Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-03-2014, 11:43   #751
paul_booth_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_booth_fan View Post
Just done on 64 man Langcam
On a map that was notorious for the lag, I just finished there with no rubberbanding or stuttering or issues with hit-reg or being hit around corners. European server with 4 bars
Advertisement
28-03-2014, 11:50   #752
paul_booth_fan

Same server on ZAVOD(said Golmund earlier)

Last edited by paul_booth_fan; 28-03-2014 at 12:08.
28-03-2014, 13:10   #753
mozattack

Cos I am bored I looked back on the 9 matched I played last night... message is that both my K/D and SPM were up 25% because I had no lag. How annoying is that! Also I didnt use boosts so that is the "naked" SPM and maybe if I hadn't messed with the Ucav i'd have done better than the round in which my SPM was < 200!

Kills Deaths SPM

15 10 312
11 4 674
6 3 3302
4 0 484
3 3 169
6 4 1036
8 11 426
12 4 1110
21 10 662
86 49 8175

K/D 1.755102041

SPM 908.3333333
28-03-2014, 13:13   #754
mozattack

Paul, thanks.

I am UPC too and I think the best possible speed (not sure)

Are you wireless or wired connection?

For the record, I only play European and only play with 4 bars too (for Ping) so it is strange how different are outcomes have been.
Thanks from:
28-03-2014, 13:17   #755
allybhoy

The mere sight of that system performance test annoys me, I think its a bit rich for Dice to try and push some of the blame onto users networks\broadbands when obviously there is an issue with their core infrastructure.
I mean none of these issues where in BF3 \ BC2 on PC and they were 64 players with high FPS. Dice didn't have a system performance test for those titles, yet they felt the need to create one for BF4 cos they have had so many complaints about the state of the game.

Look at the posts near the end of this thread...

One poster shows speed test results, before \during and after levelution, the only thing that changes is his packet loss, server performance stays at high.... so during the game Dice are basically blaming packetloss (His ISP) for the lag he's experiencing... its tripe talk.

Another thing i noticed, is that in any of the screenshots ive seen, the server name is always Ps4-Monkey, never changes. Now im sure that this is some sort of clustered resource across EA's DC's, (there is one in Citywest) and also that Warsaw must be code for Bf4 cos even guys in the US get that name, but for troubleshooting purposes it would be easier to tell us the exact server name \ host that we are connecting to rather than a generic name.
Advertisement
28-03-2014, 13:41   #756
Spear

No, actually there is no obvious issue with their infrastructure, and yes it really is an issue with a users connectivity and their ISPs. The internet is not a static or permament thing with infinite bandwidth in every direction. Fibres get cut by careless moron in JCBs, equipment fails, and scrounging ISPs let peering points get saturated. That last point is the most common issue people are seeing. Given the economic issues over the last few years, many ISPs, often the older ones, have failed to boost their infrastructure, and instead continued to milk their members of the the public as their cash-cows. Since peering points work on a zero-sum reconciliation model, there's no money to be earned there, and ISPs have let them get saturated, and only begrudgingly upgrade them once there's an outweighing risk of customer churn. Saying you've got a 200 meg connection, so it can't be your ISP, is just nonsense. It doesn't matter what speed your last mile is, whether it's a 56k modem or a 200meg DoCSIS 3.0 job from UPC, you're all taking the same routes, and going through the same peering points with the same priority. If the BF4 diag screen showed the routing involved, you'd see the massive variation that's possible.
28-03-2014, 14:12   #757
keithc83

I haven't been playing BF4 for long but I can tell now when the lag is an issue on my side or with EA Servers. I don't think Ireland has the best broadband infratstructure at all (putting it nicely!) and when you live out in the sticks like I do its even worse. So I know that I have to put up with some lag/rubberbanding to start with. But if i can play other games on the same connection without issues, why can't it be that way on BF4? Hopefully it can be like that finally with these patches.
28-03-2014, 14:17   #758
Fieldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithc83 View Post
I haven't been playing BF4 for long but I can tell now when the lag is an issue on my side or with EA Servers. I don't think Ireland has the best broadband infratstructure at all (putting it nicely!) and when you live out in the sticks like I do its even worse. So I know that I have to put up with some lag/rubberbanding to start with. But if i can play other games on the same connection without issues, why can't it be that way on BF4? Hopefully it can be like that finally with these patches.
Same as me, most of mine seems resolved, I do get the odd bad lag and I get so pissed off I just switch it off!

I'm beginning to wonder is the PS4 internal WiFi module is ****e, seems hit and miss compared to my PS3 or 360 for that matter....
Thanks from:
28-03-2014, 14:30   #759
allybhoy

Look, I dont want to get into a technical argument but I work in IT, im CCNA certified and have a decent understanding of protocols and routing, i actually used to work in the DC where EA now host their servers.
To blame users ISP's is a cheapshot, end of. Might count for 5% of total affected users thats it.

The common denominator here is Dice, there are tens of thousands of users who are experiencing lag who were unaffected in other games, the game was released unfinished and not for purpose. Go play Lagcang Dam right now on a European server, blow up the dam and see what happens, Your telling me packet loss or latency issues are occurring at the very moment that levelution events are but not before or after? Honest question, Have you played BF3 or BC2 recently? The hit detection in those games is so sharp compared to BF4.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-03-2014, 14:54   #760
thurlesdrunk

Rifle Expert mission this weekend lads - Get the most kills with assault rifles in a round.
Dust off the AK's for 9pm kick off as usual. :-)
(3) thanks from:
28-03-2014, 15:13   #761
Spear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allybhoy View Post
Look, I dont want to get into a technical argument but I work in IT, im CCNA certified and have a decent understanding of protocols and routing, i actually used to work in the DC where EA now host their servers.
To blame users ISP's is a cheapshot, end of. Might count for 5% of total affected users thats it.

The common denominator here is Dice, there are tens of thousands of users who are experiencing lag who were unaffected in other games, the game was released unfinished and not for purpose. Go play Lagcang Dam right now on a European server, blow up the dam and see what happens, Your telling me packet loss or latency issues are occurring at the very moment that levelution events are but not before or after? Honest question, Have you played BF3 or BC2 recently? The hit detection in those games is so sharp compared to BF4.
I was referring to the general case, as the poor state of peering is a general and widespread issue, and not specific to BF.
28-03-2014, 16:04   #762
Fieldog

Thinking of getting a set of these :

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...3EHOMEPLUG.htm

But I'm sure my laggy woes are with BF4 and not my net, - I'm in the sticks but I'm on a 50mb line w 22 upload, and my ping is around 24ms

I'd rather get a set of those as opposed to pulling Ethernet cable around the house, I'm beginning to think the Thompson router that Magnet provided me with is fairly ****e also, so all these things could be contributing, mind you I did find a full 3 bar game the other day straight after the patch....(first time in weeks)
28-03-2014, 16:08   #763
paul_booth_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozattack View Post
Paul, thanks.

I am UPC too and I think the best possible speed (not sure)

Are you wireless or wired connection?

For the record, I only play European and only play with 4 bars too (for Ping) so it is strange how different are outcomes have been.
Sorry, I've a wired connection. Must have accidentally deleted some of the sentence when I was rewording it.

I'm really outta my depth with all this technical jargon here but at the end of the day, if I buy a game which to all intents and purposes is supposed the pinnacle of what an online shooter should be, it should bloody work consistently before it's released.
Maybe it's nostalgia with most people, but I can remember when bf3 was iffy at launch. It took a good while before they ironed out the kinks. Even nearing the end, bf3 was hardly renowned for its hit detection. Dying around corners and trade kills were fairly common, but the fact we long for those days shows just how far bf4 has to go.
My biggest gripe is the fact that DICE/EA seems to be inadvertently driving a wedge between the community. PC elitists have long been part of it, I genuinely don't mind them because realistically, the consoles do hinder progress and innovation. Conversely, I think I'd be correct in saying that consoles make up the larger player base so of course they have to be catered to. DICE hinted to it themselves during bf3 that they had to cut some stuff the consoles would struggle with. They outright admitted it this time round that the old gen consoles are holding the game back. Now we have the PC guys, the current gen, and the old gen. Not to mention premium vs non-premium and Sony vs Microsoft.
I think at this stage they really owe the community as a whole an apology or at least an honest explanation. Too many players are having too many problems
28-03-2014, 16:35   #764

BF4 is broken in many aspects and EA are in damage control, they have taken over responding in the Battlelog forums and adding the packet loss and lag meters don't fix the issues but appease the fact it exists somewhat to pull you into some sorta of delusion that they're aware of it and will fix it but more than likely will not, even their 2 test servers are terrible.

Internet routes and isp structures have been improved over the years and this is not the first Battlefield game, and not the first to host 64 player games and most of them were close to 10 years ago and they didn't suffer with the same amount of lag and issues bf4 has, which to be honest has not been right since launch and almost seems unfixable almost 6 months later.
28-03-2014, 16:35   #765
mozattack

Hmmmm, maybe it is down to having a wired versus wireless connection... any thoughts?
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion