Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Instant access to 5000 newspapers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

mine is still working. when I open the app it says that I have 10 days and 8 hours left till the next renewal. it usually renewed every 30 days. let's see if this time it'll work
    i use it primarily on iOS devices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

According to this site, they're using a service called ProQuest. You need some kind of login info from your library to access it so it might be worth asking at your local one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I use pressreader now, still working fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

xckjoo wrote: »
    According to this site, they're using a service called ProQuest. You need some kind of login info from your library to access it so it might be worth asking at your local one.

I have access to this Proquest thing for years via the Library. But unfortunately, the Proquest service linked from the library website isn't a patch on Pressreader.
    For one thing, instead of the proper modern PDF/switchable text view, style of newspapers and magazines used by Pressreader, Proquest is very primitive. It only lets you see a basic text like something in Netscape 2.0 from Windows 3.1 days.
    The search function is likewise virtually antediluvian, almost to the point of being useless due to the layout, how difficult it is to find anything, and it would simply be easier to use the normal websites of the papers, or Google/MSN/Twitter/Facebook or whatever for news than to use Proquest.

So, my suggestion, from my own checking around for options, is to access a somewhat better service from Proquest which is closer to what we had been using in the Pressreader app, though still not the great experience we had with Pressreader apps. In fact, I think this uses an older part of Pressreader's service called Pressdisplay.
    To access, click "Login" in the blue box at the right of this page, and enter your library number on the page that comes up.
    https://www.proquest.com/products-services/news-newspapers/newspaperdirect_pd.html

I find it doesn't seem to work well for me on MS Edge , but works on others like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and even Internet Explorer 11!

The bad news is that Pressdisplay may disappear too, as there are many references to Pressreader retiring this service and urging users to use their newer service.

Hope some of you find this useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

sweetie wrote: »
    I use pressreader now, still working fine

Same. Does have a countdown on time left alright but working no problem.

• Advertisement

fdevine wrote: »

Interesting that it still works for some and not for others.

In the past I've had a problem with a library card that that would let me do everything except log in to the Borrowbox service for ebooks & audiobooks. Changing to a new library card sorted that out.

I wonder if something similar is happening here with Pressreader and some library cards/numbers?

fdevine wrote:

I timed out today and can't get back in. My Dad's legit Wicklow card doesn't work anymore either.

sweetie wrote: »
    I timed out today and can't get back in. Mt Dad's legit Wicklow card doesn't work anymore either.

Safe to say that between your Dad's Wicklow library number and that of tonkpills, also from Wicklow, failing to log in, that it is not a geographical issue where they are blocking people such as I with a Kerry library card.
    It says Dublin for location under your avatar, sweetie. Are you using a Dublin or a Wicklow library number? Not trying to stalk you. :D Just wondering as, if you were also using a Wicklow library number, that would make 3 Wicklow users who couldn't log in anymore.

duridian wrote: »
    Safe to say that between your Dad's Wicklow library number and that of tonkpills, also from Wicklow, failing to log in, that it is not a geographical issue where they are blocking people such as I with a Kerry library card.
    It says Dublin for location under your avatar, sweetie. Are you using a Dublin or a Wicklow library number? Not trying to stalk you. :D Just wondering as, if you were also using a Wicklow library number, that would make 3 Wicklow users who couldn't log in anymore.

I was using wicklow. I tried signing into Dublin City library and it's working today, must have passed a hotspot!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tonkpills

duridian wrote: »

Just got a new library card from Wicklow today and still getting the error. I was talking to a staff member and he metioned that they recently switched to a new system that you can now use the same library card in any of the libraries in ROI. He did mention that the ability to login to the public computers are broken since they switched, so it could be an issue with their identity provider. Hotspots are still working, just have to remember that I only have 2-3 hours to download the content before it expires.

• Advertisement

Good stuff, tonkpills. Thanks for checking out the situation in Wicklow at the library.

Glad to hear that they actually are in the process of transferring to a system where all counties can access the "real" Pressreader services.

When it first became possible to do so from other counties through login via Wicklow Library I hoped this might be where it was headed. It really makes no sense with digital services like this, which can be accessed from the internet, to have it available in some places but not others.

Looking forward to when it is fully working, and again thanks for the info, to tonkpills and everyone else giving feedback on this

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭go4it

i've used the dun-laoghaire library card number to login and browse the papers; at some point the irish times was available as well, but it's gone now: was handy when was available, since some articles needs to have a subscription to read them on the times website.
    ps:never conected from the library wifi/pc, only from home/work pc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

tonkpills wrote: »
    I was talking to a staff member and he metioned that they recently switched to a new system that you can now use the same library card in any of the libraries in ROI.
    I'm new to public libraries in the past couple of months. But, yes all libraries are now linked. You can use your card anywhere and leave back books anywhere. Inter-library transfers are no problem. It's a good system.

So, could someone summarise what the state of play is re-newspapers. I did try this recently but no Irish Times as someone else pointed out. Do yu get IT with the hotspot trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Trevord

KOR101 wrote: »
    I'm new to public libraries in the past couple of months. But, yes all libraries are now linked. You can use your card anywhere and leave back books anywhere. Inter-library transfers are no problem. It's a good system.

So, could someone summarise what the state of play is re-newspapers. I did try this recently but no Irish Times as someone else pointed out. Do yu get IT with the hotspot trick?

Irish Times is available through Pressreader, but only outside Ireland as best as I can make out. Certainly is available in UK and continental Europe.

Thought I was unaffected by the login issue, but my 30 day login has come to an end.

Normally I'd just login again via Wicklow Libraries on the app, but this time I got "Library is not available at the moment"

Same message when I try to login from a browser on PC.

Hope this gets resolved soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Same thing happened to me, stopped working 3 days ago when my 30-day renewal expired. I now get this message when I try to log in from my Mac: PressReader is temporarily unavailable. Hopefully their fixing it and not taking it down forever! This service was amazing value!! Maybe too good to be true and last forever...

My solution was to use my Dublin City library card number and i'm back in business.

Still a no go with my Kerry Library card. :(

Glad to hear you had success with the Dublin card, sweetie.
    At least that confirms that it is some glitchy thing due to the switchover thing they are doing, and leaves us hope that other area library cards will be sorted in time.
    Sure do miss it though.

duridian wrote:
    Glad to hear you had success with the Dublin card, sweetie. At least that confirms that it is some glitchy thing due to the switchover thing they are doing, and leaves us hope that other area library cards will be sorted in time. Sure do miss it though.

Wasn't there a way to make up a Dublin card number earlier in the thread. Worth a try.

This seems to be working again. Used Wicklow library in the drop-down with a card from Galway library.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Never had an issue with it, working fine all along.

https://10ws.co/1QbBR6s

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

branners69 wrote: »
    Try a nine digit number starting with 08

This has always worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I'm the original op, it actually stopped working for me after a few months. But it seems to be back working again. Happy days!

Here's the newspaper publications on offer for Ireland, sorry for the hatchet copy and paste job.
    http://library.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx

Bray People
    British Heritage Travel
    Drogheda Independent
    Enniscorthy Guardian
    Fingal Independent
    Gorey Guardian
    Hot Press
    Ireland of the Welcomes
    Irish Daily Mirror
    Irish Examiner
    Irish Examiner - Weekend
    Irish Independent
    Irish Sunday Mirror
    Mid Louth Independent
    New Ross Standard
    RTÉ Guide
    RTÉ Guide Christmas Edition 2018
    Racing Ahead
    Sunday Independent (Ireland)
    The Argus
    The Business Travel Magazine
    The Corkman
    The Kerryman (North Kerry)
    The Kerryman (South Kerry Edition)
    The Kerryman (Tralee Edition)
    The Sligo Champion
    Wexford People
    Wicklow People
    Wicklow People (Arklow)
    Wicklow People (West Edition)

I'm the original op, it actually stopped working for me after a few months. But it seems to be back working again. Happy days!

I have been using it weekly for over 3 years now (from another poster at the time) with no problems. Always using a random 9 digit number starting with 08.

Great magazine selection when you select the UK as the country.

To be clear I was referring to the pressreader app, not the older pressdisplay webpage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭johnire

Thanks for posting this-it looks fantastic.
    Do I need to register to get access and if I do which subscription should I pick?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭owen28

johnire wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this-it looks fantastic.
    Do I need to register to get access and if I do which subscription should I pick?
    Thanks.

No need to register. In the library card area type in 800xxxxxx in the library card area.

The number has to be 800 and 6 random digits. E.g 800123456

Trevord wrote: »
    To be clear I was referring to the pressreader app, not the older pressdisplay webpage.

For the app I use my Dublin City library card number, just have to use a cap D and not a small d for it to be accepted.

Have you tried to create a temp library card selecting a Dublin City library, you should be able to login to the app that way. Until your library resolves whatever issue it is having!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Thanks so much OP, never heard of this until today. I downloaded the pressreader app and logged in using my Fingal library card number and sure enough I'm able to access newspapers and magazines no problem. My question is, while logged in using my library card, is this all free? Am I incurring any charges by accessing these titles? Seems too good to be true!

• Advertisement

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Thanks so much OP, never heard of this until today. I downloaded the pressreader app and logged in using my Fingal library card number and sure enough I'm able to access newspapers and magazines no problem. My question is, while logged in using my library card, is this all free? Am I incurring any charges by accessing these titles? Seems too good to be true!

Yes it’s free. If you were to create a standard (non library) account then you’d be asked for a credit card and it that case you’d be charged.

Advertisement