Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster vs Munster, Fri 4th Sept 7:35pm, Eir Sport / Eir Sport FB page

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

It’s a career defining match for Kelleher. Hit your man in the lineout and he’s first choice. Fail and his whole career could be in jeopardy. I honestly don’t know why Cullen has started him against the best defensive lineout in Europe after his last showing. Perhaps to redeem himself. It’s a risky move and one I have a bad feeling about

Yes, one of the most promising hookers in Ireland that is rated highly by Ireland best ever hooker should be thrown away after one to two games :-)

Did you happen to notice who he was throwing to last week and who he is throwing to this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Munster
    Not hugely worried about this game to be honest. I get the feeling if Leinster took the field 5 minutes after kick off, Munster would still struggle to score with JJ at 10. Shorn of their big ball carriers in Snyman and Kilcoyne, I just can’t see them creating enough scoring opportunities to win the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Superfoods wrote: »
    Yes, one of the most promising hookers in Ireland that is rated highly by Ireland best ever hooker should be thrown away after one to two games :-)

Did you happen to notice who he was throwing to last week and who he is throwing to this week?

Last week Was Munster mainly.

Last week Was Munster mainly.

Yes, but remind me who won? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SkinnyGuy7

Guys casual fan here getting more interested. Can someone explain how Leinster beat Munster in the Pro 14 recently yet they are now playing again in the semi final?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

SkinnyGuy7 wrote: »
    Guys casual fan here getting more interested. Can someone explain how Leinster beat Munster in the Pro 14 recently yet they are now playing again in the semi final?

Leinster top of their pool, Munster 2md in the other pool, 1st plays 2nd from opposite pools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

stephen_n wrote: »
    Not hugely worried about this game to be honest. I get the feeling if Leinster took the field 5 minutes after kick off, Munster would still struggle to score with JJ at 10. Shorn of their big ball carriers in Snyman and Kilcoyne, I just can’t see them creating enough scoring opportunities to win the game.

Somehow without those 2 a couple of weeks back we were only a missed conversion from a draw.

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Welcome on board.

If you imagine the Pro14 is like the Championship in soccer in England, where you have the regular season then the playoffs at the end, with the only difference being the team at the top have to play in the playoffs in order to win the title. In reality it's a waste of time, because nobody can compete with the volume of players and money in Leinster, so it's like a competition to see who gets beat by Leinster in the final.

On another note, we are living in strange times, with the top players playing in the league in September. Playing in the league before March / April is not the done thing, it only happens when you're in desperate need of a run out.

In general, the league is a ridiculous half-arsed competition with disinterested owners. When I have more time, I'll explain the absurdity of it all in more detail.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Munster
    awec wrote: »

In reality it's a waste of time, because nobody can compete with the volume of players and money in Leinster, so it's like a competition to see who gets beat by Leinster in the final.

Ha. John Muldoon laughs at your defeatism! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

In general, the league is a ridiculous half-arsed competition with disinterested owners. When I have more time, I'll explain the absurdity of it all in more detail.

:D

so in all seriousness would you like to see a European league replacing the H-Cup? (with relegation / promotion)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

tenor.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Munster
    kingtiger wrote: »

so in all seriousness would you like to see a European league replacing the H-Cup? (with relegation / promotion)

British/Irish League is the better alternative to what we have now. Only drawback would be that it would take away from both European competitions.

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

kingtiger wrote: »

Maybe, or a B+I league. I would happily see the HCup have it's wings clipped if it meant an improved league, it is nuts that the product we watch almost every week is run in such a half arsed manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Leinster's victory tonight will be even sweeter than usual.

Another bump in the road for Project Munster.

#StopTryingToMakeMunsterHappen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Munster
    Skyfloater wrote: »
    Does Casey pose a running threat. Murray doesn't seem to back himself anymore with the sniping runs.

I've seen him make a few darts off the back of a maul.
    When he arrives at a ruck he just fires the ball out incredibly quick. His height definitely helps him at that and conversely hinders Murray

Guys casual fan here getting more interested

Welcome on board.

J01e7mU.png
    it's a waste of time, because nobody can compete with the volume of players and money in Leinster

20CyVWa.png

WQS5v6T.png

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Munster

Welcome SkinnyGuy. Others have answered the general jist of the question above. Allow me to provide an alternative (and altogether more positive) view of the league.....

Obvioiwly Ireland, Scotland and Wales (the original Celtic League cointries) are far smaller countries than England or France with a fraction the number of pro teams as a result. This means that each pro team has a larger number of internationals than a standard French or English club. And each international is proportionally more valuable to the Unions than in England or France given the relative scarcity of players compared to those larger countries.

This has led to a couple of things. The first is a heavy reliance on the national teams. The majority of the money for the game comes from the 6Ns in the smaller countries. Our market for the league (divided at this stage across 2 hemispheres and 5 countries) is never going to be on par with the markets in England or France. So the revenues aren't there for our league as it is for theirs.

The second is the player welfare system in Ireland that looks to manage the playing time of our top tier players to better ensure maximum fitness & availability at key times during the season. This means that there are games in the league that are played with second string sides.

The third is the importance of the few pro teams we have in developing players. We have 4 starting slots available every week compared to 12 in England and 14 in France. So we need to utilise those spaces to keep our top tier players up to speed but also to ensure that we have adequate back up to those guys should they get injured or suffer a drop in form. For both the provinces and the national team. So the blooding of younger players in those second string games actually serves a purpose in and of itself. A good few guys who started in those games in the last few years have now pushed on to the national team like Dan Leavy, Caelin Doris etc.

Essentially the league here is part of the pathway to the national team. But that development aspect is far more pronounced here than in England for example. In England they can blood 20 young players and that averages at under 2 per team. You simply wouldn't notice it. In Ireland that would average 5 per team, which is a third of the team.

Theres little point in comparing leagues directly. Its apples and oranges. However in the last 10-15 years, when the league has been reasonably consistent and the various systems in Ireland have been in place, we have shown to be as competitive as England or France in the HEC and in the 6Ns, ie we are punching above our weight. The World Cup has been an outlier in terms of our failures there, but that seems to be down to other factors than the league. That's the final hurdle for Irish rugby to clear. That aside we are in a very good place and the league plays its part in that.

molloyjh wrote: »

Obvioiwly

2bsv1z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

molloyjh wrote: »
    Welcome SkinnyGuy. Others have answered the general jist of the question above. Allow me to provide an alternative (and altogether more positive) view of the league.....

Obvioiwly Ireland, Scotland and Wales (the original Celtic League cointries) are far smaller countries than England or France with a fraction the number of pro teams as a result. This means that each pro team has a larger number of internationals than a standard French or English club. And each international is proportionally more valuable to the Unions than in England or France given the relative scarcity of players compared to those larger countries.

This has led to a couple of things. The first is a heavy reliance on the national teams. The majority of the money for the game comes from the 6Ns in the smaller countries. Our market for the league (divided at this stage across 2 hemispheres and 5 countries) is never going to be on par with the markets in England or France. So the revenues aren't there for our league as it is for theirs.

The second is the player welfare system in Ireland that looks to manage the playing time of our top tier players to better ensure maximum fitness & availability at key times during the season. This means that there are games in the league that are played with second string sides.

The third is the importance of the few pro teams we have in developing players. We have 4 starting slots available every week compared to 12 in England and 14 in France. So we need to utilise those spaces to keep our top tier players up to speed but also to ensure that we have adequate back up to those guys should they get injured or suffer a drop in form. For both the provinces and the national team. So the blooding of younger players in those second string games actually serves a purpose in and of itself. A good few guys who started in those games in the last few years have now pushed on to the national team like Dan Leavy, Caelin Doris etc.

Essentially the league here is part of the pathway to the national team. But that development aspect is far more pronounced here than in England for example. In England they can blood 20 young players and that averages at under 2 per team. You simply wouldn't notice it. In Ireland that would average 5 per team, which is a third of the team.

Theres little point in comparing leagues directly. Its apples and oranges. However in the last 10-15 years, when the league has been reasonably consistent and the various systems in Ireland have been in place, we have shown to be as competitive as England or France in the HEC and in the 6Ns, ie we are punching above our weight. The World Cup has been an outlier in terms of our failures there, but that seems to be down to other factors than the league. That's the final hurdle for Irish rugby to clear. That aside we are in a very good place and the league plays its part in that.

TLDR; pay no attention Awec, he is a grumpy bugger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Some trivia in IT today on Ringrose

At school he was sub scrumhalf on the JCT, played fullback in fourth and fifth year and it was only an injury to another player that saw him switch to the number 13 jersey. It is a role in which he has thrived for province and country. He’s scored eight tries for Ireland but also has a 100 per cent kicking return, having landed a touchline conversion in a Test match against the USA on a summer tour in 2017. He is an ambassador for LauraLynn, the Children’s hospice based in Leopardstown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Neil Francis
    CMcsporty wrote: »
    Some trivia in IT today on Ringrose

At school he was sub scrumhalf on the JCT, played fullback in fourth and fifth year and it was only an injury to another player that saw him switch to the number 13 jersey. It is a role in which he has thrived for province and country. He’s scored eight tries for Ireland but also has a 100 per cent kicking return, having landed a touchline conversion in a Test match against the USA on a summer tour in 2017. He is an ambassador for LauraLynn, the Children’s hospice based in Leopardstown.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing him at FB, he's the right shape and size for that. Leinster missing a trick again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I actually wouldn't mind seeing him at FB, he's the right shape and size for that. Leinster missing a trick again.

Yeah put our best 13 since BOD at fullback because "he's the right shape"

Jesus wept

Leinster missed far too many tricks this season

• Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Munster
    Leinster missing a trick again.

Having Irelands best 13 playing at 13 is not missing a trick.

Especially considering that Leinster also had Irelands best 15 playing at full back during ringroses early days

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ah lads.

Oh my gawd

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think everyone might want to take a deep breath and stop falling for a wind up

salmocab wrote: »
    I think everyone might want to take a deep breath and stop falling for a wind up

I doubt it was a wind up that's the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Jesus lads, you must have all been wingers. Not a braincell between you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    Jesus lads, you must have all been wingers. Not a braincell between you.

You know you want to.

#JoinUsBuer

Advertisement