Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish gun licence application form?

• 10-11-2010 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Im wondering about the FCA1
    SECTION 3 - FIREARM DETAILS

where it asks for YOUR new firearm details, make.model,type etc. But how are you meant to buy a firearm if you do not have a licence to do so?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

pboyle12 wrote: »
    Im wondering about the FCA1
    SECTION 3 - FIREARM DETAILS

where it asks for YOUR new firearm details, make.model,type etc. But how are you meant to buy a firearm if you do not have a licence to do so?

go to a firearms dealer, choose the firearm you want, place a deposit and the dealer will give you a paperwork stating what type of firearm you are buying..

what are you thinking of getting

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pboyle12

jap gt wrote: »
    go to a firearms dealer, choose the firearm you want, place a deposit and the dealer will give you a paperwork stating what type of firearm you are buying..

what are you thinking of getting

Right thanks a million. Remington 870 pump-action.

best thing to do is find a dealer that will give you the best deal, he will tell you what you need to do, if he doesnt give much info post up here lads here will be happy to help out

good luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭lamper35

Correct me if im wrong but i think pumpaction shotguns are restricted:confused:

lamper35 wrote: »
    Correct me if im wrong but i think pumpaction shotguns are restricted:confused:

as far as i know they arent aslong as they cant hold more than 3 cartridges

op what type of shooting are you thinking of doing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭lamper35

jap gt wrote: »

op what type of shooting are you thinking of doing

cool jap that clears that up then

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You pick out the firearm you want to buy. You place a deposit on the firearm. The dealer will provide you with a letter/note on headed paper stating the make, model, serial number of the firearm. You fill in your FCA1 and attach the note from the dealer. Submit your application, and upon successful granting of the license you get the actual license and return to the dealer, pay the balance and off you go.

Do no forget you will need to do a competency course prior to applying for your first firearm and submit the certificate, you get after successfully completing the course, with your application/FCA1.

I say this as your question about how to fill in the form, and how to buy a gun seems to be one of many regular questions of someone new to shooting.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Excellent choice!

Go check out Remington's WebSite. They are practically giving stocks away.
    http://www.remingtoncountrystore.com/PartsPaging.aspx?layout=0&number=3&catalogid=1&categoryid=3586&topcat=1038

Don't know if they ship to Ireland, but hopefully, you have a cousin in the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

ezridax wrote: »
    ............Do no forget you will need to do a competency course prior to applying for your first firearm and submit the certificate, you get after successfully completing the course, with your application/FCA1..........

And/or you can prove to your Supers satisfaction, which is at his/her discretion, that you are competant with a/the firearm. Best to ask your in your local station what they require ;)

Cheers for all the replys. And also im only 16 btw so Im not too knowledgable on all the ins and outs I need. I have 2 land permissions but I havent got the compentancy course. Does anyone know where in the dublin area this can be done and how long does it go on for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

This sounds very much like a first-time application, so to quote Fachtna:

First time applicants for firearms certificates may demonstrate that they have acquired a degree of competency in the use of firearms by satisfying the issuing person of having attended a firearms training course, or of having joined an authorised rifle or pistol club or range for the purpose of gaining competency in firearms use, or having previously been granted a firearms training certificate.

So, as this would be a first-time application for a restricted firearm the OP would have to first discuss it with their "issuing person", i.e. the Chief Super, and since it's for a shotgun, not a rifle or pistol, they would have to have, no doubt, "attended a firearms training course" (to quote the Commissar).

Correct, jap gt AFAIK - But also, the OP should make sure he doesn't get the Remington 870 with the pistol grip as that would be restricted on that basis also.
    im only 16 btw so Im not too knowledgable on all the ins and outs

I have to say, and I don't want to sound like a pr**k here, but should a 16 year old with obviously no shooting experience or knowledge not be looking at something other than a pump-action shotgun as their first gun?

Maybe some tuition from more experience shooters and some direction as to the safe use of shotguns would be a good starting point. Some clays or accompanying experienced lads out in the field, with an sxs or o/u may be a better place to start?

As bunnyshooter said sometimes the Gardai will accept previous experience with a firearm as being adequate, but at your age this may be an issue and they may still require the course. As advised ring your local station and ask what the necessary requirements would be.

If a course is necessary contact the NARGC as they will advise as to the closest range that provides the courses and where.

Just to clarify for all, it is only restricted if it has a pistol grip or capable of holding more than 3 cartridges.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

dCorbus wrote: »
    This sounds very much like a first-time application, so to quote Fachtna:

So, as this would be a first-time application for a restricted firearm the OP would have to first discuss it with their "issuing person", i.e. the Chief Super, and since it's for a shotgun, not a rifle or pistol, they would have to have, no doubt, "attended a firearms training course" (to quote the Commissar).

Correct, jap gt AFAIK - But also, the OP should make sure he doesn't get the Remington 870 with the pistol grip as that would be restricted on that basis also.

I have to say, and I don't want to sound like a pr**k here, but should a 16 year old with obviously no shooting experience or knowledge not be looking at something other than a pump-action shotgun as their first gun?

Maybe some tuition from more experience shooters and some direction as to the safe use of shotguns would be a good starting point. Some clays or accompanying experienced lads out in the field, with an sxs or o/u may be a better place to start?

I have been shooting guns of all types since I was about 10 as my dad and uncles always had guns but when they applied for their licences things were different so im just trying to get my facts right now before I get a gun of my own as I love clay shooting and hunting.

can i ask why a pump action, i fired one once and hated it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

A shotgun
    is only restricted if it has a pistol grip or capable of holding more than 3 cartridges
    or has a detached, folding or telescopic stock,
    or has barrel is less than 60.9 centimetres (24 inches) in length
    ;):D

(Sorry ezridax, i couldn't resist!)
    I have been shooting guns of all types since I was about 10
    Fair enough, pboyle12, but don't state that in your application whatever you do. Have you held a Training Firearm Cert during this time, as this will help your application considerably?
    when they applied for their licences things were different
    We've all applied for licences under the same new regime. Or did they not "renew" their licences in the last year?
    im just trying to get my facts right now before I get a gun of my own as I love clay shooting and hunting
    Can't fault a lad for that. Always best to do the research first. You've obviously been shooting regularly and have made contacts with shooters over the last five years, since you were 10, what advice have your more experienced shooters given you?

I still reckon a pump-action as a first-time firearm may be a push to get passed your FO, but you'll only know for sure when you go and have a chat with them (which is no bad thing to do anyway).

dCorbus wrote:
    or has a detached, folding or telescopic stock,
    or has barrel is less than 60.9 centimetres (24 inches) in length
    wink.gifbiggrin.gif

(Sorry ezridax, i couldn't resist!)

Valid points. It was mentioned previouslty that a pump is restricted. Its not under certain conditions. same as all firearms. At least now the OP has a full list of what makes it restricted.

To the OP

You want to do clays and some general hunting. Small piece of advice. Stay clear of a pump action. They look great and are capable of doing the job, but you could start with something more apt to a person of your experience.

A pump action requires a certain "ability" to use. As you have to slighty come of target to cycle the next round. You can oversome this with practice and experience, but as a first time gun ............... i'm not so sure. Its like buying a centerfire rifle in .338 when you have only ever fired a pellet gun. Yes you have experience, but not the skills.

An O/U is a perfect starter shotgun. Also if you want to do clays on a clay ground/range then you may find yourself being excluded as semi autos and pump actions are frowned upon at some events.

I'm not being smart when i say this. Its a word of caution and advice. Just a thought.

Great advice I might get an O/U then instead only problem is they can be priceier than a pump. How long will the process take before i hear if I have got a licence or not?

You can a new O/U for about €550 or so. You can get a great quality second hand one for the same money. Have a look at some of the following (old post of mine) and realise while some prices quoted are new they can be gotten for less second hand.
    For about €1,000 you would a great selection of both new and second hand shotguns. Two big questions would be how much have you to spend and which do you prefer, over/under or semi-auto? If its clays with some game shooting i would suggest an Over/Under. Bettinsoli are a good, reliable and decent shotgun.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwhtN0FPBfNrZ4c_z7br5lk0nigQ1YTJHs1-mdKEt4RFsYCIA&t=1&usg=__7x5Y3VXfHGaFBqUfq7gmQfQoMDk=

Owned by Beretta they have the pedigree without the larger price tag. The Diamond line comes in around €1,000, but as with all shotguns you can get them for €800 up to €1,400. There is quite a good market for second hand shotguns at the moment also. With Beretta, Browning and other makes of a "higher" quality shotgun going for up to €1,400 max. Best advice is to look around. A good shotgun will pick you rather than vice versa so do not let the brand draw you to a gun. Fit is all important regardless of name. Shotguns such as Baikal ..........

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoAWMcUrgHjQGUosS1WM6_6zpkkYeBlU_JwTZ3-GmI7GWBmLI&t=1&usg=__TB0aKruIWR0ZgyWv6dE07eXmWr8=

..............are popular with some while others would not touch them, and at around €500 - €700 new the price really cannot be beaten. If its semi-auot you are looking for my own preference is the Beretta AL 391, standard model, €1,000.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVcVmW_NfjufGNe5GTeGeELpXteM1ZtY3-7ADhOBYlrLKGrPs&t=1&usg=__3XTdHzuhyWp_cw4vA9YAH6z5x4Q=

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Barrett12

How would I get a license on my fathers shotgun

You fill out an FCA1, and in section 4.1 you enter your Father's license details. You also need a letter of permission from your father to say he has given you permission to use the firearm.

It's still a full application just instead of the gun being bought and stored by you it already is by your Father however you need your own license. It will also cost you €80 for your license unless you go for a training license. Its cheaper, but comes with preset conditions on how you may use the gun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement