Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

help ps1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

My cousin gave me his PS1 which I'm pretty sure is chipped (I know mine was, and I'm sure we got them done at the same time. Mine died a long time ago).

Any recommendations for some import games that are pretty cheap and need no knowledge of any foreign languages?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭raven999

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I remember having Pocket Fighter from Japan, adorable artwork, lovely game.
    Tons of inexpensive games to play on the PS, you need to buy yourself a copy of Einhander though, simply brilliant.

that einhander looks a fun game not many around

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

raven999 wrote: »
    that einhander looks a fun game not many around

Its incredible, one of the best shumps ever made, by a company who didn't even make shmups, Square.
    This and the Tobal games, also on the PS, showed that they weren't afraid to develop well out of their comfort zone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Its incredible, one of the best shumps ever made, by a company who didn't even make shmups, Square.
    This and the Tobal games, also on the PS, showed that they weren't afraid to develop well out of their comfort zone.

Tobal wasn't Squaresoft though, only published. It was a DreamFactory game which had people that worked on Virtua Fighter and Tekken. Great game and one of the few that ran 60 fps (and I think maybe in the Playstations high res mode).

this is where i am so far with the ps1 sprayed black with white buttons and images what do you think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

this is where i am so far with the ps1 sprayed black with white buttons and images what do you think

Looks great, good job.

What paint did you use?

eddhorse wrote: »
    Looks great, good job.

What paint did you use?

thanks just putting it all back together now hope it works ok after all this the paint i used a car acrylic primer large can only a fiver then rust-oleum acrylic gloss then after a couple of days 2 coats of varnish, i printed the decals myself will put up pic when finished

now finished works ok with music cd will have to get a few games and need to find a black controller

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Looks cool :)

How did you print the white decals ?

Looks cool :)

How did you print the white decals ?

got white decals off ebay and got images on the net did same with dreamcast i have zelda in mind for a snes

• Advertisement

was in rage today to get a ps1 game to test the console after replacing the laser and also to get a us disc to see if the chip is working they had some ps1 games for €1 each so i got 2 and a us demo disc for €1 last of the big spenders :D anyway all is working except us demo disc plays in black & white so what do i need to play import games in color

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

was in rage today to get a ps1 game to test the console after replacing the laser and also to get a us disc to see if the chip is working they had some ps1 games for €1 each so i got 2 and a us demo disc for €1 last of the big spenders :D anyway all is working except us demo disc plays in black & white so what do i need to play import games in color

It means your TV doesn't support 60hz.

Buy a proper RGB scart cable and you'll have colour for everything. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It actually probably isn't the TV. A chipped PS1 will only output 60hz in RGB I believe or some models anyway.

Anyway the fact that you aren't using RGB to begin with is unforgivable,

o1s1n wrote: »
    It means your TV doesn't support 60hz.

Buy a proper RGB scart cable and you'll have colour for everything. ;)

my tv supports 60hz i play my dreamcast on 60hz

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It actually probably isn't the TV. A chipped PS1 will only output 60hz in RGB I believe or some models anyway.

Anyway the fact that you aren't using RGB to begin with is unforgivable,

im not very good at this chip and import stuff

im not very good at this chip and import stuff

It's not chips and import stuff, RGB is pretty much essential for any non HD console. The jump in graphical quality using RGB compared to (shudder) ****ty composite and (barf) rf aerial is immense. Once you see an old console running with a RGB cable you'll run out and buy those cables for all your consoles (just ask Ciderman, composites biggest defender. Bought one to try it out. Within a month he'd bought cables for the rest :) )

The best thing about a PS1 RGB cable is it will work with a PS2 as well so it's a twofer no brainer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

RGB cables should be a first purchase for any console.
    Nothing will make your games look better than a set and the difference really is like night and day.
    I never gave a damn about composite until the day I tried a RGB cable, now I rue the years wasted using composite, its only a marginal improvement on RF tbh.
    And, if you can, pick up a decent CRT, hit the markets tomorrow and get the best one you can.
    If you can get an idea of the model then a quick google on the phone will reveal its RGB compatibility and make an offer.
    A nice little Sony Trinitron is easy to find and gives a great picture via rgb .

It's not chips and import stuff, RGB is pretty much essential for any non HD console. The jump in graphical quality using RGB compared to (shudder) ****ty composite and (barf) rf aerial is immense. Once you see an old console running with a RGB cable you'll run out and buy those cables for all your consoles (just ask Ciderman, composites biggest defender. Bought one to try it out. Within a month he'd bought cables for the rest :) )

The best thing about a PS1 RGB cable is it will work with a PS2 as well so it's a twofer no brainer.

i give rage a ring tomorrow anywhere else in dublin i can get one

Rage won't have them and to be honest they are terrible, I got banned from their facebook page for recommending RGB cables to someone that was looking to improve the picture quality of their old games :rolleyes:

Best place to get them is ebay, they cost next to nothing but just make sure you get them from a good seller, don't cheap out. I recently bought a new PS RGB cable from Amazon and went cheap but it was just a composite cable with RGB connector. Consolegoodsuk are probably the best to buy from when it comes to RGB cables.

Don't cheap out remember for a small price this is going to I prove every game you play.

Yeah, I'd recommend Consolegoods too. They sell some of their stock on ebay, but the rest is on their site.

I ordered a Dreamcast VGA box from them a few months ago and I've had no issues with it.

Were you really banned for mentioning RGB scart cables?

I went in there first when I was looking for something other than RF for the Dreamcast because I was passing it on the way home, but RF was all they had. They're selling VGA cables now though, of course.

• Advertisement

Yeah they banned me from their Facebook page for that.

That's awfully petty

Fair enough, they may not want people advertising stuff that they don't stock, but to ban someone at the mention of them is a bit silly.

I got banned as well, they knew I was a mod here, they had asked for permission early on to publicise their endeavours in retrogaming sales here, and I seemed to get dropped from all things RAGE, ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

Rage won't have them and to be honest they are terrible, I got banned from their facebook page for recommending RGB cables to someone that was looking to improve the picture quality of their old games :rolleyes:

Best place to get them is ebay, they cost next to nothing but just make sure you get them from a good seller, don't cheap out. I recently bought a new PS RGB cable from Amazon and went cheap but it was just a composite cable with RGB connector. Consolegoodsuk are probably the best to buy from when it comes to RGB cables.

Don't cheap out remember for a small price this is going to I prove every game you play.

You can afford to cheap out as long as this is the cable you buy:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Sony-Playstation-PS1-PS2-PS3-RGB-AV-Scart-Lead-Cable-/291366265227?pt=UK_Video_Games_Cables_and_Adaptors&hash=item43d6c8618b

Myself and a few others have that exact cable and the picture quality is amazing.

And it has the handy guncon input built in also as well as an audio output half if you wanted to hook it upto an amplifier.

Good to know in case I try to mod my RGB cable again and ruin it like last time :)

i rang rage yesterday no luck there rgb cables are hard to find here had a look on ebay and have seen a few complaints about buying some rgb cables off ebay they are not what is advertised

As I said either use the trusted sellers I gave you there or else the link that Doge just gave which seems like the cheapest option.

Doge wrote: »

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Sony-Playstation-PS1-PS2-PS3-RGB-AV-Scart-Lead-Cable-/291366265227?pt=UK_Video_Games_Cables_and_Adaptors&hash=item43d6c8618b

Myself and a few others have that exact cable and the picture quality is amazing.

And it has the handy guncon input built in also as well as an audio output half if you wanted to hook it upto an amplifier.

i will go for one of these as consolegoodsuk dont have any

Doge wrote: »

my rgb cable arrived today the one that was recommended and i set it up still plays in black and white would it be the telly its a samsung 46in smart

• Advertisement

Some TV's only have one scart socket wired for true RGB. Try the AV1 channel socket.

Advertisement