Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who are ISIS and what do they want...

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

smash wrote: »
    The first step is for organisations to have a zero tolerance policy. Want a prayer room? No! Want a Christmas tree? No! Want a special uniform? No!

Treat them all equal.

Ah jaysus there is no need to start a war against Christmas trees over this. Feck sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I was with you until you refused to allow Christmas trees :eek:
    Ah jaysus there is no need to start a war against Christmas trees over this. Feck sake

I know, I know... But we can't have one without the other. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I know, I know... But we can't have one without the other. :(

Grinch!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I'm no bible expert, but, I'm pretty sure Jesus never even heard of a Christmas tree.

It stays.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

There's a theory going around on some sites claiming that ISIS was created by the US & Israel to destabilize Syria & the Assad regime. Whether it's true or not, I don't know for sure but it's an interesting angle on it I guess.

• Advertisement

There's a theory going around on some sites claiming that ISIS was created by the US & Israel to destabilize Syria & the Assad regime. Whether it's true or not, I don't know for sure but it's an interesting angle on it I guess.
    Stop reading those sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I was with you until you refused to allow Christmas trees :eek:
    Just call it the capitalist bush. Hang money on it so the jolly fat postman brings you over priced presents that will be half the price two weeks later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

The first step is for organisations to have a zero tolerance policy. Want a prayer room? No! Want a Christmas tree? No! Want a special uniform? No!

Treat them all equal.

I'd argue that there is a strong cultural tradition here of putting up Christmas trees that has nothing to do with religion. Jesus was born in September but Christianity took the existing pagan winter festivals and bastardised it into the modern day Christmas so let's face it - Christmas trees have virtually no relevance to religious belief.

I'd be all in favor of letting people pray to whatever deity and observe whatever customs (within reason) they like as long as it's done in their own homes. Personally I believe in god about as much as I do in the existence of Russell's teapot but as universal acceptance of atheism is sadly unlikely to happen in my lifetime so it's not something I lose too much sleep over.

I do however feel that we need to crack down hard on the likes of Ali Selim. Irish schools should accommodate Islamic beliefs? Put public prayer rooms so that Muslims can pray five times a day? Stop teaching sex education in schools so that we don't offend your 'values? You can have all of the above in any number of third world shítholes around the world. We will not stand for it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brevity

Stop reading those sites.

Its Wikileaks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Who are ISIS and what do they want?

They want wiping off the face of the earth that's what they want!

ScumLord wrote: »
    Just call it the capitalist bush. Hang money on it so the jolly fat postman brings you over priced presents that will be half the price two weeks later.

So, are you telling me that if I hang money on my bush that the postman will leave some presents under it? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

So, are you telling me that if I hang money on my bush that the postman will leave some presents under it? :pac:

The postman, the milk man, the neighbour man...most men...and a few women too.:D

I guarantee it! :D

I'm sure they'd drop a package alright

I'm sure they'd drop a package alright

More than one? ;)

More than one? ;)
    Bulk orders are the equivalent of charity in capitalist Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

They are a mixed bunch. Some will be genuine certifiable lunatics, others are frustrated inadequate sad cases who see a chance to be a tough guy. Others will just be plain old scumbags, thieves and rapists. The promise of power, wealth and 72 virgins are powerful draws for guys who probably haven't done well in life.

What binds them is that they have chosen to focus on the death cult aspect of Islam. When your supposed prophet was a warlord and a mass murderer it isn't difficult to justify violence.

That said, the desire for the end of the world is not unique to Islam. All Abrahamic traditions preach and welcome the end of days,the apocalypse, armageddon, the reckoning, the rapture etc. These are not warm fuzzy stories about eternal happiness but actual literal depictions about our total annihilation and punishment for all eternity.

I've said it many times. We are far too far too tolerant of religion. Stories with absolutely no basis in fact for which there has never been a single verified shred of evidence. Stories which degrade our humanity and dignity. Stories whose sole purpose is to control.

They are a mixed bunch. Some will be genuine certifiable lunatics, others are frustrated inadequate sad cases who see a chance to be a tough guy. Others will just be plain old scumbags, thieves and rapists. The promise of power, wealth and 72 virgins are powerful draws for guys who probably haven't done well in life.
    I don't know, I wouldn't assume that. I know the desire is to paint them as mindless monsters but in reality there's probably plenty of smart people making what they see as logical decisions in ISIS.

You don't have to be stupid to succumb to religious dogma.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't know, I wouldn't assume that. I know the desire is to paint them as mindless monsters but in reality there's probably plenty of smart people making what they see as logical decisions in ISIS.

You don't have to be stupid to succumb to religious dogma.

I never said stupid

• Advertisement
Advertisement