Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Healy Raes

Options
  • 22-05-2018 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Surely a walking argument against democracy?

I don't think I've ever heard any of them say anything that displayed any kind of education or knowledge on a subject.

The amount of air time they get is scandalous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭dude_abided

riemann wrote: »

I don't think I've ever heard any of them say anything that displayed any kind of education or knowledge on a subject.

I thought they actually did quite well by their constituency from the sounds of it (building Kilgarvan road, providing for area etc). Irrespective of if you like them or not, surely that's showing democracy working?

Shane Ross on the other hand....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

I thought they actually did quite well by their constituency from the sounds of it (building Kilgarvan road, providing for area etc). Irrespective of if you like them or not, surely that's showing democracy working?

Yeah I hear they supplied all the plant also, for a small fee of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭North inner city hoodlum

A great bunch of lads!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

Dose of scour when they start raving on about post offices closing considering they have regional sorting office, parish post office, one daughter a post mistress and another daughter post delivery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Gobsheens of the highest order

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

At least they aren't from the same county as me that's all i have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well for people who lack an education. They seem to have a lot of respect in their area and they also own several business and are very well off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

We should count ourselves lucky that not every rural constituency has a Healy Rae because they would do very well indeed. They're good at what they do and generate a lot of publicity with their contrarian views and their us vs Dublin 4 carry on they come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Don’t forget their government contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

parish pump politicians. There is hardly an OPW contract in Kerry that danny doesn't get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Well I tell you now it’s like dis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭satguy

They work hard for their county. (Kerry) The whole county.

Wasters like Shane Ross only work hard for their D4 constituency, and could care less about the rest of us. HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 32,976 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

satguy wrote: »

Wasters like Shane Ross only work hard for their D4 constituency, and could care less about the rest of us. HERE

I think they are meant to work for the whole country? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

They're politicians, not intellectuals, and they're considerably much better at their jobs than most of the shower of shytehawks who are our elected representatives. If anyone were a walking argument against democracy, it's politicians who do sweet fcukall for their constituents, and are taking home the same inflated and unjustifiable salaries as the Healy Raes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

If you are elected to the national legislature, you legislate for the nation. You don't draw money away from other areas that need it to buy votes.

It's democracy not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

2dgrqzq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Anthracite wrote: »
    If you are elected to the national legislature, you legislate for the nation. You don't draw money away from other areas that need it to buy votes.

It's democracy not working.

It's the essence of a representative democracy?

Representatives of their constituents, elected by their constituents, to represent their constituents interests at national level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

They embody all that is wrong with Irish politics. Pubs and primarily money from public sector seem to have financed their family empire for generations. The also figured out the the most efficient way to ensure a constant flow of public funds directly to their private enterprise is through getting elected first to Co. Co. and they as TDs. I'm not suggesting they are doing anything illegal. They are just highlighting what an inept system we have.
    On an individual level they are ignorance personified..... Blocking drink driving laws, claiming electric cars are dangerous in the wet (due to electrocution), talking biblical bull**** about retribution etc etc..... They and their ilk are a ****ing scour on our country....
    I have nothing but distain for them personally and all that justify or support their existence in public life...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think it's unfair of this thread to pick on the Healy-Raes when it could so easily have also included Mattie McGrath and Michael Lowry. A missed opportunity there OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Ive a begrudging respect for them and their ability to play the system. In fairness to them, they work very hard and you wont hear a bad word said about them in Kerry.

That said, that they get elected to a national parliament and spend their days sorting medical cards and drainage is ridiculous. The deliver for their constituents, but it should be done at as local level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I'm not from kerry but I've spent a lot of time in kerry throughout my life and while I agree, on the face of it, they're a pack of gombeens... You can't deny the work they do for kerry people. You won't find a kerry man who doesn't atleast have a friend or family member who has been genuinely helped by one of the healyraes. That's why they'll continue to get elected. They'll bend over backwards for their constituents and you can't say that for a lot of td's. Plus they believe that fairys destroyed the cork to Killarney road. Whats not to like about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

satguy wrote: »

County kerry is the constituency

dulux99 wrote: »
    I'm not from kerry but I've spent a lot of time in kerry throughout my life and while I agree, on the face of it, they're a pack of gombeens... You can't deny the work they do for kerry people. You won't find a kerry man who doesn't atleast have a friend or family member who has been genuinely helped by one of the healyraes. That's why they'll continue to get elected. They'll bend over backwards for their constituents and you can't say that for a lot of td's. Plus they believe that fairys destroyed the cork to Killarney road. Whats not to like about that?

Just to give a quick anecdote to further get my point across - I was at a work function in Dublin and was staying in a hotel on Harcourt Street. We were coming out of the hotel (about 8 of us) and one of our party is a kerry woman. Walking into the hotel was Michael Healy Rae, and he called my colleague from across the car park by name. She stopped and they had a chat for a solid 15 minutes, and he asked her how all the family and extended family were keeping - and knew everyone by name. You'd swear that these two knew each other all their lives but she told us later on that she'd only met him once or twice, and he remembered her from those encounters. It was bizarre and quite frankly weird to see him rattle off each member of her family and know so much about each person.

Boggers eh, who'd have em!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

Just to give a quick anecdote to further get my point across - I was at a work function in Dublin and was staying in a hotel on Harcourt Street. We were coming out of the hotel (about 8 of us) and one of our party is a kerry woman. Walking into the hotel was Michael Healy Rae, and he called my colleague from across the car park by name. She stopped and they had a chat for a solid 15 minutes, and he asked her how all the family and extended family were keeping - and knew everyone by name. You'd swear that these two knew each other all their lives but she told us later on that she'd only met him once or twice, and he remembered her from those encounters. It was bizarre and quite frankly weird to see him rattle off each member of her family and know so much about each person.

For somebody not from Kerry or for somebody who doesn’t know anything about them you can sure tell few stories all good on the Healy Rae s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

For somebody not from Kerry or for somebody who doesn’t know anything about them you can sure tell few stories all good on the Healy Rae s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

It’s a chapter in how to win friends and influence people. All the greats remembered the names of everybody and one thing about them that’d get them talking.
    One president was known to know all the staff in all the big houses he visited and apparently when introduced he’d find out something about them and say for example they had a cat called pickles he’d walk away and write it down , bill cat called pickles.
    He read the note for a few hours along with all the other ones whenever he got a chance. He’d always remember the people and they always voted for him because it made them feel special to see the politician in the fancy suit and he’d say hey bill how’s pickles.
    I’m rambling.

spurshero wrote: »

I'm from cork and literally said in my post I've spent a good chunk of my life in kerry. I then so happened to work with a kerry woman. Also Paul galvin is my brother and I was born in the aqua dome. But that's where the coincidences end.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Tipperary v Kerry in the All Ireland Red Necks Final?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

They have to be putting on that accent. I can't understand a word out of them. Need subtitles. Gombeen politics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

They are expert politicians. Take notes.

Advertisement