Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypnosis for studying Course

• 03-07-2020 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey all
    I'm thinking of getting hypnotherapy to remember information specifically remembering Information for a Pharmaceutical GetReskilled Course
    Has anyone had hypnosis to study? What are your experiences? It would also be helpful to know what you told a hypnotherapist that you would like during a session etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭dango

Hi, I don't really know of any evidence base for the use of hypnosis for studying. You will study more effectively and save considerable amounts of money by researching effective study habits and spending the time using them. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭cyllyn28

.983754 wrote: »
    Hey all
    I'm thinking of getting hypnotherapy to remember information specifically remembering Information for a Pharmaceutical GetReskilled Course
    Has anyone had hypnosis to study? What are your experiences? It would also be helpful to know what you told a hypnotherapist that you would like during a session etc

It might work for you....and it might not....If you're having problems, it might be because you're not organising your study properly. The most effective methods I've found, are finding your fatigue limits (how many minutes until it's not going in anymore..and they can be very short), and when to switch...switching is good for fighting fatigue...and using a clock, timing when you switch. Hypnosis, if it works, will make you more relaxed and focused. If it makes you feel better and more confident, do the hypnosis, anxiety is the worst thing you can have for either exams or studying is anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

I don't think it's a good idea, things studied in a trance state are difficult to remember when not in a trance state. Kind of like how when you are drunk you remember things you'd completely forgotten since the last time you were drunk. It's called mood dependent or state dependent memory

However, if anxiety causes you to forget stuff that you've learned while in exams, learning self-hypnosis or breathing techniques or mindfulness meditation techniques (whichever you like best is the best one for you) to reduce that anxiety and get you back to your normal level will help you remember stuff

You see here in this picture how we forget everything when our arousal (alertness) gets too high (starts getting called anxiety), and at the same time we can't make ourselves study when it's too low (boredom), that's why self-hypnosis can help you do better, by helping you relax and get back down to peak arousal

1280px-HebbianYerkesDodson.svg.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 nehemiah2378

I had such experience during my high school exams, and the session was quite useful for increasing my learning power, but unfortunately it was all disappeared when the anxiety of exam hit my mind. Practice learning each day and develop good habits of learning for improving memory.

Advertisement