to work on our enlightenment. Am I wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Yes

Zzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

As you are on every thread you start, to confirm yes you are wrong. You will behave here the same you do on every thread you start make claims and then refuse to back up said claims and slowly bring your opinion around to a defence of the RCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

We’re a race now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

You think one would have something better to do at 5.30 am than post to boards. If your going to be up that early, why not do something to better yourself. Oh, wait. Your a troll. That's why!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

take A long nap op writing not so thinly anti Jew posts at half 5 in the morning is a short step away from a nice white coat with straps on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Why do some religious people love misery, seriously, we re not doing too bad as a country, we ll always have our problems, but many enjoy great freedoms that our ancestors didn't, we ve come along way, this should be celebrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Wanderer78 wrote:
    Why do some religious people love misery, seriously, we re not doing too bad as a country, we ll always have our problems, but many enjoy great freedoms that our ancestors didn't, we ve come along way, this should be celebrated

Forget the misery, I'm curious why the OP is obsessed with Sodomy. A common theme mentioned in all his threads. Is it a religious obsession or is it something deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Forget the misery, I'm curious why the OP is obsessed with Sodomy. A common theme mentioned in all his threads. Is it a religious obsession or is it something deeper.

maybe pleasure is a bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

The solution for ancient Hebrews was to stop worshipping a golden calf. The Irish have only recently stopped worshipping friesian calves because we were a mostly agricultural society up until very recently.

If the ancient Hebrews are anything to go by it will take at least a thousand years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Tom1991 wrote: »
    take A long nap op writing not so thinly anti Jew posts at half 5 in the morning is a short step away from a nice white coat with straps on it.

I am pro Jew.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD: The topic of this thread, and especially several of the posts that have been made, do not appear to fit the Philosophy forum guidelines as quoted below. Perhaps there is another forum on the site that would be more appropriate? Locked.
    Black Swan wrote: »
    Forum Guidelines:

You are encouraged to elaborate upon or challenge a philosophical position, logic, significance, relevance, analytical method, context, interpretation, prediction, historical antecedents, empirical foundation...

Citing philosophers and their works in support of your position taken is greatly encouraged. Links are sometimes helpful too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement