Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Half Life: Alyx VR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Just seeing the price is €1000+ for the kit.. Maybe not!

Anyone receommned the best platform for Alyx under the Index pricepoint?

Got my Answer to compatability...!

2020-03-26_07-58-14.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

ya that lot should see you through for a good few years :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

sticker wrote: »
    Just seeing the price is €1000+ for the kit.. Maybe not!

Anyone receommned the best platform for Alyx under the Index pricepoint?

I don't know it its the best, but I'm using Oculus Quest and its great! It also works as a standalone headset, so you can use some apps/games without being tethered to a PC. Its on the cheaper side (for VR, still expensive.) Rift might be cheaper, but can't be used independently from a PC.

pasta-solo wrote: »
    I don't know it its the best, but I'm using Oculus Quest and its great! It also works as a standalone headset, so you can use some apps/games without being tethered to a PC. Its on the cheaper side (for VR, still expensive.) Rift might be cheaper, but can't be used independently from a PC.

I've a PS4 Pro VR. WOuld the Quest blow it out of the water in terms of performance and aesthetics?

Is there a huge gulf between Valve machine and Quest?

THanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I've a PS4 Pro VR. WOuld the Quest blow it out of the water in terms of performance and aesthetics?

Is there a huge gulf between Valve machine and Quest?

THanks

I've used PSVR, and Oculus is definitely a visual improvement, but not a huge one. The major benefit in my opinion is in ease of use. With Quest, you literally just pop on the headset and you're good to go. PSVR felt like a lot of hassle to set up and use. Quest has better tracking too, in my opinion.

I haven't used Valve Index, but by all accounts its very good, especially the controllers. Again, I'd still prefer the ease of use of the Quest to be honest, especially since Quest Link works quite well. Quest Link is the ability to connect to your PC with a supported cable and use it for Steam VR or any other PCVR games.

pasta-solo wrote: »
    I've used PSVR, and Oculus is definitely a visual improvement, but not a huge one. The major benefit in my opinion is in ease of use. With Quest, you literally just pop on the headset and you're good to go. PSVR felt like a lot of hassle to set up and use. Quest has better tracking too, in my opinion.

I haven't used Valve Index, but by all accounts its very good, especially the controllers. Again, I'd still prefer the ease of use of the Quest to be honest, especially since Quest Link works quite well. Quest Link is the ability to connect to your PC with a supported cable and use it for Steam VR or any other PCVR games.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Thanks!

https://www.reddit.com/r/HalfLife/comments/f2hsql/requirements_for_half_life_alyx_and_how_to_get/#button

Have a read of this, I'm hoping to pickup a Rift S as I'm happy to just use VR while tethered to my PC and feel will get better quality than the link with the Quest!

(Loved my CV1 Rift btw)

Can't seem to find a rift s available for sale!

Shlippery wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/HalfLife/comments/f2hsql/requirements_for_half_life_alyx_and_how_to_get/#button

Have a read of this, I'm hoping to pickup a Rift S as I'm happy to just use VR while tethered to my PC and feel will get better quality than the link with the Quest!

(Loved my CV1 Rift btw)

Is the linked Quest and wired Rift S not the same as they are both using the PC for the heavy lifting? Is the refresh rate not better on Quest?

• Advertisement

Is the linked Quest and wired Rift S not the same as they are both using the PC for the heavy lifting? Is the refresh rate not better on Quest?

The blacks are apparently better on Quest than Rift S so shadows look better.

The Link cable introduces some minor artifacts due to some compression to get the feed into the Quest headset, but to be honest you would hardly notice them, and they are more or less the same. Just that the Quest is a bit heavier?

My Quest via Link is outputting fantastic visuals for Alyx and better than my original Rift.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

I would say the Quest is excellent if you value the fact it can be used independently (personally I do, but a lot wouldn't).

The Rift S is much better value if you just want a VR headset to play PC games on as it's a good bit cheaper.

Depends on your PC, but Rift S or Quest with a good PC is significantly better than PSVR.

Obviously Quest standalone - image quality is good, but the games/experiences are limited by the fact it's all powered by a mobile processor.

I have the Oculus Go, it's amazing for traveling - your own personal cinema on the bus/plane/etc.

Oculus Go is also a great portable fitness device with Racket Fury I find!

I play it out in my garden a lot and it feels 6DoF even though it's only 3DoF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Shred

What a game, it's so fúcking good and as fluid as you'd hope it to be from Valve (I'm playing on a Vive). I love the backpack ammo storing/loading astethic, it's very natural and immersive. The gravity gloves are brilliant and the torch being mounted on the back of your left hand, switching on/off automatically, is awesome too.
    I'm really taking my time and savouring every minute of it. I've just come to the train section in Chapter 3; the headcrabs (especially those armored bastids) are great as have been my initial run ins with the Combine; the dark sections underground had my heart pounding waiting for the next headcrab to come at me; especially that entire section leading up to (and after) obtaining the torch! Brilliant, brilliant stuff.

spoilers please :)

I really need to get more time to play this!

I thought I was being pretty general with my post and didn't think I needed to spoiler tag anything tbh?

Shred wrote: »
    I thought I was being pretty general with my post and didn't think I needed to spoiler tag anything tbh?
    I haven't met a combine or got the torch yet.. there's a torch?!?

:D

mrcheez wrote: »
    I haven't met a combine or got the torch yet.. there's a torch?!?

:D

Ok, fair enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

How much physical space do you need in a room to play this? I'm thinking my current office / gaming room could be very tight for it.

Thinking Rift S if that makes any difference.

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    How much physical space do you need in a room to play this? I'm thinking my current office / gaming room could be very tight for it.

You can play seated, so just space around your chair

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Wonder is the warehouse where the Rift would get distributed from in Dublin operational at all this week.

Bought it Monday night and got a mail saying it will be shipped by today from Dublin. Would be nice to have when the restrictions inevitably get extended.

doylefe wrote: »
    Wonder is the warehouse where the Rift would get distributed from in Dublin operational at all this week.

Bought it Monday night and got a mail saying it will be shipped by today from Dublin. Would be nice to have when the restrictions inevitably get extended.

also give the box a bit of an antibacterial wipe down when you get it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

T-b0n3 wrote: »

I'm. Playing standing at the seated zone. Think it's one metre by one metre. Works fine.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

I decided to scrap my save (I wasn't too far into it) and restart again on Hard (I won't get much time for a replay as I've got a huge backlog so want my single playthrough to be as challenging and realistic as possible). I'm also going to avoid upgrading the pistol scope to make it more realistic which means my aim has to be true instead of assisted.

Playing wirelessly via Quest and Virtual Desktop too.

In order to get max framerate I've had to downgrade the visuals slightly compared to when I was playing using the cable, but the freedom of being wireless more than makes up for it!

Definitely recommend!

Man I'm so glad I didn't get the pistol sight upgrade on my 2nd playthrough... so damn rewarding and challenging.

I saved my resin to get the ammo extender as my first upgrade on the pistol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Just had a proper session tonight, well, up to chapter 4. Gotta be more conservative with my fecking ammo.

Those armored headcrabs will give me a ****ing heart attack.

Shlippery wrote: »
    Just had a proper session tonight, well, up to chapter 4. Gotta be more conservative with my fecking ammo.

Those armored headcrabs will give me a ****ing heart attack.

Playing on hard is..well.. hard... ammo runs out so quickly.

I'm looking forward to a melee mod so that I can attack with a crowbar when ammo runs out.

I'm not sure what chapter I'm on atm but those
    electric ray-type things that re-animate zombies
    are fúckers :D. The section before that in
    the hotel with the barnacles and loads of the dark spider-like headcrabs
    was amazing in how much more conservative my approach was in comparison to a regular (non-VR) game as it's so visceral!
    As an aside, as great as it is with the Vive I decided to bite the bullet and order an Index last night to fully experience it, it'll be great when it arrives in 2021 :pac:

Holy crap
    Jeff!
    :D That whole section bright back many happy memories of the
    3 headed Tenticle
    in HL1!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

How exactly are you suppose to aim the pistol? I got the red dot thing at first, didn't like it and felt i was more accurate without it so reverted back to a previous save.

Now i realize I can't aim the thing for **** either way.

Advertisement